Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2014, 12:53   #301
BHPian

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Hi wyswyg25,

Did you manage to have the mirrors replaced? If so, at what cost ??

I would also appreciate if you could let me know from where did you get the mirrors, thanks in advance.
Yep got it replaced from the dealer (Tornado motors). Couldn't procure it from overseas due to lack of availability for 2012 Passat (older models are available on ebay). Paid 10,400 for the pair.
Old 29th November 2014, 18:10   #302
BHPian

Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!

Hi folks, I started replacing the interior bulbs with LED's in my Passat.

I got the idea from ECS Tuning where they sell a LED kit for the Passat B7. You will require 2 nos. C5W (36 mm) Festoon LED Bulbs with 6 or 8 LED's and 11 Wedge W5W LED bulbs with 5 LED's.

I started by changing the Sun Visor lights. These are the two lights that require the C5W Festoon LED's. I am attaching some pictures - they are self explanatory.

If anyone wants to carry out the upgrade, you can buy the parts from aliexpress at a very reasonable cost. Just remember to buy canbus error free LED's.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_2355.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_2356.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_2357.jpg  

rpunwani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 11:11   #303
BHPian

This morning I finished fixing all the LED's in the car, here are some photos.

The bulbs were changed on the Sun Visors (2 nos); Front Ceiling (2 nos); Rear Ceiling (3 nos); Door Puddle Lights (4 nos) and Glove Box (1 no). Total 12 bulbs replaced.

The last picture is of the LED bulb W5W (wedge type)

I guess proper justice will be to take the photos at night - until then enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_2360.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_2361.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_2362.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_2363.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_2364.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_2365.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_2366.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_2367.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_2369.jpg  

rpunwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 13:02   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This morning I finished fixing all the LED's in the car, here are some photos.
The light and bulbs seem quite similar to what one gets in the Skoda Superb and seem a fit case for a upgrade to me. Would you be kind enough to share the cost and sourcing of this upgrade?
Old 30th November 2014, 22:59   #305
BHPian

The LED's can be easily imported from eBay / amazon or Aliexpress. IIRC, the total cost should not exceed USD 30/-. Rest is DIY.

I am not aware that the Superb has LED interior lighting.
Old 2nd December 2014, 05:52   #306
Senior - BHPian

One thread, two members, two cars in two different cities. I am confused.
Old 2nd December 2014, 13:08   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
One thread, two members, two cars in two different cities. I am confused.
Haha! I agree. @rpunwani - How about starting a fresh thread on your ownership experience? Lets not confuse our fellow bhp-ians by reviewing 2 cars on 1 thread.

Quote:
The LED's can be easily imported from eBay / amazon or Aliexpress. IIRC, the total cost should not exceed USD 30/-. Rest is DIY.

I am not aware that the Superb has LED interior lighting.
The LED's look so much better than the stock yellow lights. Could you please PM the link on which you bought yours?
fordfreak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 22:46   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the latest update,

Gave my car to VW Downtown in Mumbai for warranty repair and 2nd service. It turned out that the rear left ABS sensor was faulty. Last time the rear right ABS sensor was replaced on 16th Oct. Mr. Alok who is the Manager and the two SA's Anil and Aniket were very helpful and had the car thoroughly checked. The rear left ABS sensor was replaced and I drove the car home without any further yellow lights showing on the dashboard.

Also took the VW extended warranty for 2 years; albeit at a crazy price. Thanks to all of you who recomemended to go for it.

Will keep you updated
I just bought a well maintained Passat TDI DSG 20K on ODO. Guess what, ABS sensors issue hit me within 2 days of owning the car. All symptoms just as you explained. Parts are not available and will have to be ordered. Since this is my first VW, planning to go the official route to replace them. Next time, will try the parts to be ordered online.

Keeping my fingers crossed on the bill from the workshop.
Old 16th December 2014, 07:20   #309
BHPian

Friends, My passat is back from the workshop and performing well. Will post pictures of the car in the next few days. Have a couple of questions from current owners on the features of the car.

Mine is a 2011 car TDI DSG Highline which I bought as used car with 21K on the ODO.

1. Does the car come with dynamic light assist feature in India versions? How to operate it? What is adaptive cornering light? I couldn't figure out how this works.
Do these features work only when the light switch is in "Auto" mode?

2. Is Adaptive cruise control present in India versions? I understand that the boot release thru leg movement is not present due to some Radar restrictions in India.

3. Does the India version have the Anti-theft alarm system? My car doesn't seem to have it.

4. The Infotaintment system does not display Vehicle information, however the manual says so. things such as actual Tyre pressure - Is this again something that is not India specific?

Many more doubts on the features available in the car. Will go thru the manual and learn. Don't want to experiment on the drive.

I must say the manual is well written with the right cross-references to relevant sections.
Old 16th December 2014, 10:42   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
1. Does the car come with dynamic light assist feature in India versions? How to operate it? What is adaptive cornering light? I couldn't figure out how this works.
Do these features work only when the light switch is in "Auto" mode?
Dynamic light assist has never made it to India on any VW model as yet. It is basically high beam assist, which means you could leave your HL on high beams and the camera/sensors on the front windshield detects oncoming lights and prevents dazzling other motorists without you having to dip the beam. It takes care of the dazzling problem without the driver having to intervene and dip the beams.

Cornering lights are of 2 types. Static and dynamic. Cars with AFS have dynamic cornering (projectors swivel) for higher speeds and static cornering light for lower speeds. I'm not sure if your car model has it but some models of VW/Skoda in India has AFS. I retrofitted the same in my Yeti. At lower speeds, Yeti's fog lamps function as static cornering light (Many models have separate static cornering lamps and fog lamps) and beyond a certain speed, the xenon projectors follow the road with the help of your steering feedback. Static cornering is disabled at this time.

Yes, all these function only when your HL switch is put on "Auto".

Quote:
2. Is Adaptive cruise control present in India versions? I understand that the boot release thru leg movement is not present due to some Radar restrictions in India.
ACC is another feature yet to be provided on Indian models of VW. I am not aware of the radar restrictions but ACC also uses a radar up front to detect vehicles and maintain the set distance. Bigger segment cars however use these kind of radars for auto braking, for eg. the ones you see in Volvos.

Quote:
3. Does the India version have the Anti-theft alarm system? My car doesn't seem to have it.
AFAIK Indian versions don't come with the Alarm Horn. (or do they?) Depending on your cars CECM support, it could be retrofitted I guess.

Quote:
4. The Infotaintment system does not display Vehicle information, however the manual says so. things such as actual Tyre pressure - Is this again something that is not India specific?
To display actual tyre pressure, you need TPMS Gen. II. That is another feature not seen on Indian models of VW/Skoda yet.

The import duties/taxes could be the main reason why most of these advanced features don't make it here. I guess all these features are axed for cost cutting to competitively price their cars in the Indian market. That is why retrofitting is preferred by some in such markets. They come at a price though.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 16th December 2014 at 10:53. Reason: Typo
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 16:53   #311
BHPian

Hi ajaypjayaraj

Thanks. I could see that my car has AFS and I could see it working when I drove to work today morning. The light beam turned along with steering. Other features as you said are not available. The car looks solidly built and great to drive. The length of the car is to be kept in mid while driving and parking.

Wil go thru the team BHP threads for some accessories.
baskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 17:16   #312
BHPian

Can anyone share with me a complete VCDS scan of their Passat. Preferrably Highline or comfortline (post 2011 Facelift model) I am looking to retrofit some parts on mine and doing this will give me a good insight on the parts that are compatible.
Old 17th December 2014, 16:58   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Hi ajaypjayaraj

Thanks. I could see that my car has AFS and I could see it working when I drove to work today morning. The light beam turned along with steering. Other features as you said are not available. The car looks solidly built and great to drive. The length of the car is to be kept in mid while driving and parking.

Wil go thru the team BHP threads for some accessories.
The Passat has Static Cornering Lights. The fog lamp enclosure has two bulbs, the inner one is the static cornering light which lights up whenever the steering is turned in either direction at low speeds of upto 30 km/h.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Can anyone share with me a complete VCDS scan of their Passat. Preferrably Highline or comfortline (post 2011 Facelift model) I am looking to retrofit some parts on mine and doing this will give me a good insight on the parts that are compatible.
Hi Crazy-Bean, I will send you a scan once I am back in India. Maybe end-Dec.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 13:36   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

New Volkswagen Passat expected February 2016. To contain cost, a different powertrain will be introduced.

VW may power the new Passat with a more affordable BS IV version of the new 187bhp 2.0-litre TDi.

Quote:
The right hand drive cars need to go through the process of homologation and VW is likely to want a more affordable Bharat Stage IV (Euro IV) version of the new 187bhp 2.0-litre TDi as well. This is because the Euro V version will have plenty of expensive hardware that VW will want to delete on the Indian car.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...16-393342.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th February 2015 at 13:50.
Old 13th February 2015, 19:07   #315
BHPian

Good to see VW finally taking a proactive approach to the Indian market. The B7 Passat is a very capable car and while it may not have the aura / appeal of the big three German cars, it is better VFM, as I say "E Class features/space/comfort at C Class price". The B8 Passat will up the ante
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks