Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2019, 02:08   #571
BHPian

Re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_passat View Post
Is it possible to source a pair of lower arms for a lesser price ?

If you have a FNG guy you can change the rubber bushes on the lower arms. I got mine changed about 20K kms back and they're holding out good.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 14:59   #572
BHPian

Hi Wasava

As per your advice, I replaced the bushes and brackets for both the lower arms at a local garage (Skoda and VW expert). He recommended that I should also change both the control arms and I agreed. Bushes costed 8k and control arms costed 4k. Lathe machine work 400/-

Its been over two months since I got this job done. The sound from the lower arms has been eliminated, but, I am not completely satisfied with the overall suspension of the car. The condition of roads in Hyderabad has not been very good over the past 6 months and I can sense even a small pot hole on the road which is very annoying. My 11 year old skoda laura which has clocked 2 lakh Kms feels a little better than my passat.

my Passat has only done 55k Kms and there is no noise coming from the suspension. It is just not as smooth as a car of this class should be. Can someone please suggest a suitable remedy.

My car has almost complete 13kms from the last oil change and I would like to get the oil and filters replaced. I have purchased castrol edge professional 5w40 from metro super market. I was initially thinking about shifting to liqui molly but changed my mind.
I would like to know if it would be a good idea to perform an engine flush before changing the oil. I have read about it and there are mixed reviews. Please share your valuable inputs on the same.
Old 20th December 2019, 15:22   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

my Passat has only done 55k Kms and there is no noise coming from the suspension. It is just not as smooth as a car of this class should be. Can someone please suggest a suitable remedy.

My car has almost complete 13kms from the last oil change and I would like to get the oil and filters replaced. I have purchased castrol edge professional 5w40 from metro super market. I was initially thinking about shifting to liqui molly but changed my mind.
I would like to know if it would be a good idea to perform an engine flush before changing the oil. I have read about it and there are mixed reviews. Please share your valuable inputs on the same.
I would suggest you do an engine oil flush. Now is a good time to do so. Engine oil flush is not recommended for high mileage engines as it dissolves the carbon that seals the Piston ring gaps and this can cause oil consumption issues.

Go for a good engine oil flush such as liqui moly. Pour it into a hot engine and idle for 15 minutes. Drain the oil and pour fresh new oil in.

If you are going for an engine oil flush, why haven't you considered changing to liqui moly oil as well?
Old 29th December 2019, 21:41   #574
BHPian

I was on journey from Hyderabad to Goa four days ago and my son tried to open the sunroof and the fabric came off. Please note that the entire headliner is in perfect shape but the fabric which covers the sunroof has come off. I do not want to replace the entire roof as it is in perfect condition. Will I be able to fix the fabric of the sunroof. Should I seek a car seat cover maker or 3M care guy who can stick the fabric using the 3M adhesive. I would like to know if anyone of you experienced a similar problem.

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-f4ac00f17eb14908aa72c3229ed62ce4.jpeg

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-a8e0fc1da52a4e4fa6b0426903b0c79d.jpeg
Old 30th December 2019, 20:11   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Should I seek a car seat cover maker or 3M care guy who can stick the fabric using the 3M adhesive.

Between the two I'd pick 3M anyday - provided the outlet uses 3M products.

Extreme heat during summers will make the lining fall out again if treated with local adhesive at the 'seat cover' guys.
Are those water stains on the lining ? Did you accidentally leave the sunroof open a wee bit ??
Old 31st December 2019, 10:52   #576
BHPian

No water stains at all but I saw some fine mud particles stuck to the fabric when it came off. May be it got accumulated there over the years. I was actually considering a sunroof servicing ( clearing the drains and greasing/lubricating the sunroof) at a webasto store near me. It’s surprising that sunroof maintenance is no way mentioned in the VW service manual. I am not sure if the dealership guys are aware/equipped for this job. I will be visiting 3M for the fabric work on 2nd jan 2020, will keep you posted.

Happy new year 20202 in advance.
Old 31st December 2019, 12:20   #577
BHPian

Quote:
It’s surprising that sunroof maintenance is no way mentioned in the VW service manual. I am not sure if the dealership guys are aware/equipped for this job.

Perhaps because they don't battle the dust issue like we do. But if you do use the sunroof regularly, you should get the side channels and drain cleaned and cleared. At the VW dealership when I went for DSG oil change I asked them to check for sunroof drain pip blockage ( a friend had,around that time have his skoda superb floor filled with water as the sunroof drain pipes were clogged )

They tested it by injecting detergent water, followed by clean water, into the sunroof drain channels with a thick veterinary use syringe. Luckily for me the drain lines were clear. The pipes are routed from the roof to the A pillar.
Old 19th January 2020, 15:03   #578
BHPian

Hi

My passat was due for an oil change and I already had a 4ltr box of Castrol edge professional. However, I wanted to shift to liqui molly and I ordered a 5 ltr Liqui Moly toptec 4100 5W40 on amazon for 4600/- (made in Germany).

I didi not use an engine flush as I read mixed reviews about the same on VW forums. Used the original filters sourced by a friend from the VW workshop here in Hyderabad.

I noticed that the engine noise has come down by 20-25% and the car is smoother. I have just done 50kms so far and will be able to give a better review in a few weeks from now.

I read that Liqui Moly will be manufacturing oils in India moving forward and the German made oils may no longer be available. I am thinking if it is a good idea to buy one now for future use. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

On another note I am in immediate need for a pair of wiper blades. I have checked online for Bosch wiper blades but they have a standard 19 inch size available. However my driver side wiper is 24inches and the passenger side wiper is 19 inches. Please suggest me a good wiper blade which I can purchase immediately.
vw_passat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 12:11   #579
BHPian

Quote:
I read that Liqui Moly will be manufacturing oils in India moving forward and the German made oils may no longer be available. I am thinking if it is a good idea to buy one now for future use.
Makes sense to buy in advance only if you're sold on the Made in Germany tag. If you're going to hold on to her for long you'll at some point anyway buy Made in India Oil - which will be manufactured in accordance with Liqui Moly specs.

Quote:
Please suggest me a good wiper blade which I can purchase immediately.
Fellow Bhpian rpunwani has posted a DIY (VW Passat DIY: Replacing the Wiper blade element) where he replaced just the wiper element on his passat.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 19:06   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

My passat was due for an oil change and I already had a 4ltr box of Castrol edge professional. However, I wanted to shift to liqui molly and I ordered a 5 ltr Liqui Moly toptec 4100 5W40 on amazon for 4600/- (made in Germany).

I didi not use an engine flush as I read mixed reviews about the same on VW forums. Used the original filters sourced by a friend from the VW workshop here in Hyderabad.

I noticed that the engine noise has come down by 20-25% and the car is smoother. I have just done 50kms so far and will be able to give a better review in a few weeks from now.

I read that Liqui Moly will be manufacturing oils in India moving forward and the German made oils may no longer be available. I am thinking if it is a good idea to buy one now for future use. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

On another note I am in immediate need for a pair of wiper blades. I have checked online for Bosch wiper blades but they have a standard 19 inch size available. However my driver side wiper is 24inches and the passenger side wiper is 19 inches. Please suggest me a good wiper blade which I can purchase immediately.
I agree with you.
In 2018 oil change service i used Liqui Moly and as you said the vibration went down.
In 2019 i went back to Castrol Edge and now i can clearly say that Liqui Moly was way better in handling noise and vibration.
Prash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 19:14   #581
BHPian

I think I will stick to liqui molly for now. I ordered another 5 liter bottle on amazon which I want to use for my next oil change later this year. I hope amazon continues to sell german made oil at a discounted price.
Old 6th February 2020, 10:41   #582
BHPian

Quote:
I think I will stick to liqui molly for now. I ordered another 5 liter bottle on amazon which I want to use for my next oil change later this year. I hope amazon continues to sell german made oil at a discounted price.
In 2018 I had bought Liqui Molly for Rs.4000 from some website. After few months I found some dealer in Mumbai local market was selling for lesser price. If you want I can check for you the current price.

Do let me know.

Quote:
I was on journey from Hyderabad to Goa four days ago and my son tried to open the sunroof and the fabric came off. Please note that the entire headliner is in perfect shape but the fabric which covers the sunroof has come off. I do not want to replace the entire roof as it is in perfect condition. Will I be able to fix the fabric of the sunroof. Should I seek a car seat cover maker or 3M care guy who can stick the fabric using the 3M adhesive. I would like to know if anyone of you experienced a similar problem.

Attachment 1950510

Attachment 1950511
Sorry for a late reply, I just checked this post of yours.

I faced same problem few months ago. I did these things:

1) Removed the top glass, removed the panel and again placed the glass back. (One has to remove the Sun roof glass to remove this panel.

2) Completely washed the panel as there was old adhesive over it.

3) Sourced fabric from local market costing approx Rs.300 for a meter. Though the fabric did not match exactly after fitting there is no visible difference.

4) Took the panel and the new fabric to a car seat cover guy. He charged some Rs.200 and carried the job to a satisfactory level.

5) Again removed the sunroof, placed the panel and got the job completed.

Note: Fitting Sunroof to its exact position and pasting the material are 2 of the most critical part in the entire job done.

Last edited by ajmat : 6th February 2020 at 19:28.
Prash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 07:31   #583
BHPian

Quote:
No water stains at all but I saw some fine mud particles stuck to the fabric when it came off. May be it got accumulated there over the years. I was actually considering a sunroof servicing ( clearing the drains and greasing/lubricating the sunroof) at a webasto store near me. It’s surprising that sunroof maintenance is no way mentioned in the VW service manual. I am not sure if the dealership guys are aware/equipped for this job. I will be visiting 3M for the fabric work on 2nd jan 2020, will keep you posted.

Happy new year 20202 in advance.
Please pm me as I have gone through the same issue
Old 10th February 2020, 07:24   #584
BHPian

Hi,

I got the sunroof fixed by mechanic who works for skoda showroom to fix headliners. He got a new fabric for sunroof and replaced it. It looks almost like the original one. He charged 3700/- in total. He also informed me that my roof fabric may also come off in a year or so and can be replaced for 10k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
In 2018 I had bought Liqui Molly for Rs.4000 from some website. After few months I found some dealer in Mumbai local market was selling for lesser price. If you want I can check for you the current price.
My mechanic referred me to a person who works at the skoda showroom exclusively to fix car roof fabrics. He removed the sunroof fabric and replaced it with a new one which is almost identical. He did a very good job.

Talking about liqui molly, I already have a spare 5 liter bottle so would not be needing it until mid next year. Thank you

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th February 2020 at 07:41. Reason: Please refer to Mod Note above
Old 2nd June 2020, 11:40   #585
BHPian

For those of you who have missed the auto folding side view mirrors on the 2011 Passat, here's how to activate it - many thanks to Sarfraz.

It take 5 mins to activate it if you have access to Ross Tech VCDS.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4801639 (Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks