Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2007, 15:56   #46
BHPian

Countries I have driven:
ABROAD
1. UK : London Heathrow - Birmingham
2. USA : Washington DC - New York - Niagra Falls - Washington DC. and Los-Angeles-Las Vegas-Grand Canyon - Las Vegas.
3. UAE - Dubai-Sharjah-Fujeirah-Dubai; Dubai-Ras Al-Khaimah-Dubai

Best overall experience: USA
Love to Drive in USA.

IN INDIA:
States Visited: Tamilnadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Orissa, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Delhi, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Goa, Pondicherry

States Driven in: All of the above
Favourite States: Himachal, Kerala, Rajasthan, Jammu & Kashmir and home state of Tamilnadu
Love to Drive in: Manali-Jispa-Leh; Leh-Srinagar; Bikaner-Jaisalmer-Ahmedabad; Mangalore-Goa; Baroda-Ahmedabad (NE1); Chennai-Pondicherry (ECR).
Old 6th May 2007, 20:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

phew...high mile club here. didnt see antarctica on any list....yet.

Videsh:

a. Countries visited: Thailand, Sri Lanka, UAE, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Denmark.

b. Driven in UK and UAE. oh yea, kicking myself for not having a go at the autobahns... good excuse to go back!

c. Italy has to be my favourite. Drivers in Italy are more than a match for our desi maniacs.

d. Favourite place to drive: UK. I could single out the winding Scottish highlands as my best driving experience.

Desh:

a. Delhi, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.

b. Driven in almost all except UP, Rajasthan (what a pity) and AP.

c. Goa is my absolute favourite for various reasons. (Mostly because Goa is a term that girlfriends often use: Get Out A*$h*%@)

d. With out question, my fave place to drive would be interior parts of Kerala.

and yes....dying to do himachal!!
Old 6th May 2007, 21:26   #48
BHPian

Countries visited:
Australia, Japan, Hongkong, Singapore, USA, Germany, UK, Switzerland, Holland, Italy, Belgium, France and Bangladesh!

Driven in: USA, Germany, Switzerland, Singapore, Australia, UK

Best drive: USA - California: Highway One (along the west coast)
Australia: Brisbane to GoldCoast
Germany: ofcourse Autobahns!
Belgium/Holland: Drive from Brussels to Rotterdam

In India: Driven only in South India (all states), Prefer to drive in hilly tracts of Western Ghats
Old 1st June 2007, 12:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Abroad:

Countries Visited: UK, Australia, Singapore, France, Hungary
Countries Driven: None :(

Best Country(ies): Australia.

Best Country to Drive: No experience, though I figure Australia would come on top.

India:

States Visited: Karnataka, Goa, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Maharastra, Gujarat, Rajastan, NCR (Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh :P )

States Driven: Goa, AP, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu.

Best State: Delhi (except for the crime rate).

Best State to Drive: The winding roads in the hilly parts of my home town in Karnataka.

Best Drive: 1. My solo 850km drive, in my first car, with no passengers, from Vizag,AP to Chennai, TN on the Golden Quadrilateral.
2. Somewhere between Goa to Mangalore in a TATA 407 truck with our Maruti van with a seized engine in the back.

Last edited by spadival : 1st June 2007 at 12:20.
Old 12th June 2007, 23:29   #50

Countries visited/and lived in:
Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, New Caledonia, Tahiti, Germany, UK, Ireland, Switzerland, Netherland, Italy, Belgium, Austria, Poland, Luxembourg, France, USA - most of east coast, upstate NY and midweast states, Canada Japan, Korea, Hongkong, Singapore, UAE,Thailand, Malaysia.

Cars Driven - Mitsubishi Magna, Lancer, Colt, Mirage. Toyota - Landcruiser, corolla, MR2, camry etc. Nissan, BMW M3, M5, 3 series, 5 series, Z4 3.0 si, X5. Audi A3, A4, A6, TT, Tourag. Mercedes - B class, E class, CLK. Porshe 911 carrara. Peugot, Citroen. Pontiac firebird and Grand Prix, Ford Falcon and 500. Chrysler. Dodge Holden Commodore etc.

Driven in: All above except Tahiti and HK.

Best drives - In Australia, Europe and US I drove extensively for long distances and loved driving in Europe and Australia the most.

Europe - Drive from Frankfurt Germany to Den Haag, Netherland and to Amsterdam. Driver from Munich to Innsbruck via Newscwanstein castle and Lindshof castle area (South Bavaria). Beautiful changes in scenery on every turn in South Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Australia - Drive from Brisbane to Sydney and on to Melbourne (Pacific Motorway). Drivin on sand beaches on Fraser Island. Driving in Cairns to Cape York area and in Atherton tablelands. Driving in Outback area where there is little traffic and playing Dodge the Kangaroo at evenings.

US - Drive from Atlanta to Alabama via Chattanooga,Appalachen mountain ranges. Upstate NY and Canada near Buffalo/Ontario area
- Drives on roads near beaches

daZoy
Old 13th June 2007, 10:59   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

@dazoy, wow, thats a pretty long list of countries and cars driven. Whats your profession? By any chance your in the travel or cars review industry?
Old 13th June 2007, 12:47   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@dazoy, wow, thats a pretty long list of countries and cars driven. Whats your profession? By any chance your in the travel or cars review industry?
HI Mobike008.
Nope..not assoiated with car industry, but been a travelling for my employer. Earlier I had lived overseas while studying there.

daZoy
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:24   #53
BHPian

Abroad:

1. How many countries have you visited: USA (CA, NJ, MA & TX), UK, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy, Austria, Netherlands, France, Dubai, Singapore, Malaysia & Thailand

2. Among the countries visited, how many have you driven on: USA, UK, Germany

3. Which is your favourite country (overall experience): Switzerland

4. Which is the country you loved driving on: USA. Loved driving in I-5 and CA-1 (a scenic route which covers the entire California coast)

India:

1. How many states have you visited: Tamilnadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra, Maharashtra, Delhi, Haryana, Himachal, West Bangal, UP

2. Among the states visited, how many have you driven on: Most of the states

3. Which is your favourite state (overall experience): Himachal

4. Which is the state you loved driving on: Karnataka
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

Abroad:

1. How many countries have you visited.
USA, France, Italy, Germany, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan and Japan.
2. Among the countries visited, how many have you driven on.
USA (Ford EDGE and Pontiac G6) and France (citreon???)
3. Which is your favorite country (overall experience).
Japan.
4. Which is the country you loved driving on.
US. Not sure about other Asian countries.

India:

1. How many states have you visited.
Tamilnadu, Karnataka, Andra pradesh, Delhi & Kerala
2. Among the states visited, how many have you driven on.
Tamilnadu, Andra, Kerala and Karnataka
3. Which is your favourite state (overall experience).
Tamilnadu
4. Which is the state you loved driving on.
Tamilnadu
Old 2nd April 2008, 15:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

Travel & Driving experiences

1. How many countries have you visited - I have so far visited Malaysia, Singapore, Australia and Bhutan

2. Among the countries visited, how many have you driven on – None. Did not have a license then!!!

3. Which is your favorite country (overall experience) – Australia. It has one of the best roads & highways I have seen. The restaurants and pubs there are superb.

Singapore. It is very clean and organized. Can you imagine a $5000 dollar fine for smoking in a lift or a ferry ship?

Bhutan. For its wonderful natural beauty and warm people.

4. Which is the country you loved driving on – I have traveled extensively in all the countries I visited. I couldn’t drive though!!! My best experience was in Australia. Simply stunning landscapes and beautiful weather!

India:

1. How many states have you visited - Goa, Gujarat, Maharashtra (my home state now!), Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala (born there!), Punjab, Sikkim, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Uttaranchal and Delhi and NCR.

2. Among the states visited, how many have you driven on – Goa, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Kerala.

3. Which is your favourite state (overall experience) – It has to be Maharashtra. That is why I shifted to Pune!!! A close second is Himachal Pradesh, for its wonderful natural beauty! Third place goes to Goa.

4. Which is the state you loved driving on – Maharashtra, for its beautiful highways (although the numerous tolls burn a big hole in your pocket!) I also liked Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.

My wife and I had been on a 6500 kilometer trip from Pune to Goa, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Kerala. Our overall experience was very good, except for the roads in Mangalore!!!
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:05   #56
BHPian

Abroad
======
1) Australia
2) USA
3) Thailand
4) Singapore
5) Malaysia
6) Japan

IN INIDA
==========
1) Orissa
2) Kerala
3) Tamil Nadu
4) Karnataka
5) W. Bengal
6) New Delhi
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:34   #57
BHPian

1. How many countries have you visited - I have so far visited Singapore, Newzealand, US and Philippines.2. Among the countries visited, how many have you driven on – New Zealand, US and have been a navigator on my drives in Philippines and Singapore3. Which is your favorite country (overall experience) – Newzealand, Amazing countryside, picturesque landscapes, and breathtaking sceneries with a very slow pace of life and warm and friendly people.4. Which is the country you loved driving on – US and NewzealandIndia:1. How many states have you visited - Kerala, Tamilnadu, Karnataka, Goa, Maharastra2. Among the states visited, how many have you driven on – All3. Which is your favourite state (overall experience) – Kerala, Goa and the forests of Karnataka and TN4. Which is the state you loved driving on: Kerala and GoaI have some pics, but unable to post it here? :-(
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:48   #58
BHPian

Abroad
Dubai + other emirates - Driven
Qatar
Oman
Muscat
Kuwait

Singapore
Malaysia
Hong Kong
Japan
China
Indonesia
Phillipines
Australia -- Driven

South Africa --Driven
Egypt --Driven

USA -- Driven
Canada --Driven

Luxembourg - Live here --Driven
Netherlands --Driven
Belgium --Driven
Czech Republic --Driven
France --Driven
Poland --Driven
Spain --Driven
Germany --Driven
Italy --Driven
Portugal --Driven
Austria --Driven
Holland-- Driven

India
Karnataka
Kerala
Tamilnadu
Maharashtra
Andhra Pradesh
Rajasthan
UP
Bihar
Jharkhand
Uttaranchal
Delhi
Harayana
Punjab
West Bengal

I make it a point to drive wherever possible not matter what the inconvenience just to get the flavour of the place and the fun of the unknown.

Favourite place India: Home sweet home Kerala:There is a bar every 10 meters with seadfood options aplenty . Chandigarh a close second..
Favourite place Abroad : No 2 ways Paris. Paris. Paris. The smells, the wine, the food, the ch***s aaah.Folks who have stayed for an extensive period of time would vouch for this with closed eyes(goddamn expensive though)

Favourite driving zone : A german machine and unlimited speed sections is a no contest . Autobahn(regular weekend activity)
Also love the Smoky Mountains --Blue Ridge trail

Last edited by sanjayatarizona : 2nd April 2008 at 17:08.
Old 2nd April 2008, 17:15   #59
BHPian

Abroad:

UAE, USA, Singapore
UAE, only co-driving in USA
3. Which is your favourite country (overall experience).
USA
USA. (Heard of Aus and some part of inner Europe are beautiful for drives. Will do it)

India:

Kerala (Home), TN, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Goa
Kerala (Home), TN, Karnataka. Ridden on Maharashtra and Goa
Goa and home state Kerala
TN highways are better than that of Kerala. But, eastern ghat side of Kerala is superb.
Old 2nd April 2008, 18:16   #60
BHPian

My fav countries and states

Abroad:

USA UK, Australia, Singapore and Germany.
USA, UK [Scotland] and Australia
3. Which is your favourite country (overall experience).
Scotland [UK]. People are great, sceneries beautiful and less traffic to drive.

USA. But on not so familiar roads outside the highways and expressways. You can see wonderful sceneries and new people who are helpful.

India:

Tamil Nadu & Pndicherry, Kerala, AP, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Delhi.
Tamil Nadu , Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka
Every state has its good things and its weakness. So all of them.
Tamil Nadu. Esp Kodai Road to Kumuli.

Most Viewed