Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2007, 20:10   #16
BHPian

How much did they charge you for the tents ?
Old 29th January 2007, 20:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra
How much did they charge you for the tents ?
As mentioned in the resort website, 3K + 350 for boating. They didn't charge for the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
You sure are the GodFather of travelogues IMHO .
Out of curiosity I tried looking up who is the real godfather of travelogues... and as I supected it is Akroy. Besides, he has some really long distance trips logs unlike me.
Old 29th January 2007, 21:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Out of curiosity I tried looking up who is the real godfather of travelogues... and as I supected it is Akroy. Besides, he has some really long distance trips logs unlike me.
You got me thinking amidst work now Samurai.
Akroy
undoubtedly is the crowned king in this league and so will you remain the Godfather.
Old 29th January 2007, 22:41   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

La plupart de guerrier accompli Samurai,

The photos are sharp enough to cut paper - great job. The log is, again, a great destresser to read. Great job again. The 1st pic - the road to the resort - is that the NH?

Btw, one photographic curiosity: altho you and greatDrive are on the same coast, the water appears green in one set of pics and blue in another !

Finally, I've said it when we'd met - I'll say it again - you live in an absolute Eden. Btw - did I mention that I might want to sell my house to an IT co from Manipal - no cash at all; simply a barter system of locations. Solves both issues of high BLR rents and wanting to experience nature at its best

Last edited by theMAG : 29th January 2007 at 23:01.
Old 29th January 2007, 22:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Samurai San,

Brilliant travelogue again and awesome pictures as usual. Just reading through the post, made me want to make a trip there.

Keep writing.
Old 29th January 2007, 23:33   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
La plupart de guerrier accompli Samurai,

The 1st pic - the road to the resort - is that the NH?
Doesn't say much about NH17, does it? No, it is the local village road that takes you to the resort.

Quote:
Btw, one photographic curiosity: altho you and greatDrive are on the same coast, the water appears green in one set of pics and blue in another !
It was even shot on the same day, around same time. His image needs some color/tilt correction, I have tried some, still not perfect. Photoshop experts can do some real justice.

Quote:
Finally, I've said it when we'd met - I'll say it again - you live in an absolute Eden..... Solves both issues of high BLR rents and wanting to experience nature at its best
As they say otherside always looks greener (pun intended). You only get to see the positives on short visits. Living in small towns/villages involves lot of compromises and sacrifices, especially if you are used to city life. Do you realise I need to travel 400+Kms to Bangalore if I need K&N filter, synthetic engine oil, privacy, like-minded friends or many such simple things we take for granted in cities?
Old 30th January 2007, 00:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As they say otherside always looks greener (pun intended). You only get to see the positives on short visits. Living in small towns/villages involves lot of compromises and sacrifices, especially if you are used to city life. Do you realise I need to travel 400+Kms to Bangalore if I need K&N filter, synthetic engine oil, privacy, like-minded friends or many such simple things we take for granted in cities?
I can vouch for that. The lack of amenities is rather unsettling. Night journeys freak me out too, especially when I'm wide awake to absorb everything outside the bus windows, and especially so when I can't sleep when in motion. The bus stopped in the night around 3.30 AM at some small town types, because everybody wanted to pee. So I got off, to pee and even so more to smoke. Almost instantly, images of Naxalites jumping out the woods with arms and ammo flashed through my mind. I feel safer, walking at 2 am in Mumbai, and I have done it, probably more so because of familarity of territory. The house we lived in, had everything, TV and proper lights and fans and DVD player and all that, but it was still unnerving. Knowing that when we would stop talking, we would be surrounded by this eerie silence. Pitch dark and silence. It's weird.

In cities, we choose our homes wrt how many schools are around, and medical facilities and 24x7 water supply and all that jazz. I didn't see a hospital in Kundapur, I'm sure there was one, but probably made out of a shack. The closest school was in Hemmady, I think, still good 5-6 kms away, kids go cycling to school. Good exercise you say? Not so, when the Volvo I was travelling on almost ran 3 school kids off the road, they take the same road to school everyday. The same Volvo driver in 10 other buses also takes the same route everyday, not to mention a gazillion Sri Durgambeshwari Travels, and what not.

But village folk are a lot less paranoid, daily hectic grind in cities is killing us. They don't seem any less happier. They are always smiling, do their share of work in the day, rest in the afternoons, eat fresh catch from the rivers, healthier at 60 then I am at 22. Pretty well off village too, maybe one of the luckier ones, reasonable supply of electricity, maybe 45 mins or so cut in a day. We always had water supply, pretty clean too, never once fell sick.
Old 30th January 2007, 06:36   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
I can vouch for that. The lack of amenities is rather unsettling. Night journeys freak me out too, especially when I'm wide awake to absorb everything outside the bus windows, and especially so when I can't sleep when in motion. The bus stopped in the night around 3.30 AM at some small town types, because everybody wanted to pee. So I got off, to pee and even so more to smoke. Almost instantly, images of Naxalites jumping out the woods with arms and ammo flashed through my mind..... Knowing that when we would stop talking, we would be surrounded by this eerie silence. Pitch dark and silence. It's weird.
Ok, now you are being paranoid. Your mind is playing tricks here. Don't know about Mumbai, but it is way lot safer than Bangalore. It is lot safer walking in the woods with a torch at night than driving a bike in ORR (Bangalore) at night. Even crime rate is lot lesser.

I think it has to do with familiarity, I grew up around small towns, villages, even forest until highschool, so I understand this kind of life.
Old 30th January 2007, 08:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:

This is just because of our Camera Settings, forgot to change my Camera Settings from MyColours(Vivid Blue & Tungusten) to Auto.

I realised it later in the evening when I was back in hotel.
Samurai's Camera settings may be set to "Vivid Green, Day light" or probably "Auto".

Its better for some one like Rudra to start a thread on " Tips for Photograpghy & Camera Settings" will definetly help people like me.

Cheers
Old 30th January 2007, 10:19   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
This is just because of our Camera Settings, forgot to change my Camera Settings from MyColours(Vivid Blue & Tungusten) to Auto.
Yes, you are right, it is better to leave your white balance at Auto in most cases.

Quote:
Samurai's Camera settings may be set to "Vivid Green, Day light" or probably "Auto".
Actually it doesn't matter in my case since I exclusively shoot in RAW mode these days. WB setting is ignored in raw mode.

Quote:
Its better for some one like Rudra to start a thread on " Tips for Photograpghy & Camera Settings" will definetly help people like me.
Google for white balance and you will find tons of articles. Here is one.
Old 30th January 2007, 12:13   #26
BHPian

Excellent writeup... have always been wanting to go to North Kanara and areas around it...

Now, the offtopic discussion is also intruiging...

Bottomline, people living in city are tired of

Quote:
K&N filter, synthetic engine oil, privacy, like-minded friends or many such simple things we take for granted in cities
and want some

Quote:
I grew up around small towns, villages, even forest until highschool, so I understand this kind of life.
and vice versa....

I hope to experience "the other side" at some point of time...Hope so...
Old 1st February 2007, 00:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Samurai an OT question for you . Are you by any chance a friend of Abraham Cherian who owns Turtle Bay?? Juts outta curiosity because am a frequent visitor there and have had the previlage to see him practice Martial Arts in the meditation room and was a mesmerizing experience.
Old 1st February 2007, 00:23   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Samurai an OT question for you . Are you by any chance a friend of Abraham Cherian who owns Turtle Bay?? Juts outta curiosity because am a frequent visitor there and have had the previlage to see him practice Martial Arts in the meditation room and was a mesmerizing experience.
Hmm, no. I have never been to Turtle bay, nor know the owner. Now you have given me a reason to visit there.
Old 1st February 2007, 22:48   #29
Team-BHP Support

Finally got down to process the remaining snaps. While I was babysitting in the morning, I tried my hand at some macro shots. Since there was no wind at all, I managed to shoot all these snaps at F22.

The first three are at 1:2 and the last one at 1:1 macro.
Old 1st February 2007, 23:34   #30
Team-BHP Support

WOW!!!

Nice cam!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks