Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2012, 20:46   #31
BHPian

Re: A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai

Wow!! Lovely triplog there ninja.
Awesome photos and very beautiful narration.

Despite being from a hilly place I really loved the beauty of the route through your pictures. Man those highways look delicious. I wish Himachal gets similar roads.

Thanks for sharing..
Old 1st August 2012, 21:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
lol. Possibly quite true. But then if I start using it in that manner, I'd rather call it an "Look-out-for-me" indicator than a hazard (light). However, I come from that belief of using them only when it is utmost necessary or actually when my car is a serious hazard for others. Not every time I pass through a tunnel, not every time I stop aside the road. Unfortunately, (in my opinion) the probabilities (of getting hit from back) go very high during the night, and hence the usage.
Ok, I pressed thank when trying to quote, anyway. When you are stopped on a highway, or you are going slower, or if your brake is broken, you ARE a hazard to others. That's the whole point. Passing thru a tunnel is not a hazard to others.

And yes, a hazard does require "watch out for me"
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:27   #33
BHPian

Beautiful travelogue, ninjatalli! Inspiring to say the least! Loved every bit of it! And getting all nostalgic about driving down Amboli ghat! Drove down last year in August at the peak of the monsoons. It was beautiful but with patches of the road damaged by the landslide. And I think the idea of driving down via Sankeshwar is good. The Nippani-Uttur stretch was pretty bad last time, so I guess I'll be trying out either Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj OR Belgaum-Amboli (Bauxite Road). Will be driving down to Goa from Mumbai after August 15th. Hope to take a few nice pics and post my own travelogue!
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:28   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Wow!! Lovely triplog there ninja.
Awesome photos and very beautiful narration.

Despite being from a hilly place I really loved the beauty of the route through your pictures. Man those highways look delicious. I wish Himachal gets similar roads.

Thanks for sharing..
Thank you. Someday I'll visit your section of the country - I'm pretty sure that has its own set of pleasures. That is one part of the country that I am yet to drive in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
Beautiful travelogue, ninjatalli! Inspiring to say the least! Loved every bit of it! And getting all nostalgic about driving down Amboli ghat! Drove down last year in August at the peak of the monsoons. It was beautiful but with patches of the road damaged by the landslide. And I think the idea of driving down via Sankeshwar is good. The Nippani-Uttur stretch was pretty bad last time, so I guess I'll be trying out either Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj OR Belgaum-Amboli (Bauxite Road). Will be driving down to Goa from Mumbai after August 15th. Hope to take a few nice pics and post my own travelogue!
Thank you. I was spared (unfortunately) rain in Goa, probably you'll be seeing a lot of it in August, considering the delayed rains have reached most parts of Konkan now. And yes, I believe the Sankeshwar route should be in a better condition, considering it passes through a few towns. Do put up your TL when your trip's done!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:28   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Phase 4 : Chennai - Bangalore

Prior to this trip, I had a lot on the wish-list, a good number of them pertaining to places I'd want to drive to, which are still pending and will be fulfilled over the coming days. But some of the other requirements had to do on other aspects, some of which I had listed in the first post of this thread. A few which got completed on the Pune - Chennai part.
  • Travel via interior routes, not taking the NH/GQ routes
  • Test myself on a long drive, all alone
  • Drive at night, preferably on routes that test my driving capabilities

Having done all that, I was sure to keep the return trip straight, and as fast as possible. Also on the return trip, my mother was going to accompany me. Earlier her plans of taking the flight/train were shelved as I explained the beauty of the drive and the comfort levels of the car - and thus she agreed to accompany me on the drive.

So the route now looked quite simple :
Part A - Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Bangalore (Halt for the night)
Part B - (Leave early) Bangalore - Tumkur - Hubli - Kolhapur - Pune

We left from Chennai around 1 pm after a heavy lunch, and within an hour, we were on NH48 heading towards Vellore. The traffic was meager and I could easily maintain 3 digit figures. In stark comparison to my earlier drive on this route, there was absolutely no rain; the dark clouds were consistently around all along the drive, but hardly any rains.

We passed Vellore around 3.30 and shortly after that we decided to take a halt for a cup of coffee at the first petrol pump that had a decent restaurant.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4817.jpg

The pump housed a Cafe Coffee Day and a restaurant, "Arybhavans Sweet Center".

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4816.jpg

When in Rome, do like the Romans. And we opted for filter coffee over the former. And as it turned out, it was not that great a decision.

Pros: Clean toilets, quick service, decent food options
Cons: Coffee not great (too sweet as per my mom)

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4815.jpg

Even though it was close to 4, I saw a few families ordering meals at such an hour, and the restaurant was offering the same. Good from a travelers's perspective.

And we continued on the route, making good distance in decent time. The road was in excellent condition all till Krishnagiri, even though there were certain sections where 6-laning was in progress. The first signs of traffic was noticed at Krishnagiri when the road joined with NH7. This continued on into Hosur till we reached the elevated expressway, which I happily opted for.

This was the first time I was passing by Electronics city (EC), after 7 years! Last time I had been through this route, travel time from EC to BTM Layout used to take anything from 40 minutes to 3 hours, depending on the traffic at the numerous junctions that come up on the way. However it takes us just over 10 minutes to reach HSR which was the stopping point for that day. I was half-expecting to be stopped by one of the police check-posts for sun-film on my car, however nothing of that sort happened and by 6 I was at my friend's place.

Funny aspect - the moment it gets dark, my mom remarks that she should have got her sweater - clearly a Chennai-ite is going to find Bangalore weather cold for sure!
Old 8th August 2012, 19:58   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Phase 5 : Bangalore - Pune

Day 5

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-route.jpg

Distance : 883 kms
Time Taken : 12 hours

The plan was to leave Bangalore as early as possible. And when you have your mom with you on the trip, early literally means early. So we get up at 4 a.m, probably the only other people awake at this time are the building watchmen. But I was so wrong! My hosts for the night, Arnab & Ujwala are already up and they make us coffee and toast and see us off for the journey! At that moment I was literally , but in retrospect I am so indebted to them - we could drive non-stop for the next 4 hours without any food stop! Thanks guys!

After that early morning snack, we get on with the journey. It had rained the last night, giving a well-needed wash to the car. She was nestled in a corner, all ready for the final stage of the drive.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4828.jpg

It was still some time for sunrise, however the building lights provided a nice post-card picture setup - I couldn't resist snapping a picture of the same.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4830.jpg

Within minutes we were on the highway towards Hosur. As I had to catch the Nice Ring road, I didn't opt for the elevated highway.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4832.jpg

We soon get on to the ring road, however I get a shocker looking at the rates - 140Rs for a distance of just over 40 kms! I pay almost the same amount for a trip of 150 kms on the Bombay - Pune expressway, that too through the western ghats! I wonder how Bangaloreans agreed for such a steep rate.

However it is what I had planned and so I continue ahead. The highway is literally empty except for a few trucks that trudge along, and I nearly do the distance in 20 odd minutes. Just near the Neelamangala exit, I stop over as the sun rises and take a few snaps.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4837.jpg

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4838.jpg

As per the original plan I had intended to stop-over at Kamat hotel at Dobbspot, however the early snack makes sure that we continue ahead for atleast another few hours. It keeps raining in short durations as we pass by one town after another, the weather is so pleasant, it almost makes me wish I could keep on driving for a few more days. At one of the toll gates just before Chitradurga, we stopover for a cup of coffee which gives me another opportunity to get the camera out.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4847.jpg

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4846.jpg

The last time I had washed the car was back in Hoskote, 3 days back, and a good 900 kms before. However a few intermittent showers over the night and the morning ensures that the car is as clean as she can get!

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4845.jpg

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4848.jpg

We continue ahead for another two odd hours when finally the hunger pangs start to appear. I almost decide to enter Davanagere for a breakfast halt, however the knowledge that a Kamat would be coming up shortly near Ranebennur makes me continue ahead.

Finally around 9, a good 4 hours after our early start, finally the sign comes up that I was looking for since the last odd hour! And we finally halt for a much needed breakfast.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4855.jpg
Old 9th August 2012, 03:02   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I wasn't sure if it was due to the fact that we were traveling on a weekday (Monday) or because it was too early for the general crowd, but the restaurant was almost empty. In stark contrast to the discussions on this forum with regards to the popularity of Kamat restaurants, this one hardly had any crowd.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4854.jpg

In fact even the waiters weren't really interested in getting on to the work, these two buggers kinda looked at us with a disdainful look, probably wondering why were we "spoiling" their lazy Monday morning!

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4852.jpg

However we were hungry, and that was all it mattered. A few plates of fresh idli-wada and two rounds of steaming filter coffee, and then only we were satisfied. The sambar could have been a bit more better, and the coffee a tad stronger, but who cares when one is hungry!

Pros: Cheap, clean restaurant, decent food, moderately clean toilets
Cons: Service wasn't that great, only good for snack/breakfast options (IMO)

Outside the weather had taken another turn for the better. When we had entered the restaurant, it looked as if it was going to be a sunny day, however now it seemed we were in for a good shower.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4856.jpg
Rain clouds approaching us from Bangalore

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4857.jpg
and rain clouds on the way towards Pune!

And right on cue, within minutes of us moving out, it starts pouring. I couldn't have asked for a better setup : empty highways, excellent roads, and beautiful landscape made even more better with the occasional shower. The only downside - I can take pictures only when the rain gods take a break! And which they thankfully do once in a while.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4861.jpg

As I start heading west, a familiar sight greets me, one that is seen all over Maharashtra - windmills. However these appear only for a short duration and as per what I read recently online, they aren't really popular with the general public. There seem to be a lot of environmental based & local issues with these windmill setups, in additional to a lot of operational issues faced by the units who own these mills.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4849.jpg

But right at that moment, the only thought that occurs to me is the grim reality of the trip coming to it's final stage - a few hours and some 400 odd kms stood between me and the final destination. Clearly not something I was looking forward to.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 9th August 2012 at 03:03.
Old 9th August 2012, 08:13   #38
BHPian

Great write up and beautiful pics I am planning my trip from delhi - Bombay - Goa - Bangalore starting tonight. On our return from bangalore, i am contemplating a stay near pune. Any suggestion?
Old 9th August 2012, 13:26   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I am planning my trip from delhi - Bombay - Goa - Bangalore starting tonight. On our return from bangalore, i am contemplating a stay near pune. Any suggestion?
All the best for a wonderful drive. Which route will you take to Bombay? The Jaipur-Ajmer-Udaipur-Mt.Abu-Ahmedabad-Vadodara route? And is it really necessary to touch Goa, or is it part of your itinerary, and for sightseeing?

And are your stop-overs planned?

Vipin.
Old 9th August 2012, 13:39   #40
BHPian

Re: Phase 1 : Pune - Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
we reach Sawantwadi around 2; and by now the hunger pangs have alread begun. Thankfully the drive to Candolim takes us only an additional hour and we reach the hotel by 3
It is a wonderful trip and report! Excellent photos, and the Vento looks good.

How long did you get the four-lane highway from Pune? It looks that for a long-time till you reach Sawantwadi, you had the broader highway. Was that the same as Pune-Bangalore highway?

Vipin.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:11   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Phase 1 : Pune - Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Great write up and beautiful pics I am planning my trip from delhi - Bombay - Goa - Bangalore starting tonight. On our return from bangalore, i am contemplating a stay near pune. Any suggestion?
Thanks.

Honestly I'd suggest you to stay on the highway, and not enter Pune city unless you have other plans/friends to meet-up.

On the outright, the Ginger hotel right on the highway comes to mind as a VFM option. Apart from that there are a few hotels on Balewadi (Baner) exactly adjacent to the Bangalore - Mumbai highway - you could stop-over and negotiate a good rate on the spot. I can't recollect the names exactly as of now, the only one that comes to my mind is Sadanand Regency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
It is a wonderful trip and report! Excellent photos, and the Vento looks good.

How long did you get the four-lane highway from Pune? It looks that for a long-time till you reach Sawantwadi, you had the broader highway. Was that the same as Pune-Bangalore highway?

Vipin.
Thanks.

The four (/six) lane highway was all there till Sankeshwar, when I took the detour on to the state highway to head to Sawantwadi. And yes, this is the Pune-Bangalore highway I'm referring to.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 9th August 2012 at 14:18.
Old 9th August 2012, 16:25   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
All the best for a wonderful drive. Which route will you take to Bombay? The Jaipur-Ajmer-Udaipur-Mt.Abu-Ahmedabad-Vadodara route? And is it really necessary to touch Goa, or is it part of your itinerary, and for sightseeing?

And are your stop-overs planned?

Vipin.
I am taking delhi - Jaipur - Kishangarh - Udaipur - Ahmedabad - Mumbai (not going through mount Abu). Goa was always the plan

Stopver in mumbai, goa and bagalore
Old 10th August 2012, 02:00   #43
BHPian

@ninjatalli
Lovely log was a pleasure going through it.

@abbey4u
Hotel Ginger is good
A better option is hotel Sadanand they are quite flexible on the rates and the rooms are bigger.
Both are along the highway/bypass.
Old 10th August 2012, 13:05   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

^^@Off Roadie, thanks for following the thread devotedly!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The threads on this forum talked about the roads between Hubli, Dharwad and Belgaum being 2-lane roads with slow progress, and probably the only area on the Bangalore - Pune highway where the km/hr goes down.

But what they don't tell you that this is a two lane highway going through some really beautiful scenery, the red soil of Karnataka amidst the greenery and curvy routes really take your mind off the road and into another dimension.

If reduced speeds is the price to pay to pass through such beautiful routes, then I am sure a sucker for this! I am so lost in that stretch that I almost forget to take pictures of the surroundings.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-1.jpg

Soon once we bypass the bustling city of Belgaum, one that is frequented (hometown) by some of my good friends. Funny aspect - one of them is a Kannadiga and the other Marathi, and yet both have individually admitted that they don't feel if they belong to the city completely. Apparently Belgaum has the history of belonging both to Karnataka & Maharashtra, and the city has a good share of both cultures and communities, and the occasional (but repeated) political rallies by parties belonging to both sects.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-2.jpg

A short distance ahead I see a signpost stating the distance to Pune is only another 300 odd kilometers, and we decide to have an early lunch break, as then I could cover the final stretch non-stop. Fortunately another Kamat (probably the last one on this route) comes up and we make a detour.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-3.jpg

I had mentioned how the Kamat at Ranebennur seemed devoid of any crowd. Well this one was stark empty! We cautiously enter the parking bay and ask the sole guy outside - he says it's open!

However the manager is less enthusiastic and gives us only two options - Idli/Wada Sambhar or Puri Bhaji, nothing else. We opt for the former and quickly finish up our meal.

Moving ahead, we pass through some lovely stretch, and for the first time, my mom suggests me to stop-over. When we were passing by Belgaum (& while at Kamat), the sun was out and it was actually hot outside. However by now the clouds had made a re-entry and there was the possibility of rain.

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-4.jpg

I was all game - I stop at a lovely elevated turn and hop out with the 70-300mm lens, using it for the first time on today's drive. And within seconds I start clicking away!

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-5.jpg

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-6.jpg

Finally my mom gets the idea that I might actually never come back to the car unless she intervenes! So with a drudgery look, like a kid who's candy has been snatched from his hands , I get back on the road!

Now around the time we passed Belgaum, the DTE indicator came up, indicating there was fuel only for an estimated distance of 70 odd kilometers. Although it wouldn't have made that much difference, but I mentally decided to fill up in MH.

Problem? The border was a good 80 odd kms away! On a serious note, I had already validated in the past that this amount can easily take me over 80 kms, however I didn't reveal that part of information to my mother. But I did inform her about the "reserve" amount left!

Result? Every petrol pump that we passed by, even the early lunch session, and including the photo session, my mom would start pestering/pleading with me.

Finally we reached the border passing into Kagal town, and we drove into the first petrol pump that came up. The DTE still showed a figure of 10kms, even after traveling around 80 odd kms since the fuel indicator came up.

I checked the tires for any low air pressure, all 4 seemed good enough, and we moved on. To my surprise, as if a tap was opened, once we passed the border, suddenly the amount of traffic just went up! Initially I thought this was due to the nearby presence of Kolhapur town, however it just worsened after we moved away from the city.

Soon we came to the toll gate of Tasawade, the first of the two toll gates that had a non-zero toll. I had collected over 20Rs in coins expecting these tolls in advance over the week. But I was in for a bit of surprise!

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-7.jpg

The same toll had a fare of 58 Rs on the way back, and now the rate had gone up by 4Rs to 62! Even the board seemed freshly painted. I queried the same to the attendant, however I did not get any response.

Similar was the case at the next toll which also had hiked the fare from 58 to 62Rs. However none of the other tolls all over the route had any change in their fares. I wonder if there is any means of checking this up - the tokens clearly mentioned the new amount.

The rest of the drive went past in a zip - I hardly have any re-collections of same. And we finally reached Pune exactly at 5, a good 12 hours after we started out from Bangalore.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 15:03   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Epilogue

The trip has been completed. All 2995 kms of it. Even though I have done a longer trip a year back, this one felt special. Maybe because I was only the sole driver. Maybe it was due to the wonderful route that touched rural regions and not just the highways. Maybe it was because I had to struggle more, face more hurdles and in the end I overcame them. Or maybe it was simply just the awesome weather.

I have a lot of people to thank for this trip - Anoop, Rohan and a few others for their valuable suggestions in getting the car ready, @Ampere & others for their inputs on the route, my friends Amitava, Deka, Ujwala for being the perfect hosts, and Nilesh for (atleast theoretically) agreeing to meet-up!

When we completed the Delhi trip last year, we were happy we had completed it successfully. There was no remorse, no longing for the road. But this time I felt sad. Already within a few hours of us arriving at home, I start feeling restless. I wanted to go ahead. And I start making plans for new trips. When, I don't know. Heck, I don't even have the leaves available, forget asking for approvals at office.

Magar jana toh hai, boss!

Technically South, North, West are done. So East makes sense, no?

So where? is so-so decided. The only question is when!

------------------------------------------ x ------------------------------------------ x ------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading people! Let me just end this TL with this beautiful picture and the perfect quote that sums up the key aspect of this TL!

A Trip Down South : Pune - Goa - Bangalore - Chennai-img_4565.jpg

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

- The Hobbit

Last edited by ninjatalli : 10th August 2012 at 15:12.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks