Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 14:31   #286
BHPian

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Hi Folks,

I too am a proud owner of a Passat 2.0 TDI Highline DSG. I bought the car in November 2012 and have had no serious issues with the car till date.

The only replacement under warranty was the Start/Stop Button near the gear lever. What happened is that a pointed part of the aluminium cladding got unstuck and poked me when I started/stopped the car. The part had to be ordered and was changed within an hour.

I have been through the entire post with a lot of interest and here are some of my observations:-

The high beam comes on instantly when flashing the left lever; no delay with the HID's. It is advisable & preferable to have the DRL on the Comfortline & Highline models switched on always. In many countries like Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, USA, etc DRL is mandatory as they have found that the rate of accidents has dropped by >50%.

The Passat does not come with a iPod interconnect; however there are two options to source this - one is the local VW dealer who charges you approx. 9k for the cable. The other choice is to order it online through ebay - I got mine for INR 800 from Hong Kong and it works fine. I can control the iPod either on the touch screen or with the buttons on the steering wheel. Needless to say, the touch screen provides more control of the iPod.

Fuel consumption continues to surprise me. I have done two long drives in the last 7 months, one from Mumbai to Jaisalmer and back and the other from Mumbai to Coorg and back; apart from these long trips I have done a lot of Mumbai - Pune trips. On almost all the trips, I got an average of +16 km/litre. However, last Sunday, I decided to limit the car speed to 80 km/hr on our return from Pune to Mumbai. We left Pune at 1200 hrs and arrived at our home in south Mumbai at 14:41. I got an average of 21.6 km/litre Have any of you experienced similar consumptions?

On our last trip to Coorg and back, we spent 3 days in Bangalore. My family and I were on our way back from Banerghatta to town, when I went over an open gutter on the right side. I a few seconds, I felt the car dragging. A gentleman on a scooter told me that both the right side tyres were flat. Luckily there was a BP petrol pump within 30 m and I managed to get there. On inspection, there was a split in the sidewalls of both tyres. I was told that a repair would take a couple of hrs. Since we were supposed to go out for dinner and that we were leaving for Pune early next morning I opted to buy one new tyre (INR 16,450) and used the brand new spare tyre. The better of the two damaged tyres was temporarily repaired and kept as spare. Luckily for us, the return journey was uneventful. A couple of days later, I went to repair the damaged tyre only to learn that the sidewall had cracked throughout the circumference, so I had to buy another tyre (INR 15,400). I maintain 35 psi on all tyres. The sidewalls of the Pirelli are susceptible to damage as some of you have reported. Any solution to this?? Maybe increase tyre pressure to 38 - 39 psi? What are equivalent replacement tyres?

The air conditioning in the car is not as good as some of the other German peers, I understand that some Passat owners have also experienced the same. Since my car is still under warranty, I intend to have this checked out thoroughly asap.

For those of you whose cars are still under warranty, VW India has opened up Extended Warranty on the Jetta & Passat. Check out the rates for extended warranty on the VW India website under extended warranty. For 2 years, the price is 75K, is it worth taking the extended warranty??

Your views would be most welcome, thanks
rpunwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 14:49   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Hi Folks,

I too am a proud owner of a Passat 2.0 TDI Highline DSG. I bought the car in November 2012 and have had no serious issues with the car till date.
Hi rpunwani,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience. I own a 2013 light brown Passat trendline.

Passat's Mileage surprises me too. In any highway trip, on any day I get an Avg consumption of 17 km/l.

A nice observation, as mine is a manual,if i drive on 6th gear with no throttle, the car coasts at about 65 km/hr and I get a mileage of 25 km/l. I have tried this on an open stretch for 10 kms after resetting the counters and I got 24.8.
On my other mileage runs, I get a best of 19 km/l.

As I am getting used to my car, I like to push it hard and the experience is very rewarding. On highways, Drive hard, I get 16, if Sedate,then 19. Its a healthy trade off.

One small problem i am facing with my car is that I can hear a mild whistle, at rest or when moving. Surprisingly, no one in the car can hear it. I might be going bonkers here but i dont know. I think something is there. Whenever I take it to VW, even I cant hear it
Anyway, How do you like the sound quality from your RCD 510. I tried both 310 and 510 in my car, and prefer 310 for sound.
Old 11th July 2014, 15:09   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hi rpunwani,
Passat's Mileage surprises me too. In any highway trip, on any day I get an Avg consumption of 17 km/l.

A nice observation, as mine is a manual,if i drive on 6th gear with no throttle, the car coasts at about 65 km/hr and I get a mileage of 25 km/l. I have tried this on an open stretch for 10 kms after resetting the counters and I got 24.8.
On my other mileage runs, I get a best of 19 km/l.

As I am getting used to my car, I like to push it hard and the experience is very rewarding. On highways, Drive hard, I get 16, if Sedate,then 19. Its a healthy trade off.

One small problem i am facing with my car is that I can hear a mild whistle, at rest or when moving. Surprisingly, no one in the car can hear it. I might be going bonkers here but i dont know. I think something is there. Whenever I take it to VW, even I cant hear it
Anyway, How do you like the sound quality from your RCD 510. I tried both 310 and 510 in my car, and prefer 310 for sound.
Dear Crazy_Bean,

Thanks for the welcome. Glad to hear that you too are happy with the fuel economy of the Passat.

I wanted an Automatic and hence went for the Highline. One feature in the DSG car is that you can activate "Coasting" function. Simply put, if you lift your foot of the gas pedal, the gearbox disengages the clutch and the engine idles at 800 rpm, the car moves as if in Neutral. In this scenario, the fuel consumption does not show (max reading I have seen is 85 km/litre). The gearbox engages very quickly if either the gas pedal of brake pedal is depressed. This further improves fuel economy.

Regarding the whistling sound, I have not experienced it. Try lowering and raising the windows a couple of times. Can you identify from where the sound emanates?? Could possibly be the turbo sound to which you are sensitive

I have not heard the 310, but the 510 is good for sound. Maybe not the best, but I mainly listen to jazz & rock at low to moderate sound levels and I am happy with the sound as I use the iPod and clarity is great.
Old 15th July 2014, 20:02   #289
BHPian

Re: Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Actually, there is a workaround using VCDS to enable voice commands in the current models. Prithwi, I believe has enabled it. I have a different HU.
Thanks Gannu_1, I would love to have more details on enabling voice commands as I have a 2012 Passat Highline. Is it possible to activate this on my Passat?
Old 26th July 2014, 14:29   #290

Have they stopped selling Passat? I enquired today in Pune and I was told that its not in production.

Anoop.

P.S. - Apologies if it is a wrong thread to be posted on!
Old 27th July 2014, 11:55   #291
BHPian

Dear Anoop,

VW has stopped selling the Passat since over a year. They are expecting to produce the new Passat due 2015.

You don't need to apologise
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 12:42   #292
BHPian

Does anyone know if the speed/ABS sensor is covered under the Extended Warranty program?

Some owners (including me) have faced the issue of this part failing multiple times (this is the 3rd time for me!), leading to numerous warning lights on the dashboard. There are a number of posts on this thread as well as on my ownership thread relating to this issue.

My car is currently in the workshop for some body work, a broken windshield and this sensor issue. Though they have replaced the sensor, they are waiting to confirm if the job will be done under Extended Warranty as I had requested. The service adviser looking after my car claims it may not be covered under Extended Warranty, but said will check and revert after I insisted it is as far as I know.

Could anyone be kind enough to highlight what is covered under Extended Warranty and what is not? Thanks in advance.

fordfreak
Old 27th August 2014, 12:52   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Does anyone know if the speed/ABS sensor is covered under the Extended Warranty program?

Some owners (including me) have faced the issue of this part failing multiple times (this is the 3rd time for me!), leading to numerous warning lights on the dashboard. There are a number of posts on this thread as well as on my ownership thread relating to this issue.

My car is currently in the workshop for some body work, a broken windshield and this sensor issue. Though they have replaced the sensor, they are waiting to confirm if the job will be done under Extended Warranty as I had requested. The service adviser looking after my car claims it may not be covered under Extended Warranty, but said will check and revert after I insisted it is as far as I know.

Could anyone be kind enough to highlight what is covered under Extended Warranty and what is not? Thanks in advance.

fordfreak

ABS speed sensor is covered under extended warranty. I know a case where the sensor was replaced under extended warranty. This is from Vision Motors Skoda Service. I don't see a reason why VW would not cover the same part under warranty.
Old 27th August 2014, 15:17   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
ABS speed sensor is covered under extended warranty. I know a case where the sensor was replaced under extended warranty. This is from Vision Motors Skoda Service. I don't see a reason why VW would not cover the same part under warranty.
Thank you for clearing it out. Just got a call from the service center to say that they have cleared the job and that it will be fixed under extended warranty. Just wish they wouldn't take so long to get their paperwork in order.
fordfreak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 11:55   #295
BHPian

Side Mirror Glass Stolen

Had both my passat side mirror glasses stolen over the weekend by some nut case. What are the replacement options.

Prices being quoted by dealer
Passenger side glass-5000
Driver side glass with heating element-16000!!!!

I had the same happen with my civic and damages were a total of 3000

Wonder what VW mirrors are made of.

Any other options on acquiring thses side mirror glasses other than the dealer.

Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 12:24   #296
BHPian

wysiwyg25,

Sorry to hear that your side mirrors were stolen. Spares are expensive as VW will change the entire fitting. You can try importing them from various websites aliexpress, etc.

BTW where was the car when the mirrors were stolen? We all Passat owners should be careful & fold the side mirrors when the car is parked in public spaces.
Old 15th September 2014, 12:38   #297
BHPian

Please check the screenshot of ebay.co.uk. It is important to get the model right. I entered a random model and ebay came back with a lot of options. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-screen-shot-20140915-12.35.46-pm.png  

Old 15th September 2014, 12:48   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
wysiwyg25,

Sorry to hear that your side mirrors were stolen. Spares are expensive as VW will change the entire fitting. You can try importing them from various websites aliexpress, etc.

BTW where was the car when the mirrors were stolen? We all Passat owners should be careful & fold the side mirrors when the car is parked in public spaces.
Dont need to change the entire fitting just the mirrors according to VW service center. Even the mirrors are costing 21000 for both. I am contemplating putting a regular mirror for the driver side instead of the heated option drops the price to 6000 from 16000 fro the driver side mirror.

Mirrors were stolen out khar gymkhana 13rd Road Khar West at 7pm in the evening.
Old 15th September 2014, 14:37   #299
BHPian

Please check ebay.co.uk - I posted a snapshot from my computer. You can get mirrors for approx. GBP 9 for the right side heated one and GBP 6 for the left side, non heated.

This will be far cheaper than the 12k for non heated mirrors
Old 5th October 2014, 12:16   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg25 View Post
Dont need to change the entire fitting just the mirrors according to VW service center. Even the mirrors are costing 21000 for both. I am contemplating putting a regular mirror for the driver side instead of the heated option drops the price to 6000 from 16000 fro the driver side mirror.

Mirrors were stolen out khar gymkhana 13rd Road Khar West at 7pm in the evening.
Hi wyswyg25,

Did you manage to have the mirrors replaced? If so, at what cost ??

I would also appreciate if you could let me know from where did you get the mirrors, thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks