Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 09:11   #391
BHPian

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Hi Folks. looking to get after market parking sensors installed on my car. Any suggestion for Gurgaon?

I am sourcing good quality Steel Mate parking sensors. I would have loved the flush type one's but I doubt I will find experts to correctly install them. Moreover, I don't want to touch any wiring. Simple sensors with loud Buzzer would do; only tapping the reversing light.
Old 4th November 2015, 09:31   #392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hi Folks. looking to get after market parking sensors installed on my car. Any suggestion for Gurgaon?

I am sourcing good quality Steel Mate parking sensors. I would have loved the flush type one's but I doubt I will find experts to correctly install them. Moreover, I don't want to touch any wiring. Simple sensors with loud Buzzer would do; only tapping the reversing light.
Have you inquired how much the dealership/service center charges for the OPS to be installed on your Passat? A BHPian confirmed 5k and thereabouts for the OPS to be installed on the Polo. If you can make do with the basic OPS system without the HU display, this will be around the same figure for your Passat as well (labor charges might be slightly higher).

Please avoid getting the cheaper sensors/system installed esp. on this sedan. The proximity sensors would jut out of the bumper making it an ungainly sight (compared to the flush-fit paint-matched sensors provided by VW). The one with the display would require an additional CANbus cable to be routed to the dashboard area and would be expensive.

I am surprised a 20+ lakh car didn’t come with something as basic as a parking assist! Is this the Trendline variant? Stupid VW!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th November 2015 at 09:33.
Old 4th November 2015, 09:52   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I am surprised a 20+ lakh car didn’t come with something as basic as a parking assist! Is this the Trendline variant? Stupid VW!
Hi Gannu, Correct. Its a trendline.

VW has weirdly spec'ed up this model; it has premium features like heated seating, all auto dimming mirrors, all kinds of sensors for temperature, rain & light and NO parking sensors. FAIL.

If the Flush type POLO sensors are available for 5K then its a no-brainer. Will call up VW service center and confirm.

Also, on Aliexpress, OEM rear park assist for my car is available for approximately 7k. It is OPS compatible and if connected to the BCM will also display on my RCD510. Getting it fitted locally is a pain and will cost additional 1-2K, my guess!! What do you suggest. I am OK with Beeps only
Old 4th November 2015, 10:03   #394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What do you suggest. I am OK with Beeps only
Call up the service center and get the approximate quotes. Just tell them that you need the parking assist system which is being provided in the current Polo and Vento models. And not the one installed in the Jetta/Passat.

The ones on Ali would definitely work but you need to paint the sensors (and is best done by VW to match the shade), you need to remove some trims inside to route the canbus cables all the way to the dashboard.
Old 4th November 2015, 13:44   #395
BHPian

Quote:
VW has weirdly spec'ed up this model; it has premium features like heated seating, all auto dimming mirrors, all kinds of sensors for temperature, rain & light and NO parking sensors. FAIL.
What!!?? No parking sensors on the Passat? I was under the impression that all the variants came with it. Kind of silly to omit something like this and keep features like auto-lights/wipers, etc.

On another note, what sort of anti-rust/corrosion warranty does the Passat come with? I haven't check the manual yet, but just wanted to know. The rear-right door on my car seems to be developing a tiny bit of rust on the B-pillar door frame, which I noticed yesterday.
Old 4th November 2015, 13:57   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
What!!?? No parking sensors on the Passat? I was under the impression that all the variants came with it. Kind of silly to omit something like this and keep features like auto-lights/wipers, etc.

On another note, what sort of anti-rust/corrosion warranty does the Passat come with? I haven't check the manual yet, but just wanted to know. The rear-right door on my car seems to be developing a tiny bit of rust on the B-pillar door frame, which I noticed yesterday.
Yeah.

Anyway, I remember 5 year year paint and anti rust warranty. Can be 7 too but not sure.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 14:22   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah.

Anyway, I remember 5 year year paint and anti rust warranty. Can be 7 too but not sure.
All Passats come with a 12 year anti-perforation warranty. I will recheck about the paint warranty & revert.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 14:50   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah.

From what I can remember Polo and Vento have lesser paint warranty than Jetta and higher models.
I think its 5 years for Polo/Vento and 8 for Jetta+
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 07:59   #399
BHPian

Quote:

Just checked the Warranty Booklet:-

3 year no paint defects on the body (with unlimited mileage)

12 year no through-corrosion on the body (with unlimited mileage)

You should take the car to the ASS & have it checked out
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 11:01   #400
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs on the anti-corrosion warranty.

I want to change the current set of tyres. The car has covered around 31,800 kms since new on the current set. There is still life left in these tyres but I want to change them since 2 of the tyres are damaged (one being irreparable and the other running on a temporary fix).

Any recommendations regarding which brand & size of tyres I should go in for? I do not want Pirelli since these seem to be very delicate.
Old 13th November 2015, 11:09   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs on the anti-corrosion warranty.

I want to change the current set of tyres. The car has covered around 31,800 kms since new on the current set. There is still life left in these tyres but I want to change them since 2 of the tyres are damaged (one being irreparable and the other running on a temporary fix).

Any recommendations regarding which brand & size of tyres I should go in for? I do not want Pirelli since these seem to be very delicate.
Lo and Behold Fordfreak. I am so glad you asked.

Firstly the size you choose has to be 225/55/16. It has 1.71% additional diameter, which is fine and much needed for Passats on Indian roads.

Secondly, this is the OE size on BMW F30 and Audi A4, so there are plenty of options.
My choice without doubt will be Michelin P3STs. They are very very good.

That should be it, unless you plan to upsize the alloys
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 13:08   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly the size you choose has to be 225/55/16. It has 1.71% additional diameter, which is fine and much needed for Passats on Indian roads.

My choice without doubt will be Michelin P3STs. They are very very good.

That should be it, unless you plan to upsize the alloys
No plans of changing the alloys. Will the bigger diameter be an issue while being put onto the stock alloys? The current stock set is 215/55/16 (Pirelli).

Also, what is your take on Ceat tyres?
Old 27th November 2015, 08:36   #403
BHPian

Quote:
No plans of changing the alloys. Will the bigger diameter be an issue while being put onto the stock alloys? The current stock set is 215/55/16 (Pirelli).

Also, what is your take on Ceat tyres?
IMHO please stay away from Ceat.

When replacing tyres, please ensure that the replacement has the same speed rating (97W if I remember correctly)
Old 27th November 2015, 12:05   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
IMHO please stay away from Ceat.

When replacing tyres, please ensure that the replacement has the same speed rating (97W if I remember correctly)
Thanks! I'm getting Yokohama tyres. Getting the job done tomorrow, so will post the details on my thread later next week. Also, 97W is the correct rating.
Old 28th November 2015, 20:30   #405
BHPian

Hi Guys! Today afternoon I successfully retrofitted cruise control on my Passat B7. Took approximately 4 hrs and had some hard stops, but then it turned out to be all good.

Really excited to use it on the road.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks