Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2020, 12:18   #586
BHPian

Re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Hello Members,

I am planning to replace my wiper blades. I have ordered a pair on Bodomo but they turned out to be not suitable. Wasted about 1000/- ☹️.

I tried the local market at minister road (Hyderabad) but could not find it. VW showroom at Khajaguda is quoting 3000/- + 500/- labour charge. Can you please advice if someone has purchased this online recently. Thanks in advance
Old 21st July 2020, 15:33   #587
BHPian

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20200721_143509.jpg

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20200721_143518.jpg

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20200721_143530.jpg

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20200721_143536.jpg

Hello Bhpians

Today while cleaning my 2011 Passat TDI DSG I opened the hood to check oil level. I found this gap/space which I am not sure was there previously or not.

Can other diesel Passat owners check if they have a similar gap in this specific pipe, in their engine bay and let me know please.
Old 24th July 2020, 14:56   #588
BHPian

Definitely has slid down a bit. Seems like your mechanic had shaved off the top, the cut is uneven. Loosen the clip and try pushing it all the way up the sleeve neck.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 15:48   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Definitely has slid down a bit. Seems like your mechanic had shaved off the top, the cut is uneven. Loosen the clip and try pushing it all the way up the sleeve neck.
Yes, seems so. But I am not aware of. Possibily the previous owner and/or his mechanic must have done this.

After speaking to my mechanic i have pushed back the pipe in its place and have tightened the screw. Hope it stays there.
Old 10th September 2020, 12:25   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_passat View Post
Hello Members,

I am planning to replace my wiper blades. I have ordered a pair on Bodomo but they turned out to be not suitable. Wasted about 1000/- ☹️.

I tried the local market at minister road (Hyderabad) but could not find it. VW showroom at Khajaguda is quoting 3000/- + 500/- labour charge. Can you please advice if someone has purchased this online recently. Thanks in advance
Blaupunkt is now selling car wipers with various adapters, which will fit virtually all cars. The Velocity flexi wiper blade range is very good - graphite coated with an aerodynamic profile. The 24/19 inch combination for the passat sells for approx. 1100/-. Go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Has anyone upgraded the ICE in their Passat to the new VW Discover Pro?

I have been offered one with a host of features, including Android Auto, Apple Car Play, Navigation, a large touch screen + all the regular features of the existing unit. In addition, a higher powered unit which will result in better sound. Price is steep 90K.

Would appreciate your inputs
The lockdown caused me to bite the bullet and order the VW MIB STD2 PQ+ for my Passat. As mentioned earlier, it is quite expensive; nevertheless I went for it considering the following:-
  1. Our other two cars Ford Ecosport 2018 & Honda Jazz have Apple Car Play/Android Auto; maps & streaming music from Spotify/Apple Music, etc is so much easier.
  2. Thought about selling the Passat (Nov 2012) a few times and upgrading - but the Passat has very good features like cooled seats, driver's seat massage function and all regular features & drives very well. Plus my car is very well maintained so why upgrade ??

The only features really lacking in the car were:- No Apple Car Play/Android Auto and auto folding side view mirrors.

Reading through various posts, I chanced on a post in the VW Jetta thread by Sarfaraz where he managed to enable the auto folding function in his Jetta. Since I have the VCDS, I did manage to enable the feature easily.

That left me with NO Apple Car Play/Android Auto as the only major feature lacking in my car. So I ordered it. Due to the lockdown, there has been a delay in delivery of about 6 weeks.

The unit should be in my possession in the next 3/4 days. Will post details of the unit + installation. Meanwhile, initial pictures of the unit attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-image1.jpeg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-image2.jpeg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-image3.jpeg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-image4.jpeg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th September 2020 at 12:53. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
rpunwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 13:32   #591
BHPian

Since I could not find an alternate option, I got my wiper blades replaced at VW khajaguda(hyderbad) for 3230/-
Old 11th September 2020, 13:08   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Blaupunkt is now selling car wipers with various adapters, which will fit virtually all cars.
Did you find them online or at a local store ??

Quote:
Since I have the VCDS, I did manage to enable the feature easily.
I have a VCDS myself and would love to activate this. Kindly share screenshots of modules and commands to be set for the lesser tech inclined like me.
Old 11th September 2020, 13:20   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Did you find them online or at a local store ??

I have a VCDS myself and would love to activate this. Kindly share screenshots of modules and commands to be set for the lesser tech inclined like me.
You can buy the wipers online at blaupunktcar.in

Please see details of my previous post on this thread
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 01:35   #594
BHPian

I gave my car for interior cleaning at a local car wash. I insisted that they apply a sponge slightly soaked in soap water to clean the dashboard and all the switches below the music system (like the AC switches, seat heaters and the AC knobs). Its been a while since I last got it cleaned and was very particular about getting the interiors cleaned thoroughly.

The car was cleaned perfectly, however after starting the car, I noticed that the lights on the AC blower and the seat heater light indicators were automatically turning on. I turned the ignition off but the lights did not go off. Apart from this the AC blower was automatically shuffling between the main blower and the feet blower all by itself. I guessed that some soap water got into the switches and it is causing the problem. I wanted it to give it time to dry it by itself.

The next day, when I started the car, the AC blower was working fine. I just wanted to make sure all other switches are working and I turned the driver and the passenger seat heater on. The passenger seat was not heating up. The driver seat was working fine. I turned the ignition off. However, I noticed that the seat was still getting heated 15 minutes after turning the ignition completely off. I knew there was a problem. I wanted to give it some time and when I tried to start the car the next day, it refused to start up. I can see the lights on the instrument cluster but the battery does not have enough power to start the car.

My car is still on the original Varta battery (7 year old). I am planning to get a local car electrician to jump start the car.

Can you please suggest if I should try spraying an electric contact cleaner on the switches to remove the moisture caused by the soap water ?

If I have to go for a battery replacement, Please recommend a good batter for my 2012 diesel highline passat.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th September 2020, 14:34   #595
BHPian

I've changed mine last month to Amaron DIN74. Don't cut corners on the battery - get a good reputable brand, the electrical systems on these cars are pretty complicated - and expensive to fix.
If the weather has become sunny at your place, just leave her parked in the hot sun with the window glasses a wee bit open, should sort out the moisture issue. Alternately get her vaccum cleaned ( wet vaccuming )
Old 1st October 2020, 00:52   #596
BHPian

Its still cloudy and rainy here in Hyderabad so no possibility of letting the passat soak up some sun. I decided to call a nearby car battery guy to jump start my passat. I know him when he did the same for my skoda last year. He bought a battery with himself and without disconnecting my existing battery he jump started the car. I drove it for 30 mins and the battery got charged and I could restart it without a problem. However, The driver seat heater again turned on by itself and I could not turn it off with the switch.

I decided to take to VW showroom (Khajaguda) hyderabad. Gave them a call at 4PM and explained the problem. They insisted that I first take an appointment for the next day. I did not want to wait another day and called my skoda expert (Inline Motors Manikonda). Luckily an electrician was available who happens to be a VW expert.

He removed the panel and opened the board. I could clearly see water droplets and a bit of rust on the board. He sprayed wurth electric connector cleaner on the board and wiped it. He later used a hot blower gun. He re fixed the panel and all the switches were working fine. Thank god.

Learnt my lesson. I will not use a sponge soaked in soap water or any water for that matter to clean the dash bard panels and switches.

I paid 500/- to the electrician.

Attaching a few pics. I forgot to take the pics of the board with tiny rust marks. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_8546.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_8545.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_8544.jpg  

vw_passat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 07:24   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm...you like to wash the dashboard!
You should get the new Thar, bookings open tomorrow.

On long road trips also I have seen many Indians getting upset because of the muddy and dusty looks of their cars and getting their car washed wherever they stop en route! Some go overboard and get the engine bay also washed and then call emergency assistance because something or the other does not work. During my cross country road trips (Ladakh, Uttaranchal,...) I never wash my car, neither do I allow anyone to wash it even if any hotel staff offers to. And I haven't gotten stranded even once!

My dusty muddy car has helped jump start many spick and span looking cars on road trips (daily washed even during the trip variety. Priceless feeling
anandpadhye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 11:28   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_passat View Post
I could clearly see water droplets and a bit of rust on the board.
You're really lucky you got away lightly. Use good quality clay to clean your dashboard. I know how it feels to have dust / dirt in the textured surfaces. But always avoid water anywhere inside the car. The exterior electrical's are built to withstand water. Not so on the inside.

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 1st October 2020 at 11:39.
Old 2nd January 2021, 15:43   #599

Hi Guys,

How reliable is the DSG in the Passat (2011-2013). Is it wise to buy a used passat with under 60k on odo. What should be the main issues I should be watching out for?
Old 2nd January 2021, 17:02   #600
BHPian

If it's a well maintained car DSG will not throw up any surprises. My pre-owned B7 had 1.2 lakh kms on the odo.
Is this a petrol ? 60K seems very low for a diesel - unless the reading has been reversed.
60K is also the time when DSG oil needs to be replaced - so you're looking at Rs.12K expense if done at the workshop and Rs.6K-8K if done at a good garage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks