Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2018, 18:04   #31
BHPian

Re: Chronicles of a Lone Biker | The Big One | Bhutan 2017 | Dominar 400 Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
This! Tu mera bhai hai

Tip: When visiting Bhutan...

"Polightness and Apologies are your key with the officials" - Sir Bullet Chacha
Bulletchacha, here I am with my questions .

From Siliguri what route would you advice to Phuentsholing? via Sevoke-Nagrakata-Birpara-Hasimara or via Jalpaiguri-Dhupguri-Gairkata-Birpara-Hasimara.

How much time will it take to cover this stretch?
Old 7th March 2018, 18:40   #32
BHPian

Re: Chronicles of a Lone Biker | The Big One | Bhutan 2017 | Dominar 400 Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Bulletchacha, here I am with my questions .

From Siliguri what route would you advice to Phuentsholing? via Sevoke-Nagrakata-Birpara-Hasimara or via Jalpaiguri-Dhupguri-Gairkata-Birpara-Hasimara.

How much time will it take to cover this stretch?
I took the Sevoke route via coronation bridge. And left Siliguri at around 5 and was able to reach at 8.30 ist.
bullet_chacha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 11:00   #33
BHPian

Bravo Zulu on your travel - i tread your path and can empathize on the fatigue!

I also visited Bhutan early April 2018. We traveled by road and entered via Phueuntsholing, having been denied entry from Sandrup Jhonkar.

Immigration experience was unpleasant to say the least with politeness and courtesy conspicuously absent. Tour operators were favored by immigration. Documents submitted by them were examined out of turn, cursorily glanced and permit process initiated.

We raised objection and our permit request was turned down. We carried a signed personal invitation from a citizen of Bhutan, along with his identification document (who identified each one of us with Passport numbers) which was submitted and not acceded to. Objections were as follows

1. Not addressed to Immigration Officer
2. Written on plain paper

Finally we were accorded permission after he wrote the same thing by hand on his official letterhead and Whatsapp'ed it!

I suggest that persons desirous of travelling to Bhutan should either be prepared for a degree of harassment or go through travel agent (Guides). We were the only ones without "Guides". There are many available for as little as Rs 1200 per permission (not to be confused with person). This is commercialization of tourism at its not too best.

On the other hand our experience of obtaining permit for car was out of the world - complete opposite of immigration.

Rest of our stay was comfortable, we learnt to use the guide well (not giving in to commercialization but he helped us in further permits).

This experience did leave a sour taste. The Bhutanese are aware of the situation.
Old 14th May 2018, 15:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoyle View Post
Immigration experience was unpleasant to say the least with politeness and courtesy conspicuously absent. Tour operators were favored by immigration. Documents submitted by them were examined out of turn, cursorily glanced and permit process initiated.

Hi dgoyle

We were also in Bhutan early April entering via Phuentsholing and our experience was exactly opposite of what you described.

All my documents were ready before hand and once we filled the entry permit form, I was looking around for a stapler. The person at the counter took my documents, arranged them properly and stapled it for me. After taking my form, I was asked to wait for 5 mins, and within that said time, my name was called out and I was asked to go to the 1st floor. I went to counter 6 where a tour operator was getting his groups papers processed. While I was waiting, the tour operator added another bundle of forms to his earlier lot. Even before I said anything, the official at the counter scolded him for adding more forms while there were others waiting in the que and asked him to take his forms back (he spoke in Bhutanese but from his body language and the tour opertors reactions, I figured out that this is what he must have said).

After obtaining the entry permit, we went to the RSTA office for our car permit and had a good experience there too. Even at the immigration office in Thimpu, where we went to get extension of our permit to visit Punakha and Haa, we had a similar smooth experience.

I guess the experience at the immigration office is largely dependent on the person at the counter who is processing your papers.
Old 14th May 2018, 17:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Hi dgoyle

We were also in Bhutan early April entering via Phuentsholing and our experience was exactly opposite of what you described.

I guess the experience at the immigration office is largely dependent on the person at the counter who is processing your papers.
I can understand that too. It's related to standardization of processes. However, I was dismayed that Bhutanese nationals were generally aware of the problems at Land Route immigration.

Hope these are ironed out with time and surplus 'Happiness' is exported!
dgoyle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 22:20   #36
BHPian

I am planning to travel to Bhutan from Lucknow, goggle maps tell me the distance to Phuntsholing is approx 1060 kms. I look forward to doing this journey in 2 days. What would be the

i) Convenient midway point to break journey.
ii) How are the road conditions from Lucknow to Phuntsholing

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks