Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 11:49   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Swimming with the fishes - Scuba Diving

Quote:
[*]One needs to get used to breathing through the mouth, if you breathe through the nose, the class fogs up, if you breathe out with force air lock can give and water can enter!! A scary experience if you're under.
Totally! The fact that you could breathe thru' the mouth so comfortably was pleasantly surprising!

At least in my mask, the nose was tightly blocked; the moment I tried to breathe in thru' the nose, it locked up.

But yes, I get the point. There was a simple exercise : make your head horizontal, press the area between the 2 eye-pieces on the eye gear and breathe out thru' the nose to clear up.
Quote:
[*]The air in the tank is DRY, many people find it difficult to get used to, also need to hydrate well after the dive.
Yes, important point. My throat had run dry by the end of 30mins.
Old 29th March 2012, 20:38   #17
BHPian

Dive Goa: Scuba Diving and PADI Courses in Goa, India is also another option.
sschivate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 23:06   #18
BHPian

Just Superb!

I would be riding to Mangalore this May.I would love to try this. Its a complete different experience.
But when i had been to Murudeshwar last year, i couldnt see anything related SCUBA diving..But now i know!
Old 30th March 2012, 11:42   #19
BHPian

Thanks for the pics and detailed info mate! This brings scuba diving a lot closer than I expected and a boon for non-swimmers, but sea lovers, like me.
Old 31st March 2012, 01:29   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheekkunder View Post
Just Superb!

I would be riding to Mangalore this May.I would love to try this. Its a complete different experience.
But when i had been to Murudeshwar last year, i couldnt see anything related SCUBA diving..But now i know!
The office of Dreamz Diving is located at the rear side of RNS Residency. The Scuba Diving per se is carried out 20 nautical miles off the coast.

The divers take a boat to get to the diving site from the beach on the left of the temple; all the holidayers crowd up on the right side.

Hence, no one really finds out! Admittedly, Dreamz Diving is not doing that good job of publicizing. But, given the size limitation, guess they are taking it slow. Their FB page indicates that they are going into the ocean pretty regularly.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 10:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Note :

Whoever I mentioned scuba diving to invariably mentioned how they want to do it at Lakshadweep (clear water blah blah). Please note that at Lakshadweep, you CANNOT do scuba diving unless you have a diving license - which itself takes at least a 3 day course. All you can do is snorkeling.

Please research before you head off somewhere.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:49   #22
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic pictures of the underwater world mate. It looks surreal to say the least. I'm sure you had a blast doing this dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Note :

Whoever I mentioned scuba diving to invariably mentioned how they want to do it at Lakshadweep (clear water blah blah). Please note that at Lakshadweep, you CANNOT do scuba diving unless you have a diving license - which itself takes at least a 3 day course. All you can do is snorkeling.

Please research before you head off somewhere.
Hey libran, not sure if I got your post right (in case you mean independently diving without going through any schools), But it is actually possible to do Scuba diving at Lakshadweep, and there is no need for any license for casual divers wanting to learn diving. I have myself done a scuba dive there last year, and can vouch for the beauty of the pristine waters there. My full report is in this travelogue.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ns-corals.html

At Kadmat, Lacadives does a programme called 'Discover Scuba diving' for around 3k per head. That includes a short training + practice session with the equipment, followed by a 1 hour long dive (assisted by the instructor) in the coral waters, totally takes up around half a day. This is what even I have done. Lacadives is a private diving school though. You can check this site for their full list of courses. The basic courses don't need any license or prerequisites.

Lacadives: The Pioneers of Diving in India Since 1995

AFAIK, Kavaratti also has a dive centre called 'Dolphin dive Centre' which is run by SPORTS, the administration of Lakshadweep tourism (govt. run).

Last edited by KarthikK : 2nd April 2012 at 11:57.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:02   #23
Team-BHP Support

My sincere apologies. The pricing information I gave was wrong, I was quoting the white water rafting prices. My wife remembered correct price. I paid about 6.5K per head since I went through Turtle bay.
Old 5th April 2012, 14:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Some really funny anecdotes :

-...The sign for going up (when there's a problem) is thumbs-up. Now, in day-to-day life, we use thumbs up to denote all well. My friend got amazingly confused each time his instructor asked him if everything was fine under water. He used to show him the thumbs-up sign, then within a few seconds cross his hands as if to cancel the earlier sign and then show the all ok sign!
Haha! I think almost all of us who've gone diving for the first time commit this mistake! In fact, I was snorkelling on the surface when I gave the "ascend" thumbs-up to Mr. Rawat who was about 20ft below me hahaha!
Old 5th April 2012, 15:39   #25
BHPian

Looks interesting. Do anyone knows places which organize scuba diving in the coast of Tamilnadu/Chennai
Old 6th April 2012, 10:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

To Day I found an article about scuba diving. It is in Pondicherry. Those who are interested in it please go through this article.
Attached Thumbnails
Swimming with the fishes - Scuba Diving-scuba-diving.jpg  

navan49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 01:35   #27

DIVEIndia - PADI, SSI & NAUI Scuba Diving Centre in the Andamans, India one of the best scuba diving schools in the country in the Andamans. Run very professionally. No hidden charges.
Old 8th April 2012, 03:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this log Nishad. You had an awesome experience. I'm also very much fascinated by underwater and would love to do this sometime but first I've to come out of my fear for deep water . And also the proper photographic casings for DSLR's are super costly as far as I know. And without being able to do photography I dunno how much I'll enjoy

Last edited by kaushik_s : 8th April 2012 at 04:00.
Old 8th April 2012, 12:07   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm also very much fascinated by underwater and would love to do this sometime but first I've to come out of my fear for deep water .
You'll be surprised how easy it is when you actually get to do it. A girl had sea-sickness and fear of water had a nice dive of 30mins!

Quote:
And also the proper photographic casings for DSLR's are super costly as far as I know.
You could rent an underwater camera; that's what a certified diver had done. The first time you dive, you are fascinated by the aquatic world, you prefer to look thru' your eyes rather than the lens!

Quote:
And without being able to do photography I dunno how much I'll enjoy
Well, take a dive and then we'll talk about that
Old 8th April 2012, 12:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Alright, I got it, this is where the 'posting picture to a group using WP7' is arriving from.
Wonderful writeup and trip log buddy!

Doing that certificate course would be the thing to do I guess, I think I wont be satisfied with a few of those few minutes sessions.
Thank you for sharing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks