Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:56   #1
BHPian

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria

While every trip has its own specialties and characteristics, This one had a completely different magnitude. My family and I have been living in the Netherlands for more than 8 years now, and we, just like many of you, never had to face such a (pandemic) situation ever before. A trip during this time has been a totally different experience.

Aug - Sep always used to be the time when we used to visit Kerala/India to meet friends and families.
However, this year is obviously different. Though I had some hopes earlier in the year, it became eventually very clear that trip to India, that too with a 2 year old, would not work out in 2020. So there was no plan at all for anything this year, but hectic work added with work-from-home situation made me really want to take a break and breath some fresh air.

Though we really wanted to go somewhere, we were equally concerned about the pandemic and associated restrictions. At some point I made my mind up and booked a farm house in a remote village in Austria. More on that later.

Chapter 0: The plan
I had first week of October + weekends to spend. The obvious initial thought was to be within Netherlands but that thought did not last too long.
We then looked at our all time favorite destination Black Forest in the south of Germany - but again we have been there numerous times and wanted something different if possible.
Looked at Swiss - but after a couple of trips we again wanted something different.
Finally we ended up in Austria, country where we have never been before. After many days of searching, we booked a nice farm house that is way remote from any major cities.
Why farm house? Many reasons.
  • We clearly wanted to stay away from cities where risk level is relatively higher during this pandemic times.
  • We wanted a very relaxed space including our own kitchen and lots of nature around.
  • This was my 2 year old's first long trip. I wanted to have enough of entertainment for her as well.
  • Finally and obviously, needed something within reasonable budget.

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-4.png
So here is a quick preview of where we spent a week. More on this property later.

Chapter 1: The route
Route from Netherlands to the destination in Austria spans over almost 1050 kilo meters one way.
That is something we can typically do it in one day in this part of the world.

Route starts with motorway A1 in the Netherlands which crosses over to Germany and then it's Autobahn 3 (Cologne, Frankfurt, Nuremberg) almost all the way.
I have done several one day drives covering over 1000 kms, which made me feel comfortable about the distance.
However, we had to plan extra time for stop-overs as we had our little one onboard.
Another factors was about the car - again more that in next section.

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-map1.jpg
Google maps route preview

Chapter 2: The car and the drive
I currently own and drive a VW Golf 1.6 TDI Blue motion station wagon MT (Pre-owned, 2015 Oct make)
Though I have done many 1000+/day drives in the past, this was the first one in this Golf.
I used to drive lease cars from my company (VW Golf, Open Astra & Volvo V40), however I had change in plans due to several reasons and bought a pre owned, Oct 2015 make mk7 Golf last year. I have never done such a long drive in Golf which forced myself on getting my annual service done a bit earlier than originally planned just for the peace of mind.

So the service was done with no surprises, I also bought a full size spare wheel (16") + tools which the car did not originally have (It had an air pump + puncture kit though). Many cars these days do not come with a spare wheel and you are expected to call up road side assistance if needed. Knowing that they can take hours to show up when you are abroad (experience from last year), I did not want to compromise on spare wheel.

Navigation: Waze is my favorite app for navigation for long highway drives. However I always carry my old little trusty Tom-tom via 130 as a back up. I have it plugged in all the time during long trips, just ready to go when in need. I have had few occasions where Waze did not work for some time when crossing country borders etc.

Other preps:
  • Car wash and basic cleaning done.
  • I always make it full tank the day before. That gives me a lot of joy
  • Made sure that all the papers are in place, like insurance, registration, license, road side assistance, service records etc.
  • Loaded all possible items the day before. Bags, baby stroller, other necessary items such as masks, sanitizers, snacks etc.
  • We also carried enough food for lunch and dinner.
  • Needless to say, flask full of coffee to keep energy levels high.

The drive: We left home at around 5:15. With almost no traffic, we crossed German border in about an hour and half (Did I say that Netherlands is a small country? !!).
Took a short stop for quick break fast of bread/Jam/Banana and tea after couple of hours and continued the drive.

People talk about Autobahns for having no-speed limit, but I always wonder why no one talks about those never-ending road works. Those who have driven would know what I am talking about.
I almost never had a road trip in or passing through Germany with out spending time on road works.

Having said, the next parking spot for lunch was much more refreshing. It had a nice river view with not a lot of crowd.
It was about 13:45 and decided to take an hour break.

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-1.png
Curd rice, Pickle and few lays chips for lunch, followed by some sweets!
We almost always have curd rice as our carry-along lunch/dinner while road tripping.
Easy to make, pack and carry and it will last a whole day or even two.

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-2.png
The spot had very clean area to walk/sit however we did not use the table for the fear of Covid!
it was still worth taking a quick walk along the river.

After about an hour and half into the break, we continued to drive further. Needless to say, rest of the family ended up taking a fairly long nap after a nice lunch.
I had re filled my coffee and kept a few snacks near by to keep my attention and pace active.

Name:  3.png
Views: 5279
Size:  1.30 MB
When the roads are good, I kept speeds at about 140-150 on cruise control.
I could see hints of mountains at a distance after a few more hours of driving and that was, needless to say, very inspiring.

A few other points about the VW Golf 1.6 TDI Blue motion (After about a year, 18k kms and first long drive)
  • Obvious quality of fit and finish of a German make and well thought out interiors. VW has been applying all their learnings from past in every new version of golf and that's clearly evident.
  • Space - being a wagon, space is always a strong point. In fact one of the reasons I moved away from my earlier hatch backs is to have a larger space (Baby on board!).
  • Very easy to drive and operate. All controls are at where you would expect them to be.
  • Comfortable seats but could have been better (Volvo V40 had best seats I ever used). We earlier had a fantastic week in Norway in V40 (A glimpse of Norway - a week on the roads) and never had better seating experience.
  • Fairly stable at speeds though I did not really push it too hard.
  • Very economical. I averaged about 18 kmpl with AC/Heater + Autobahn speeds. I am averaging 19-22 kmpl on regular speeds while being in Netherlands.
  • Cornering lights and heated seats - can't live with out them anymore.
  • While 1.6 TDI is more than enough for Dutch motorways where speed limits are at 130 max, Its on a stretch while being on German autobahns with full load.
  • My overall summary is that its a very reliable (done about 18k so far), easy to operate, economical and very predictable car. Looking forward to many more years of ownership.

The problems:
The annual service was just about the regular stuff.
I faced a check engine light on 4th day of this Austria trip due to glow plug burn issue.
After a few phone calls around, I got it replaced at nearby authorized service center.
Name:  19.png
Views: 5182
Size:  1.35 MB
The service center folks were very friendly and super aware of all corona measures.
Very happy to have been there. Did you see their Golf 8 demo car at a distance? !!

Fuel costs: Fuel stop in Germany costed me € 1.399 per liter, however this is an Autobahn stop. Gas near motorways are always more costly.
Fuel in Austria was cheapest at € 0.988 per liter. Netherlands had € 1.379 however thats again price at motorway gas stations.
Gas station close to me home in Netherlands costs at the moment € 1.074 per liter.

Chapter 3: The stay
After a few more hours and a few short stops, we finally reached the our destination at around 18:30. The host was waiting for us and all the check in process went very smooth within a few minutes.
The farm is located in a place called Donnersbachwald which is located in the province of Styria.
Though I was super excited about the place, we settled down for a quick dinner and early sleep.

This is a family run farm which has some nice touches.
  • Its a live farm where they converted one of the buildings to 4 apartments for guests/tourists.
  • Each apartment has it's own small kitchen and sit-out or balcony.
  • They have cows, chickens, horses and a dog
  • The farm seem to have been there for around 200 years.
  • They produce their own electricity. It even powers the heaters in each room.
  • The place gets really crowded in summer and winter (Lots of skiing possibilities around which explains the winter crowds)

Here are a few photos of where we spent a week.

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-8.png
Building on the right is where the apartments are. We were in ground floor.
The whole area is a part of a nice valley. Usually they have their cows and horses in this space.
While we were there, we were the only family staying over which made it very special as the whole farm was available to us.

Name:  9.png
Views: 5073
Size:  1.79 MB
Needless to say, little one really enjoyed it to the core.
She had never experienced these sort of things before and obviously wanted to always run behind the chickens and the dog.

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-17.png
The little one and her mom taking a walk.

Name:  5.png
Views: 5036
Size:  1.46 MB
The other side of the farm where the parking space was located.
They also had a pressure washer that I used for a quick wash as the car was very dirty after a day of travel

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-26.png
The front area of the building where there are small playgrounds and a toy wooden house for kids, a BBQ grill and a place for evening drinks etc.

Chapter 4: The short drives around
Though we spent most of our time in farm itself, we made a few short drives.
1. The top of the mountain:
Not too far, but a few kms of drive from where we stayed. The host's dad was kind enough to take us up in his Jeep renegade 4x4. The family owns vast amount of land on top and its primarily used for cattle during summer and also for a bit of hunting. They have a few cabins around where sometimes they spend time. The place has no electricity from grid. Everything comes from solar. There is free running water from the area which is also forming a stream that powers their mini hydro electric plant.

Here are a few photos.
Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-10.png
The log cabins. This place is about 1900 meters above sea level. No one goes there in winter.
Summers are more active as the family brings all their cows over here and spends a few weeks.

Name:  11.png
Views: 4913
Size:  1.67 MB
Out little one with the host's dad.
If you are eagle eyed, you would have noticed that the cabin has wooden roof, even the pipe like rain water collectors are made out of wood.

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-12.png
Another view of the stream flowing near by.

Name:  24.png
Views: 4887
Size:  1.30 MB
In it's natural habitat!!.

2. The Grossglockner High Alpine Road:
Probably you have heard about this one.
Distance from Donnersbachwald: 160 Kms.

Wiki says: The Grossglockner High Alpine Road is the highest surfaced mountain pass road in Austria. It connects Bruck in the state of Salzburg with Heiligenblut in Carinthia via Fuscher Törl and Hochtor Pass at 2,504 m (8,215 ft). The road is named after the Grossglockner, Austria's highest mountain.

As you can probably guess, the timing was not ideal. This is one of those locations where you would enjoy more in summer. The roads get closed pretty much thought out the winter months.
Why did I choose to go? Being so close to such a significant location, I just wanted to visit. Clearly whether was not in our favor but I am still very happy that I had a chance to drive along.

A few photos for memories.
Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-13.png
The Grossglockner High Alpine Road

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-14.png

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-15.png

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-16.png
On our drive back, we took a break for lunch.

3. Hallstatt:
Another place that you might have heard of. This is one of those picture perfect locations.
Distance from Donnersbachwald: 65 Kms.

Usually the place is super packed with tourists, however Corona had a huge impact. The visitors were relatively very low.
We spent a few hours walking along the lake and grabbed some nice photos.

Name:  22.png
Views: 4683
Size:  1.62 MB
I think you agree on how perfectly picture perfect Hallstatt is.

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-23.png
There is a small city center nearby.

4. Other nearly by villages/twisty roads:
We spent many hours through out the week walking and driving around.
No specific destinations, but just kept on exploring nearly villages and roads.
In this part of Austria, most of the farms are also home stays or offer some sort of tourist activities.
Some are also into organizing winter holidays with skiing being the main attraction.

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-6.png
Super nice small roads all around. It was quite an experience to roam around and explore the area.

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-20.png
We spent quite some time near this small stream.
Very clean and filled with lots of small stones, our little one clearly did not want to go back home.

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-21.png
Another picture perfect spot where we enjoyed walking around.

Name:  25.png
Views: 4539
Size:  1.22 MB
More hilly and twisty roads.

Chapter 6: The corona stuff

As already mentioned, it was a lot of confusions in the initial days of planning.
With amount of information passing by and the magnitude of changes each day, it was complex to make minds up.

At some point, google searches narrowed down to these websites:

Netherlands, Germany and Austria.
  • During the time we travelled (First/Second week of Oct), The travel within EU was allowed even for leisure unless the location was a red zone.
  • We had no problems in crossing the borders. There were no checking anywhere on our route.
  • Unlike earlier times, we made sure that we carry enough water and food so that we could reduce our stops to a minimum.
  • Social distancing and face masks were 'recommended' or enforced in most of the indoor spaces like inside a gas station for example.
  • We had our face masks on when ever we were inside any building and we always made sure that social distance is respected.
  • We also carried multiple bottles of sanitizes in car so that we could always clean hands after having contacts.

Apart from these factors, there were no other issues as far as travel is concerned.
Germany had requirements to produce Covid test report however it was not required for transiting through Germany by road.
Netherlands also had quarantine requirements upon our return, however the province we have been to in Austria was not under red zone, hence it was not required to be in quarantine.

Chapter 6: Travelling with a baby
I think we have lots of very valuable information in team bhp itself.
However a few key points to remember after travelling with my two years old.
  • Child/Baby seats are mandatory. Good quality ones are recommended. I have one that can be adjusted for sleeping positions as well and that was very handy.
  • By having an early start, she was able to continue sleeping for many hours.
  • Make sure that baby has comfortable clothes.
  • Though she can perfectly walk (and run!), We carried her stroller as well which came in handy in a lot of places - Thanks to Golf's large boot.
  • Carry enough water, milk, snacks etc.
  • Small bag with things like pampers, milk bottles, etc: we always carry it inside the car so that you dont have to stop the car to access them.
  • Flask with hot water; Kettle for later use.
  • We changed her diapers and she took small walks when ever we stopped to stretch a bit.
  • We carried some small toys but she did not really use them!

Chapter 7: The return trip
The return trip was of no major events except a traffic block in Germany that caused a couple of hours of delay.
It was a Saturday and we arrived back home by midnight and spent the Sunday taking some proper rest before hitting work (from home) on Monday.

I think that is it for now. Thank you for your time.
Dileep.

Last edited by GTO : 4th November 2020 at 12:09. Reason: As requested
dileepcm is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 06:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:53   #3
BHPian

Re: Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria

I'm sure it must have been a super fun trip.
My friends and I did a similar trip from The Netherlands to Austria during Christmas 2013. We started off from Delft and went down to the Nassfeld ski resort in south Austria (bordering Italy).

Since it was December, winter tyres are compulsory in Germany and Austria (and also recommended, as can be seen in the picture below). However, rental cars in NL don't come with winter tyres. Hence, i went to the closest German town and hired a car from there and drove it back to Delft, NL to pick up friends and luggage.

This was also the first time that i drove on ice/snow. Was a completely different experience, and got bitten once by the black ice. No Volvo safety gizmos can protect you once you're floating on a sheet of ice. Luckily, there were no cars around me, and i could slide across the lanes without hitting anyone thus allowing the car to slow down considerably before we hit the curb, just causing minor rim damage and we could continue on our journey. That day i realized, rain/water has a LOT of grip; ICE, well it's a different story.

We made the onward journey on 25th December, thus we were met by totally empty roads everywhere and coupled with the Autobahns, we covered 1300 km in 14 hours (including meal, fuel, rest stops)

Snowy peaks:
Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-wp_20131227_14_26_26_pro.jpg

Last edited by jalsa777 : 4th November 2020 at 14:02.
jalsa777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 15:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
I'm sure it must have been a super fun trip.

Since it was December, winter tyres are compulsory in Germany and Austria
Indeed, it was very nice to have a break and breath some fresh air.
Important note about winter tyres. I had them too, but I totally missed it in the post! Thanks a lot for the mention.
dileepcm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 17:44   #5
BHPian

Nicely written travelogue. Austria is one of the most beautiful country in Europe which is quite evident from the stunning pictures you have shared.

The location of your stay is absolutely superb, perfect during pandemic time in the lap of nature.
Deadpool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 17:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Me and my friends went on a trip to Austria in Christmas 2018 though we took a train (German ICE from Belgium) since none of us had a license then!

I must say, Austria is indeed a gem, especially during Christmas!

Here are some photos from our trip at Salzburg, Hallstatt and Üntersberg.

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-5c1d3c76f4a446beb2cdde8ba121ec5f.jpeg

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-864c9a94b8fa410ebc81c26cd6eb6b58.jpeg

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-af22ac1b928f49a28dd98667829629c7.jpeg

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-15e8a57bedcb4db78c7d2df53d733392.jpeg

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-68720e9a438e4b3b88a74729eb9caedf.jpeg

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-eed0a88cb0034dccb00dd924bc3a3d59.jpeg

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-eb7ff01180954284ae528f42a714a484.jpeg

Last edited by dragracer567 : 4th November 2020 at 17:56.
dragracer567 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 19:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Austria is one of the most beautiful country in Europe which is quite evident from the stunning pictures you have shared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
I must say, Austria is indeed a gem, especially during Christmas!
Absolutely true. Austria has tons on offer and one trip is not enough at all.
Thanks for sharing amazing photos!
Old 4th November 2020, 22:51   #8
BHPian

Nice travelogue, Dileep, thanks for sharing! Austria is a beautiful country and the drive from the Netherlands is fun, unless you have traffic jams on the Autobahn or bad weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepcm View Post
Fuel costs: Fuel stop in Germany costed me € 1.399 per liter, however this is an Autobahn stop. Gas near motorways are always more costly.
Fuel in Austria was cheapest at € 0.988 per liter. Netherlands had € 1.379 however thats again price at motorway gas stations.
Gas station close to me home in Netherlands costs at the moment € 1.074 per liter.
Diesel is indeed the ideal choice of fuel for long trips like these. I opted for a petrol car and ended up with a significant bill, but then, the driving experience on the 320i made me forget the premium
IIRC, the price difference in Austria and Germany between Petrol and Diesel is not as much as it is in the Netherlands, right?
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 00:37   #9
BHPian

Austria is just a picture postcard come to life. I was there in 2017 and just loved the country. Brings back great memories from my trip.

Any excuse to post pics from previous trips, especially this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-img_1795.jpg  

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-img_2242-1.jpg  

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-img_2338.jpg  

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-img_1702.jpg  

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-img_2461.jpg  

sup? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 04:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Nice travelogue, Dileep, thanks for sharing! ....the 320i made me forget the premium
IIRC, the price difference in Austria and Germany between Petrol and Diesel is not as much as it is in the Netherlands, right?
Thanks. 320i indeed is a nice excuse to be on premium league.
I too think so that the difference is higher in Netherlands, though I have not checked pricing in detail yet.

Coming to my diesel mill, though monthly taxes are in triple digits in NL for diesel cars, I still opted for a diesel because of 1. I like them, 2. My travelling job. Corona kept the miles relatively low this year, otherwise diesel car's costs works out to be better for my ~30 to 35k kms per year schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
Brings back great memories from my trip.

Any excuse to post pics from previous trips, especially this year.
Excellent photos there! Thanks for sharing.
Old 5th November 2020, 19:12   #11
BANNED

In all the pictures where you have parked your car besides the road, the car is facing the wrong side. In Europe they drive on the right side and your car is facing the left/opposite traffic. From what I read while preparing for my Driving license theory, parking on the side of a road with car face towards wrong side can attract a fine.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 21:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
In all the pictures where you have parked your car besides the road, the car is facing the wrong side. In Europe they drive on the right side and your car is facing the left/opposite traffic. From what I read while preparing for my Driving license theory, parking on the side of a road with car face towards wrong side can attract a fine.
Thanks for the remark. However those were dedicated parking bays. I was not parked on the lane where there is live traffic. In that case, Is it still counted as parking facing wrong side?
Couple of pics to add slightly different view these spots.

Name:  30.png
Views: 1139
Size:  1.51 MB

Road trip during Corona times - Netherlands to Austria-31.png
Old 5th November 2020, 22:27   #13
BANNED

Yes, when you parallel park by the side of a road, whether its in city or countryside, the car should be aligned towards the direction of traffic.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 22:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Yes, when you parallel park by the side of a road, whether its in city or countryside, the car should be aligned towards the direction of traffic.
Thanks a lot for the insight. Well noted!
Old 14th November 2020, 09:35   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quite many logs on Austria I see on the forum. Already 2actively running ones! What I realized, many folks taking international trips to EU, would usually club multiple countries into one and go around.

While they get to see the important places, they do miss out on that nice interiors well hidden locations, which are the true gems. If one can think/afford, one vacation one country is the best go about it.

Also I see Austria to be far less crowded compared to Switzerland and still as beautiful as it can be. The country side views are just brilliant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks