Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2019, 13:04   #556
BHPian

Re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Timing belt seems to be fine. The issue should be with the drive belt being worn out. Better to replace the tensioner too though.
Tensioner should cost approx Rs.7500 and drive belt should be around Rs.600.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 14:52   #557
BHPian

Noise from my Passat. Kindly ignore the clatter noise as thats the usual car engine noise. Note the hissing sound which is along with clatter noise. Want to understand what the problem is.

Old 25th May 2019, 21:41   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Noise from my Passat. Kindly ignore the clatter noise as thats the usual car engine noise. Note the hissing sound which is along with clatter noise. Want to understand what the problem is.
Sounds like a worn ball bearing. It could be from an idler pulley or tensioner's bearing.
Both timing belt and serpentine belts have it. Remove the serpentine belt and start the engine, if the noise doesn't go away then it is from the timing belt tensioner or idle pulley bearing.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 18:51   #559
BHPian

Hi

I took my car to the VW workshop at Khajaguda today to get the general servicing done. The service advisor stated that they need to place an order for the air filter, and the diesel filter. He asked me to pay the advance and wait for 10 days. I thought that was ridiculous. I could have accepted it if it was a spare part like a compressor or a head light but since filters are the most common things that are replaced I was very disappointed.

Can someone please help me source a high quality air filter, oil filter, and a diesel filter for my VW passat 2012 Highline diesel AT
Old 27th May 2019, 21:51   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Sounds like a worn ball bearing. It could be from an idler pulley or tensioner's bearing.
Both timing belt and serpentine belts have it. Remove the serpentine belt and start the engine, if the noise doesn't go away then it is from the timing belt tensioner or idle pulley bearing.

Changed the timing kit as it was due. The other belt, i guess the fan belt was removed, car started and noise was still there.
So problem seems to lie somewhere else.
Old 4th July 2019, 13:40   #561
BHPian

Hello Gentlemen,

After I purchased my passat last year, I quickly got the oils, filters and tyres changed. However, I have ignored the DSG oil and filter. My car was manufactured in 2012 and sold in 2013. As per VW, the DSG oil has to be changed every 60K kms or 4 years.

The prev owner has not used the car much and only driven it for 30k kms in 6 years and he did not change the DSG oil. I have now used it for another 15k kms myself without changing it.

I would like to know if any considerable damage has already been done to the DSG gear box ? I spoke to a couple of VW showrooms in Hyderabad and luckily one of them have the oil and filter available. I am planning to get the job done tomorrow.

They have quoted 1600/- per liter for the oil and stated that it would consume 5.5 liters of oil and 800/- for the filter.

Should I ask the mechanic to check the condition of the old oil to ascertain any damage ?

Will I notice an improvement in the performance after the oil change ?

kindly advice.
Old 4th July 2019, 14:02   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_passat View Post
I have ignored the DSG oil and filter.
If there was only one oil you could change on your car it should've been this !

As per VW, the DSG oil has to be changed every 60K kms or 4 years.

Stick to this - regardless of how much your car has run. Change DSG on time. Always.

I would like to know if any considerable damage has already been done to the DSG gear box ?

If there was - she'd have stalled on you by now. So change it asap while she's still good to you.

They have quoted 1600/- per liter for the oil and stated that it would consume 5.5 liters of oil and 800/- for the filter.

Seems quite reasonable. I've paid 12K+ for the same.

Should I ask the mechanic to check the condition of the old oil to ascertain any damage ?

What'll he do ?? Dip two fingers and the sensors on his fingertips will miraculously determine if it's good to go ??
No matter at what price you bought it - it will always cost you the same to maintain as a 35 lakh rupees car. So be very careful about fluid changes and electrical components.

A smoother shifting maybe - nothing more.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-passat.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 20:17   #563
BHPian

Quote:

I am in same boat, do let us know your bill after you get it done.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th July 2019 at 06:54. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 8th July 2019, 10:51   #564
BHPian

DSG is an expensive piece of equipment if you have to replace it. Whether its 10k or 20k, get it replaced asap. Don't wait on that. Most VW brand vehicles problems comes from the DSG assembly.
Old 8th July 2019, 13:09   #565
BHPian

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-0ce5ad9fe848465d973c78fb0d59921f.jpeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
I am in same boat, do let us know your bill after you get it done.
I visited VW Secunderabad (PPS Motors) and got the DSG oil and filter replaced.

I was at one point considering the option of getting this job done at a local garage (where I used to get my skoda repaired) but I am so glad I took it to the authorised workshop. I was right next to the car when the job was performed and it is a complicated job. They had to wait for the oil temperature to be between 35 to 50, and after training out the old oil, they filled 6 liters of new DSG oil. After waiting for sometime they removed around 500 ml out.
vw_passat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 13:33   #566
BHPian

Quote:

I visited VW Secunderabad (PPS Motors) and got the DSG oil and filter replaced.
Hey, thanks for your post. Will it be possible to share the bill please?
Old 8th July 2019, 13:41   #567
BHPian

Hey Prash

I have uploaded the bill along with my above post 👆. In case you are not able to view it, here is the break up.

DSG oil 6 liters 9306/- inclusive of GST

Filter 1243/-

Seal ring 206/-

Labour 1770/-

Total 12525/-
vw_passat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 17:52   #568
BHPian

Two weeks ago the glow plug indicator started flashing and CEL too lit up and the car went into limp mode, since I happened to be very close to the VW dealership soI decided to have it checked.

The SA took a short drive and said I'll have to bring it in the next day as tey'll have to check what exactly is the issue. But in all probability my EGR and Turbo are the culprits !! Since the car is over 1.5 lakh kms now - apparently this was to be the only probable cause.
Drove back and hooked it up to my VCDS cable - and it showed 'Coolant pump 2' failure. Took her to my FNG who happens to be an ex-audi guy and he said there is a electrical pump that cools the turbo which would have failed.

Managed to source it through a friend in Chennai and now she's back to her usual self .
Total Cost : Pump = Rs.7K
Labour - Pump installation and EGR Cleaning - 3K
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img20190713wa0017.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img20190713wa0018.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img20190713wa0032.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 18:19   #569
BHPian

Looking for a Lemforder gear mount. Cant find it here in Opera house market. Can anyone help locate this part please?
Part number is 3C0199555 (Thats numerical zero) for Passat Highline DSG
Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 14:41   #570
BHPian

I started noticing some sound coming from the suspension and I took it to the VW PPS motors Secunderabad. I was told that the lower arms have to be replaced, he showed me that the rubbers have worn out. They gave an estimate of 30k + labour.

Is it possible to source a pair of lower arms for a lesser price ? Kindly advice

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks