Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2017, 13:10   #511
BHPian

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
I have to go in for tyre replacement on my Passat, which is 5 years old. Any suggestions / recommendations will be be most welcome.
IMO, steer clear of the OEM Pirellis. They are very comfortable and grippy, but extremely puncture-prone.

About 15,000 KMs ago, I swapped the original set for Yokohama Db Decibels (225/55/R16 94V). These are extremely silent and are very durable (not had a single puncture since I changed). Ride comfort is also good (I maintain 35 Psi). I have no complaints about the grip levels too. Moreover, the Yokos give the car a more muscular look.

I had tried looking for Michelin, but couldn't find a dealer who had stock. No idea about Apollo.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
Got my car back after another repair - this time blower assly replaced. I thought everything is ok only to realize that the passenger side power windows, lumbar support and seat cooler buttons are not functioning. Since there is no manual levers or anything, passengers cannot adjust anything. I don't know if something happened during blower replacement that some fuse got blown. Driver side controls are ok.

The reverse camera is also gone, I opened the rear boot trim and checked the connections , everything seems ok but there is no video output.

Never ending gremlins of this car is irritating. Every visit to the workshop is 1 week stay - Started getting the urge to repair and sell it -
Sad to hear that you're having one issue after another. For the passenger side seat+windows, check if the service center forgot to connect something after your blower replacement.

As for your reverse camera, have you checked if the camera pops out when you engage reverse? If it doesn't, it could be an issue with the mechanism that extends/retracts the camera. If the camera does pop out and you don't have any video output, it could be an issue with the control unit (located behind the right quarter panel in the boot).

The cause for my camera failure was the latter (control unit). Moisture had seeped into that area in my car and caused the unit to rust and eventually fail. It is a pretty expensive affair to replace it (approx. 35K-40K).

I can relate to your statement about the never ending gremlins. Hope your issues are solved at the earliest. :(
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 17:35   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
IMO, steer clear of the OEM Pirellis. They are very comfortable and grippy, but extremely puncture-prone.
I totally agree with you. I too had two tyres where the sidewalls got badly damaged. Didn't have so much of punctures though. Besides the ones I am getting are manufactured in 2016.

Michelin Primacy 3ST are available at the same price & manufactured in 2017- more inclined towards them.

Yokohama tyres are not easily available, the dealer has to call for them.

Will wait for a few days until the car has gone through her 5th year service next week and then change tyres.

On another note, I have been called many times by the Service Centre to carry out the software upgrade - till now i have refused to get one done. I have asked them to get a document in writing from VW that the engine power / torque will remain the same after the remapping. They have not responded after that LoL
Old 17th November 2017, 11:50   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post

About 15,000 KMs ago, I swapped the original set for Yokohama Db Decibels (225/55/R16 94V). These are extremely silent and are very durable (not had a single puncture since I changed). Ride comfort is also good (I maintain 35 Psi). I have no complaints about the grip levels too. Moreover, the Yokos give the car a more muscular look.

I had tried looking for Michelin, but couldn't find a dealer who had stock. No idea about Apollo.

Hope this helps.

Sad to hear that you're having one issue after another. For the passenger side seat+windows, check if the service center forgot to connect something after your blower replacement.

As for your reverse camera, have you checked if the camera pops out when you engage reverse? If it doesn't, it could be an issue with the mechanism that extends/retracts the camera. If the camera does pop out and you don't have any video output, it could be an issue with the control unit (located behind the right quarter panel in the boot).

The cause for my camera failure was the latter (control unit). Moisture had seeped into that area in my car and caused the unit to rust and eventually fail. It is a pretty expensive affair to replace it (approx. 35K-40K).

I can relate to your statement about the never ending gremlins. Hope your issues are solved at the earliest. :(
Thanks Fordfreak - I had gone thru your thread about the reverse camera issues. For me, it was working well mostly with occasional fault - even the control unit looks clean with no rust (I guess your unit was very badly affected by moisture going by the picture in your thread). Reverse camera pops up correctly. Maybe the unit went bad internally.

Regarding passenger seat issues, service center will check it. They said fixing blower assembly was not a complex job and I doubt if something went wrong there. I also checked the fuse for the part and it seems OK. Will await for word from service center.

Have spent more than 1 Lac on the car in last 14 months apart from regular maintenance and tire replacement. highly frustrating
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images.../deadhorse.gif
Old 18th November 2017, 00:22   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On another note, I have been called many times by the Service Centre to carry out the software upgrade - till now i have refused to get one done. I have asked them to get a document in writing from VW that the engine power / torque will remain the same after the remapping. They have not responded after that LoL
Its a known fact that post VW DieselGate ECU update, engine power & torque curve will reduce. Peak power and Torque will remain the same. But the spread of power & torque will diminish by a large extent.
Drove a friend 1.6 TDi post ECU update. From being a cheetah it has become a
Avoid the update as much as possible.
Old 26th November 2017, 09:22   #515
BHPian

Here's an update:-

Had an uneventful 5th Year Service on my Passat. I told them that I do not want the software upgrade - I was made to write that & sign on the sheet.

I also googled Falken tyres and there is the Ziex ZE912 which is 215/55/16 with a Load/Speed rating of 97V. The company is a JV between Sumitomo Rubber & Stamford Tyres Singapore. Has anyone had experience with Falken tyres ??
Old 28th November 2017, 19:06   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
Thanks Fordfreak - I had gone thru your thread about the reverse camera issues. For me, it was working well mostly with occasional fault - even the control unit looks clean with no rust (I guess your unit was very badly affected by moisture going by the picture in your thread). Reverse camera pops up correctly. Maybe the unit went bad internally.

Regarding passenger seat issues, service center will check it. They said fixing blower assembly was not a complex job and I doubt if something went wrong there. I also checked the fuse for the part and it seems OK. Will await for word from service center.

Have spent more than 1 Lac on the car in last 14 months apart from regular maintenance and tire replacement. highly frustrating
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images.../deadhorse.gif
Got the car back last week - Passenger seat cooling and seat adjustment button issue was resolved. Looks like they messed up something when fixing the blower. The reverse camera module needs to be replaced for sure. Service center is suggesting to use a refurbished one for 25K but no bills (and I guess I can't claim warranty). Also not sure about the quality of the module. Still 25K for a refurbished one is too high a price. May go for the new one. Thinking about it.
Old 5th December 2017, 08:01   #517
BHPian

I've been checking various options for tyre replacement on my Passat, and I chanced upon the following:-

The 215/55/R16 97W tyres are available in Pirelli & Michelin and more expensive than upsized 225/55/R16 tyres. Example is Michelin - the original tyre is approx. 14k, whereas the upsized tyre is 11k. Similar experience with Pirelli. I was told its an OEM, so more expensive. Wonder why ??

Am planning to fit Yokohama Blue Earth AE-50 225/55/R16 99W on my car. Any experience with the Blue Earths ??
Old 7th December 2017, 12:25   #518
BHPian

I finally took the plunge and went ahead and replaced the original tyres (Pirelli Cinturato P7) on my car to Yokohama Blue Earth AE-50 225/55/R16 99W since the rims are 7.0J, the max width they can take is 225.

Also the circumference of the 225/55/R16 tyre is only 1.7% more than the original 215/55/R16. So overall a good fit with no compromise on the Load/Speed rating, in fact an improved load rating

I got a very good deal at Balaji Wheels, Nerul, Navi Mumbai.

They also did the the customary wheel balancing & alignment free. Kept the tyre pressure at 35 psi, though the guy at the tyre shop suggested 32 psi. Will see what is the optimum pressure for these tyres.

On driving back home, the car felt a lot lighter & the tyres were quite silent. I am attaching a few pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-unadjustednonraw_thumb_3d92.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-unadjustednonraw_thumb_3d93.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-unadjustednonraw_thumb_3d95.jpg  

rpunwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 13:48   #519
BHPian

Quote:
So overall a good fit with no compromise on the Load/Speed rating, in fact an improved load rating

On driving back home, the car felt a lot lighter & the tyres were quite silent.
225's fill up the wheel well much better and give the car a much more muscular look. I loved the look when I changed the OEM set on my car.

The Yokohama Blue Earth seems to be a new tyre. I didn't have this option when I changed the set on my car. The only difference I see between our sets (I use Yokohama dB Decibel), is that yours has a better load rating. Do share your experience about the ride comfort, durability, etc., once you have used them more.

Hope you have many more happy miles on these new shoes!
Old 10th December 2017, 16:25   #520
BHPian

Even I, like rpunwani Sir, have gone in for Yokohama Blue Earth AE-50 225/55/R16 99W.

On his recommendation and his thorough knowledge of understanding things with his in-depth research (and also because of my very good past experience with Yokohama in my Linea, which i have sold) did i go for 225 of Blueearth series Yokohama.

I had shortlisted the 215 of yokohama but was not happy with its speed ratings. And i just did not think about 225. Only after speaking to rpunwani Sir did i think of 225 of Yokohamas.

So at the same day, same time we both got our Passat tyres changed at 2 different Yokohama dealerships, reason both had only 4 tyres with them. Also speaking to Yokohama directly did I come to know that there is a super shortage of this very series (in this specific size).

After fitting the tyres the very next day i did a Mumbai - Vapi - Mumbai trip. The car feels very light, road noise almost none, grip has increased in a decent manner.

I guess a right choice for price, comfort, driving manners and in all aspects.

Thank you rpunwani Sir for recommending these tyres.

Last edited by Prash : 10th December 2017 at 16:28. Reason: some statements were incomplete that i realized after posting.
Prash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 12:14   #521
BHPian

I have ordered cross drilled & slotted brake rotors from ECS Tuning for my Passat.When I did the 5th year service, the rotors & brake pads were still good (for another year min). Took the opportunity to get them as my sister is flying down this month.

When I change them, I will surely get better braking and the car will look better.

Photo attached for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-962684_x800.jpg  

Old 18th December 2017, 15:02   #522
BHPian

Quote:
I have ordered cross drilled & slotted brake rotors from ECS Tuning for my Passat.When I did the 5th year service, the rotors & brake pads were still good (for another year min). Took the opportunity to get them as my sister is flying down this month.

When I change them, I will surely get better braking and the car will look better.

Photo attached for reference

Ordered from ECS Tuning??? Sorry but whats ECS Tuning?

Which country have you ordered these?

Have you also ordered brake pads?

Please let us know the cost of these as well please.
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:37   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Ordered from ECS Tuning??? Sorry but whats ECS Tuning?

Which country have you ordered these?

Have you also ordered brake pads?

Please let us know the cost of these as well please.
ECS Tuning (website: ecstuning.com) is a US based e-portal that sells car parts, so I bought the rotors from them and had it shipped to my sister who was coming to Mumbai. A word of caution: the combined weight of 4 rotors is about 25 kgs.

I have not ordered the brake pads as the OEM ones available here are compatible with the rotors.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd December 2017 at 10:29. Reason: No PMs please. Kindly share it here for everyone's benefit. This is an open forum where people help each other. Thank you.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 11:39   #524
BHPian

Quote:
ECS Tuning (website: ecstuning.com) is a US based e-portal that sells car parts, so I bought the rotors from them and had it shipped to my sister who was coming to Mumbai. A word of caution: the combined weight of 4 rotors is about 25 kgs.

I have not ordered the brake pads as the OEM ones available here are compatible with the rotors.
The price for these brake rotors is available on the website; I took advantage of the Black Friday sale !

Has anyone faced issues with the door handle sensors? My right rear door handle sensor shows fault when scanning the vehicle. Now I can unlock / lock the car only by touching the driver door; earlier I could do it with any door.

The SA has quoted 14K for replacement.

Appreciate your views, thanks in advance
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 13:20   #525
BHPian

Re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

The projectors in my Passat have developed black spots with age. One light has some diffusion while the other one is almost completely blocked by a huge black spot. Does anyone have any experience with replacing the projectors in the Passat? It would entail opening the headlights. I haven't been able to find out from where to source replacement projectors. Other issue is the auto levelling system as the projectors would have to be compatible with this system. I did an aftermarket HID upgrade on my Jetta and the light output was great. However in the Passat, I would like to keep the OEM setup as far as possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks