Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2020, 00:37   #16
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Great TL @//M. I completed the Guwahati-Shillong-Dawki-Sohra trip end of Dec 2019, and have vivid memories. I too had thought of hiring a Zoom Ecosport, but chose to get my hotels and travel through a travel agency instead, based on a friend's advice. This is because it is very difficult to find parking in Shillong, and also tough to soak the views while driving. But in retrospect, I think I should have hired a self-drive car.

I did not even think of taking the Double Decker living root bridge owing to paucity of time and also due to the fact that I am no longer young or fit enough to take on such arduous treks.

Good to know you had a good time.
Thank You vnabhi.

Shillong traffic is a real mess, glad that people atleast follow lane discipline. But parking is still a big concern. Even we were stuck for hours in the traffic while exiting and entering the city but luckily our place of stay had enough parking space.

The double-decker root bridge trek indeed is quite taxing, more so because of the unending flight of stairs. The trails are less demanding but the stairs are very exhausting specially on the knees. As far as BMI is concerned, I fall under the Obese Level I category so I was quite concerned if I will be able to pull it off. The beauty of the place and the wonderful fresh air did wonders though. Not even once did I feel that I won't be able to pull it off while I was at it. Infact, I really enjoyed the hike and with only a little effort, I could easily keep up with my fitness-crazy friends despite the fact that it was quite an uphill task.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 10:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
So in order to do away with video calls, we typically go on a 4-5 day trip to some place which doesn't requires much planning. This annual pilgrimage is essentially to re-connect with friends, relax a bit and share a laugh with the squad.
Lovely report there Arunabh. I was expecting a bike trip, but was pleasantly surprised. I have always wanted to visit the North-East part of of our country, but its a bit too far for a road trip.

A zoomcar seems to be the best solution as you have done.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 10:50   #18

Well written! I did my Pre University in Union Christian College in the early 90's, the college is located on the shores of the Umiam lake, it is a stunning location. I have many fond memories of the 2 years i lived there. Your post has inspired me to take a trip down memory lane once its safe to travel again.
GeoffreyF is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 17:35   #19
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Lovely report there Arunabh. I was expecting a bike trip, but was pleasantly surprised. I have always wanted to visit the North-East part of of our country, but its a bit too far for a road trip.

A zoomcar seems to be the best solution as you have done.
How I wish I went on a motorcycle though. Some of those empty mountain roads were so inviting !

Even while driving the car, I was focusing on hitting the apex as if I am on a motorcycle around a racetrack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffreyF View Post
Well written! I did my Pre University in Union Christian College in the early 90's, the college is located on the shores of the Umiam lake, it is a stunning location. I have many fond memories of the 2 years i lived there. Your post has inspired me to take a trip down memory lane once its safe to travel again.
That is great to know, Umiam Lake is indeed beautiful. I had once on a previous occasion been to the Ri Kynjai resort which is situated on the banks of Umiam Lake and the views from right up there were absolutely splendid.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 20:56   #20
BHPian

I recently did a trip to this sector in November 2019 and your travelogue made me relive every bit of it to the fullest. What a pleasant read ! Rated a 5* for the fantastic pictures.

Sharing a link to my travelogue : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...meghalaya.html (Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya)

Bumping into your thread and sharing some pictures from my experience.

Cherry Blossom in Shillong :
Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-2.jpg

Rock Show in Shillong :
Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-3.jpg

Krang Shuri Water Falls :
Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-4.jpg

Dawki River :
Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-5.jpg

Cleanest Asian Village of Mawlynnong :
Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-6.jpg

The Double Decker Root Bridge :
Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-7.jpg

Nongkhnum Island Beach :
Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-9.jpg

Pineapples of Shillong :
Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-10.jpg

The road to Sohra :
Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-img_2831.jpg

My Endeavour posing amidst nowhere :
Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-1.jpg

Did the Zoomcars have Speed Governors ?
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 23:31   #21
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
I recently did a trip to this sector in November 2019 and your travelogue made me relive every bit of it to the fullest. What a pleasant read ! Rated a 5* for the fantastic pictures.

Sharing a link to my travelogue : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...meghalaya.html (Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya)
What beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. I don't now how I missed your thread. It is a wonderfully written and very detailed travelogue !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Did the Zoomcars have Speed Governors ?
Yes the Zoomcars had speed governors at 125 kph. I think Zoomcars now have a governor at 80 kph itself.
Old 11th April 2020, 17:27   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome trip log //M. Very nicely penned in and amazing snaps. Brought back lots of wonderful memories. For anyone who have visited the North East, I guess they'd always yearn to get back there once again. That said, I concede that it isn't easy to get there like other places. Well, if it was easy, then where's the fun in it?
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 21:03   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

What a picturesque travelogue! In one word, it's brilliant. Rated 5*

How much did you miss your Tiger on these roads?

Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-73252090_3449010125170856_7371701615666921472_o.jpg
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 23:24   #24
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Awesome trip log //M. Very nicely penned in and amazing snaps. Brought back lots of wonderful memories. For anyone who have visited the North East, I guess they'd always yearn to get back there once again. That said, I concede that it isn't easy to get there like other places. Well, if it was easy, then where's the fun in it?
Thank You !!

Very well said, Sir. North East is indeed elusive but therein lies the beauty of the place. The time and effort invested in such trips is really rewarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
What a picturesque travelogue! In one word, it's brilliant. Rated 5*

How much did you miss your Tiger on these roads?
Many thanks Samba da. Lovely click of the Guwahati - Shillong road.

Actually this trip happened way back in Dec 2017 and the Tiger graced my garage in March 2018. Frankly speaking, back then I had not made up my mind to buy the Tiger. The plan actually took shape in early 2018. That said, I did miss a motorcycle on these roads. Sparse traffic, beautiful tarmac and stunning vistas all around made me yearn for a motorcycle ride here. Hope to ride to Meghalaya and other parts of North East soon. But riding down all the way from Gurgaon to these places would need some additional days and sadly in my case, getting leaves from work is always a huge challenge !
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 14:29   #25
BHPian

Super narration and photographs.
Meghalaya is a very beautiful state with falls, hills, hillocks, valleys and greeneries split by the tarred road. We made an insane 4 day visit Shillong and Cherra and still feel that it was a sacrilege. Got to visit it once again!
I too am bombing your thread with a photo from my collection

Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-_dsc8053.jpg

Cheers!
Sayak
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 10:57   #26
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Super narration and photographs.
Meghalaya is a very beautiful state with falls, hills, hillocks, valleys and greeneries split by the tarred road. We made an insane 4 day visit Shillong and Cherra and still feel that it was a sacrilege. Got to visit it once again!
I too am bombing your thread with a photo from my collection
Cheers!
Sayak
Thank You Sayak da.

I have been to Meghalaya thrice now and every single time I have seen atleast 3-4 new places that I had no clue about during my previous visit. This trip of mine happened in Dec 2017 and now 2+ years later, I already know 3-4 new places that I have never been to, thanks to instagram posts of like-minded people. Meghalaya seems to be an unending mystery. There is so much to see and so much to explore. For instance, there is a hiking route from Rainbow Falls to the base of Nohkalikai Falls, so basically one can walk down from Cherrapunjee to Nongriat, further to Rainbow Falls and then further to Nohkalikai Falls (marked in yellow in the image below) - must be an exciting trail to explore !

Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-g-maps.png
Old 14th April 2020, 22:51   #27
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Found a few more pictures from the trip in the archives.

The Creta 1.4 CRDi and Figo 1.5 TDCi that gave us company during the trip

Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-img_5520.jpg

Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-img_5549.jpg

Saw this beautiful Zen Carbon at the Polo Orchid resort in Cherrapunjee

Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-img_5736.jpg

The Seven Sisters Waterfalls and the adjoining cliff as seen from the restaurant at Polo Orchid resort

Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-img_5548.jpg

Our cottages at Polo Orchid resort, the plains of Bangladesh visible in the background

Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-img_5730.jpg

A beautiful natural plunge pool near Rainbow Falls

Zoom'd to Meghalaya - The abode of the clouds-img_5713.jpg
//M is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks