Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 15:33   #346
BHPian

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You are driving a 30l car buddy, saving 10k may bring up a whole lot of trouble later down the line. In fact Racedynamics is cheap compared to other good tuning companies, which are a lot more than that. Racechip is cheaper since they use the same box for every car and do not make a custom map depending on the car.
I just checked out the DTUK site. They have 2 tuning boxes, one is the CRD-T+ which connects to the common rail & turbo boost sensor and costs about GBP 330; the other is the CRD2+ which connects only to the common rail and costs GBP 290. Price wise not much apart, but I would not want to mess around too much with the car as I still have the extended warranty till Nov 2016

Would appreciate advice
Old 24th February 2015, 21:21   #347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
I just checked out the DTUK site. They have 2 tuning boxes, one is the CRD-T+ which connects to the common rail & turbo boost sensor and costs about GBP 330; the other is the CRD2+ which connects only to the common rail and costs GBP 290. Price wise not much apart, but I would not want to mess around too much with the car as I still have the extended warranty till Nov 2016

Would appreciate advice
If possible the one which connects to common rail and turbo is better, since it can control fueling and boost. It will be better in the long run IMO. Also the cost difference isn't much. But to be completely honest, if Racedynamics has a 2 channel box for your car (worth finding out), it will be cheaper and as good as any of these.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 23:01   #348
BHPian

I don't know if i'm being finicky, but I have observed another problem with my passat. Lately, I have observed that the radiator fan is always running on my car and whenever I turn off the ignition after a drive, the whirring sound of the radiator fan settles down (this is how I noticed something was different).

It is a loud fan noise that I have previously observed on my fiesta ( when its hot outside and the AC is on too long in stop go traffic). As the weather is good nowadays, I see no reason for the radiator fan to kick into action at full blast.

I have not seen any warnings or errors in dash. Don't know why this is happening.
I have also observed a slight drop in mileage (not too sure though)

Can anyone help me with this?

Last edited by Crazy_Bean : 25th February 2015 at 23:03.
Old 26th February 2015, 01:32   #349
BHPian

I tried to scan the car using VCDS: Got the following error:

9453074 - Fuel Level Sensor 1
B103E 1B [008] - Resistance Too High
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 45

AND

03789 - Terminal 75 Limp Mode Active
000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 43
Mileage: 7335 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2032.14.18
Time: 05:13:16

Not sure if this is somehow related to the radiator fan. I think the VW horror is starting to hit me.

Last edited by Crazy_Bean : 26th February 2015 at 01:33.
Old 26th February 2015, 10:00   #350
BHPian

Based on the fault codes, the fault priority for the fuel level sensor is high requiring an immediate service appointment. The other fault is not critical, but has a long term influence on drivability.

Better to have it checked out by VW.
Old 26th February 2015, 19:48   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
I tried to scan the car using VCDS: Got the following error:
Not sure if this is somehow related to the radiator fan. I think the VW horror is starting to hit me.
I would suggest you to clear the error codes and drive the car for 100 km. Then check whether those error reoccur. Most probably they shouldn't turn up.

If they still reappear, then have the car checked up at VW Workshop.
Old 5th March 2015, 12:33   #352
BHPian

Good afternoon everyone,

This is slightly off-topic but I desperately need your guidance. My 2011 manufactured Passat B7 is in need of suspension repairs. The folks at VW Service gave me an estimate damage of INR 60k with labor and taxes extra for the following parts;

1K0411315R - FRONT LINK ROD
1K0411465K - REAR LINK ROD
5N0407151 - ARM FRONT LEFT
5N0407152 - ARM FRONT RIGHT
1K0412331B - SHOCKER MOUNT
6N0412249C - SHOCKER BEARING

I plan to keep this car for another year or so and to me it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend such an amount at this stage. A friend of mine suggested a look at Khan Market Delhi where he got the entire suspension of his 2011 Mercedes C250 replaced around 2 years back and it’s been running since without any issues.

I had hard luck at Khan Market because some of the shops which I contacted didn't have all the parts with them so I decided to check online.

Now on Ebay.co.uk all the above parts are available and very competitively priced, however I am a bit worried about compatibility and capability of an open market mechanic to replace them. Here are my concerns;

1. Which company manufactures genuine parts for VW Passat? The following are available on eBay - MEYLE, AKD, MAPCO. Out of these MAPCO seems to be the most reliable.

2. When I check the car compatibility list it provides me with the following options under variants - 362, A32 and 3C2. I am only aware of B7 as the variant ID. Can someone please confirm the variant ID for the Passat currently sold in India? I have the 2.0 TDI Comfort line.

3. Also, the folks at VW Service informed me, in my best interest, that getting this job done from outside will ruin the steering suspension and that a lot of customers come to them after failing on similar endeavors. Is this true? I have a fairly educated and dependable mechanic who is will to undertake this job.

Thanks a lot of your time guys.

Regards
E. Pipe
Old 8th March 2015, 10:14   #353
BHPian

Dear exhaustpipe,

Please have a look at your vehicle's VIN. The 7th, 8th & 9th letters/numbers will tell you which model you have. I have a 2012 Highline Passat 2.0 TDi and mine reads 3C9.

Trust this helps
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:55   #354
BHPian

The 'Check Coolant' warning popped up yesterday. On checking the coolant, I found the level to be way below the minimum mark.

I found it kind of surprising since I had never faced such an issue ever since I have had the car. Even more puzzling is the fact that I had the annual service conducted in December 2014.

I could not find any obvious signs of a leak anywhere under the car. The coolant level seems to have fallen even lower today morning. Could there be any other reasons to this happening other than a leak in the system?

I have an appointment fixed at the service center to have this checked out.

Has anyone here encountered something like this before? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_7985.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2015, 14:50   #355
Team-BHP Support

There has to be a leak. I had the same problem and recently had to change my water pump since the seal was defective. It was cost around Rs 7000.

Look for water stains on the left (when facing the front of the car) of the undertray beneath the car
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 12:51   #356
BHPian

Hi Ajmat,

I am a proud owner of a pure-white 2015 Jetta DSG, I am facing a bit of dilemma deciding how to keep the car clean. I thought white was a low maintenance color but am finding a lot of dust is settling on the car very quickly. This might have to do with some construction going on near to my residence. My usage pattern is this, during weekdays I just use my Santro for errands closeby, its on the weekend when we like to go trekking that I take the Jetta out on the highways. So its pretty much sitting in my parking on the weekdays and only sees the roads on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I use a cover but I run a Jopatsu brush over and do not use cover if car is dirty. The way to put on cover is to either have two people lift cover on and off or fold cover on to car and fold off. i.e keep folded cover on roof and unfold all over car
Which cover do you use Ajmat, do you have any inputs on the best cover for the Jetta and where to procure it? How has your experience with the Jopasu duster? Is it worth 625 bucks its selling for on snapdeal now?

Thanks for the inputs on how to put the cover, will really come in handy.

Any inputs on the easiest way to wash the Jetta will be appreciated as well, as thats another dilemma I am facing. Do not trust the local help who cleans my Santro, and taking it for a wash in a washing place is costing in excess of 1.5K a month because of the size of the car
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:52   #357
Team-BHP Support

I bought a heavy duty blue canvas one. The only issue is that after it rains, it is havey and needs to dry out in a back ard.

The brush is worth it. I use it to dust can before putting cover on. I use the ONR waterless cleaner to clean the car every 3-4 days. If the car is a little too dirty, I just let it get more dirty and wash it professionally. During monsoons, I just let it get filthyl and clean ice in 10 days.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 11:21   #358
BHPian

Quote:
There has to be a leak. I had the same problem and recently had to change my water pump since the seal was defective. It was cost around Rs 7000.
Just as you said, the water pump has been diagnosed as the defective part. It is causing the coolant to leak out. Getting it replaced under extended warranty.

Thanks!
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 17:03   #359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Just as you said, the water pump has been diagnosed as the defective part. It is causing the coolant to leak out. Getting it replaced under extended warranty.

Thanks!
Wow, that makes two of us, looks like this seems to be a weak point of the car.

I did not have an extended warranty but it cost me Rs 6000 less than the cost of the warranty
Old 4th April 2015, 18:46   #360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow, that makes two of us, looks like this seems to be a weak point of the car.

I did not have an extended warranty but it cost me Rs 6000 less than the cost of the warranty
Happened on my Yeti too, except my car was out of warranty and I had to pay around 8k for it.

Most Viewed