Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Journeying across Australia with food on our mind

Vegemite is indeed a real thing. It was one of the first thing that was shown to us in our orientation class back in late 2000 when I went there for my masters. It does taste like sh*t though.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:42   #32
Team-BHP Support

Wonderful food-log! Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Vegemite wasn't high on my list of delicacies after the initial encounter, but I've recently started acquiring a taste for it. Will update here as I get to start enjoying it.
Same here; did not like it when tasted for the first time but now a huge fan of simple toast with vegemite and butter
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:58   #33
BHPian

Mouthwatering foodalogue.

It is good that you guys handpicked Bega cheese factory.

To be honest the only thing I miss in Australia when we travel outside city limit is the lack of food options. The fast food chains like KFC,McD, Hungry Jacks etc dominates the market.

But shopping malls, city centers have all varieties from most part of the world.
MaxTorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:47   #34

Congratulations to Darsh!! Thank you for the travelogue SS traveller, being local in Melbourne, this will serve as a great guide to explore more options.

I recognize some of the places, one of them being the fish monger's in Dandenong from where you got your Wild Barramundi .
No luck at Buxton, i was unable to catch any fish, and thanks for the heads up, next time will carry knives.
Gausum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 15:42   #35
BHPian

Congratulations to your daughter Darsh and thanks for the foodlogue!

Melbourne has always been a happening place and it has always had an eclectic culinary scene. And I would say the same thing for most Australian cities. I am talking from my own experience. My neighbour in Melbourne, whom I called "Bhatti uncle" was originally from Jammu. He was a restauranteur who used to run a heritage hotel in the Yarra Valley. He was an excellent chef and I used to help him whenever needed - with my IT skills. (not with cooking. I am terrible in that area ). It was back in the years 2001 - 2002. Since then I am sure Melbourne has become much better and famous. It still remains one of the best cities that I have been to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Yikes. I put vegemite on my list of things to avoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Vegemite is indeed a real thing. It was one of the first thing that was shown to us in our orientation class back in late 2000 when I went there for my masters. It does taste like sh*t though.
Tasting vegemite was one of my first experiences after landing in Australia. Yuck! I could never get used to it and avoided it like a poison
MandarMax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 16:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
This year in the beginning of July, Darsh and I visited the Yarra Valley Dairy, about 50 km north-east of Melbourne, for another round of cheese tasting and buying. The cheese here is handmade, and delicious (though more expensive than buying at a supermarket).

Attachment 1898321

Attachment 1898322
Was at the same place around June last year. It's beautiful drive all the way to Yarra. Had a car from the same stable - A Toyota Corolla. Didn't know up until that day, that they made this car in hatchback form too! Looks handsome in my opinion.

We were touring various wineries around the valley. Came across a place where they even had a Tesla destination charger. First and only time I've seen one. While I stayed in Melbourne fora few months and saw a couple of Model X and Model S, they were not really common. So to see that charger was a surprise to me.

Couple of pics from the trip:
Attached Thumbnails
Journeying across Australia with food on our mind-dsc_0484_1.jpg  

Journeying across Australia with food on our mind-dsc_0495_1.jpg  

Journeying across Australia with food on our mind-dsc_0511_1.jpg  

Journeying across Australia with food on our mind-dsc_0593.jpg  

pratik1992 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 10:33   #37
BHPian

Super report SS da. Shall take pointers whenever I visit Melbourne. Meanwhile, I have sent the link to my sister in law in Melbourne to use it as a food guide.

Cheers,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 11:24   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik1992 View Post
Was at the same place around June last year. It's beautiful drive all the way to Yarra. Had a car from the same stable - A Toyota Corolla. Didn't know up until that day, that they made this car in hatchback form too! Looks handsome in my opinion.
Nice report, love the colour co-ordinated wing mirrors of the Toyota!
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 11:56   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A Toyota Corolla. Didn't know up until that day, that they made this car in hatchback form too! Looks handsome in my opinion.
One gets to spot the hatchback versions of many cars that are available in India, including our age-old Esteem, and the new (as well as old) Honda Civic.

Journeying across Australia with food on our mind-civic.jpg

Quote:
...saw a couple of Model X and Model S, they were not really common. So to see that charger was a surprise to me.
Teslas are becoming more popular in Australia, and I would get to spot at least 2-3 every day when I was there last month. Charging stations are also quite frequent in many public parking lots in the city. We also dropped in at the Tesla showroom at the Chadstone Mall in Melbourne.

Journeying across Australia with food on our mind-tesla.jpeg

Journeying across Australia with food on our mind-tesla1.jpeg

While at Chadstone, we also visited the Marae Izakaya Sushi restaurant, and it was a delightful experience. The place is so popular that we had to wait in a queue for about 15 minutes before we could be seated.

Journeying across Australia with food on our mind-omakase.jpg

Journeying across Australia with food on our mind-omakase1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Super report SS da. Shall take pointers whenever I visit Melbourne.
Darsh knows you personally, so you're welcome to get in touch with her whenever you are there!
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 03:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Nice report, love the colour co-ordinated wing mirrors of the Toyota!
Well said.

Just to clarify the wing mirror painting is done aftermarket. Goget.com.au is one of the famous car rental company in Australia.
Old 15th August 2019, 06:25   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Same here; did not like it when tasted for the first time but now a huge fan of simple toast with vegemite and butter
All these years, and I am yet to acquire a liking for it.

We visited Yarra Valley Chocolate Factory when we visited Melbourne as part of our epic Great Ocean Road drive last Xmas. Loved the views and drive to get there. However, being peak season, the place was crammed to the core, and hence couldn't relish the place as we should have. Will post some pics from home.

Thanks for sharing, SS-T.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 14:31   #42
BHPian

Sir,

Congratulations to your daughter for being successful on a non-standard career path. She really made you proud.
And, you have created the need of creating a separate section called "foodlogue" on TeamBHP.
A completely special one. Well deserved for 5-star.
I loved it being a strong non-vegan and few pics were mouth watering.
I just have a doubt sir regarding items cooked with kangaroo. As kangaroo is their national animal, is there no restriction of killing it?

Last edited by coolmind : 24th August 2019 at 14:36. Reason: Added few more lines.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 18:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

A mouthwatering travelogue. Thanks for sharing.
Definitely will keep these in mind for my visit to Australia in the next year.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 19:22   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Congratulations to your daughter for being successful on a non-standard career path. She really made you proud.
And, you have created the need of creating a separate section called "foodlogue" on TeamBHP.
A completely special one. Well deserved for 5-star.
I loved it being a strong non-vegan and few pics were mouth watering.
Thank you.
Quote:
I just have a doubt sir regarding items cooked with kangaroo. As kangaroo is their national animal, is there no restriction of killing it?
Some restrictions, yes, but here's how one gets to enjoy kangaroo meat: https://www.animallaw.info/intro/kan...ling-australia
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 22:58   #45
BHPian

That's one fairy tale of a post SSda, for all foodies, and particularly for us who keep waiting for Masterchef Australia! Excellent coverage and delicious pictures.
GhostRider28 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks