Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 13:52   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Manuuj,
A great end to a fabulous journey. I guess there should be always something left for the next drive.

OT (As this is a travelogue forum !):
How did the Yokos perform ? Would be most eager to know...
Hi manuj

Great report of your trip to Leh. Im looking forward to making a similar trip pretty soon.

Sameer
Old 9th November 2013, 19:28   #107
BHPian

Re: Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!

Excellent writeup. I have been to Leh myself but on my bike all alone. It is a place to be for adventure seekers.

Would love to read about the comfort levels in the back seat of the two cars
Old 13th November 2013, 22:44   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
As far as the Fortuner and Pajero comparison goes they were almost equal in most respects but The Fortuner was far ahead of it in power and the Pajero seemed to struggle in some climbs and emitted thick black and rather embarrassing clouds of smoke. There was none coming out of the Fortuners tailpipes.

It also gave an average mileage of 6 kmpl once we entered the hills after Simla while the Fortuner returned a healthy 10 kmpl.

Offroad both were equally matched in places where Low range was required. The Pajero seemed to have a better ride quality on these rough roads though.

Abhimanyu did report that his suspension was shot after the trip while the Fortuner did NOT even require a Wheel Alignment job.

What really impressed me about Obelix was that we drove it in 2nd 3rd gear for the whole day, on river bed like roads for almost 150 kms..even using Low range in places from Kaza till Gramphoo but it did return almost 9-10 kmpl that day also.

Once we hit tarmac it continued to drive like i had just bought it from a Service at Galaxy Toyota.

It felt indestructible.

I have a real respect for Obelix now with some awe thrown in too.
Great Write up, admirable attention to detail, However as regards the comparison between the two vehicles, Their engine tech is more than a decade apart (IDI vs CRDI). Yet as far a capability is concerned offroad.. Fortuner has some ground to cover...there is a Youtube video (Pajero Vs Fortuner in J&K on OVERDRIVE) of comparison between the two which brings out the superiority of Pajero in Offroad conditions. A fair comparison would be between the Pajero Sport and Fortuner.
Old 14th November 2013, 13:38   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameeracer View Post
Hi manuj

Great report of your trip to Leh. Im looking forward to making a similar trip pretty soon.

Sameer
Thanks Sameer! You must take your Fortuner there and see its capabilities for yourself. Trust me you will not be dissapointed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Excellent writeup. I have been to Leh myself but on my bike all alone. It is a place to be for adventure seekers.

Would love to read about the comfort levels in the back seat of the two cars
The back seats were folded over during the trips and the space used for storage. There were two people to each car. That said, The Pajero (and Pajero Sport) offers a more pliant ride for rear passengers due to its suspension setup when compared to the Fortuner whose ride is a bit on the harsher side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds350 View Post
Great Write up, admirable attention to detail, However as regards the comparison between the two vehicles, Their engine tech is more than a decade apart (IDI vs CRDI). Yet as far a capability is concerned offroad.. Fortuner has some ground to cover...there is a Youtube video (Pajero Vs Fortuner in J&K on OVERDRIVE) of comparison between the two which brings out the superiority of Pajero in Offroad conditions. A fair comparison would be between the Pajero Sport and Fortuner.
I agree. A comparison between the Pajero Sport and Fortuner would ideally be fairer but as far as this trip goes the older Pajero was accompanying Obelix hence the comparison between the two.

That the Pajero is ahead in terms of Off Roading capabilities is a well known fact. More often than not though its the capabilities of the person behind the wheel that comes into play.

Thanks for your kind words about the TL
Old 14th November 2013, 15:27   #110
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Sameer!
Would definitely do so. Im planning a trip in march April. In case you want to join let me know.

I wanted to know how do u manage to keep the vehicle without a gaurd. Is it recommended to have a gaurd to protect it from minor accidents. If yes then any recommendations. The company offers only fibre ones which seem cosmetic.
Old 17th November 2013, 10:53   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I think TBhp guide on Leh Ladakh will have your question covered. Please refer following thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ghlight=ladakh

Also, there are quite a few Ladakh travelogues here on this forum which are done in a sedan. Please check travelogues section.
Quote:
Thank you dkaile! I see that you have been enjoying your new 2 wheeler ..meanwhile Falcon is craving your attention. Lets go next year together. I think even Admiral and Bison have threatened legal action if not taken to Leh soon.

The Srinagar Leh route has just been done in a Manza as you may have read in : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hd-2013-a.html

The road from Srinagar and Manali is more suited for these cars.

That said, we saw some Alto's also doing the Kaza route so I'm sure the Manza will do fine too. Its just a matter of being careful in the really rough sections.
Thanks Shipnil and Manuuj. I am waiting for the summers to give Leh a try through the Kaza route. Does anyone have any info if/how one can raise the suspension of the Manza a bit? Fiat recently came out with a kit to raise the Punto's suspension.
Old 5th March 2014, 17:54   #112
BHPian

I am fascinated with the write up. It is addictive and when I first started reading few weeks ago just about midnight on my Tab2, little did I know that I would be awake for as long as it takes to finish the post.

At the end of the reading the post, I had decided on 2 things.

One was to become a BHPian. I had been a regular visitor to the site over the past many years. Be it to read car reviews or to get guidance on planning outstation trips from Delhi. Happy to say, my application was approved and here I am writing as a fellow BHPian (junior!).

The second was to do the trip to Leh. However, unlike Obelix, Simba is automatic. So here are few aspects I would really really appreciate your guidance:

1. Is an automatic good enough to go through the rigours of the trip? July 2013 model. No off-roading till now. Done 14000. Tyres are in decent shape.

2. I plan to do Delhi - Manali – Leh – Manali – Delhi (I haven’t planned the details yet.)

3. Planned for September, 2014.

Look forward to guidance.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:15   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameeracer View Post
Would definitely do so. Im planning a trip in march April. In case you want to join let me know.

I wanted to know how do u manage to keep the vehicle without a gaurd. Is it recommended to have a gaurd to protect it from minor accidents. If yes then any recommendations. The company offers only fibre ones which seem cosmetic.
A metal guard is not recommended Sameer. It just adds to the weight of the front and is bad for the suspension. The Guards that the company provides are made of ABS and are the right choice, They are light and well engineered. They don't harm pedestrians in case of a minor shunt.

The metals ones do more harm than good in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
I am fascinated with the write up. It is addictive and when I first started reading few weeks ago just about midnight on my Tab2, little did I know that I would be awake for as long as it takes to finish the post.

At the end of the reading the post, I had decided on 2 things.

One was to become a BHPian. I had been a regular visitor to the site over the past many years. Be it to read car reviews or to get guidance on planning outstation trips from Delhi. Happy to say, my application was approved and here I am writing as a fellow BHPian (junior!).

The second was to do the trip to Leh. However, unlike Obelix, Simba is automatic. So here are few aspects I would really really appreciate your guidance:

1. Is an automatic good enough to go through the rigours of the trip? July 2013 model. No off-roading till now. Done 14000. Tyres are in decent shape.

2. I plan to do Delhi - Manali – Leh – Manali – Delhi (I haven’t planned the details yet.)

3. Planned for September, 2014.

Look forward to guidance.
Simba will be able to do the trip easily without any problems as long as you stick to the road and dont try taking shortcuts up the Gata loops or TanglalngLa.

Most of the road in in great condition and ive seen Qualis and Innovas do them all the time not to mention Alto's and some Nano's too.

My Travelogue has some lists of things to take along and route details also.

Please PM me your number and we can connect over whatsapp for faster communication if you like.

All the best for your trip! Cheers!
Old 25th February 2015, 12:58   #114
BHPian

Once you have been here you are addicted and will yearn to go back again and again. That is the statutory warning that should be given to every person who visits this majestic land.

Its will be two years since my trip and atleast once every week i go back there through my minds eye.

The mind body and heart yearn for a repeat..Obelix is chomping at his bit.. it has to happen again this year. Spiti, Kinnaur and Ladakh beckon me silently. The air, the silence and the incomparable beauty tug at me through invisible threads. It has to happen this year.

It has to.

Last edited by Manuuj : 25th February 2015 at 12:59.
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 21:08   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A metal guard is not recommended Sameer. It just adds to the weight of the front and is bad for the suspension. Cheers!
Quote:
Once you have been here you are addicted and will yearn to go back again and again. That is the statutory warning that should be given to every person who visits this majestic land.

Its will be two years since my trip and atleast once every week i go back there through my minds eye.

The mind body and heart yearn for a repeat..Obelix is chomping at his bit.. it has to happen again this year. Spiti, Kinnaur and Ladakh beckon me silently. The air, the silence and the incomparable beauty tug at me through invisible threads. It has to happen this year.

It has to.
I have fantasized about adding an ARB bullguard, but head has kept overruling the heart. Extra weight, suspension upgrade, and most important, the risk of hitting another pedestrian or small vehicle. With that bullguard, death or grievous injury will be likely. BUT: imagine that bullguard with 4 LightForce spots!

Let me know when you are planning to do another drive
Old 26th February 2015, 14:40   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I have fantasized about adding an ARB bullguard, but head has kept overruling the heart. Extra weight, suspension upgrade, and most important, the risk of hitting another pedestrian or small vehicle. With that bullguard, death or grievous injury will be likely. BUT: imagine that bullguard with 4 LightForce spots!

The ARB bumpers are now too old and heavy. There is another bumper manufacturer in South America by the name VPR4x4. Try googling bumpers for Fortuner. I am sure you will like it.
Old 7th March 2015, 17:26   #117
BHPian

Congratulations on completing this wonderful trip and sharing it with us. I seem to have got to the travelogue real late, but was so beautiful to travel again thru all those beautiful places all over again.
2013 May I covered Zanskaar and Ladhak again and it already feels like its been a long time, totally understand the feeling of wanting to visit over and over again.
Wishing you another trip this year and will look forward to reading a new travelogue with new experiences.
Coooolcat21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 15:13   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
Congratulations on completing this wonderful trip and sharing it with us. I seem to have got to the travelogue real late, but was so beautiful to travel again thru all those beautiful places all over again.
2013 May I covered Zanskaar and Ladhak again and it already feels like its been a long time, totally understand the feeling of wanting to visit over and over again.
Wishing you another trip this year and will look forward to reading a new travelogue with new experiences.
Thank you so much Coolcat21. Your own travelogue with its superlative writeup and photography played a major role in my decision and overall route as well.

I want to visit Zanskar in my next trip also. Any travelogue forthcoming from you on your 2013 trip to this palce?
Old 9th March 2015, 18:18   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much Coolcat21. Your own travelogue with its superlative writeup and photography played a major role in my decision and overall route as well.

I want to visit Zanskar in my next trip also. Any travelogue forthcoming from you on your 2013 trip to this palce?
Thank you Manuuj, happy to know that my log has helped in some way. I think its too late for me to be writing a log of a trip done in 2013 now
Old 10th April 2015, 13:40   #120
BHPian

Quote:

It has to.
Manuuj, anytime you want to make this trip this year, I would love to join you from Mumbai.

Ever since I have read your account, the bug of driving from Mumbai to Ladakh has bitten me. I was planning on doing it this year in my Fortuner as well.

Mine has covered almost 70k km, and this would be a good way to get it to stretch its legs a little bit.

Finally, Im sure more members of the T-FOG group would be aching to join. I know our friend would be looking down on us from up above!
tvrspeed12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks