Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2024, 21:17   #31
BHPian

Re: Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out

Wow, beautiful trip and pics. I am planning to do a road trip in Italy in 2 months. Wish we had more road trip travelogues on TBHP in different countries.

A road trip really touches interiors and rural areas and gets you to know real places.
Old 30th May 2024, 21:25   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
Hi All,

Amazing pictures and good post. I am travelling to UK and have booked the rentals for Scotish road trip. This is my first trip to UK. Need some help on do's and donts when it comes to driving in scotland.

My road trip starts in Inverness and end at London. Covering Inverness, Nairn, Fort william, glasgow and london to end the trip. Fort williams will be a longest stay and will be driving out and return for 4 nights here.
Planning to cover Isle of Skye, Glencoe.

Any suggestion on places to see, things to carry, note will of great help.
Not sure if you have committed on the car rental but I would highly recommend

Arnold Clark

Plenty competitive rates and very little hidden extras. Only issue is that they are not a 24X7 operation and usually open 8-5
Old 30th May 2024, 21:33   #33
BHPian

@Ajmat, thanks for your reply. Yes I have already confirmed from Alamo through QeeQ.com. Booked A class Automatic.
Old 3rd June 2024, 16:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Amazing pictures and good post. I am travelling to UK and have booked the rentals for Scotish road trip. This is my first trip to UK. Need some help on do's and donts when it comes to driving in scotland.

My road trip starts in Inverness and end at London. Covering Inverness, Nairn, Fort william, glasgow and london to end the trip. Fort williams will be a longest stay and will be driving out and return for 4 nights here.
Planning to cover Isle of Skye, Glencoe.

Any suggestion on places to see, things to carry, note will of great help.
The first post of this thread has some dos and donts. Driving in Scotland and England are same.
Regarding Scotland, Fort William is a nice place to stay and you can visit lot of places from there. All the places you mentioned are worth visiting. But do visit Edinburgh as its a very beautiful city.
Old 3rd June 2024, 17:07   #35
BHPian

Whitby and My favourite fishing village – Staithis

In 2022 when during the May bank holidays we decided to visit Whitby. Whitby is in Yorkshire which is north of us. My wife was amazed by the beautiful Instagram pictures of Whitby stairs and we decided to use the long holiday to visit that place. Whitby is almost 6* hours drive from Ipswich and we crossed Leeds and York to reach Whitby. We also crossed the amazing moor national park which is vast open area and an wonderful motorway to drive.

Whitby is a seaside town and very old. Parking is a problem in Whitby. We took an Airbnb in the town centre and couldn’t find any parking within 1 mile of the house. Anyway it only meant I had to walk a bit more which was good for me 😊
Most of the Uk towns and cities are pram/stroller friendly and Whitby isn’t an exception. But we were there to see the 199 steps which meant lots of stairs.

Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out-c741bfd5c4a54bc284875e06c41ceda1.jpg

Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out-d1d22e6785c74a04899e3ab0e6a7356b.jpg

Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out-img_0687.jpg

Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out-img_0699.jpg

Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out-img_0702.jpg

Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out-img_0711.jpg

Staithis –
I first visited Staithis in 2016 on a road trip with my mates. I was so amazed by this little fishing town I decided to come back whenever I could get any chance. I got this chance on our trip to Yorkshire. Staithis is only an hour away from Whitby. There is not much to write about the roads or the journey but let the pictures speak for themselves.

Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out-1d255480810841d9af9ab17463a850f0.jpg

Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out-2a79ba3ca562417d854e15ca9d348bd4.jpg

Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out-4bc542965a7b4556976b310ffb81d92b.jpg

Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out-7ed4291cd23b4cc1af982bb592b9528a.jpg

Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out-img_0813.jpg
Uprasenjit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 13:40   #36
BHPian

Great pics @uprasenjit. Thanks for sharing.
Is there something in should be careful of from car rental guys charging me extra.
They took deposit more than they actually confirmed through mail.
abacusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 02:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
Bhpian Samba did a wonderful job by creating a thread dedicated to West Bengal tourism and inspired me to write few travelogues on the road trips in UK.
Found this thread just in time, ahead of my trip to the UK later this month! I am going to read this over the next few days and hoping this will help in my self drive trip.

And @samba da keeps on inspiring a lot of people in a lot of ways.
meetarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 19:07   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Is there something in should be careful of from car rental guys charging me extra.
Check for any existing damages and scratches, check fuel level, mileage etc before accepting the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meetarin View Post
Found this thread just in time, ahead of my trip to the UK later this month! I am going to read this over the next few days and hoping this will help in my self drive trip.

And @samba da keeps on inspiring a lot of people in a lot of ways.
Thats good to know, when are you coming and what are you plans ? Happy to help if you have any queries.
Uprasenjit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 19:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Wow, beautiful trip and pics. I am planning to do a road trip in Italy in 2 months. Wish we had more road trip travelogues on TBHP in different countries.

A road trip really touches interiors and rural areas and gets you to know real places.
There are plenty of logs here by various members, but yes I agree there isnt 1 large europe log, may be I will write one. But for now here are some -

Norway - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...s-1700-km.html (Drive to the Norwegian Landscapes | 5 Days | 1700 km)

Prague and Germany- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ni-cooper.html (Prague & Germany road-trip in a Mini Cooper)

Switzerland - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...itzerland.html (A road-trip in Switzerland)

Swiss, Itally and France (but not all place)- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...and-rover.html (A wedding in Italy | Our first Euro Trip in the Land Rover)
Uprasenjit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 19:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
You can refer to the points I have listed in a different thread when renting a self drive vehicle. Might be useful:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5772076 (Feedback on different Self Drive rental agencies)

Happy journey!
Old 20th June 2024, 20:24   #41
BHPian

Just finished 8 days road trip. I will write a detailed log once I post process the pics from the cam.

In a jist i travelled around 1000miles. Covered,
Inverness
Fort williams
Isle of skye
And
Return journey from fort williams to london through glasgow motorway.
Boring and tiring route were the express ways.

The car rental guys were available all the time for any querries. And i had no penalty and got full refund of deposit amount. And I did not take any top up insurance.
Road-trips in the United Kingdom - In & Out-img_7210.jpeg
abacusv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 23:26   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
Thats good to know, when are you coming and what are you plans ? Happy to help if you have any queries.
Hi again! I am reaching London on 1st Jul. The itinerary is as below:

1-2 Jul: London
3-4 Jul: Manchester & Liverpool (got a couple of MANU and Liverpool heads in the group)
5 Jul: Edinburgh
6 Jul: Inverness (here's when we will rent the car)
7-8 Jul: Isle of Skye and Fort William
9 Jul: Edinburgh (car return)
10-12 Jul: Belfast
13-14 Jul: London
15 Jul: Flight to India

We spoke to a few of car rental companies and only Hertz has confirmed that they will accept Indian licenses. Have the following questions, hoping you can answer:
1. We are getting a quote of 317 GBP for a Nissan Qashqai and 298 GBP for a Kia Ceed for those 4.5 days with supercover. Additionally, security deposit is the rental equivalent + cost of a full tank fuel. Does this look okay to you?
2. Do you recommend other providers whom we can contact after reaching there and who would also allow Indian license holders to drive?

I have another question as well, but it's okay if you dont have an answer.
I am big tennis fan and plan to queue for the Wimbledon on 2nd Jul. Would you know what time is good to reach the venue to get a ticket to the center court/court 1/court 2?

Many thanks!
meetarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 00:24   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Just finished 8 days road trip.
Hello there! Hope you had a good trip. Can you please let me know what car you had taken along with the rates and if they allowed you to drive with an Indian license?
Old 21st June 2024, 05:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Hello there! Hope you had a good trip. Can you please let me know what car you had taken along with the rates and if they allowed you to drive with an Indian license?
I booked from india through kayak and it directed through qeeq. And finally the car rental service was enterprise. All car rentals allow Indian license i believe. License was checked for validity and age thats it.

I wanted automatic and they had only mercedes benz. It worked out 471 GBP for 9 days. I got free upgrade to C class. And deposit amount was 500gbp which was refunded in full.

Nissan quashai looked big and i was wondering it would have been good choice looking at it on road. Kia weren't that impressive. Thats my personal view though.
abacusv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 00:27   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just finished 8 days road trip. I will write a detailed log once I post process the pics from the cam.
Hoping for a travelogue from you!
Quote:
Hi again! I am reaching London on 1st Jul. The itinerary is as below:

1-2 Jul: London
3-4 Jul: Manchester & Liverpool (got a couple of MANU and Liverpool heads in the group)
5 Jul: Edinburgh
6 Jul: Inverness (here's when we will rent the car)
7-8 Jul: Isle of Skye and Fort William
9 Jul: Edinburgh (car return)
10-12 Jul: Belfast
13-14 Jul: London
15 Jul: Flight to India
Ditto!

Most Viewed