Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2016, 12:44   #196
BHPian

Re: Off next week for some tiger shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

Satpura. Shot while canoeing. Can someone identify the bird?
Attachment 1430405
Hi Nilanjan - This bird most likely is Stone Plover

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 16:30   #197
Senior - BHPian

Re: Off next week for some tiger shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
@Nilanjan Hi!! Have been vicariously living your exploits both with the bison and the lens, for sometime now-amazing, awesome stuff to say the least! Hope to see you soon on any of the weekend TBhp events out of Bangalore

PS: have added you as a buddy & don't have the privilege to PM yet, thus the intrusion here.
Thanks thorque, glad that you liked them. I read somewhere that you have a Fortuner. Welcome to the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hi Nilanjan - This bird most likely is Stone Plover

Cheers
Thanks Rajain.
Old 27th June 2016, 20:50   #198
Senior - BHPian

Masinagudi, swallows

A few photos of red-rumped swallows. Had gone to Masinagudi, didn't have any interesting encounters with mammals, so stalked these swallows for a while. Stalked, as in literally stalked on foot (using bushes as cover, moving in slow motion), to get close enough while making sure that they were not uncomfortable with my presence.

These mouth to mouth encounters would last for a tenth of a second. The juvenile would be hopping or flying around, and then come and rest for a few moments. Sometimes the parent would come down to feed it. The parent's landing + feeding + taking off would last for 1-2 seconds in total.

My back and arms were stiff after handholding the 3+ kg gear for a few hours. For each such 'interesting moment' shot, I waited for many minutes while pointing (handheld, I was half hidden by a bush) at the probable direction of action. If I ever take up birding I will opt for a monopod or gimbal head setup.

And then I had to drive back to Bangalore the same afternoon. My poor back got no rest.

My older dog (the one in my avatar) passed away, and the younger one was miserable. This trip was undertaken partly to cheer him up. He had a great time with deers, birds, monkeys and rabbits. He was always kept on a leash, but he freaked out (in a nice manner) smelling suck interesting scents, and seeing/sensing these wild creatures.

Weather was really nice. There was a stiff breeze, and it was cloudy throughout the day. Pleasantly cool in the night.

Feeding
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_1555.jpg

Turn right here
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_2395_small.jpg

Got food for you
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_1910_small.jpg

Hello!
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_2398s.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 27th June 2016 at 20:51.
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 19:42   #199
BHPian

Re: Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors

Hi Nilanjan,sorry to hear about your dog,handsome lookin fella that,hope the other guy isn't moping any more.

Its been over a month since you've enthralled us, what gives?

Spent last Thursday to Sunday in Wayanad & Nagarhole with nothing to show, for the rains(core zone safaris disallowed) and lack of equipment(except for a flimsy phone ). Meandering along the forest roads like a love-lorn troubadour seeking his ever elusive, rain-soaked muse.

Put some candy on the table, pronto!

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 17th July 2016 at 11:34. Reason: More than two smileys are not permitted per post.
Old 14th September 2016, 04:34   #200
BHPian

Quote:

A trip to the Nilgiris should be happening soon. It has been a while since I fraternized with elephants. Some photos from my pre-DSLR days...all photos taken in the Sigur Plateau region.

Yes, this is a wild male tusker. Don't ask how close I was to him (momentary lapse of reason)

This fella is pretty big. I have had some interesting encounters with him while driving around in the night.
Attachment 948038

If you look closely, you will see some Gaurs too...
Attachment 948039
Guess this elephant is Revaldo or Ronaldo ?. I guess it was shot form Mark Davidar's house. Right ?
Old 20th August 2022, 10:44   #201
BHPian

Quote:
This is the route I took while going back (well, actually I traveled from Point B to A). Shortest for me. The small blue waterbody near point B is the lake. There is an arch on the left (when you come from the North) and a spiky barrier that marks the start of the trail to the lake.

You might want to decide what route works for you e.g. one through Bannerghata. There is also a thread on TBHP meet at this lake - search for Thattekere - that thread has a few route options.

Attachment 933299

Thanks Raghu. Will try out that place, It could be a wee but warm right now, but I guess animal sightings would be good as well. Any idea what is the best procedure for booking? Anyway, will Google and figure out how to go about it.

Be careful about swimming in the lake. It has crocodiles in it
https://officialpeopleofindia.wordpr...t-my-left-arm/
Old 31st August 2022, 08:06   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Be careful about swimming in the lake. It has crocodiles in it
https://officialpeopleofindia.wordpr...t-my-left-arm/
The lake is out of bounds to the public. The forest officials dont let you get anywhere near the lake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks