Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2018, 13:43   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Does anyone have any experience with replacing the projectors in the Passat? It would entail opening the headlights. I haven't been able to find out from where to source replacement projectors.
VW wouldn't sell only projectors, you have to buy entire headlight assembly. But, if you find out the type of projectors used.. You can try to source them. What is the spec of bulbs?

Quote:
Other issue is the auto levelling system as the projectors would have to be compatible with this system.
I am not sure. But, I believe this has got nothing to do with projectors.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 14:29   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
VW wouldn't sell only projectors, you have to buy entire headlight assembly. But, if you find out the type of projectors used.. You can try to source them. What is the spec of bulbs?

The bulbs are D2S.
I am not sure how to find the type of projector. I am hoping someone on the forum might have an idea.
Old 3rd March 2018, 14:48   #528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
The bulbs are D2S.
I am not sure how to find the type of projector. I am hoping someone on the forum might have an idea.
There are many types of projectors which use D2S bulbs. I am guessing it would be Hella (most common as OE).

Why don't you search for headlights from accident cars? The projectors should be fine in most of them. Do try
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 13:13   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Update:

I got the battery in my Passat replaced with an Amaron DIN74 battery. The technicial who came home brought along a small battery which he connected in parallel to the old Varta Battery. Then he asked me to start the car, after which he disconnected the Varta battery and connected the new Amaron battery. Then he removed the small battery which was connected in parallel.

Took all of 10 mins -
Hi Rpunwani, Looks like its time to change my battery too. My car was parked for the last 6 months and refused to start this morning. The car is 4 years old now. I need help:

1. Should i just jump start the car and charge the battery and try using it for a few days
2. go ahead with a replacement. If yes, do these amaron/exide batteries good enough compared to Varta, (Specially because of the start stop system)

Thanks.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 20:30   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hi Rpunwani, Looks like its time to change my battery too. My car was parked for the last 6 months and refused to start this morning. The car is 4 years old now. I need help:

1. Should i just jump start the car and charge the battery and try using it for a few days
2. go ahead with a replacement. If yes, do these amaron/exide batteries good enough compared to Varta, (Specially because of the start stop system)

Thanks.
You will need to jump start the car initially and then change the battery as I described in my post. IMHO, Amaron batteries are excellent - have had no issues with the battery change in the Passat.

My confidence in Amaron stems from the fact that my Amaron batteries (2 of them) in my Lancer worked for 7 years, each
Old 17th April 2018, 09:19   #531
BHPian

Hello everyone

I have certain queries if all of you great people can help me with please. Am planning to get My 2011 december Passat diesel (this time) get annual service done at a local garage and not an authorized dealer.

Would like to know:

1) Grade, Make and Quantity needed:- a) engine oil, b) DSG gearbox oil, c) brake oil, d) coolant

2) What make to buy:- a) engine oil filter, b) DSG gearbox oil filter, c) air filter

Also if there is anything that i have missed on which will be needed to annual service.

Regards
Prashant
Old 17th April 2018, 10:58   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post

1) Grade, Make and Quantity needed:- a) engine oil, b) DSG gearbox oil, c) brake oil, d) coolant

2) What make to buy:- a) engine oil filter, b) DSG gearbox oil filter, c) air filter

Also if there is anything that i have missed on which will be needed to annual service.

Regards
Prashant
For Engine oil(5W 40), Brake oil(DOT 4), you could consider Liqui Moly. There are good reviews on all international forums about the brand. For coolant(G13), suggest you buy it off the shelf from the dealer.

Oil filter, air filter is normally of MANN make. But you must check the part number from your previous service to order the exact parts.
DSG fluid & filter must be of FEBI Bilstein make.

If you're really confident with the local garage, cool. Otherwise its highly recommended that you get DSG jobs done at the dealership as they have the right tools for everything. DSG fluid if over filled, will leak out and may cause problems later, where as under level will cause heating problems.

Do let us know how the service goes!
adi_petrolhead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 11:22   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
For Engine oil(5W 40), Brake oil(DOT 4), you could consider Liqui Moly. There are good reviews on all international forums about the brand. For coolant(G13), suggest you buy it off the shelf from the dealer.

Oil filter, air filter is normally of MANN make. But you must check the part number from your previous service to order the exact parts.
DSG fluid & filter must be of FEBI Bilstein make.

If you're really confident with the local garage, cool. Otherwise its highly recommended that you get DSG jobs done at the dealership as they have the right tools for everything. DSG fluid if over filled, will leak out and may cause problems later, where as under level will cause heating problems.

Do let us know how the service goes!

Thank you so much.

I also wanted to know, a) what about the quantity needed for all of these (as I will have to buy everything and reach the garage where the service will be done) and b) website that u can suggest for me to read about VW engines.

DSG oil change is not due this year, so I won't go for a change for that.
Old 17th April 2018, 11:57   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much.

I also wanted to know, a) what about the quantity needed for all of these (as I will have to buy everything and reach the garage where the service will be done) and b) website that u can suggest for me to read about VW engines.
You'll need to check the part numbers and quantities for oil, etc. from your previous service bills. Quantities change from engine to engine. All the products are available on Amazon.in

For reading more on VW engines go to myturbodiesel.com, vwaudiforum.co.uk, forums.tdiclub.com

You'll have to get a feel on these forums as I have personally not been active on any of those. But you'll easily find info on the 2.0 TDI engine just by a google search.
adi_petrolhead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 12:02   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much.

DSG oil change is not due this year, so I won't go for a change for that.
Don't know about VW, but most manuals contain all the info regarding maintenance including intervals, quantity and specifications of all lubricants and filters etc.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 11:06   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Don't know about VW, but most manuals contain all the info regarding maintenance including intervals, quantity and specifications of all lubricants and filters etc.
Dear,

The manual doesn't mention the quantity. Also oils mentioned on the VW manual are as per their branding and doesn't mention in terms of what usual market term as 5w 40 and so on.
Old 21st April 2018, 00:30   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Dear,

The manual doesn't mention the quantity. Also oils mentioned on the VW manual are as per their branding and doesn't mention in terms of what usual market term as 5w 40 and so on.
It is not correct when they don't mention the quantities. On the other hand often owner's manual of Skoda variant's that use the same engine would have the oil quantities mentioned in them (eg: Laura/Superb). Passat 2.0TDI (125kw) would require 4.3L of oil approx.

With respect to oil specification like VW 505 01 or VW 507 00, they are not branding, but specific standards to be met by the oil. It exceeds the standards referenced to by a generic 5W-40 viscosity spec or an API/ACEA certification level. Such manufacturer specific oil standards are common with EU manufacturers including Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, FCA, PSA, Renault etc.

For pretty much all of the 2.0TDI sold by VW/Skoda in India and those which don't have DPF, VW 505 01 spec would be ideal (considering our fuel quality also).
Globally, VW 505 01 could be formulated in following viscosity grades, namely 5W30 (rare), 5W40 (common), 10W40 (rare). To be noted is that all In India only 5W40 grade is available in VW 505 01 spec and your options would be:

1) Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5W40 (used in VW/Skoda ASC for all the cars from Fabia to Passat)
2) Motul 8100 "X-Clean" 5W40
3) Liquimoly Top Tec 4100 5W-40

For a bit more reading on the topic:
List of VW specific engine oils in India
VW 505 01 vs VW 507 00 for India
avinash_clt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:09   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
It is not correct when they don't mention the quantities. On the other hand often owner's manual of Skoda variant's that use the same engine would have the oil quantities mentioned in them (eg: Laura/Superb). Passat 2.0TDI (125kw) would require 4.3L of oil approx.

With respect to oil specification like VW 505 01 or VW 507 00, they are not branding, but specific standards to be met by the oil. It exceeds the standards referenced to by a generic 5W-40 viscosity spec or an API/ACEA certification level. Such manufacturer specific oil standards are common with EU manufacturers including Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, FCA, PSA, Renault etc.

For pretty much all of the 2.0TDI sold by VW/Skoda in India and those which don't have DPF, VW 505 01 spec would be ideal (considering our fuel quality also).
Globally, VW 505 01 could be formulated in following viscosity grades, namely 5W30 (rare), 5W40 (common), 10W40 (rare). To be noted is that all In India only 5W40 grade is available in VW 505 01 spec and your options would be:

1) Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5W40 (used in VW/Skoda ASC for all the cars from Fabia to Passat)
2) Motul 8100 "X-Clean" 5W40
3) Liquimoly Top Tec 4100 5W-40

For a bit more reading on the topic:
List of VW specific engine oils in India
VW 505 01 vs VW 507 00 for India

One of the non authorized guy i met, who promises me a nice job for usual service done is asking me to use Wurth 5w50 engine oil.

One more guy i approached says he uses Mobil 1 in all "imported" cars that he services.

So wanted to know how important should it be to use only 'VW 505.01'? Not that i have made up my mind but is it ok to go with Wurth 5w40 or Mobil 1?

Now slightly deviating from the topic of oil change, i have a query regarding the problem of 'hot start' in my passat. My car, 50% of the time refuses to start in hot condition. Cold start is not a problem at all.

The culprit seems to be flywheel. Could you suggest a good mechanic from your city whom you can trust on for carrying out the job of flywheel change in Passat efficiently. Also not to mention he should have the right and original part that needs a replacement.

I am in Mumbai and do not mind travelling to a nearby city if the cost is lower as compared to the authorized guys and the work carried out to be really good.

Please let me know.

Thank you
Old 22nd April 2018, 22:53   #539
BHPian

Quote:
One of the non authorized guy i met, who promises me a nice job for usual service done is asking me to use Wurth 5w50 engine oil.
That is a way too thick oil to be used in the car running stock outputs. You will have compromised cold start lubrication (the period where engine wear is maximum) and likely loss in engine smoothness/FE also. Do note that none of the VW specs spoken about earlier come in xW50 viscosity grade. Such thick oils would be needed only for cars running significantly higher outputs than stock or being used for motorsport applications.
Quote:
One more guy i approached says he uses Mobil 1 in all "imported" cars that he services.
So wanted to know how important should it be to use only 'VW 505.01'? Not that i have made up my mind but is it ok to go with Wurth 5w40 or Mobil 1?
VW 505 01 spec is quite important for the TDI engines. Using VW 505 00 instead will show up problems only in the long run. If yours were a petrol it needs to conform only to VW 502 00 spec, for which there are much more options. For an aftermarket workshop, there won't be financial incentive to stock VW 505 01 spec oil for the few cars he would need it for. VW/Skoda ASC uses the particular Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5W40 oil cause they can use it for all engines in all models, petrol or diesel.

Quote:
Could you suggest a good mechanic from your city whom you can trust on for carrying out the job of flywheel change in Passat efficiently. Also not to mention he should have the right and original part that needs a replacement.

I am in Mumbai and do not mind travelling to a nearby city if the cost is lower as compared to the authorized guys and the work carried out to be really good.

Please let me know.
I am quite far from Mumbai (Calicut, Kerala) and luckily for cars in our family, VW/Skoda ASCs have been quite helpful and supportive. We rarely had to visit independent workshops. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this.

On a side note, the problem needn't be flywheel at all (with respect to starting only the teeth of the flywheel comes into play). Hot start problem can be due to a variety of reasons, would suggest to have it checked it thoroughly. If you are lucky, it could be an inexpensive fix even.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 16:06   #540
BHPian

Team, I have decided to part ways with my immaculate Passat 2013 (Trendline MT). It has done 19000 Kms and been maintained by yours truly. If anyone here knows someone who might be interested then please hit me up.

PS i dont want to post it in the classifieds or other portals. Looking for someone who can keep the car like I have kept it.
Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks