Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 20:42   #1
BHPian

Hogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods

Self & better half had popped down to Chennai on some family work. On the way back we stayed overnight at Vellore to see the Golden Temple. Next day morning we decided that we could squeeze in seeing the Hogenakkal falls before heading back to Bangalore. So in due course we landed up at the falls, parked our car and started walking to the main falls itself. It was then that we learnt that there had been heavy rains and flooding. The water had been so high that a lot of the railings on the pathways had been washed away and the falls had been closed. Luckily the falls had reopened the previous day.

So without much ado here are some photos & videos:-

The road to the falls passes through forest areas.
Hogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-way-hognekkal6_compressed.jpg

But the water tratement plant in the middle of the forest is an eye sore. Atleast they could have painted the roof green!
Hogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-way-hognekkal7_compressed.jpg

Before moving to the main photos & videos a google terrain map & some markups by me to enable all of you to get a hang of the layout. Pls. forgive my mouse-writing(even my school teachers used to say I need to improve my handwriting & "hum nahin sudre"). Needless to say I did not have this info when we actually visited the falls.
Hogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal-layout.jpg
The road side is where one parked the car. We crossed over on the suspension bridge to the side that is sort of an island between the main downstream gorge & the secondary gorge on the right. The close up photos & videos are of the waters falling into the secondary gorge.

Some photos of the actual waterfalls. These were taken after crossing over to the other side using the suspension bridge.
Hogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal1_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal2_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal3_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal4_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal5_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal6_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal7_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal8_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal9_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal10_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal11_compressed.jpg

The area where we crossed over, on the suspension bridge, was from where we took most of the photos & videos. It was almost dry. But presence of sand and pools of water indicated that at the peak of the flood the gorge must have completely flooded and water would have flown over the top of the gorge cliffs.
Hogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal13_compressed.jpg

This is a shortcut to cross over back to the parking side, though you do need to take a boat ride further on!. Actually the boat ride is needed from the Oil Bath area to the parking side. The part of the river that we crossed by boat empties over the falls shown in the first few photos and flows into the secondary gorge.
Hogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal14_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal24_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal25_compressed.jpg
The Coracle boat is made of split bamboo woven into a frame over which over some material and the tar is applied. Useful life is in months. When we crossed over a small part in the boat we could see the currents swirling all over the place. The round shape of the boat helps in that it is drag wise directionally neutral. We are used to having the boat move in the direction of the prow ( think this is the right word). But the coracles move in a crazy way. So you may be suddenly finding yourself going sideways but still heading to the destination. Total skill of the boatman and strong rowing strength. We did tip our guy generously over and above the fixed rate. There seems to be some sort of association that allocates rides so that all the boatmen get some business. Rates for various types of rides were also fixed.

The Oil Bath area is a sort of raised area of rocks that are connected by cement walkways. Even with the high water one could walk around without wetting one's feet. In normal times people cone hear to have an oil massage & bathe in the flowing water.
Hogenakkal is actually a series of falls. Most of them are on the upstream side and can be seen, close up, only by boat. We did not have time and the waters seemed too disturbed, so we did not even think of the boat rides in the main gorge, though they were offering boat rides downstream. Were content taking some long shots & videos. I have marked the point from where we took the long shots. There is a small watch tower which we climbed. I have used high zoom for many of the long shots.
Hogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal15_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal16_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal17_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal18_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-hognekkal20_compressed.jpg

The videos actually give a better idea of the intensity of the flow. So here goes:-

These are the videos of the falls emptying into the secondary gorge:-

In the last video above you could easily see the spray rising from the falls. "Hogenakkal" means "Smoking Rocks" and it lives up to its name.

Now a video of us taking a short cut to the Oil Bath area. The water channel was a small flow that was emptying into the main gorge upstream. So depth of water was not much, but the current was pretty strong! At the end of the video you can see some Coracles lining up for the downstream rides.

And our boat ride. I was clinging on with one hand so the video was pretty random and also not for the full ride. The second video shows the boat being taken for a fast side drift - if only we could do this with our cars!!

This is a series of videos shot in the Oil bath area. Though one is standing on dry ground the sound & fury of a massive waterfall just a few feet away is a different experience!

And then the video of the long shots of the distant falls:-

The next day we went to Gaganchukki to see the state of the falls. Even though there had been ample rainfall in the area the flow was ok. This is mainly due to an upstream dam that acts like a buffer. The only consolation was that the water was milky white!
Hogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-gaganchukki6_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-gaganchukki7_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-gaganchukki10_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-gaganchukki11_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-gaganchukki12_compressed.jpgHogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods-gaganchukki13_compressed.jpg

The next day we went to Jog Falls, but were disappointed as the flow was pathetic. And the day after that Gokak Falls turned out to be bone dry. So you could say it was a trip of diminishing falls!!. I am not posting any photos of these.

This month end we are galavanting around the Malanad area so hopefully we will manage to catch some good falls this time. Will make that a separate post if anything worthwhile comes up.

Last edited by sridhar-v : 18th July 2014 at 22:02.
sridhar-v is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 15:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hogenakkal, just after the September 2013 floods

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
Old 27th July 2014, 16:25   #3
BHPian

Hi
Nice trip photos
Quick Q : what's the route from Hogenakkal Falls to Gaganchukki Falls ( afaik this is Shivanasamudram ) ? Google maps shows a route, but I wasnt sure whether in reality a road exists.
Old 28th July 2014, 19:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
Hi
Nice trip photos
Quick Q : what's the route from Hogenakkal Falls to Gaganchukki Falls ( afaik this is Shivanasamudram ) ? Google maps shows a route, but I wasnt sure whether in reality a road exists.
We had gone to Bangalore from Hogenakkal. Next day we hired a Qualis ang went to Gaganchukki.
Day before yesterday I read that thre is a flood alert in Hogenekkal. We were driving down to Coimbatore from Krishnagiri day before yesterday and we took a deteour to have a look at Mettur dam Found the internal roads to be in good condition. Google maps is pretty accurate. Crosscheck with the online route facilty of MapmyIndia. Keek to State highways & you should be ok.
And uncertainity of roads is part of the fun of travelling.
The All India Road Atlas publised by Eicher and stste level maps by TTK are extremly accurate. On the road with a combo of these maps & a compass u can navigate almost anywhere even if GPS fails.

Do go & see both the falls immediately as u will get best flows now. Hogenekkal may or not be open- try ur luck!
Old 28th July 2014, 19:52   #5
BHPian

I use Sygic (with maps data from MammyIndia) as my navigation app. I run it on an Asus tablet that picks up both Gps & Glonass satellites. But still I face problems of loosing Gps signals at times. Mostly due to rain or forest cover. Sometimes the only option is to navigate using physical maps till signal is reacquired. And rebooting the tablet is a sort of last resort.

Are u all able to see the videos? Pls. let me know if there are any problems. Will rectify on reaching Pune by weekend.

Last edited by sridhar-v : 28th July 2014 at 20:12. Reason: addes point.
Old 28th July 2014, 20:34   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi
Nice trip photos
If want to directly head there, bypassing Bangalore, then there are two options:

1. Hogenakkal-Biligundla-Anchetty-Hunasanahalli-Kodehalli-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Shivasamundara

2. Hogenakkal-Pennagaram-Mecheri-Mettur-MM Hills - Hanur - Kollegal - Shivasamundaram

Both roads are equally scenic. While one goes more through TN the other goes more into KA.

Sridhar,

Cauvery surely was in flood mode. The colour of water is enough to prove that. Must have been ferocious.

Last edited by ampere : 28th July 2014 at 20:36.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 09:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Sridhar,

Cauvery surely was in flood mode. The colour of water is enough to prove that. Must have been ferocious.
Yep. It was agreat experience. The sound & fury is evident in the videos. My cousin reported that she could not see the videos. Did u face the same issue? Will correct on reaching Pune.
Old 29th July 2014, 14:49   #8
BHPian

Nice photos. Useful information.

Unable to watch many of the videos since it says they are for private view.

- Sai
Old 29th July 2014, 15:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Yep. It was agreat experience. The sound & fury is evident in the videos. My cousin reported that she could not see the videos. Did u face the same issue? Will correct on reaching Pune.
Yes. All the Hogenakkal videos show up as private. Hence cant be viewed.
Old 2nd August 2014, 11:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihari View Post
Nice photos. Useful information.

Unable to watch many of the videos since it says they are for private view.

- Sai
Quote:
Yes. All the Hogenakkal videos show up as private. Hence cant be viewed.
Have set the videos to "Public" & pressed the "publish" buttons for all. So u all should be able to see the videos now. Pls. let me know!
Old 4th August 2014, 10:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
If want to directly head there, bypassing Bangalore, then there are two options:

1. Hogenakkal-Biligundla-Anchetty-Hunasanahalli-Kodehalli-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Shivasamundara

2. Hogenakkal-Pennagaram-Mecheri-Mettur-MM Hills - Hanur - Kollegal - Shivasamundaram

Both roads are equally scenic. While one goes more through TN the other goes more into KA.
Add on question - if one needed to head to Mysore from Hogenakkal - it would be either of the above 2 routes or there is an alternate one ?
Old 4th August 2014, 10:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Add on question - if one needed to head to Mysore from Hogenakkal - it would be either of the above 2 routes or there is an alternate one ?
Hogenakkal-Pennagaram-Mecheri-Mettur-MM Hills - Hanur - Kollegal - T-Narasipura - Mysore.

Some rough sections around MM Hills and on NH212 around T-Narasipura. I dont know the latest conditions on NH212. There is a plan to upgrade this section.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed