Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2017, 11:53   #31
BHPian

Re: A week in Austria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Excellent writeup! Thanks for sharing. Me and my wife are planning for a weeklong trip of Austria later this year. We will cover most of what you covered - Vienna, Salzberg, Hallstatt, St. Gilgen and a day trip to Prague (thats part of my bucket list) from Vienna. We were planning on using AirBnB as our primary option to stay in Vienna and Salzberg (our two base points). Do you have any experience of staying at AirBnB on any of your trips to Europe? We have found some at really excellent locations in these two cities at very affordable rates.
I usually look at tripadvisor ratings and then book directly with the hotel or through booking.com depending on where I get better rates or reservation terms. But, in future I do plan to use AirBnB for listings with high ratings especially if I go in a group (at least 4 people). Hope you have a great vacation. Austria is absolutely lovely ! If I ever go back to Austria, a full day trip of Gosausee would be at the top of my list. Followed by full day trip of Konigssee (which is actually in Germany close to Austrian border).
Old 3rd November 2017, 22:32   #32
BHPian

Hey Desidino,
Superb travelogue! I am going to use this as a reference for my visit to Austria next week. I just have 2-3 days to spare and will be based near Vienna. Any recommendations of must- see / must do places? Was also thinking of doing Bratislava one of the days but after reading your travelogue, I guess there's enough to see and do in Austria itself.
Kontoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 02:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo View Post
Hey Desidino,
Superb travelogue! I am going to use this as a reference for my visit to Austria next week. I just have 2-3 days to spare and will be based near Vienna. Any recommendations of must- see / must do places? Was also thinking of doing Bratislava one of the days but after reading your travelogue, I guess there's enough to see and do in Austria itself.

Austria is a fantastic country. I just came back after a week in Austria. Since you have a couple of days I would suggest take a train to Salzburg (around a couple of hours from Vienna). Salzburg itself is very beautiful but a bus ride to the Lake District (Bad ischl and Hallstatt) is recommended - a day trip from Salzburg (if you have time). If you do not have time, take the bus from Salzburg to Untersberg and take the cable car ride to the top of the hill. The view of the alps and Bavarian mountains is breathtaking. It is around 45 mins from Salzburg main train station. If you spending more than a day in salzburg the Salzburg city card is useful.

Vienna itself deserves a month. If you are into concerts attend one of the performances of the Royal orchestra. You will find ticket vendors in front of major landmarks like stephanplatz. They are not the best but they will give you a good exposure to classical concerts. That's a must have experience in Vienna. The Ferris wheel in praterstern also has a good view of the city. The schrönbrunn palace gardens are free to roam around after 5pm during this time of the year. Get a 24 hour travel card from the ticket vending machines in Vienna - totally worth the €7.60. You never have enough time for such wonderful places.

Mind the weather, we were in Vienna on 22nd October and it was getting cold. All shopping places are closed on Sundays in Vienna and restaurants are closed between 2pm and 7pm.

If you are a cities person, Budapest (my favourite city of that region) is just a couple hours by train from Vienna.
feluda86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 22:08   #34
BHPian

I am planning for a week's vacation in Austria and Prague in April/May with family. Never drove outside India. Want to rent a car from Vienna, drive to Prague, spend two nights and then drive back from Prague to Salzburg, stay for a few days. Please advise if it is doable. If yes, do provide tips and suggestions.
Old 8th March 2018, 20:32   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musafir_blr View Post
I am planning for a week's vacation in Austria and Prague in April/May with family. Never drove outside India. Want to rent a car from Vienna, drive to Prague, spend two nights and then drive back from Prague to Salzburg, stay for a few days. Please advise if it is doable. If yes, do provide tips and suggestions.
Hi Musafir,

For a 1 week vacation like the one I had taken, I would recommend 2 bases. Which is why I had based myself out of Vienna and St.Wolfsgang.

However, everybody has their own travel style, and if you really want to cover Prague, then yes it is doable. Google search shows 3.5 hours drive from Vienna to Prague. 4.5 hours from Prague to Salzburg. 3 hours from Salzburg to Vienna. So, yes doable. Do check if any additional vignette is needed for road toll in Czech Republic.

Have a great trip !

Cheers,
Dino
desidino is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks