Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2015, 19:19   #316
BHPian

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Good to see VW finally taking a proactive approach to the Indian market. The B7 Passat is a very capable car and while it may not have the aura / appeal of the big three German cars, it is better VFM, as I say "E Class features/space/comfort at C Class price". The B8 Passat will up the ante
Totally agree with you rpunwani. It drives very well too. I have driven Audi's and Bimmers, Passat comes really close. Also, I think it looks amazing from the rear (dead on). better than the BMW 3, A4, E/C.

Another huge plus I think is the High seating position. Gives a commanding view of the road ahead, and makes such a big car less intimidating. Rear passengers also enjoy the high seating, Makes it supremely airy.

The Passat B8 is amazing, specially in the R line trim, Seeing VWs efforts on the GT models, I wont be surprised if they consider R line B8 for India.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 19:32   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Totally agree with you rpunwani. It drives very well too. I have driven Audi's and Bimmers, Passat comes really close. Also, I think it looks amazing from the rear (dead on). better than the BMW 3, A4, E/C.

Another huge plus I think is the High seating position. Gives a commanding view of the road ahead, and makes such a big car less intimidating. Rear passengers also enjoy the high seating, Makes it supremely airy.

The Passat B8 is amazing, specially in the R line trim, Seeing VWs efforts on the GT models, I wont be surprised if they consider R line B8 for India.
I am hoping that VW retains most of the features of the B8, specially the large LCD screen instead of the speedo/tacho. BTW, I am considering getting a RaceChip for my Passat, will bump up power to 216 BHP. Am a bit concerned about the torque which will go up to 420 NM (the DSG is rated for 350 NM only). Can our learned colleagues advise whether its ok to buy the RaceChip?
Old 13th February 2015, 19:41   #318
BHPian

Quote:
I am hoping that VW retains most of the features of the B8, specially the large LCD screen instead of the speedo/tacho. BTW, I am considering getting a RaceChip for my Passat, will bump up power to 216 BHP. Am a bit concerned about the torque which will go up to 420 NM (the DSG is rated for 350 NM only). Can our learned colleagues advise whether its ok to buy the RaceChip?
I was about to ask you about the Racechip, I will go for it immediately after you get one (based on your experience).
I did write to Racechip a while back and they say that its safe, Although did not ask much about DSG as mine is a manual. I will try to research more on this and let you know.
We have quite a few BHPians on Racechip. They should be able to give us a better Idea. I remember reading that someone got a racechip for his Merc C220 CDi. He should know about the automatic concerns.
Old 13th February 2015, 19:41   #319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Avoid the Race Chip. It is a basic chip and not individually tuned for each car. Forget what they advertise of it. Much rather than that I would pick up a Dieseltronic from Racedynamics. Of course if you want a remap there are Tune o Tronics, and many other international companies too.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 19:47   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Avoid the Race Chip. It is a basic chip and not individually tuned for each car. Forget what they advertise of it. Much rather than that I would pick up a Dieseltronic from Racedynamics. Of course if you want a remap there are Tune o Tronics, and many other international companies too.
Also, Quick Google search returned that the Auto Start/Stop doesn't work with the Racechip installed. Bummer!

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 13th February 2015, 20:10   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Many thanks Akshay for the information. I would like to know how easy the retrofit is and if there are any modifications to the car. I have an extended warranty on my car and would like to preserve it till the expiry in November 2016. The RaceChip is plug-n-play and can be installed/removed in 10 mins.

Appreciate your views / advice
Old 14th February 2015, 01:47   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Many thanks Akshay for the information. I would like to know how easy the retrofit is and if there are any modifications to the car. I have an extended warranty on my car and would like to preserve it till the expiry in November 2016. The RaceChip is plug-n-play and can be installed/removed in 10 mins.

Appreciate your views / advice
Would recommend you look at any other box, be with Racedynamics, or even a UK tuning like DTUK.

A remap will also be undetected by the service people unless there is some major engine work required and they send the ECU data to VW itself.
Old 15th February 2015, 10:47   #323
BHPian

Friends, there is something concerning me. Last night, while out with friends, We were enjoying a smooth ride in the passat, when suddenly some one popped in the idea of seeing how fast the car can do 0 -100 KmPH. We found an empty stretch of road, and this is what I did:

1. Attempt 1: turned the traction control off, and Built some revs, slotted the first gear (Manual Transmission) and let go of the clutch. There was tire spin so I did not pursue the 0-100 time and let go. There was just 1-2 secs of judder-y tire spin and I let go, did not feel nice.

2. Attempt 2: Turned the traction control back on, and did the same again, this time the car picked up well, with little tire spin and ASR light flashing on the dash. Again I did this till the car reached 40 Kmph and let go. Unaware of the consequences, I decided not to try this with my car again.

Now this thought has been troubling me all night. What kind of damage did I do to my car? I would never do anything of this sort again. I hope the gurus can help.
Old 15th February 2015, 11:39   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Attempt 1: turned the traction control off, and Built some revs, slotted the first gear (Manual Transmission) and let go of the clutch. There was tire spin so I did not pursue the 0-100 time and let go. There was just 1-2 secs of judder-y tire spin and I let go, did not feel nice.
Nothing in worry in your first attempt. Even in my Vento if I give 70% throttle in 2nd gear, there is wheel spin. Only if you keep doing this over & over, the tyre may get uneven wear.

Quote:
2. Attempt 2: Turned the traction control back on, and did the same again, this time the car picked up well, with little tire spin and ASR light flashing on the dash. Again I did this till the car reached 40 Kmph and let go. Unaware of the consequences, I decided not to try this with my car again.
In your 2nd attempt you should have pushed it to 100 Kmph since anyway ASR was going to control any extra amount of torque being pushed to wheel. ASR would have flashed till 60 Kmph and then your would have gained enough momentum that 350 Nm torque wouldn't be causing much wheel spins.

Nothing to worry, once in a while one should enjoy the car. These car meant to be driven hard.
el lobo 6061 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 12:26   #325
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2015 at 14:52.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th February 2015, 21:36   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Nothing in worry in your first attempt. Even in my Vento if I give 70% throttle in 2nd gear, there is wheel spin. Only if you keep doing this over & over, the tyre may get uneven wear.

In your 2nd attempt you should have pushed it to 100 Kmph since anyway ASR was going to control any extra amount of torque being pushed to wheel. ASR would have flashed till 60 Kmph and then your would have gained enough momentum that 350 Nm torque wouldn't be causing much wheel spins.

Nothing to worry, once in a while one should enjoy the car. These car meant to be driven hard.
Thanks so much. This is really helpful. I spent last night googling and saw all kinds of stuff like clutch wear, axle damage etc etc. Tonight is gonna be a good night.

Again, Thanks a ton.

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2015 at 14:53. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 17th February 2015, 12:49   #327
BHPian

Hi, any of you Passat owners changed tyres yet? I'm due for a tyre change, and am wondering whether to stick to the 215/55 r16 pirelli p7 or change dimensions and/or brand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 17th February 2015, 13:23   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
Hi, any of you Passat owners changed tyres yet? I'm due for a tyre change, and am wondering whether to stick to the 215/55 r16 pirelli p7 or change dimensions and/or brand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Apurva,

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 are low rolling resistance tyres. So if you are very keen on optimizing the fuel economy, go for low rolling resistance tyres. VW used to sell the earlier generation Passats with some other tyres, after changing to Pirelli Cinturato, the road noise was also found to reduce. I had to change two tyres due to damage, each tyre costs about 16k.

I believe Apollo is selling Vredestein & you can also get Goodyear equivalents for the Passat. The important thing is to check the load/speed rating. Make sure you get W97 tyres which is the rating on the Pirelli tyres.

Trust this helps
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 23:11   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
Had I been in your place, I would have gone for 225/55/16 Michelin Primary 3 ST. They are amazing wheels and perfectly suited for Indian conditions. Also they offer a perfect combination of grip, rolling resistance and noise.

The size upgrade differs OE by 1.6% which is acceptable. This upgrade should also give the wheel wells a slightly beefy look and no impact on fuel efficiency as the engine is more than capable of handling wider tyres.

Cinturato P7s are also good wheels, but they are just too soft. I love them too and they are OE wheels on the new S class as well

Anyway, you have two good options there and try the size that I suggested. I think it should work wonderfully.

Please do post pictures when done with the upgrade
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 10:31   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Apurva,

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 are low rolling resistance tyres. So if you are very keen on optimizing the fuel economy, go for low rolling resistance tyres. VW used to sell the earlier generation Passats with some other tyres, after changing to Pirelli Cinturato, the road noise was also found to reduce. I had to change two tyres due to damage, each tyre costs about 16k.

I believe Apollo is selling Vredestein & you can also get Goodyear equivalents for the Passat. The important thing is to check the load/speed rating. Make sure you get W97 tyres which is the rating on the Pirelli tyres.

Trust this helps
Thanks for your input rpunwani. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Had I been in your place, I would have gone for 225/55/16 Michelin Primary 3 ST. They are amazing wheels and perfectly suited for Indian conditions. Also they offer a perfect combination of grip, rolling resistance and noise.

The size upgrade differs OE by 1.6% which is acceptable. This upgrade should also give the wheel wells a slightly beefy look and no impact on fuel efficiency as the engine is more than capable of handling wider tyres.

Cinturato P7s are also good wheels, but they are just too soft. I love them too and they are OE wheels on the new S class as well

Anyway, you have two good options there and try the size that I suggested. I think it should work wonderfully.

Please do post pictures when done with the upgrade

What benefit other than looks would the 225/55 Primacy give over 215/55 Primacy? I assume grip, noise and rolling resistance would be similar considering they are both Primacy 3ST. Also, has anyone tried the Bridgestone Turanza?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks