Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 15:21   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Are you talking about the Kangra fort? Haven't seen it yet. Is it good?
Yes I was referring to Kangra fort. It is a vast place. Nothing strikingly different, but nevertheless, a nice place to visit. The only issue is elderly may find it difficult climb and walk up. Quite some distances to cover on foot.
Old 8th March 2013, 16:54   #32
BHPian

Re: Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 day

^^ beg to differ there..
The Kangra Fort is one of those forts that offers brilliant views of the valley around them. Its an experience witnessing a sunrise/sunset from there!
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 23:15   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
^^ beg to differ there..
The Kangra Fort is one of those forts that offers brilliant views of the valley around them. Its an experience witnessing a sunrise/sunset from there!
May be thats the reason Buxx. We visited the place at noon. It was so hot, that all we wanted to do was see the place and leave. Did not have much time to come back. Should do it once again .
Old 9th March 2013, 01:04   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It might be the lowest point, at that place, some thing should be possible. It was the same then and its same now !
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Well, I thought the patch in the middle (pond?) added beauty to this place. Din't really feel it was out of place. The place was a lot more peaceful and cleaner, when we visited. I believe it is the tourists who need to take responsibility and keep the place clean, rather than the authorities. I guess every beautiful place goes through a phase where tourists pollute and authorities are put in a fix.
I just went through the archives and found some more pics that I can share. Here's a close up that highlight the condition of the pond (when I visited it).

Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 days-k1.jpg

From a distance it does look good.

Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 days-k3.jpg

Quote:
Best part is; go to Naddi (near the ISPS school) and sit in the wilderness with hot "chai" in hand! That's the best part of the holiday.
Here's a shot of Naddi covered in mist. Chai + mist + Naddi. I need to go again soon.

Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 days-naddi.jpg

I missed uploading pics of Karmapa monastery last time. Here are some pics.

Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 days-dsc00869.jpg

Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 days-dsc00873.jpg

Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 days-dsc00875.jpg

Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 days-dsc00876.jpg

Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 days-dsc00881.jpg

Finally, some more pics of Khada danda road to Mcleodganj. It's a very tricky section especially when it rains. The pics might not convey but it has some really narrow hair-pin bends and the slope is also very steep. People who have driven there would know what I am saying. Newbies and long wheelbase car owners should avoid khada danda while going to Mcleodganj and take the longer route (just 3-4 KMs longer I guess).

Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 days-kd1.jpg

Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 days-kd2.jpg

Crusoe climbs new heights – Kalatop, Khajjiar, Mcleodganj and Dharmshala in 4 days-kd3.jpg
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 19:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi Biraj,

I will be leaving for a trip to Palampur/ Dharamshala and Dalhousie early tomorrow moring. How far is Sach Pass from Dalhousie and how much time does it take?
Old 18th May 2013, 19:57   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow awesome. What else do one need to enjoy life? A Himalayan drive + a Fiat! A deadly combo! Loved your pictures too.

Last edited by Samba : 18th May 2013 at 19:58.
Old 19th May 2013, 12:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Hi Biraj,

I will be leaving for a trip to Palampur/ Dharamshala and Dalhousie early tomorrow moring. How far is Sach Pass from Dalhousie and how much time does it take?
Hi Rajneesh,

The guys at Kalatop told me that it's about 150 KMs from Kalatop, so I would assume it to be 160-170 KMs from Dalhousie. I drove till Khajjiar and that too during monsoon. The road condition wasn't too great and I could manage an average of 30-35 KMPH on a T-jet with moderate traffic. I have heard that the condition of road near the pass isn't good. Which car are you taking? If it has decent ground clearance, you should plan for 6 hrs from Dalhousie (with small breaks after every 2 hours). There are some other members (Harsh comes to my mind) in the forum that have done Sach Pass, you might want to check with them. Please do share your experience as I plan to do Sach Pass in July. Need to keep the promise I made to Crusoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Wow awesome. What else do one need to enjoy life? A Himalayan drive + a Fiat! A deadly combo! Loved your pictures too.
Thanks Samba, Crusoe says "a trip to Ladakh"
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 20:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Biraj,

I am currenrly in Palampur and will be heading to Dalhousie on wednesday. Then depending on the condition of the road may move toward sach pass on thursday ( I read some where that it is closed at this time of the year and opens in June end/ july). I am driving an SX4 so clearance is the best you can have in any sedan.
Old 17th July 2013, 20:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Thanks Biraj,

I am currenrly in Palampur and will be heading to Dalhousie on wednesday. Then depending on the condition of the road may move toward sach pass on thursday ( I read some where that it is closed at this time of the year and opens in June end/ july). I am driving an SX4 so clearance is the best you can have in any sedan.
Hey Rajneesh, hope you had a nice trip. Did you try Sach Pass? I am thinking about a short trip to that region so, wanted to check if you would suggest taking the T-jet (170 MM GC) to Sach Pass.
Old 20th July 2013, 21:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Hey Rajneesh, hope you had a nice trip. Did you try Sach Pass? I am thinking about a short trip to that region so, wanted to check if you would suggest taking the T-jet (170 MM GC) to Sach Pass.
Biraj, I had to turn back from Satrundi. The pass was not yet open. When I visited it ( end May) the road was real bad. THe SX4 managed it due to the high clearance. I would not be as confident in the Linea. However, the road may have been repaired sice then.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:06   #41
BANNED

A very refreshing travelogue indeed crusoe
vasist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 18:51   #42
BHPian

hii Biraj ,
A well written TL with a different perspective ,could you please provide some details of the pace that you stayed during your trip.
Regards
swsumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 21:40   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
hii Biraj ,
A well written TL with a different perspective ,could you please provide some details of the pace that you stayed during your trip.
Regards
Thanks Sumit, the two places I stayed at were:

Kalatop Forest Rest House - To book a stay contact the DFO, Chamba. That place is extremely economical at Rs. 700/night. Since I went during off-season they charged me Rs 500/night. At that price point, one has to keep the expectations at check. Whatever the room lacks in luxury is made up by the beautiful view it offers outside the room. It's a serene place to stay. Food is prepared in the local canteen. We reached quite late so couldn't place any special orders. I have heard they prepare non-veg food on special order.

Vila Paradiso - Here's the link
I have been there twice and like the place. It's away from the city center and offers a peaceful stay. It's situated on the Khada Danda road, so the drive can be tricky (which is the case almost everywhere in Mcleodganj). The rooms are clean and the service is also very good. It's owned by some Royal family from Rajasthan. Food is also good but chances of someone eating at hotel is less due to the fantastic options that the town offers.
Old 31st July 2013, 16:56   #44
BHPian

Hii Biraj ,
Thank you for replying and helping me out with the details.One final small query , do you have any idea how can i contact the DFO Chamba from Mumbai.I mean do you have any contact number out there.
Regards
Old 31st July 2013, 17:07   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Hii Biraj ,
Thank you for replying and helping me out with the details.One final small query , do you have any idea how can i contact the DFO Chamba from Mumbai.I mean do you have any contact number out there.
Regards
Hey Sumit, you can try 01899-222639. You might have to try that number couple of times as they aren't known to be very prompt with answering the phone. When are you planning the trip? I called them yesterday and the person on the phone said that they are expecting some VIPs around 15th August so, he couldn't offer the cottage for 4 nights. Luckily, I got the bookings confirmed for 2 cottages for 3 nights. I am going back to the same place with Crusoe. The only change is that this time it will be the entire family (mom, dad, and sis).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks