Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 17:59   #46
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Aliyar is one among the beautiful dams along western ghats and water levels are full during any part of the year. There is a small guest house on the dam which was shot in the 70s Tamil Film - "Kaadhalikka Neramillai".
Also do visit Vethathiri Maharishi Ashram, 2 kms from Aliyar dam which is haven for those who meditate.
Yes, rekindling memories of those stories that I mentioned. My grandfather was posted in Aliyar when the movie "Kaadhalikka Neramillai" was being filmed there
The Vethathiri Ashram also seems to be a great place not to be missed - thanks for the information.
Old 6th June 2011, 18:14   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes, rekindling memories of those stories that I mentioned. My grandfather was posted in Aliyar when the movie "Kaadhalikka Neramillai" was being filmed there
The Vethathiri Ashram also seems to be a great place not to be missed - thanks for the information.
It is a bliss to stay in there. I used to stay there for a week's time every year till 2007 for various courses, they offer.
Old 10th June 2011, 01:37   #48
BHPian

Excellent Pictures of our neighborhood exotic places VW! Hailing from Erode/Coimbatore, Valparai has been on my 'have-to-visit" lists for a long time now, but haven't managed to do it yet. Your travelogue and the places you've stayed truly inspire me to realizing this trip soon enough!
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 09:56   #49
BHPian

Thanks man! Being from Erode, could you suggest any other place other than Chennys for a overnight halt with family? Could help many guys planning Bangalore-Munnar or Bangalore-Valparai

Thanks
VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Excellent Pictures of our neighborhood exotic places VW! Hailing from Erode/Coimbatore, Valparai has been on my 'have-to-visit" lists for a long time now, but haven't managed to do it yet. Your travelogue and the places you've stayed truly inspire me to realizing this trip soon enough!
Old 10th June 2011, 12:29   #50
BHPian

@VW

Unfortunately, there is nothing else enroute! The only other alternative is to get into Erode town where there are a lot of options. But Erode is a real pain to get through during day time as the town is choking with more and more vehicles everyday.
Old 12th September 2011, 11:21   #51
BHPian

@VW: Great article - I am inspired! I called up Dharmaraj for a booking fo the same bungalow this week and he seems to have availability

Thanks a ton for the TL
Old 12th September 2011, 23:24   #52
BHPian

Need advice: Bangalore - Tirrupur - Munnar Trip

Where and why:
5 day trip to Tirrupur, Munnar starting this Wednesday from Bangalore. The whole trip is happening because of a friend's wedding on Wednesday in Tirrupur. We have booked Sterling Resorts in Munnar.
Who:
5 of us: Me, my wife, my friend along with his wife and their 1 year old
Constraints:
- I am the only driver.
- This is going to be a leisure trip - Drive for 5-6 hours max at a stretch.
- The gang generally rises early and intend to reach destinations before sun reaches its peak.
- All are vegetarians and prefer non-spicy food
- A 1 year old is travelling with us
Plan:
Wed, Sep 14: Start 4-5 AM, reach Tirrupur at ~10 AM. Find a hotel for the day close to Paladam road.
Wed, Sep 14: Go shopping - I am told Tirrupur is a good place for apparel shopping. Anyone from Tirrupur can suggest places where we could go shopping?
Wed, Sep 14: Attend wedding in the night
Thursday, Sep 15: start early at 4-5 AM and reach Munnar by 10 AM
Thursday and Friday: In Munnar - unplanned
Saturday, Sep 17: Start at 12 Noon from Munnar. Yet to identify a place to halt for the night midway probably Salem. If we start early from Munnar, we could visit and stay for the night in Kolli hills or some such place.
Sunday, Sep 18th 5 AM: Head back to Bangalore
Help required:
There are quite a few decisions that need to be taken. Any information or suggestions to help make those decisions please?
1. Route we should take? Anything we need to watch out for - bypasses
a. Bangalore - Hosur - Salem - Erode - Tirrupur -Udamalaipettai - Marayur - Munnar Sterling Resorts
2. Accommodation and places to eat in Tirrupur. Shopping places.
3. What are must see places at Munnar - We are not keen on the general sight seeing places but can go an extra mile for the pristine. Any other suggestions on itinerary?
4. Places to eat in Munnar
5. Where do we stop on our return journey?
Old 19th September 2011, 22:41   #53
BHPian

Hi VindyWheels,

Can you tell me which place did u stay in Kodaikanal? I got confused amidst the various pictures.
Old 19th September 2011, 23:20   #54
BHPian

Hi, I stayed in Villa Retreat, but it wasnt as good as the bunglows in Munnar and Valparai - quite cramped relative to the spacious british bunglows, didnt have the old-world charm and was in a crowded place. We couldnt find a bunglow type acco in Kodai. But villa retreat is a decent place in terms of standard of the rooms and probably one doesnt not have too many better options in that budget in Kodai.

Rgds

VW
Old 20th September 2011, 08:13   #55
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need advice: Bangalore - Tirrupur - Munnar Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
Help required:
There are quite a few decisions that need to be taken. Any information or suggestions to help make those decisions please?
1. Route we should take? Anything we need to watch out for - bypasses
a. Bangalore - Hosur - Salem - Erode - Tirrupur -Udamalaipettai - Marayur - Munnar Sterling Resorts
2. Accommodation and places to eat in Tirrupur. Shopping places.
3. What are must see places at Munnar - We are not keen on the general sight seeing places but can go an extra mile for the pristine. Any other suggestions on itinerary?
4. Places to eat in Munnar
5. Where do we stop on our return journey?
1. Since your first destination is Tiruppur I think it's better to take the regular NH47 Coimbatore route and turn off into Tiruppur. So the route would be Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem (all NH7)-Get onto NH47 (at Salem there is a ramp on your left for NH7 to NH47) and then continue on NH47 all the way till Avinashi. After Avinashi you will find a left turn to Tiruppur town.
For Tiruppur-Munnar you can take the route Tiruppur-Udumalaipet-Chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar (town)-Chinnakanal (Sterling resorts). Munnar town to Chinnakanal is about 20km of hills so it can easily take an hour.

2. Sorry I have never stayed at Tiruppur so no idea about hotels there.

3. Check out Munnar TBHP travelogues and Route information threads for more information. Some of the places to see are Ervikulam National Park, Tata Tea Museum, Kundale Dam, Matupetty Dam, Top Station (except Ervikulam all others are in same direction and can be done in a single half day drive).

4. There is a Saravana Bhavan in Munnar town which is a good place for veg. food. This is very close to the Taxi stand near the junction of KDHP (Kannan Devan Hill Plantations) building. Also nearby there is a SN Hotel and a vegetarian restaurant inside (North Indian Gujarati/Rajashthani food).

5. On your return journey, I would suggest you take Chinnakanal (Sterling)-Poopara-Bodi-Theni-Periyakulam-Batlagundu-Dindigul-Karur-Namakkal-Salem-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore. This is going to be approximately 525km/9 hr drive so you may want to stay overnight somewhere since you said you prefer 5-6 hr drive a day. Salem may be a good place to stay overnight.

Last edited by NPV : 20th September 2011 at 08:25.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks