Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 21:44   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: 25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Picture abhi bakhi hai mere dost.
A small account of duster's home run is coming up next. Eventhough it was a small distance the log will not be complete until the last man standing (yeah thats me :-D) reaches home safe and sound.

Yes sir, we need that log for sure, you also produce the epilogue for the journey and I can add on
Old 16th October 2013, 08:44   #182
BHPian

Day 19 - Sept 10

DAY 19 – Home Run
Sept 10th – 9:30AM
Destination: Chennai
Route: Belgaum – Hubli – Davangere – Chitradurga – Sira – Tumkur - Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Chennai

It was beginning to sink in that this mammoth trip is drawing to a close. It was a pretty relaxed start. Initial plan for me was to stay back in Mohanan's place for the night and start to Chennai early on Sept 11. Keeping this in mind, I was driving in a relaxed pace when I received a call from my parents. They were of the opinion that I return the same day. Obviously they were missing me and even I was missing home badly. This is when the decision to drive to Chennai was taken. The same was informed to the Manza guys during a break.

After lunch at Sira we parted ways with Manza and decided to floor the pedal to the metal. Hari was with us as Mohanan and Hari were staying nearby. The drive was pretty uneventful. Once we crossed Tumkur, we had to slow down owing to increase in traffic. Manza caught up with us near Neelamangala toll and they proceeded towards the NICE road and we proceeded straight towards the city.

People out there might know how clogged the Yashwantpura railway gate is. We made a mistake and took that route. The mistake was realised soon enough to take a U and then an alternate route towards Baanaswadi.

After dropping Hari in his house we proceeded to KR Puram where I dropped Mohanan and freshened up in his guest house. Mean while all the photos and videos were transferred to his laptop from mine. It was 5:30pm when I started to Chennai via Chittoor. This is logically shortest route to Chennai from KR Puram.

The last man standing (driving indeed) was me and I was happy to cross the traffic soon. That is when I received a call from Mohanan and he advised me against taking the Chittoor route due to the T issue. He had apparently enquired through his contacts and it was not safe at that hour to take that route. The thought of taking the Silkboard route at this hour on a weekday was terrifying but there were no options left with me.

Reached Hosur at 7:00pm and from there it was a clear run. No traffic, good roads and the urge to get home soon made the journey a real fast one. I had no plans to stop in between for chai or dinner. In-fact the only chai I had on this whole trip was in Srinagar (house boat).

The whole drive was uneventful except for a spell of heavy rains near Kanchipuram. I had to reduce my speed to nearly half for almost 10kms. The visibility was near zero in this stretch. Reached home exactly at 11:10pm on 10 Sept 2013.

It was a dream come true for me, that too in a short period of time. In-fact it was in 2011 end I came across various Ladakh logs and the dream was planted. I would like to thank Hirak for making this dream come true and thank each and everyone in the team for making this trip memorable in one way or the other.

Distance covered: 862 kms
Time Taken: 13.5 hrs includes a break in Bangalore
Map:
Name:  BelgaumChennai.png
Views: 2240
Size:  176.6 KB

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 16th October 2013 at 08:47.
narsi_6989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 09:20   #183
BHPian

Congratulations team This was truly one of the best logs here. The way Hirak and Narsi have documented each and every detail of the journey is truly commendable.

I still remember my first meeting with Hirak some time last year where he was so eager to hear my experiences and feedbacks. For almost 1 year you guys have planned this trip to perfection, but as they say, there are some things which are beyond our control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post

The number of diverse vehicles would have been quite large had it not been for cancelation. Initially we had an XUV, Vista, Nano, Santro, Verna, Punto, Polo as well.
I think a diesel beat was also in the list of probables. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Overall I must admit that I enjoyed each and every post of your log to the fullest. Congratulations once again and you guys deserve a pat on your back
rohittunga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 09:24   #184
BHPian

Thanks to Hirak and Narsi for you jovial and detailed travelogue. These many days of reading has been a real joy. One gets the feeling of living through the trip. Very well written

That sentimental touch of Pune departure video is an icing on the cake.

Eagerly looking forward to the last bit of logistics and as Narsi mentioned, "Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost"
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 09:45   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post

The last man standing (driving indeed) was me and I was happy to cross the traffic soon. That is when I received a call from Mohanan and he advised me against taking the Chittoor route due to the T issue. He had apparently enquired through his contacts and it was not safe at that hour to take that route. The thought of taking the Silkboard route at this hour on a weekday was terrifying but there were no options left with me.
Indeed the last man driving. When I checked or may be you messaged, do not remember correctly I was of the impression that you would be half way to Chennai when in fact you were going towards Hosur. Somehow the T effect was not taken into consideration. No newspaper for 19 days ensured that we are cut off from these news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
Congratulations team This was truly one of the best logs here. The way Hirak and Narsi have documented each and every detail of the journey is truly commendable.

I still remember my first meeting with Hirak some time last year where he was so eager to hear my experiences and feedbacks. For almost 1 year you guys have planned this trip to perfection, but as they say, there are some things which are beyond our control.

I think a diesel beat was also in the list of probables. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Overall I must admit that I enjoyed each and every post of your log to the fullest. Congratulations once again and you guys deserve a pat on your back
Oh yes, there was one Beat diesel of tckant. Well once I had received a green signal from the home ministry I was more than eager to complete this trip this year. Of course there are a lot of things pending and this was more of a touch and go kind of a trip but 2 years down the line when it happens again I feel it will be a lot more easier with the experience gained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Thanks to Hirak and Narsi for you jovial and detailed travelogue. These many days of reading has been a real joy. One gets the feeling of living through the trip. Very well written

That sentimental touch of Pune departure video is an icing on the cake.

Eagerly looking forward to the last bit of logistics and as Narsi mentioned, "Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost"
Yes "logistics toh abhi baki hain mere dost." I am trying to gather all the information about the hotels as of now so that should be up soon.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 10:08   #186
BHPian

Epilogue

Epilogue

It is 7:30am on 11 Sept 2013 and my alarm goes off. It is cruel to wake up this early after such a long trip, but the Duster has to get to its owner for an early session of rejuvenation and spa. During the last leg it was decided between me and Sathya that the Duster will be delivered to him early today at a common place.

It is 10:00am now and I just outside CMBT and here comes Sathya in his ANHC. The rattle in the passenger door is explained and the car delivered to him in very good condition.

The responsibility is off my shoulder finally and I am happy that I did my part well.

It is time for me to take a bus back home. Though it will be a very short journey, the tiredness is finally taking its toll on my body. I am missing my Fabia badly!
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 12:12   #187
Senior - BHPian

Live Your Dream

Here is a video summing up our entire journey through thick and thin, fights and laughter, pain and pleasure, scare and Triumph.

PS: Please watch it in 720p
motomaverick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 14:34   #188
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Hirak & team for this wonderful travelogue. This is surely one of the best written logs here.

It is really great to see a team whose each member is a stranger to another accomplishing a common goal. Despite all the trails, tribulations & anxious moments, the team went back home succesfully.

Once again it feels sad that I cannot be a part of this team & look forward to drive you all sometime in future.

Thanks,
Old 17th October 2013, 11:07   #189
Senior - BHPian

Hotel Reviews

Folks here is the list of hotels that we stayed and their review. I would urge my team mates to pour in their thoughts as well.

DAY 1 - HUBLI

Hotel Name – Hotel Dhammanagi Comforts
Hotel Address – Dhammanagi Prestige Plaza,Opp. Old Bus Stand,P.B. Road, Hubli – 580 0 29
Phone - 0836 4261299
Tariff – 2200 per double room (Breakfast inclusive)
Website - http://www.hoteldhammanagicomforts.in/
How was the booking done? – Made through makemytrip.com
Our Rating – ****

Our Take :
A comfortable hotel located right in the center of the business district. Rooms are clean with all modern amenities. Parking is there but it is a slightly tight space.

Recommendation: Recommended for both family & individuals

Map:
25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013-maps_hubli.jpg

Hotel Picture
25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013-lecday12.jpg

DAY 2 - THANE

Hotel Name – Hotel Fountain
Hotel Address – Western Express Highway No. 8, Thane Ghodbunder Road, Mira Road, Thane
Phone - 022 8456211
Tariff – 1200 per double room only
Website - None
How was the booking done? – Onsite booking
Our Rating – **

Our Take :
A run of the mill hotel typical of something like a motel near the highway. Please take rooms which are facing away from the highway. Renovation working going on at our floor. Bathroom was clean but the bed sheets were so so.

Recommendation: Recommended only for individual

Map:
25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013-maps_fountain.jpg

Hotel Picture
25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013-lecday31.jpg

==============

DAY 3 - RATANPUR

Hotel Name – Hotel Kingfisher Palace
Hotel Address – N.H. -8 Ratanpur Road Bichhiwara, Dungarpur,Rajasthan
Phone - [i+91-8824028335 [/i]
Tariff – Will Update soon
Website - http://ad.pensamedia.org/hotel-kingfisher
Our Rating – **

Our Take :
Another motel time hotel with basic rooms. The bathroom was clean though a/c and other things look old and dated. Food was good for a surprise. Again a place to sleep overnight and nothing more.

Recommendation: Recommended only for individual

Map:
25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013-maps_kingfisherpalace.jpg

Hotel Picture
25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013-lechirak8.jpg

==============

DAY 4 - HANUMANGARH

Hotel Name – Hotel Narang
Hotel Address – Sri Ganganagar Road, Hanumangarh Junction, Rajasthan - 335512
Phone - 1552 266454
Tariff – 1200 for double room (No breakfast)
Website - http://www.naranghotel.com/
Our Rating – ****

Our Take :
A good proper hotel in the heart of the city. Rooms were neat and clean with a clean bathroom. This is the only hotel where I saw a fan inside the bathroom. Yeah things can get hot inside.

Recommendation: Recommended for family or individual

Map:
25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013-maps_narang.jpg

Hotel Picture
25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013-hotelnarang.jpg

==============

DAY 5 - PATNITOP

Hotel Name – Hotel Alpine Guest House
Hotel Address – National Highway 1A, Patnitop, India
Phone - 0194 - 2457930
Tariff – 600-800 per double room
Website - http://jktdc.in/contact-us.html
Our Rating – ***

Our Take :
Welcome to the old world wooded rooms of Kashmir. The hotel is clean and very much usable. The rooms have a distinct woody smell to them. Bathroom have 24 hour hot water. Restaurant is well equipped and serves good food.

Recommendation: Recommended for family or individual

Map:
25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013-maps_patnitop.jpg

Hotel Picture
25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013-lecday61.jpg

Will be back again in the next post with the rest

Last edited by motomaverick : 17th October 2013 at 11:09.
motomaverick is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 13:14   #190
BHPian

Motomaverick!

EPIC stuff. I am saying EPIC as I think this TL will be referred to by most others "want to go to Leh" and will become a guideline for them. It is surely the Ramayana/Mahabharata of TL's.

Congrats are first in order and at the cost of repeating other posts, the meticulousness of planning is evident in your description of daily happenings, the confidence in self and vehicle amply demonstrated and the enthusiasm to do "it" is very much the entire post itself.

I have followed your posts on the Manza user experience and along with the dreams of changing my lights, engine mapping/tune up etc., the desire to get LEH'd also gets added on.

Last edited by pariwar : 17th October 2013 at 13:15.
Old 17th October 2013, 13:20   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Motomaverick!

EPIC stuff. I am saying EPIC as I think this TL will be referred to by most others "want to go to Leh" and will become a guideline for them. It is surely the Ramayana/Mahabharata of TL's.

Congrats are first in order and at the cost of repeating other posts, the meticulousness of planning is evident in your description of daily happenings, the confidence in self and vehicle amply demonstrated and the enthusiasm to do "it" is very much the entire post itself.

I have followed your posts on the Manza user experience and along with the dreams of changing my lights, engine mapping/tune up etc., the desire to get LEH'd also gets added on.
Thanks Pariwar and I am glad that the Ladakh bug has bitten you as well

I enjoyed presenting it as much as you have enjoyed reading it. The prep work with the inital plans was started almost 250 days prior to the trip. Well I cannot match the stalwarts like tsk or adc in terms of details and experience but its a start.

Last edited by motomaverick : 17th October 2013 at 13:21.
Old 17th October 2013, 16:31   #192
BHPian

Feeling a little sad that this wonderful travelogue has come to the end. Its like reading the last pages of a good book.. you wish it would continue for some more pages!
Thanks for the wonderful read. We readers lived some parts of the adventure through your words and pics.
Hope to get leh'd in reality next year.
Old 17th October 2013, 21:58   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Feeling a little sad that this wonderful travelogue has come to the end. Its like reading the last pages of a good book.. you wish it would continue for some more pages!
Thanks for the wonderful read. We readers lived some parts of the adventure through your words and pics.
Hope to get leh'd in reality next year.
Picture toh abhi baki hain mere dost. Logs of all the prep work etc are coming up so stay tuned.

All the best for your plans for the coming year, may Changla baba bless you.
Old 18th October 2013, 11:02   #194
BHPian

@ motomaverick

A Gem of a travelogue

I was so addictive to read it as and when i had leisure time, I won't mind reading your travelogue time and again.

Enjoyed thoroughly each and every detailed narration (writing style) with pictures supporting the same.

It would have been difficult initially adjust yourself with people whom you are not accustom to, but as the days were proceeding you people managed to gel well with each other.

At last it was Unity in Diversity (hope this is not and over statement)
Old 18th October 2013, 11:11   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
@ motomaverick

A Gem of a travelogue

I was so addictive to read it as and when i had leisure time, I won't mind reading your travelogue time and again.

Enjoyed thoroughly each and every detailed narration (writing style) with pictures supporting the same.

It would have been difficult initially adjust yourself with people whom you are not accustom to, but as the days were proceeding you people managed to gel well with each other.

At last it was Unity in Diversity (hope this is not and over statement)
Thanks driving_smartly, your statement is certainly apt. There are a few folks who are preferring to stay diverse but thats understandable but majority of the folks are united even now and pretty eager for another round of tripping next year to some place else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks