Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 20:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Southern Africa: Namibia road-trip in a Toyota Hilux

Wow, this is "National Geographic" stuff. Really amazing to see wilderness in desert. This thread will kindle most of us to add this to our bucket list. The drone shots are great, giving a perspective which we couldn't feel otherwise.

Loved reading every bit of it.
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 21:15   #32
BHPian

Grand Tour (Top Gear) Special

Excellent Travelogue. Having seen the Grand Tour Namibia episode, I can very well relate to many places and their challenging conditions that you've mentioned. By the way
TN13Sleeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 11:38   #33
A M
BHPian

Excellent travelogue Doc.

I was on the eastern coast of Africa for 15 days in May in Mozambique. It is also a beautiful country with towns giving a very European vibe. The driving sense over there is also excellent. I had a Nissan NP300 Hardbody at my disposal.

But Mozambique does not have the "dunes meeting the sea" vistas that you got to experience.

I hope my next African holiday is driving in Namibia.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 18:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Wow, this is "National Geographic" stuff. Really amazing to see wilderness in desert. This thread will kindle most of us to add this to our bucket list. The drone shots are great, giving a perspective which we couldn't feel otherwise.

Loved reading every bit of it.
Thanks petrol_power for the National geographic comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN13Sleeper View Post
Excellent Travelogue. Having seen the Grand Tour Namibia episode, I can very well relate to many places and their challenging conditions that you've mentioned. By the way
Thanks TN13Sleeper, Unfortunately i did not watch GT namibia, now i will watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Excellent travelogue Doc.

I was on the eastern coast of Africa for 15 days in May in Mozambique. It is also a beautiful country with towns giving a very European vibe. The driving sense over there is also excellent. I had a Nissan NP300 Hardbody at my disposal.

But Mozambique does not have the "dunes meeting the sea" vistas that you got to experience.

I hope my next African holiday is driving in Namibia.
Great to know that you travelled 15 days in east africa, every country has its unique charm. Desert meeting the ocean is unique to Namibia.
drbones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 17:55   #35
BHPian

This is some next level adventure. Big fan of your threads. This region has always fascinated me. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to pen down such a wonderful experience. Keep traveling Doc.
ARAY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:38   #36
BHPian

Someone traveling to Africa for leisure is such a rarity and I never knew that Africa has countries that are not touched by modernization. The wildlife pics itself are a delight to the eyes! The SUV's there too deserve a special mention to withstand the harsh vagaries of Namibia. That's some next level of wanderlust you have Doc! Wish we had such tough SUV's in India as well. Rated 5 stars for the thread.

Last edited by jithin23 : 23rd August 2019 at 12:41.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
This is some next level adventure. Big fan of your threads. This region has always fascinated me. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to pen down such a wonderful experience. Keep traveling Doc.
Thanks ARAY for your compliments, and appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Someone traveling to Africa for leisure is such a rarity and I never knew that Africa has countries that are not touched by modernization. The wildlife pics itself are a delight to the eyes! The SUV's there too deserve a special mention to withstand the harsh vagaries of Namibia. That's some next level of wanderlust you have Doc! Wish we had such tough SUV's in India as well. Rated 5 stars for the thread.
jitin23, african countries like namibia are highly developed, with towns and cities as good as any european country, along with untouched wilderness still thriving.
Old 29th August 2019, 12:32   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a great Tlog and pic-fest!

Question on the drone (pro class?) being carried, did you face any issues while taking it out of country and bringing back again? Any specific permissions etc?
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 22:18   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
This is a great Tlog and pic-fest!

Question on the drone (pro class?) being carried, did you face any issues while taking it out of country and bringing back again? Any specific permissions etc?
One need to disclose the drone at customs before leaving india, along with a bill showing the duty paid. Else the drone will be confiscated at airport when bringing it back. Drone needs registration fro DGCA, unfortunately there are no clear rules about drone registrations in india.

Last edited by drbones : 29th August 2019 at 22:19.
Old 30th August 2019, 16:39   #40
BHPian

Thank you for the unique travelogue Doctor. I have become restless to explore African deserts and wildlife after going through it. Africa always fascinated me more than other popular destinations like America or Europe. But alas, this dream has to still wait before getting fulfilled.

It would really help If you can cover the trip planning in little more detail. Did you had any local contact in Namibia before planning the trip? Was it a self driven trip or a guided tour? Considering you spend most of the time in wilderness, what are the problems and challenges you faced during the trip? Dealing with the any hostile animals? Any specifics to be packed for the trip?

There is some information available online, however it can hardly match the authenticity and genuineness of a fellow BHP-ian.
MadTitan47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aatefkamal View Post
Thank you for the unique travelogue Doctor. I have become restless to explore African deserts and wildlife after going through it. Africa always fascinated me more than other popular destinations like America or Europe. But alas, this dream has to still wait before getting fulfilled.

It would really help If you can cover the trip planning in little more detail. Did you had any local contact in Namibia before planning the trip? Was it a self driven trip or a guided tour?Considering you spend most of the time in wilderness, what are the problems and challenges you faced during the trip? Dealing with the any hostile animals? Any specifics to be packed for the trip?
There is some information available online, however it can hardly match the authenticity and genuineness of a fellow BHP-ian.
Had no local contacts in namibia, it was planned with information online. Its always safe to deal with operators who have secure payment gateways.
It was a self drive trip.There were no hostile experiences with any wild animals, Cooking will be a valuable asset when in wilderness.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks