Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2016, 18:43   #436
BHPian

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Hello Guys

But my query is, is it worth to buy a 2011-2012, 40k-60k done Passat? Would this be a good choice or is Passat to heavy to maintain compared to Octavia/Jetta?
Prashant,

I too own a 2014 Passat Highline DSG, with 26K on the odo. No problem with 40-60K on the odo.

The only problem I have had with the car is the ABS Sensor, which has been replaced under extended warranty 4 times, most recently Front Right & Rear Right and two years back both rear sensors. Apart from the above, there has been absolutely no issue with the car.

Make sure that the brake fluid has been replaced end of 3rd year and the DSG oil/filter replaced end of 4th year.

The car originally came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyres which have soft side walls and are prone to damage. If the tyres are changed, make sure they have a 94W speed/load rating (as per the original specifications).

I hope the one you are looking at is the B7 Passat?

Cheers & welcome to the Passat Family
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 18:57   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Prashant,

I too own a 2014 Passat Highline DSG, with 26K on the odo. No problem with 40-60K on the odo.

The only problem I have had with the car is the ABS Sensor, which has been replaced under extended warranty 4 times, most recently Front Right & Rear Right and two years back both rear sensors. Apart from the above, there has been absolutely no issue with the car.

Make sure that the brake fluid has been replaced end of 3rd year and the DSG oil/filter replaced end of 4th year.

The car originally came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyres which have soft side walls and are prone to damage. If the tyres are changed, make sure they have a 94W speed/load rating (as per the original specifications).

I hope the one you are looking at is the B7 Passat?

Cheers & welcome to the Passat Family
Thanks a ton buddy. The reply was perfect and to the point. Yes looking for a Passat diesel AT. In fact just saw a highline AT Oct/Nov 2011 merely 16000 kms done. Full service record, immaculate condition, amazing accessories, doors shut with thud like as new ones. The agent who has this car said the owner used very less of this car and it was always parked in basements, away from Sun and rain. He is asking for 14.5 Lakhs so in 2 minds. It's exactly a 5 year old car now. Once I decide (if) for it I will get the entire history out.

Again your and other experts suggestion needed pls.
Old 1st November 2016, 19:06   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton buddy. The reply was perfect and to the point. Yes looking for a Passat diesel AT. In fact just saw a highline AT Oct/Nov 2011 merely 16000 kms done. Full service record, immaculate condition, amazing accessories, doors shut with thud like as new ones. The agent who has this car said the owner used very less of this car and it was always parked in basements, away from Sun and rain. He is asking for 14.5 Lakhs so in 2 minds. It's exactly a 5 year old car now. Once I decide (if) for it I will get the entire history out.

Again your and other experts suggestion needed pls.
I just checked the Indian Blue Book for price and it says 13.17 to 13.97 Lakhs for good condition & 13.97 to 14.34 Lakhs for great condition. Try and negotiate.

Tyres are approx. 16k per piece for the original Pirelli's. If the original tyres have not been changed, you would have to change them soon if the tyres have hardened. That will set you back by 60K. Check carefully for year of manufacture of tyres, softness of the sidewalls, appearance, cracks, wear, etc.

Hope this helps
Old 1st November 2016, 19:10   #439
BHPian

Quote:
I just checked the Indian Blue Book for price and it says 13.17 to 13.97 Lakhs for good condition & 13.97 to 14.34 Lakhs for great condition. Try and negotiate.

Tyres are approx. 16k per piece for the original Pirelli's. If the original tyres have not been changed, you would have to change them soon if the tyres have hardened. That will set you back by 60K. Check carefully for year of manufacture of tyres, softness of the sidewalls, appearance, cracks, wear, etc.

Hope this helps
Yes the tyres are the ones you have mentioned, factory fitted and I know after some years it gets hard. I need a change and yes it is a 5 year old set of tyres and will need a replacement.
Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 19:19   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the tyres are the ones you have mentioned, factory fitted and I know after some years it gets hard. I need a change and yes it is a 5 year old set of tyres and will need a replacement.
Thanks
My apologies, the original rating is 97W.

Suggest you look at other tyres, Michelin Primacy 3 ST which has a speed/load rating of 94W. The Yokohama db has a 91V rating. Apollo also has tyres.
Old 2nd November 2016, 02:58   #441
BHPian

Quote:
My apologies, the original rating is 97W.

Suggest you look at other tyres, Michelin Primacy 3 ST which has a speed/load rating of 94W. The Yokohama db has a 91V rating. Apollo also has tyres.
A load rating of '94' is sufficient for the Passat. It is true that OE spec tyres had '97' ratings, but that was a result of the relatively higher side-walled tyres, and not a minimum requirement as such. The heavier Superb 3.6's were shod from factory with '94' rated tyres.
Old 2nd November 2016, 08:47   #442
BHPian

Great to see the ever growing Passat community. The main reasons I love the Passat are:

1. Engine : 170 PS 2.0 TDi is a gem, its fast and frugal. On a recent highways trip i pulled 18 kmpl that too after driving enthusiastically.

2. Size: The car feels small to drive in traffic but once you start parking it, you realize its huge. Looks really smart in my driveway :P

Regarding the sensor failures, thankfully the Manual Passats are not affected by this, since I have not this problem and know a couple other owners who also did not face these issues even after 80k on the odo. Mine is just 15k.

The tires well, P7s are standard fitment on E and S Class, I love how they look and have not had sidewall issues, I think if one can drive carefully and be wary of the surface, they should be fine.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 09:13   #443
BHPian

I have manual driven for 60k+, have changed 1 ABS sensor recently.
My current tires are michelin. I paid around 54k for that. They are certainly better than P7 for indian conditions.
DieselDelight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 10:12   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Great to see the ever growing Passat community. The main reasons I love the Passat are:

1. Engine : 170 PS 2.0 TDi is a gem, its fast and frugal. On a recent highways trip i pulled 18 kmpl that too after driving enthusiastically.

2. Size: The car feels small to drive in traffic but once you start parking it, you realize its huge. Looks really smart in my driveway :P

Regarding the sensor failures, thankfully the Manual Passats are not affected by this, since I have not this problem and know a couple other owners who also did not face these issues even after 80k on the odo. Mine is just 15k.

The tires well, P7s are standard fitment on E and S Class, I love how they look and have not had sidewall issues, I think if one can drive carefully and be wary of the surface, they should be fine.
I totally agree with you regarding the engine - fast and frugal. I have managed an average of 21.6 km/l driving from Pune to Mumbai. Only that I did not exceed 80 km/hr. On regular trips between Mumbai - Pune, I get upwards of 17 km/hr with speeds upto 110 km/h.

I have had one bad experience with the Pirelli's. Went over a gutter in a underpass in Bangalore. Lost both right side tyres within minutes. Sidewalls were cracked beyond repair. Luckily there was a petrol pump within 50m, and they managed to source a original P7 tyre in one hour. So I used the spare and bought one tyre. Returned to Mumbai crossing my fingers.
Old 7th November 2016, 22:54   #445
BHPian

Hello Guys
I am closing the deal tomorrow, hopefully things go smooth. This one is a December 2011 registered, November 2011 manufactured, top of the line (Highline), AT.

I hope the car turns out to be good. Before i close the deal i plan to take the car to the Authorised service centre for one final inspection and will then close the deal.

Thank you all for the support.
Old 19th December 2016, 15:30   #446
BHPian

I was curious to know if any fellow Passat owner has received any communication from Volkswagen or their dealer regarding the software update for the 2.0 TDi engines (specifically for their Passat)?

My car is in the workshop for it's annual service, so I asked my service adviser about the software update. He said that they have started software updates on the Jetta, but not the Passat. I have been told to wait for some information from Volkswagen, or alternatively wait for the dealer to contact me regarding the same.
Old 10th February 2017, 12:49   #447
BHPian

I have received an email a few days back asking me to bring my car for the software update. Has anyone got their Passat updated with the software??

Also, I have to change the battery as its showing signs of sluggish starting. Has anyone changed the battery on their Passat. The OEM battery is 15k+ whereas I am inclined to buy an Amaron costing about 8k. Suggestions welcome
Old 10th February 2017, 12:55   #448
BHPian

Team, I got the Passat updated last week. My car was in for a regular service so the update was done alongside. I also received a gift hamper that has some pretty useful stuff.

Now coming to the experience, Passat always had a lot of oomph, that has come DOWN a bit. I definitely feel that the car is not as ferocious as it was. The other negative I observed is the fuel economy, Local runs use to yield 14.xx but now I seem to be getting 13.xx. I will not firm up my assumption for Fuel economy though as I have hardly driven the car.
Infact I expect the economy to go up with time, so lets see.

To summarize: The power goes down (or becomes more linear) but nothing too extreme.
Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I was curious to know if any fellow Passat owner has received any communication from Volkswagen or their dealer regarding the software update for the 2.0 TDi engines (specifically for their Passat)?

My car is in the workshop for it's annual service, so I asked my service adviser about the software update. He said that they have started software updates on the Jetta, but not the Passat. I have been told to wait for some information from Volkswagen, or alternatively wait for the dealer to contact me regarding the same.
Quote:
I have received an email a few days back asking me to bring my car for the software update. Has anyone got their Passat updated with the software??

Also, I have to change the battery as its showing signs of sluggish starting. Has anyone changed the battery on their Passat. The OEM battery is 15k+ whereas I am inclined to buy an Amaron costing about 8k. Suggestions welcome
Old 12th February 2017, 15:50   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone got their Passat updated with the software??
The OEM battery is 15k+ whereas I am inclined to buy an Amaron costing about 8k.
Yup. I got the software update done last week. The OEM battery (Varta) is very expensive. I don't think there will be any issue in switching to Amaron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Team, I got the Passat updated last week. To summarize: The power goes down (or becomes more linear) but nothing too extreme.
Good to hear that the power drop isn't too extreme. I haven't managed to try this yet. Since my car is mostly driven in city traffic, I doubt I will be able to feel any difference (unless I take it out onto the highway).
Old 20th February 2017, 13:48   #450
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone is able to change tracks from the steering wheel controls or from the stereo while playing music over Bluetooth wirelessly.

Thanks for your time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks