Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 13:17   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
When someone says balls of steel, the photo of you standing beside your car on the highway will definitely come to my mind!
Thanks a lot dude. My love for my car is endless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almetal View Post
Lovely write up and travelogue. Made me nostalgic about my own trip to Bhutan a few years ago. Fond memories.
Do write something about your car as well, the enthusiasts amongst us have a special place in our hearts for this one.
Hey thanks a lot and yeah this car is special to many enthusiasts in the country. Regarding my car its a 2002 Honda city vtec. I'm the second owner and its done 1,46,000 kms on the odo. I'ts my daily driver and I have lots of memories with it and taken it on many long drives.

Please keep the city and it will serve you for years to come. These cars are bomb proof.

I agree with you on the naturally aspirated engines. Im also a huge fan of them. The turbo petrol engines have more stress internally and don't know if they will be reliable and last long as naturally aspirated engines in the long run.
I love to rev and that is something only true petrol heads like us cherish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astitva View Post
Very well written. I like the fact that you stay skeptical on roads (as highlighted during the incidents with 4 people with AK-47s and the Auto guy signalling to follow him) and don't trust anyone blindly. I follow the same approach, better be safe than sorry.
Thanks a lot. On trips like this when you are in unknown territory, its always better to be alert and be on guard. Getting into tough situations is the last thing you want in such times.

I am happy you like my car. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
What a wonderful, wonderful travelogue this is. Both, me and my mom read this together, and we both were moist eyes by the end of it. Stuff of dreams man, kudos.
Hey thank you for your feedback. Im glad you and your mom loved my blog. The honda city is an amazing car and a trusted brand. Hope you too plan lots of such trips in the future. All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Wonderful travelogue and great pictures! Such a long trip in your car is a testament to well-engineered cars of the era which can go on with just simple regular maintenance.
Hey thank you for the valuable information.I fully agree its a testament to cars of that era which are built to last and they do take a beating without a sweat.

Regarding the roads of Jharkhand, I had no clue about the state of the roads there and I din't know anyone to contact there as well. So I just went for it and thankfully I made it through in one piece.

The image you have shared is really crazy and that dip there is really a car killer. Thank god I din't have to encounter such road, although my encounter with that hump almost ended my trip.

Also regarding SUV's I simply don't understand the craze around them. The only advantage they have is ground clearance. Other than that they don't handle well and sitting in them for long distances feels like a boat. It tires you a lot and I personally hate going in them. Sedans are planted onto the ground and you sit much lower. Long distances seems a breeze compared to SUV's and MUV's. The roads have also improved vastly in the country baring a few roads. There is no reason for giving such excuses anymore, thats my opinion and Im sure many of you might disagree.

Last edited by ampere : 15th August 2020 at 22:35. Reason: back to back posts merged
AnishRanjan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 15:22   #32
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru to Bhutan in a 1st-gen Honda City Vtec!

One unforgettable journey for you for sure, the photographs of sky in Day 3 was amazing. Your car still looks very fresh and stunning in this red shade. I wish I could be as lucky as you are to own this brilliant machine, but age restrictions in Delhi does not allow to drive cars more than 15 years :(. I really enjoyed reading the travelogue and drooling the pictures of City Vtec.
Old 15th August 2020, 15:25   #33
BHPian

Amazing writeup Anish. It's like a captains log book. You have seemed to have enjoyed the trip and also capture the essence of it for readers and drivers aspiring for such a trip.

Also I am really glad you could make this happen just before the world shutdown for Covid.

I wonder if when such a trip can now be possible.

Question: at any time did you feel you would have been better of in an SUV during this trip? Some of the scenarios I felt you managed well because of your trusted steed.

Well, in my mind you achieved three things in a single trip: went and enjoyed Bhutan experience, with your life partner and topping it off in your trusted steed.

Hats off to you three and may you continue to make such pleasure trips in the years to come.

Godspeed!
Old 15th August 2020, 17:25   #34
BHPian

Absolutely love the travelogue. Congratulations to you and mrs for making this trip, stories of which will hopefully passed on for generations to come.

I had the same Vtec for 15 years and I miss driving the spunky awesome car. Even the new city's are not in the same league. I think it remains one of the best driver's car to hug our roads... German's included.

Take care of the car and hopefully we will see and experience more adventures in the Vtec through you.
Old 15th August 2020, 17:41   #35
BHPian

It was an absolute treat reading your adventurous journey . Have always longed to go to a neighboring country by road and your journey just made me crave more for it.
Your 1st gen honda city is really a gem of a car and it just proved it more with this adventure of yours. Kudos to the write up and more journeys to come
Old 15th August 2020, 17:55   #36
BHPian

Thank you so much, Anish. For sharing this beautiful and yet, an epic journey on your vtec! But, missed one thing in a whole lot. What is your vtec spec? I meant, your car, in whole. Could you shed us some light on this regard.
Old 15th August 2020, 18:21   #37

Such a sweet travelogue and what a machine! Driving to Bhutan has always been on my bucket list - even better if in a car as enjoyable as the first-generation Honda City!

It is commendable that you have maintained the car so well. And of course, the reliability of the first-generation Honda City has always been legendary.

I hope the car lasts for a long time and you will be able to do many more such fantastic road trips!
Old 15th August 2020, 18:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Just a quick question: Your wife taking a flight was part of the original plan? Just curious why that. That sounds like a good option for the passengers if they do not want to spend another few days on road while return.
Old 15th August 2020, 22:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
Amazing writeup Anish. It's like a captains log book. You have seemed to have enjoyed the trip and also capture the essence of it for readers and drivers aspiring for such a trip.
Thanks a lot, Im glad you enjoyed reading it. Covid was never in anyone's mind back then but the CAA protests were bad and it was equally challenging mentally.

I absolutely hate SUV's as they feel like a boat to travel in and not comfortable to travel long distances in my opinion. Im confident of my car and have driven it on roads and scenarios where you are not supposed to. So the answer to your question is not and it never crossed my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Absolutely love the travelogue. Congratulations to you and mrs for making this trip, stories of which will hopefully passed on for generations to come.
Thank you so much and yeah hope stories like this keep the flame alive among enthusiasts. I don't know the reason why you sold it but in opinion you could have kept it. They don't make cars like this anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitm29 View Post
One unforgettable journey for you for sure, the photographs of sky in Day 3 was amazing. Your car still looks very fresh and stunning in this red shade.
Thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. It's sad being in Delhi and the restrictions there are crazy. The maroon colour is one of the best colours in my opinion for this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chembilath View Post
It was an absolute treat reading your adventurous journey.
Hey thanks a lot and if you have that passion to drive and explore you should surely go ahead visit Bhutan by road. The first gen city is definitely a gem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvsben View Post
Thank you so much, Anish. For sharing this beautiful and yet, an epic journey on your vtec! But, missed one thing in a whole lot. What is your vtec spec? I meant, your car, in whole. Could you shed us some light on this regard.
Thank you so much. Mine is a 2002 Honda City vtec. Fully stock car with no modifications and I want it to be as close to factory spec as possible. No plans on modifying it as well, want to enjoy it as long as possible and plan on keeping it stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyumnakalagi View Post
Such a sweet travelogue and what a machine! Driving to Bhutan has always been on my bucket list - even better if in a car as enjoyable as the first-generation Honda City!
Thank you for your kind words and you should definitely drive to Bhutan and get it off your bucket list then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Just a quick question: Your wife taking a flight was part of the original plan? Just curious why that. That sounds like a good option for the passengers if they do not want to spend another few days on road while return.
The thing is my wife had limited holidays and she had to be in office, so the only option to squeeze the schedule was her flying at the end of our Bhutan journey. Its a good option for passengers definitely as they might not be that interested on driving as we are and they might be tired at the end of the Bhutan leg of the trip. So them flying back will make it easier for all the parties involved.

Last edited by ampere : 15th August 2020 at 22:37. Reason: back to back posts merged
AnishRanjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 16:23   #40
BHPian

Kudos to you! That too in the 02 City! Don't mean to undermine but great that an 18 year old car held up! A childhood bud of mine did Bangalore-Leh-Bangalore on his dad's '74 Jawa couple of years ago! That too solo!

This also reminds me of my solo ride to Nagaland on my then Z800! Good times!
Old 16th August 2020, 17:09   #41
BHPian

Thanks for sharing - well written travelogue with great pictures.

Brought back a whole lot of memories from my Bhutan trip in April 2019.

The detail of Phobjikha valley is interesting. Probably I should have planned for this and Haa Valley.

Cheers
CarrotEater
Old 16th August 2020, 20:46   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnishRanjan View Post
Conclusion

It’s a trip I will never forget and it was a test of both man and machine. I had to push many days to my limit and beyond, learnt a lot about myself. Coming to my car, although I was confident about it before the trip, somewhere in the back of my mind I was a little worried. I knew if I did encounter any breakdown in the middle of my trip or in Bhutan, I was going to be all alone. If it were to be a major breakdown I knew getting parts would be next to impossible and I had decided to put in on a truck if any such thing happened. All of those were only imagination and none of such things ever happened. There were very small hiccups and my car was bulletproof. There were days when I was tired after driving 20 hours straight and it didn’t break a sweat. Hats off to Honda for building this car and it stands the testimony of time in terms of build quality and rock solid reliability. Nature and I had thrown everything at it from really hot days, to very dusty climate, broken roads, no roads, mountainous regions, snow, ice and rain. It triumphed it all and clocked 6,500 odd kms without any hitch.
Awesome post AnishRanjan. As you experienced, the stretch between Cuttack or Kharagpur and Siliguri has been a nightmare, whether you take a detour via Ranchi or otherwise. Loved your dedication to your machine, your narration and your photographs as well. Hope to hear more from you. Cheers!
AD
Old 16th August 2020, 21:21   #43
BHPian

An absolutely epic travelogue.
Rated a well deserved 5 stars. I have no words to express appreciation for your Honda City.
Your car is evident enough to show that a car well maintained serves loyally for ages...
Do open a thread and share your ownership experience with your beloved City.
Looking forward to reading many more travelogues with your City.
Cheers.
Old 16th August 2020, 23:18   #44
BHPian

Many congratulations! You have done an amazing trip.

I really envy you for the ivtec though. It is really difficult to find a stock old gen Honda City these days.
Old 17th August 2020, 09:32   #45
BHPian

Lovely write up AnishRanjan and a brave decision taking an 18 year old Honda on a 6500kms road trip on not just smooth tarmac but through mountains and places where roads didn't even exist !!

I can imaging what would have gone through your mind when,
1. you saw men with AK47 on the lonely road in the forest
2. A man stopping your car (CAA protest) in a totally new area/state with no one to help you should you land in an trouble.

You are lucky and I am sure its your "stars" that helped you in these situations as they say fortune favors the brave.
tanaysn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks