Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 13:09   #1
BHPian

Weekend Getaway: Mysore

Me and wifey hadn't gone on a long drive for almost a month. One or the other task always played spoilsport and ruined our weekend plans. I always had a preference for a 3-day trip, where as wifey preferred a 2-day weekend trip always. As always, I had to compromise and we decided on a 2-day trip. We shortlisted a few places for the weekend trip:
  • Mysore
  • Wayanad
  • Coorg
  • Ooty
  • Bandipur
  • Masinagudi
  • Pondicherry
  • Chikmagalur

Finally both of us decided to go and visit Mysore since the other places mentioned above requires at least a minimum of three days to enjoy the nature in its full glory. Wifey agreed on Mysore since it can be easily reached within three hours and since Dussehra is nearing, lighting arrangements would have begun already.

Route options
Route 1: Bangalore - Bidadi - Ramanagara - Channapatna - Maddur - Mandya - Srirangapatna - Mysore (Approximate 165 kms)

Route 2: Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore (Approximate 175 kms)

Route 3: Bangalore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Nelligere - Melukote - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - Mysore (Approximate 190 kms)

Forward journey: Started Saturday morning: 10:00 AM. Reached 1:30 PM. Kanakapura Road.
Return journey: Started Sunday evening 7 PM. Reached home 11 PM.

My Ritz VXI returned an impressive mileage of 16.35 KMPL, a decent number for a petrol engine.

Luckily for me, wifey doesn't get much into all the route details and planning stuff. I wanted to explore as many routes as possible, and hence chose Route2 for the forward journey via Kanakapura. While returning, we came via Route1. Of these two routes, I found Route1, the Bangalore-Mysore highway the best. The roads are in excellent condition and one can easily travel at a consistent speed of 80-100 KMPH.

The initial plan was to get up on Saturday morning at 6AM and start by 7AM sharp. But as always, we got up after 8AM and finally started at about 10AM. We took the outer ring road from Hebbal toward Rajarajeshwari Nagar, and then joined the Kanakapura road via the expressway. It took us almost an hour to reach the Kanakapura road near Art of Living from Hebbal. The traffic was at its peak. From Art of Living center, it was a smooth drive. The road is in excellent condition up to Malavalli. One has to go through Malavalli city to reach Bannur, and the road is average. The road from Bannur to Mysore is not so wide and one has to be alert since there are a lot of lorries and tractors on this route.

Hotel details:
We stayed at "Ruchi the Prince" for just a night. I shortlisted a few decent accommodation options, but in the end decided to go for "Ruchi the prince". It is a simple no-frills hotel, and the amenities are good enough. I booked a non-AC room since the weather is Mysore is pleasant, and the damage on the pocket was around 1800 bucks including tax and other charges. We used room-service for our lunch, dinner, beverages, and breakfast. The room service charges came to 2000 bucks. It's a good value for money hotel. The hotel has decent garden area, which is really well maintained. We even saw some swans and turkeys in the garden area roaming around freely. Tables are arranged on the lawn for lunch and dinner, and they even arrange for candle-light dinners.

I had initially planned for Ginger Hotel, but then saw some negative reviews about the small room space. I would recommend "Ruchi the Prince" to anyone going to Mysore in the future, and looking for a decent accommodation. The locality is good, and the hotel is hygienic.
PS: Don't miss to order Idli and Vada for breakfast. It's absolutely delicious.

Check out the snaps of the birds maintained in the hotel garden:
Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ruchi_1.jpg

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ruchi_2.jpg

Last edited by scorpion_blore : 5th October 2013 at 22:32. Reason: Title changed
scorpion_blore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 23:35   #2
BHPian

Weekend Getaway: Mysore (Part 2)

After reaching the hotel at 2, we ordered for in-room lunch. The service is extremely quick, and all the items were delivered within 15 minutes flat. We took a quick nap after dinner and then headed to KRS in the evening at around 5:30 PM.

KRS (Brindavan Gardens) is located about 12-14 KM from this hotel. Google Maps guided us through some industrial area, and the road is in excellent condition for some part. Near KRS, the road is in bad shape. I really wonder why the authorities are not doing anything to improve this stretch. We visitied few places in Mysore, and KRS had the biggest crowd among them. We didn't enjoy KRS much. We found the musical fountain show to be lame (just my opinion). Probably we were expecting too much. We took a few snaps here, and quickly left for Mysore Palace.

Musical Fountain show at KRS (Brindavan Gardens):
Weekend Getaway: Mysore-krs.jpg

When we left KRS it was about 7:30 PM. From here we drove directly to Mysore Palace and parked our car about 500m away from the palace. Wifey did some shopping on the way to the palace. We made our way to the palace and found that the entrance was locked, as expected. We were not keen on visiting the palace, but wanted to see the light arrangements for Dussehra. The entire palace was lit up, and it looked majestic. After some bargaining, we took a 'Tanga' ride for 100 bucks. The ride covers the entire palace and shows all the four entrances. On the way he dropped us at Cauvery Emporium for some shopping. Wifey again bought some saree for her, and a shirt for me (sweet surprise). The Tanga ride continued and we were dropped to the place where we had parked our car.

Mysore Palace at night:
Weekend Getaway: Mysore-mysorepalace.jpg

It was almost 9:30 PM by then. We decided to call it a day, and drove back to the hotel. We ordered some rice items, and a couple of cocktails for dinner. All the items were excellent, and the cocktail had its effect. I slept like a baby for the entire night.

Last edited by scorpion_blore : 5th October 2013 at 22:34.
scorpion_blore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 08:39   #3
BHPian

Weekend Getaway: Mysore (Part 3)

We woke up at 8:30AM the next day, and ordered for in-room breakfast. We ordered for Idli and Vada, and both the items looked to be freshly prepared, and it was extremely delicious. We started our drive to Chamundi Hills by around 10:30 AM.

It took almost an hour to reach Chamundeswari Temple on Chamundi Hills. One need to climb about 150-200 steps from the car parking area to reach the temple entrance. We paid 200 bucks and got couple "Nera Darshan" tickets, and we had the darshan within 5 minutes. "Special Darshan" ticket was also available for 30 bucks, but the queue was a bit long for our comfort. "Free Darshan" line was too crowded. After Chamundeswari darshan, we went and paid a visit to Nandi statue, which is located just about 2KM away from Chamundeswari temple. our next stop was at the "Tripurasundari" Temple.

Beware of monkeys at Chamundi Hills:
Weekend Getaway: Mysore-chamundi1.jpg

View from Chamundi Hills:
Weekend Getaway: Mysore-chamundi2.jpg

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-chamundi3.jpg

Nandi Statue:
Weekend Getaway: Mysore-nandi.jpg

I recommend visitors to cover Chamundeswari Temple, Nandi Statue, and Tripurasundari Temple pre-lunch. It's better to have the darshan by 9 AM. It'll give enough time to cover Nandi statue and Tripurasundari Temple by 11 AM. The post-lunch session can then be utilized well for visiting other attractions. Tripurasundari Temple is not that well known, and many tourists tend to miss it. It's located at the bottom of Chamundi Hills, and can be easily searched in Google Maps.

Entrance of Tripurasundari Temple:
Weekend Getaway: Mysore-tripurasundari_1.jpg

Snaps of Tripurasundari temple premises:
Weekend Getaway: Mysore-tripurasundari2.jpg

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-tripurasundari3.jpg

By the time we came out of Tripurasundari Temple, it was almost 1:30 PM. So we decided to head back to the hotel and check-out.

Last edited by scorpion_blore : 5th October 2013 at 22:36.
Old 5th October 2013, 15:36   #4
BHPian

Weekend Getaway: Mysore (Part 4)

After checking-out from the hotel, our next stop was Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary. The entry ticket is 30 bucks, and the boating charge is 50 bucks per person. There is a canteen at the entrance. After lunch at the canteen, we directly went to the boating area, and wifey started demanding for a separate boat just for us. The guy handling these boats instructed us to get another ticket for 1000 bucks! Coughed up the big amount, and we went on the boat ride, just the two of us: me and wifey. It was really a very special moment. There were not many birds though. The guy handling the boat told us that they would flock here during summer. We spotted about 4-5 crocodiles. He stopped the boat just next to the crocodile resting on a boulder so that we could take some close-up snaps, and it was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ranganathittu_1.jpg

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ranganathittu_2.jpg

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ranganathittu_3.jpg

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ranganathittu_4.jpg

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ranganathittu_5.jpg

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ranganathittu_6.jpg

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ranganathittu_7.jpg

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ranganathittu_8.jpg

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ranganathittu_9.jpg

During the boat ride, wifey asked the boat handler to take us further down the river, and he demanded another 500 bucks. Spent another 500 bucks, and extended the boat ride by about 15-20 minutes.

We left Ranganathittu at about 5:30 PM and headed for Srirangapatna, which is quite nearby.

Last edited by scorpion_blore : 5th October 2013 at 22:38.
Old 5th October 2013, 22:13   #5
BHPian

Weekend Getaway: Mysore (Part 5)

We reached Srirangapatna at about 6 PM. Here we visited Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple first.

Few snaps captured at Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple:
Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ranganathaswamy_temple_1.jpg

Weekend Getaway: Mysore-ranganathaswamy_temple_2.jpg

We even had a horse ride near the temple for 150 bucks. Later on we visited Nimishamba Temple, and it was the last stop in our journey. From here, we drove directly to Bangalore.

On the way, we stopped at Maddur to drink some fresh tea, and wifey told that it was the best tea she had in her life. Indeed, the tea was really great. Further in Maddur we stopped at Tiffany's and snacked on some Maddur vada, and packed some for home. From here, it was a direct drive to our home with just a stop in between at a dhaba for dinner.

Last edited by scorpion_blore : 5th October 2013 at 22:29.
scorpion_blore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 16:44   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Weekend Getaway: Mysore

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 17:20   #7
BHPian

Scorpion,
Thanks for yet another nice travelogue.
Beautiful photos.
Your travelogue reminds me my trip to Mysore last year. Even I followed almost the same itinerary except we have stayed at Hotel Mayura Cauvery inside Brindavan Gardens.
You spent Rs.1500 for a 30 mts. boat ride?
Rs.500/- as tips for 15-20 mts boat ride is definitely on the higher side. You should have negotiated.
Old 7th October 2013, 17:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue Scorpion with wonderful pictures to go with it, Mysore never ceases to delight ! I am a frequent visitor there but have never stayed at Ruchi, must try it out now, thanks for sharing !
Old 7th October 2013, 17:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
You spent Rs.1500 for a 30 mts. boat ride?
Rs.500/- as tips for 15-20 mts boat ride is definitely on the higher side. You should have negotiated.
The boat ride was for more than an hour. The actual charge per person for a shared boat is 50 bucks. Since I and my wife wanted a separate boat just for us, we had to cough up 1000 bucks.

We had to spend another 500 bucks since we asked the guy handling the boat to take the boat to some interior areas, where they usually do not take.

Yes, even I felt that 500 bucks is a bit too much. Somehow managed to bring down the amount from 1000 bucks to 500 after a lot of bargaining.
Old 9th October 2013, 16:47   #10
BHPian

Had been to ranganathittu last week with friends, we had the company of a mid-aged woman begging to return to the shore after seeing a croc from may be 20-25 meters from her whereas the daughter was clueless as to why her mother was scared. We had fun nonetheless.However, we could have definitely liked more silence.
Old 11th October 2013, 15:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Weekend Getaway: Mysore (Part 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
There were not many birds though. The guy handling the boat told us that they would flock here during summer.
Oh, I thought time with most birds will be around winter (Nov- Feb) time. Was thinking of a trip around that time. Will have to delay till summer then.

Quote:
He stopped the boat just next to the crocodile resting on a boulder so that we could take some close-up snaps, and it was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
All the crocs in your pics are real huge ones.
Old 11th October 2013, 15:53   #12
BHPian

@ Scorpion, Nice travelogue and amazing pictures . This reminds me of my Mysore Trip with my family last year (august 2012). We had been to all the places which you had mentioned above and we were able to see few birds in those dense bushes.

Also, we were able to spot quite a few crocs as well. You are fortunate that you got an exclusive boat for your ride unlike me, where we were bundled along with 10-15 other members in one boat. The boatman did take us through a circular path and we were back in 20 mins.

I am curious to know whether the Mysore Palace was not decked up with 1 lakh bulbs on Saturday evening/night or was it switched off by the time you reached there...??

Will try to upload few photos of mine, if you give me permission to share your thread.

Cheers!!!!
Old 16th October 2013, 14:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoAficionado View Post
I am curious to know whether the Mysore Palace was not decked up with 1 lakh bulbs on Saturday evening/night or was it switched off by the time you reached there...??

Will try to upload few photos of mine, if you give me permission to share your thread.

Cheers!!!!
The palace was lit up, but I don't think there were 1 lakh bulbs. Looked like the lighting arrangements were in place, but switched off. Even the entrance to the palace was not lit up well.

Sure, feel free to share your photos here.
Old 9th February 2016, 03:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I would recommend "Ruchi the Prince" to anyone going to Mysore in the future, and looking for a decent accommodation. The locality is good, and the hotel is hygienic.
Thank you Scorpion_blore, i took your recommendation & had a nice time in "Ruchi The Prince" last week. I stayed there for 3 days. Room in the 1st floor with balcony & free wifi! There is a play area near the stage and my kid made himself busy while i & wifie enjoyed walking in the well maintained lawn around the small fountain.
Go to the clean water pool (in the adjoining Le Ruchi The Prince hotel) with your favourite book & you will not wish to come back until dinner.
Breakfast, surprisingly till date, they give Idli and Vada only! Ofcourse, delicious. The sweet pan in the parking area, swans and turkey all are enjoyable
Helpful staff. Quick room service. Looking at us speaking in tamil, the Chef (from TN) introduced himself and we spent chatting the nuances of his signature dishes.
I too would recommend the hotel for future visitors to Mysore.
Old 13th May 2016, 11:49   #15
BHPian

Re: Weekend Getaway: Mysore (Part 2)

Quote:

Route options
Route 1: Bangalore - Bidadi - Ramanagara - Channapatna - Maddur - Mandya - Srirangapatna - Mysore (Approximate 165 kms)

Route 2: Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore (Approximate 175 kms)

Route 3: Bangalore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Nelligere - Melukote - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - Mysore (Approximate 190 kms)

Forward journey: Started Saturday morning: 10:00 AM. Reached 1:30 PM. Kanakapura Road.
Return journey: Started Sunday evening 7 PM. Reached home 11 PM.
Crisp and beautiful travel log there. Very beautiful images as well. I hope people take good care of that place before its too late.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ory-birds.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks