Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2016, 23:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary

Day 5 continued ...

Now let me dwell again in the past because I cannot move forward without mentioning this story. I have already mentioned about the army post where we were greeted like chief guest. The reason being that a soldier was keen so serve us with piping hot thick milk tea. He had no one to talk to and he was delighted to see us coming so far away on a bike. First when he asked me to come in, I was a bit skeptical as my friend has crossed the turning and could not see us. I told the man that I have a friend with me so let me call him also. He not only served us with tea but also with biscuits, masala peanuts and much more. He said that he will be going home on leaves and so the food in his stock will be wasted. They cannot consume so much food at higher altitudes because then it will be hard to digest. He packed our bags with fruit juice and biscuit packets as a token of thanks.

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0239.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0241.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3069.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3070.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0251.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3074.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3076.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3077.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3080.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0259.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0261.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0265.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3098.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3102.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3105.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_02732.jpg
2013- While returning from Zero Point Road
PointZero is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 00:14   #17
BHPian

Day 5 continued ...

It was drizzling and no one like to walk down the valley. Only my aunt and my wife went down and came back in a while. In 2013 we had spent ample time sitting beside the river. The mountains and the river made a perfect picture then. Next stop have to be the rhododendron sanctuary. I stopped at point having maximum number of trees with a verity of colors. Now the photo session started with various pose.

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_9855.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_9870.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_9892.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_9977.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_9987.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_9998.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_9979.jpg
2016 - Yumthang

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0275.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0278.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3002.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0280.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0282.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0284.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0288.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3112.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0310.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0312.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0314.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0318.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0320.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3128.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3137.jpg
2013 - Yumthang

To be continued ...
Old 3rd June 2016, 00:29   #18
BHPian

Day 5 continued ...

Back to the hotel everyone was starving. After a delayed lunch lazy peoples went back to the bed. We young ones cannot waste sleeping and took our car to waddle around the city. A sign board pointed towards the way to Katao. We kept the Katao plan for next morning. There was a monastery but it was already closed. It opens only twice a day during the prayers. A number of tourist were seen near the river bridge. So another day ended smoothly.

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2972.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2980.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2981.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2988.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2994.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2997.jpg
Returning from Yumthang - 2013

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_9954.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_9970.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_9999.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0002.jpg
Returning from Yumthang - 2016

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0028.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0045.jpg
Yumthang - 2013

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3193.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3209.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2922.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2923.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2938.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2942.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0143.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0146.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0150.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0157.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0174.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2943.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2955.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2962.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2968.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0394.jpg
Random view of Yumthang - 2013

To be continued ...

Last edited by PointZero : 3rd June 2016 at 00:31. Reason: alignment
Old 3rd June 2016, 00:32   #19
BHPian

Lachung to Zero Point and Back
Old 4th June 2016, 23:20   #20
BHPian

Day 6 (Lachung -> Katao -> Gangtok):

Early morning I knocked the elder’s room. But apart from my aunt, no one was keen to go to Katao. Katao is few KM uphill from Lachung but still during winters the roads are full of snow and its heard to reach the check post. To our despair even on the way to Katao there was no sign of snow. But traveling itself it was delight there. The whole city could be seen down and the snow clad mountains seen to go down and greed good morning. At the check point a tense situation was already prevailing. A local driver took a tourist loaded sumo towards the border without stopping at the check post. After certain distance they were caught and the vehicle was held in custody. Mean time all other tourist were denied from moving beyond that point. Because of the stupidity of the driver we could not make it to the restricted area.

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0046.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0047.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0053.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0066.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0072.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0088.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0100.jpg
Katao till we reach

While going I restrained myself from taking snaps to save time. But unluckily while returning it starting pouring down. All the mountain got covered with dark clouds and the city was no more visible. I cannot share much pictures but the one captured in my eyes will always ponder over my thoughts.

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0115.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0129.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0137.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0143.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0148.jpg
Returning from katao

To be continued ...
Old 4th June 2016, 23:41   #21
BHPian

Day 6 continued ...

Back to the pavilion at the hotel where we had breakfast and dumb the luggage to start for Gangtok. In the past we had not been to Katao. Rather we had done the Lachung side first and then gone to Lachen. From Lachung to Dikchu it was a smooth drive and there took the bypass thinking that we would save on time. 8 kilometers ahead of Gangtok there was another landslide. Only one small crane was deployed to clear the road. Measuring the inefficiency of the machine another crane was called for help and only then the road was cleared by 4:00 PM where we could have reach Gangtok by 1:30 PM. By then everyone was starving and we got out of the hotel and went to MG marg. We did some shopping and went to the much waited quality dinner.

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0156.jpg
Bye bye Lachung

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0158.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0162.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0163.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0185.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0186.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0209.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0211.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-index_1.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-index7.jpg
Some Random Picture between Lachung to Dikchu

In the bike trip from Gurudongmar we came down to Mangan and stayed there for the day. From Mangan the next morning we travelled to Gangtok. There was a land slide then also but it was a small one and bikes were made to pass by.

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn2895.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0063.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0065.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0068.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0078.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0098.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3221.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0629.jpg
2013 - View of Kangchenjunga from Singhik

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0633.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3370.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dsc_0640.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3388.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-dscn3392.jpg
2013 - returning from Lachen to Gangtok

To be continued ...
PointZero is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 23:46   #22
BHPian

Day 7 (Gangtok -> Siliguri -> Kolkata):

We started late from Gnagtok as I knew that It will be long drive to Kolkata. On the way we stopped at Bagdogra to capture some quick snaps. With normal halts for tea and food, we reached Kolkata at 3:30 AM on the next day after 17 hours of drive.

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0222.jpg
Teesta

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0231.jpg

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0235.jpg
Uncle and Aunt

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-tkd_0238.jpg
My Mom

In comparison to the present trip, the bike trip was much more exciting and adventurous. Though the comfort level was more in the car but I think in spite of odds we faced, the bike trip was much more rejuvenating. The places were far more beautiful. The golden peaks in the mist of the rainbow delighted us after a long tiring day of punctures while on the way to Gurudangmor. At each and every check point we were greeted and appreciated for the attempt we had made. In those days, very few people had been riding on the bike to north Sikkim. This time as the number of tourists travelling in their own car has increased, the importance has been lost.

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-2016_0423_153911_001.jpg
Botol Bari Road

Kolkata to North Sikkim - Drive to relive the golden pages of my diary-img_20160421_142226.jpg

Thanks You!

- PointZero
PointZero is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 12:22   #23
Team-BHP Support

Excellent travelogue PointZero. Great pictures of a wonderful land.

What you've said is right. While a car offers more comfort, a bike is more exciting.

It's indeed magical when the rays of the sun fall on the mountain peaks to make them appear golden. You managed to get a very nice picture of the Kanchejunga.

Loved the roads cut out in the mountains and the switchbacks. It's been a long time since I drove or travelled on such roads. Treacherous as the mountain roads appear, the thrill is unmatched.

Nice videos as well.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 14:14   #24
BHPian

North Sikkim has been always my favorite part. Wonderful photos from both the trips.

How tough do you think it would be to get permit for my EcoSport ? You have a Bolero and many hired cabs are Bolero/Max, so it is relatively easy to convince them. But what about small cars ?
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 00:18   #25
BHPian

Thanks Aditya, Even I was amazed to see the encroaching golden peaks for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Excellent travelogue PointZero. Great pictures of a wonderful land.

What you've said is right. While a car offers more comfort, a bike is more exciting.

It's indeed magical when the rays of the sun fall on the mountain peaks to make them appear golden. You managed to get a very nice picture of the Kanchejunga.

Loved the roads cut out in the mountains and the switchbacks. It's been a long time since I drove or travelled on such roads. Treacherous as the mountain roads appear, the thrill is unmatched.

Nice videos as well.
that traveling in a Bolero is always an added advantage to convince officers in such areas. Same time I don't think it will be a big issue for your ES as it has higher GC. Carry a copy of old permit (higher altitude drive) with you, it will help you to get the permit.

Also Samba has a amazing travelogue of North Sikkim with Sedans, Hatchbacks - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...backs-suv.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
North Sikkim has been always my favorite part. Wonderful photos from both the trips.

How tough do you think it would be to get permit for my EcoSport ? You have a Bolero and many hired cabs are Bolero/Max, so it is relatively easy to convince them. But what about small cars ?
PointZero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 02:36   #26
BHPian

Fantastic pictures PointZero. Enviable trip! Enchanting misty peaks. True that words cannot define nature & your camera speaks for it!

"It took another hour to convince him that I can drive on such terrains and make it to Gurudangmor" - Beyond papers & procedures, wondering that we need convince! them to get the permit.

You have a good writing skill, shuffling effortlessly between 2013 & 2016, still keeping track of both the trips! I felt like reading Ashwin Sanghi's books!
Raaj* is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 16:41   #27
Team-BHP Support

Amazing travelogue and pictures PointZero! It is amazing the way you have remembered and stopped at the same places to take pictures even after 3 years. Also good to see that you are enjoying the Bolero and taking it to places where it is meant to go
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 09:20   #28
BHPian

Superb travogue tutai da. Rated 5star. The pictures are amazing and so is your journey. And your memory regarding the locations of the pics from previous trip WOW!!! And kudos on utilising the bolero for what it is meant to do. Wish to see more of the travelogues like this.
tacho9000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 00:42   #29
BHPian

I am really shocked after getting so much appreciation.
Many many thanks to all of you for your kind support, and YES..... I am enjoying the Bolero very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaj* View Post
Fantastic pictures PointZero. Enviable trip! Enchanting misty peaks. True that words cannot define nature & your camera speaks for it!

"It took another hour to convince him that I can drive on such terrains and make it to Gurudangmor" - Beyond papers & procedures, wondering that we need convince! them to get the permit.

You have a good writing skill, shuffling effortlessly between 2013 & 2016, still keeping track of both the trips! I felt like reading Ashwin Sanghi's books!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Amazing travelogue and pictures PointZero! It is amazing the way you have remembered and stopped at the same places to take pictures even after 3 years. Also good to see that you are enjoying the Bolero and taking it to places where it is meant to go
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
Superb travogue tutai da. Rated 5star. The pictures are amazing and so is your journey. And your memory regarding the locations of the pics from previous trip WOW!!! And kudos on utilising the bolero for what it is meant to do. Wish to see more of the travelogues like this.
Old 4th November 2019, 23:02   #30
r.K
BHPian

Hello. I'm traveling to north sikkim next week. I'm renting an RE500 from gangtok and would be covering gurudongmar and yumthang. My wife would be pillion. Though we have toured on motorcycle before, Sikkim is a whole different animal.

I wanna know if this would be doable in Nov? How are the roads now? Kindly advice. Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks