Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 22:43   #1
BHPian

Weekend Getaway: Bangalore - Coorg

Hi All,

Did a Coorg trip this weekend and felt I’d share some pictures here. Not much to read. Just a pictorial

This time around, we decided that we won’t do the usual homestay deal. Instead the plan was to pitch camp at a guest house in central madikeri and try and cover as many of the attractions as possible. I usually prefer to laze around the homestay, eating and sleeoing. This is the best holiday to get away from the Bangalore bustle. But my wife didn’t see lazing as an acceptable form of holidaying and decided we must explore. Being a sensible guy, I knew that putting up a fight was futile. I’m sure many of you agree that sleeping out in the couch when on a holiday is not very appealing. So as any self-respecting gentleman would do, I gave in. Reluctant yes. But I gave in.

The drive was humdrum. Not much to write about. Took the Bangalore – Maddur – Hunsur – Bylakuppe – Madikeri route. The roads were fine. Nothing to complain.

Stopped at Maddur Mcdonalds on the way. Don’t know if many are aware about this, but the McDonalds just off Maddur does not have the usual menu. For one, they don’t have the McChicken Burger. That was a minor disappointment. The missus didn’t seem to care though. But I hold a grudge. So on return, we graced KFC. Again on the same road, some 2km from McD.

Let’s move on to the pics. I know Coorg has been done a million times. But there are days when I sit at work and mull over the fact that I can’t even visit the nearest retreat. At such times, I gorge on these travelogues here. Even the most boring and unassuming places are better than sitting at a cubicle staring down a computer screen.

So the following pics are dedicated to the working man. Or woman for that matter. It goes to out to every hard working soul who could not do anything this weekend worth talking about; (Going out grocery shopping is not an accepted weekend activity!) and are now dreading the fact that it’s just Monday. There’s four more days till the next weekend. And who knows what the wife will need then! Perhaps she’s decided that Commercial Street needs a good looking over.

The sad sad life of man.. But I digress..

Onto the pics then.

The Steed:
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02188a.jpg

Some shots along the way:
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02200.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02201.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02204.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02206.jpg

The Guest House at Madikeri. Very Clean, Very Reasonable, Very Boring! Stay here only if you plan on sigh seeing a lot and will return only to sleep. But the hosts are very kind.

Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02208.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02207.jpg

First tourist attraction we went to. The Raja's Seat. Raja's Seat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really don't know what the fuss is about this place. Its a good view I guess. Sorta like Nandi Hills.

Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02215.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02216.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02217.jpg

My PnS cam could not get a good shot of the view. Sorry about that. As a rule, I never carry my SLR on a trip unless its a photography trip. It just gets in the way when I'm trying to have fun. This is all I could manage:

Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02228.jpg

They have a step like structure where you can sit. To take in the view or to have someone click pictures of you and family. Whatever floats your boat.

Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02220.jpg

Just Outside. There is this toy train you can take a ride in. Its the best way to waste 10 rupees. The ride lasted an exhilarating 1 min. I am being sarcastic here - In case somebody takes my word and really falls for it. I don't want to make any new enemies. lol..

Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02213.jpg

Next up was Dubare. Dubare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Sadly I didn't click any pics! Sorry!

It was fun. If you're into elephants and stuff.

Afterwards we stopped at Nisargadhama. Nisargadhama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I only have three boring shots for Nisargadhama because my wife is in all of the rest. She seems to be enjoying the trip and that bodes well for me. I can safely say that this is a good place to visit. Comparatively ie.

Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02250.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02258.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02259.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02262.jpg

Next up in line is the Namdroling Monsatery at Bylakuppe. I love this place! The serenity of the place is only broken by the bustling industry outside. But the monastery is peaceful and calming. A must see feature if you're passing this way.

This is the view as you're approaching:

Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02270.jpg

Till you reach the gate:

Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02272.jpg

The inside:

Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02273.jpg

Knick Knacks at the stores at the gate:

Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02274.jpg

The Monastery:

Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02275.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02276.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02277.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02280.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02283.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02284.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02287.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02288.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02290.jpg
Tassem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 23:23   #2
BHPian

More pics of the Monastery

My favorite pic of the day:
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02291.jpg

More shots:
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02292.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02294.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02296.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02297.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02299.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02301.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02302.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02303.jpg

The following are shots of a Scale Model Monastery in Tibet. I think it was Tibet

Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02315.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02317.jpg
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-dsc02319.jpg

In Warner Bros fashion - That's all folks!
Tassem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 12:17   #3
BHPian

Re: Weekend Getaway: Bangalore - Coorg

Hey Tassem, we too did a Madikeri trip this past weekend (18th-20th Feb). Moreover, we stayed right next door in Madikeri, at the Hill Town Hotel. I didn't notice your Fluidic, though the grey Chevy Spark in pic 7 was right under our first-floor window.
This was our steed - a Blue Vista.

(And Taseem, good photography skills mate! )
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend Getaway:  Bangalore - Coorg-img00191201202201205.jpg  

Old 21st February 2012, 21:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
Hey Tassem, we too did a Madikeri trip this past weekend (18th-20th Feb). Moreover, we stayed right next door in Madikeri, at the Hill Town Hotel. I didn't notice your Fluidic, though the grey Chevy Spark in pic 7 was right under our first-floor window.
Hey that's quite the coincidence. I don't remember seeing your car though. I'm guessing you parked at the area opposite Hill Town? I had popped over for lunch on saturday. I ate at three places in Madikeri. One was Hill Town, another was this small restaurant called Choice just up the road and then another one at the Bus Stand. Forgot the name. The one in the bus stand was the best.

Put up a post about ur trip as well. Where all did you guys go?
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Miel,

I am going to stay in Family Deluxe room in Hilltown next week. I booked it based on reviews. How is it? Any tips are appreciated. I booked it as my intention is sightseeing.
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I booked it as my intention is sightseeing.
That, my dear Patience, seems to be the intention of every Bhp-ian who stays at that hotel . For that intention, it is an ideal choice.
Another Bhp-ian, HKP, also stayed at Hill Town Hotel, Madikeri. I read his travelogue thread, in which he particularly mentions the hotel in the following post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2643180

The hotel is by far the best economical option for those who don't plan to spend the day within its walls. We took a non-AC Standard Double Room (I don't think they have AC rooms).

The rooms are clean and the bath comes with the "disinfected" band on the toilet cover. Though there are a few noticeable stains due to luggage/people movement against the walls, it is not yet an eye sore. The rooms come with TV and Telephone, but our telephone was of a cheap Chinese make and was long dead. So we just rang the room-service bell when required. The best feature is the 24hrs hot water supply. The staff is helpful and non-intrusive. They also have a dedicated parking area.

The hotel's restaurant serves good food, but is not a gourmet's delight. Nevertheless, we had breakfast and dinner twice from the restaurant itself.
If your looking for non-veg local Coorg food, you can try 'Coorg Cuisine' which is on the steep curve near the India Post office. Note that at dinner time they have no service, but only take-away.
Miel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 10:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
If your looking for non-veg local Coorg food, you can try 'Coorg Cuisine' which is on the steep curve near the India Post office. Note that at dinner time they have no service, but only take-away.
+1 to Coorg Cuisine.
We have tried various options in our coorg stay for food, and definitely it was the best. If you do care more about the food and not the ambiance (not bad, just small space with nondescript chair tables) - this is the place for you.
You may find its mention in my travelogue (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ay-2008-a.html) as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks