Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 11:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Malnad Musings - a Monsoon drive to Balur Estate, Mudigere.

Wow, Looks like another awesome getaway!
The super fresh green surroundings, the majestic interiors of the bungalow, the yummy food, slurp

Was curious to know some details about the welcome drink.
Didn't you have lunch at horanadu temple? I just love that, one of the best!
figo_united is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 11:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hari,

Congrats on becoming dad!!

Nice to read a short and sweet TL. Happy to know you enjoyed malenaadu and male (rain) BTW, Balur estate was featured in Outlook traveller issue of May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
As usual very well written with good pictures. What was to cost of accommodation?
Raj,

You can check it in their website www.lingerleisure.com
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 13:29   #18

Hari,
Well put up log. Balur estate seems to be a decent weekend getaway for people in and around Bengaluru.

Many congrats for a blessed parenthood. Enjoy the changes in your life coming ahead.
Old 19th July 2011, 16:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Good review of Balur estate!
The alternative route you took on your way back from Mudigere to Balur - is it difficult for newbies to find - what should one be looking for to find that road?
Old 19th July 2011, 19:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hari,
Super travelogue and fantastic pics.
Hope the kid din't have any issues getting adjusted to the Malenaadu.
You just went through my village
Thanks Sushrutha, apparently my daughter loved the weather as she created absolutely no fuss. Gendahalli is your hometown? Nice to know it.

Quote:
Was curious to know some details about the welcome drink.
Didn't you have lunch at horanadu temple? I just love that, one of the best!
Figo_United, the welcome drink is unlimited, you can ask for as many bottles as you want, you get a different kind of intoxication from it.
We did not have lunch at Horanadu even though we knew it is awesome as we had the baby to be carried around and the rain Gods seemed to be waiting for us to get back in the car.

Quote:
Congrats on becoming dad!!
Thank you Fauji.

Quote:
Well put up log. Balur estate seems to be a decent weekend getaway for people in and around Bengaluru. Many congrats for a blessed parenthood. Enjoy the changes in your life coming ahead.
Thanks for your kind wishes brake_all, nice handle, do you have ABS?

Quote:
The alternative route you took on your way back from Mudigere to Balur - is it difficult for newbies to find - what should one be looking for to find that road?
Kumar, the landmark you look for is at Belur after you cross the circle indicating a left turn to the temple, a little ahead you come to a fork, keep left and don't take the road showing Mudigere, best is to ask people for Gendahalli.

On the way back, at Mudigere, take a semi right u-turn at the Bharat Petroleum pump, there is a circle with an auto stand there.
Old 20th July 2011, 00:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

@lukeskywalker, congrats on fatherhood, and that's a pretty adventurous trip to do with your infant baby.

Kudremukh area hardly has any nice places to stay closeby. So, thanks for this review of Balur estate - i came across info on this place a few months back, and this tells me that its a good place to try :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Kumar, the landmark you look for is at Belur after you cross the circle indicating a left turn to the temple, a little ahead you come to a fork, keep left and don't take the road showing Mudigere, best is to ask people for Gendahalli.
On the road out from Belur, one has to drive about 12-13 km past Belur temple cross, you come to this Y where going right takes you to Mudiegere village. Going left is the right direction towards Kalasa and Kudremukh through Kottighera. There are tourist mark boards which show that dir to Kudremukh, Hornadu to the left.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 12:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Balur Estate is a heritage property set amidst 400 acres of the earliest coffee plantations in the country. The 400 acre estate is lovely for walks, treks to distant peaks and generally hang around doing nothing amidst all the greenery.
Lovely pictures lukeskywalker. And congratulations on become a father. I guess your daughter enjoyed the trip too. I always say monsoon is the best time to Malenadu in all it's glory and I'm glad you could make the trip in the monsoon.

Balur estate is one of the oldest estates in the region and it is a lovely place

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I presume you meant Mudigere to Belur. To get on to this road while coming from Kottigehara, you need to go into Mudigere town. Just look for the Mudigere bus stand. The bus stand is located at a big junction. Take the road opposite to the bus stand. It is sort of a right U turn from the road you came (as Luke has mentioned).

There are no signboards anywhere showing directions to Belur in Mudigere. After Mudigere you will find milestones and direction boards showing distance and directions to Belur , but they are in Kannada.

Quote:
Gendahalli is your hometown? Nice to know it.
His hometown is a place called Nandipura. A couple of kms from Gendehalli. You would have passed through this place.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Being the father of your first child is no easy job,
Congratulations on the kid, your trip details are awesome. Many thanks for sharing these details, would keep this in my mind.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hari nice pics and writeup! infact your log has encouraged me to do a short trip with the little one
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 19:13   #25
BHPian

Congratulations. Beautiful pictures
B.R.S.Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 19:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi Hari - Heartiest congratulations first up. Lovely trip and it appears that the family and the black storm had a gala time. Trust your baby and your wife were comfortable throughout the trip.

Nice photos too. Enjoyed them.

It took me 6 months before i was brave enough to take my little one out, now that he is 7 years old, he is ever ready for any long drives.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 00:31   #27
BHPian

Hari becoming a father is an eternal intoxication I must say. Congratulations. Now you have set an example that nothing can stop you from being 'live to drive'.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 10:56   #28
Team-BHP Support

Lovely writeup, Hari.

Reminds me of the time we did a Kerala-Bangalore trip of about 600 kms one way when my kid was just 2 months old. We used a similar strategy -> getting my in-laws along for the trip, so they could actually see how comfortable it is.

2 years on, my kid is as much a travel buff as we are.
Will make a note of the place so we can plan for it sometime in the future.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 15:48   #29
BHPian

Nice place and writeup Hari, tempts me to plan a monsoon get away soon. I was under the impression the Linger resort is in Coorg , or do they have multiple locations now ?
Old 29th July 2011, 16:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragpatankar View Post
I was under the impression the Linger resort is in Coorg , or do they have multiple locations now ?
They have one each in Coorg (near Bhagamandala) and Balur. Check out their website at Linger.

Last edited by cool_dube : 29th July 2011 at 16:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks