Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2015, 10:53   #31
BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: The 2015 Himalayan Spiti Escape (Mahindra Adventure)

Logged in after more than an year, and found this amazing stuff to recharge myself!

Awesome stuff.
Went through it in one go.
Very well written and pics are to-the-point.

A huge applause for Mahindra guys.
revharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 16:27   #32
BHPian

Awesome!!!! Both the places you visited and the pics you have posted. And also very scary.

What are the qualifications, in terms of driving skill required for signing up for an adventure like this? I can only guess you must have loads of experience.

And I find it somewhat surprising that most of the vehicles are either Scorpios and XUVs. Only the lead and supports vehicles are Thars, when these should be the first choice for this terrain.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 17:08   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar View Post
That is a great Travelogue. Went through the entire writeup in one go. Superb Pictures with amazing details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by we_pull View Post
Super. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Thanks very much for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhishekkumar View Post
What a gem of a travelogue coupled with great narration and pictures. ....!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
.... Enjoyed the whole episode, it was crispy to the point and some amazing pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder View Post
....Awesome stuff.
Went through it in one go......
Thanks guys!!!! Glad to know you all liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
.... When it comes to road trips me and my friends often joke about not telling anyone about our plans or else the entire population of Delhi NCR would pack their bags and head for this 'new found discovery' Ironically the truly serene pictures posted on this travelogue beg simply to just that ! Also, events such as these really go a long way to show off the capabilities of Mahindra vehicles.
You are right. The charm of these places lie in very sparse "touristy folks" and you have the whole places to admire to yourself. If every second person starts visiting these places, then the charm will slowly fade away -- a truly catch 22 situation as every one should visit these places and admire the beauty of such places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
..What are the qualifications, in terms of driving skill required for signing up for an adventure like this? I can only guess you must have loads of experience.
If you can drive in city traffic and have done highway driving, you are good to go. No special experience required. also, at any stage if you feel like not driving, you can ask the support team to drive for that section and they will happily oblige. Mahindra really takes care of even such things on these adventures. We had few instances where few adventurers, for various reasons, didn't want to drive for some time and the support team drivers took over.

Quote:
And I find it somewhat surprising that most of the vehicles are either Scorpios and XUVs. Only the lead and supports vehicles are Thars, when these should be the first choice for this terrain.
Well, these SUV's (both from M&M/Tata) are really suited for these terrains. If I may say, they are better than Thar for such terrains as you have soft top in Thar and the dust after some time gets to you. In a Scorpio/Safari, you can be reasonably protected from dust & the elements. Trust me, that wind in the hair/open top jeep feeling is good only for some time. When you have blinding dust (and or rain) and need to travel for days at end, then one would prefer a vehicle well insulated from the elements.

In addition to that, these SUV's are reasonable comfortable over bad roads and in 4x4 mode they will take you ANYWHERE you want to go in these terrains.

PS: There were no XUV's in this expedition. I think you saw the Rexton (Media/Photography team used that) and confused it with XUV. All Participants were driving the Scorpios and if you wanted you could swap with the Thar(s) which the Mahindra team were driving. Quite a few people did drive those also for short distances.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th October 2015 at 17:25.
khan_sultan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 17:20   #34
BHPian

Wonderful review of the trip! I was so impressed with Mahindra Adventure that I have booked today the Wild Escape 2016 (Nagpur) trip for my wife and myself!
praveen789 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 17:21   #35
BHPian

Thanks for the very prompt response to my questions/observations. Just a coupe of additional questions. Did any of adventurers experience any problem with breathing at the high altitudes? And do you have to be physically very fit to do this trip?
Old 6th October 2015, 22:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Lovely narration and pictures of an epic adventure! Keep 'em coming!

BTW, it is nice to see a picture of my schoolmate, Vimal Parmar. I believe his wife won an award in the event.
Old 6th October 2015, 22:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shahnawaz, awesome write up man! Its well documented and going through it just made the entire expedition replay before my eyes. We had a great time and looking forward for many more exciting expedition with you guys!!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Wonderful review of the trip! I was so impressed with Mahindra Adventure that I have booked today the Wild Escape 2016 (Nagpur) trip for my wife and myself!
Welcome Praveen. Wild escape is for wildlife enthusiasts. Driving would be a bit less but you would enjoy morning safaris and a tiger sighting will make your day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Lovely narration and pictures of an epic adventure! Keep 'em coming!

BTW, it is nice to see a picture of my schoolmate, Vimal Parmar. I believe his wife won an award in the event.
Small world. Vimal has been a fantastic gentleman and was very much a part of the expedition. His wife won womens trophy in Great Escape Lonavala. She now owns a Thar besides XUV 500.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th October 2015 at 11:52. Reason: Merged
vinod_nookala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 08:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Welcome Praveen. Wild escape is for wildlife enthusiasts. Driving would be a bit less but you would enjoy morning safaris and a tiger sighting will make your day! .
Yes. It is good if the driving is less! It would be a good test as to how the whole thing is organised and to see if I can manage it before I join you guys on longer/tougher trips like Spiti or North East!

National parks being part of the trip are an added bonus as I have already visited others like Ranthambore, Corbett and Kaziranga so I know what an amazing experience it is. Pench and Kanha were anyway on my go-to list so it is good!
Old 7th October 2015, 09:47   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..Did any of adventurers experience any problem with breathing at the high altitudes? And do you have to be physically very fit to do this trip?
Luckily, none of us got AMS but yes, it can be a possibility. Breathing at high altitude can/is a bit tiring and the key is to keep physical exertion to a minimum and take it easy. We drank LOTS (i mean LOTS) of water and that also helped.

Physically fitness -- a normal bloke will do fine. Most of us were normal people who smoke and don't like going to gyms etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
..BTW, it is nice to see a picture of my schoolmate, Vimal Parmar. I believe his wife won an award in the event.
Vimal was very much there and we had tons of fun moments together on the trip. He has an amazing sense of photography and demanded that we pose for pictures and every food item was first photographed by him before anyone could eat it :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hey Shahnawaz, awesome write up man! Its well documented and going through it just made the entire expedition replay before my eyes. ..
Thanks Vinod. It was a real fun adventure and a pleasure meeting you after a gap of 4+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Yes. It is good if the driving is less! It would be a good test as to how the whole thing is organised and to see if I can manage it before I join you guys on longer/tougher trips like Spiti or North East!
Oh, it will be fun. Each adventure is unique in itself and an experience.
khan_sultan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 10:09   #40
Team-BHP Support

Man this is one awesome travelogue. Read the entire thing in one shot and I was hooked.

Just seeing the photos even from mobile camera were tempting. This is one road trip which should be done.

The travelogue was just like being there with you guys. Superb stuff from Mahindra in organizing. It really looks like they went to great lengths in planning it with the attention to detail.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 11:01   #41
BHPian

Quote:
...... I was so impressed with Mahindra Adventure that I have booked today the Wild Escape 2016 (Nagpur) trip for my wife and myself!
I am sure that you will have a great time and we are looking forward to a detailed travelogue from you after the Wild Escape 2116 from Nagpur.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 11:14   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing report, of which I guess was an even more amazing experience!!..

Thanks a ton, for sharing this detailed pics and write up for us lesser mortals.

And, kudos to Mahindra for organizing such events, in a classy manner. Does justice to their ad - Live Young, Live Free.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 11:40   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally posted by khan sultan
Luckily, none of us got AMS but yes, it can be a possibility. Breathing at high altitude can/is a bit tiring and the key is to keep physical exertion to a minimum and take it easy. We drank LOTS (i mean LOTS) of water and that also helped.
Lots of water means lots of pit stops; I believe it could be quite a problem even for guys when driving in a convoy. And for ladies that would present an even bigger problem.

Guess my chances of doing one of these Himalayan drives are receding. Will have to stick to the flat lands.
Old 7th October 2015, 11:44   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shahnawaz / Vinod / Hari - just a one word comment, and it comes straight from my heart! WOW! Also, thanks for putting my baby "on top of the world"! All the very best to you guys always, take care and God bless!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 14:59   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Man this is one awesome travelogue. Read the entire thing in one shot and I was hooked. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Amazing report, of which I guess was an even more amazing experience!!.. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shahnawaz / Vinod / Hari - just a one word comment, and it comes straight from my heart! WOW! Also, thanks for putting my baby "on top of the world"! ...r
Thanks Guys..!!! @DB, Thar was really at home in those places.

Quote:
Lots of water means lots of pit stops; I believe it could be quite a problem even for guys when driving in a convoy. And for ladies that would present an even bigger problem.

Guess my chances of doing one of these Himalayan drives are receding. Will have to stick to the flat lands.
Actually no. You can have as many bio breaks you want -- just tell on radio that you are breaking off for a bio break and the super sweep (who travels at the end of convoy) will watch out for you. The super sweep will not let you behind and will wait for you. We had several adventures break off frequently for bio breaks as and when they wished.

For women folks, the Mahindra support team was carrying a portable loo-tent and that was used and is very convenient. Something like this: http://www.amazon.in/Toilet-Tent-Clo...inhydr18418-21
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks