Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2019, 14:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Catacombs: Paris is not all romance

When you think of Paris, the Eiffel tower is what comes to mind. Paris has long been one of the major centres for art, fashion, and romance. A popular destination for art lovers who throng to see the Mona Lisa, and couples on their honeymoons who prefer spending the night under a sparkling Eiffel Tower with their better halves.

But Paris is not all romance and love. Deep down, under the streets, through a maze of tunnels, it holds a dark secret. If you do visit this magnificent city, don’t miss the Catacombs. The Catacombs of Paris is nothing but a network of mines running deep underground the city.

The entrance reveals a staircase that takes you back 45 million years, until you reach a bed of limestone. The bottom of the underground mines is almost 30 metres below the ground level. The underground walkways have an inscription on them which gives the year in which it was built, the series number and the name of the dude who oversaw the build. For example, this one was the fifth in a series built in 1847 under Quarry Inspector Juncher:
Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-img_5378.jpg

Trudging through the tunnels:
Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-img_5386.jpg

Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-img_5389.jpg

No-one knows when exactly these mines were dug. The earliest mention of it is in the town’s register in 1292. The mines were eventually abandoned and forgotten.

A small section of these mines is now open for tourists. As you go deeper and deeper into the mines, you find this:
Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-img_5485.jpg

Yes. This is Paris’ deep dark secret. Millions of bones lie buried in the mines deep under the city. How did they end up here, you might wonder. This is the result of overflowing cemeteries in the city. More than 6 million people have reported to been buried here.

It all began in the late eighteenth century, when the Saints-Innocent cemetery began to overflow and posed a health risk to the occupants of the city. The graveyard was shut in 1780 after consecutive use for nearly 10 centuries. From 1785, the tombs were emptied off their bones and were transported to the quarries, where they were dumped. This operation was carried out during the night to prevent any opposition from the people of Paris and the church. Soon, other cemeteries were also emptied and the operation continued till 1814. The transfers again began in 1840.

The bones were initially dumped in a heap in the quarries. In 1786, the place was christened ‘Paris Municipal ossuary’ but soon took the name ‘Catacombs’, in reference to the Roman Catacombs. In 1809, it was opened to the public for the first time, and it soon became very popular. The Catacombs was visited by the then Austrian emperor and Napolean III. However, as the bones were stacked haphazardly, it would have been a mess.

Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-img_5409.jpg

In 1810, under Inspector Hericart de Thury, the Catacombs underwent a major transformation. The bones were rearranged and were stacked to form a wall. It now consists of rows of tibiae (the bone between the knee and the ankle) and skulls. The remaining smaller bones, and those broken after being dumped in the quarry, were piled behind the wall of bones. Thury also tried to put an educational aspect into the tourist attraction.

You will find memorials in the Catacombs for the people who went missing in the tunnels and their remains were later found, and boards which tell you where the bones came from. For example, this one says that the bones seen here came from the Saint-Nicolas-des-Champs cemetery:
Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-img_5451.jpg

The bones were also arranged in different shapes:
Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-img_5476.jpg

Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-img_5411.jpg

Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-img_5447.jpg

With love, from the Catacombs:
Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-img_5405.jpg

While I was exiting the Catacombs, my backpack was subjected to a search by the officials. I was told there have been instances where people have tried to steal or smuggle bones out of the Catacombs. I definitely do not want a skull that is a few hundred years old as an ornament next to my bed.

The entire circuit open for tourists is 1.5 km long and consists of 243 steps (131 to go down and 112 to climb up).

In 2004, the police found a fully equipped movie theatre in the Catacombs. It had a giant screen, seats, projection equipment, film reels, a fully stocked bar and even a restaurant with tables and chairs. The source of electric power for the underground theatre and the people responsible still remains a mystery. The police found a note that read, "Do not try to find us". Even the dead need entertainment.

It is claimed that the Catacombs, which is now one of the 14 museums controlled by the Paris Musees, gets around 5,50,000 visitors annually. If this is your idea of an ideal honeymoon, don't miss this attraction the next time you are in the city.

Last edited by ChiragM : 31st January 2019 at 23:10.
ChiragM is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 23:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Catacombs: Paris is not all romance

Here are some more pictures of the Catacombs of Paris.

This looks to be a modern construction. You will find this tunnel at the very beginning of the Catacombs, as you climb down:
Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-1.jpg

Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-2.jpg

Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-3.jpg

Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-4.jpg

These boards give the name of the graveyard the bones were taken from along with the year:
Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-5.jpg

Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-7.jpg

Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-8.jpg

Nothing to see here. Just a line of skulls sticking their (head?) out:
Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-9.jpg

I bet you will never look at Paris the same way again!

Last edited by ChiragM : 1st February 2019 at 00:46.
ChiragM is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 07:47   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Catacombs: Paris is not all romance

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 09:26   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Charles de Gaulle once said, "The graveyards are full of indispensable men". It is a reflection of our egos and sense of indispensability that we preen ourselves endlessly (and I am no exception) when at the end of a few decades this is where we all end up. Since the beginning, according to the Washington Population Bureau 10,700 crore humans have been born. Let's dwell on that.

In June 2006 we visited the catacombs with our children, who were then still young enough to be in our control. The senior supervisor or chief guide was a French speaking member of the Gujarati diaspora!!! His great grand father had migrated to the French colony of Malagasy (now Madagascar) in ~1890 from Bhavnagar in Saurashtra. And he had never been to India. But as I could speak a smattering of Gujju we hugged each other and he took us to some catacombs not open to public! Long live the Indian diaspora.
V.Narayan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 12:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well, this thread reminds me of the movie I saw few years back: As above So below
Old 1st February 2019, 15:25   #6
BHPian

Going into the catacombs makes one feel just how short and immaterial life is. From dust thou are to dust thou shall return. From everything known about you by the world to a mere small occupant of the skull wall for all the future generations to observe, some to cherish, some to make fun off and some to simply get spooked.

In those catacombs lie the remains of the vast diversity of people, from men to women, from geriatric to pediatric, from rich to poor, from whites to blacks, from godmen to athiests, from doctors who saved lives to murderers who took it away and lastly from souls who were called that of saints to those called demons.

All but lie in a tunnel of limestone for us to keep guessing who was who. Life is precious and we should make the most of it while it lasts for you never know what will happen to your remains on the other side of life. The post is amazingly documented. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Starfire : 1st February 2019 at 15:33.
Starfire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 21:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
When you think of Paris, the Eiffel tower is what comes to mind. Paris has long been one of the major centres for art, fashion, and romance. A popular destination for art lovers who throng to see the Mona Lisa, and couples on their honeymoons who prefer spending the night under a sparkling Eiffel Tower with their better halves.
Exactly my thoughts !. I was there a week ago with my colleagues and visited this amazing place (or morbid maybe ). I was disappointed with my first visit to Paris in 2016. A short one it was though, just 6 hours. But this time we stayed there for 4 days and the amount of history and culture just blew my mind.

Some photos from my end on the history of the Catacombs

Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-img_3381.jpg

Catacombs: Paris is not all romance-img_3382.jpg
Auswechseln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 22:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

First thing that came in my mind - "Murders in the Rue Morgue" by Iron Maiden.

Nice pictures and good to know about this history of Paris. A must visit for me. If I ever visit.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 19:38   #9
BHPian

Years ago i had watched a movie in Star movies or HBO channel, which was shot inside the Catacombs. It had to do something with a group of friends playing a scary prank on a girl, which later turned out to be of some serious repercussions. Cant really recollect the thread well. But I have to say, just watching that movie gave me a panic attack out of claustrophobia; cant imagine being inside that!

Here it is - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_(2007_film)

Last edited by ZENnist : 5th February 2019 at 19:40. Reason: Added a URL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks