Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2013, 19:14   #241
Team-BHP Support

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Can anyone point out what pressure to fill the tyres up to? I usually keep mine at 40 Psi. Is this fine? Thanks!

I suspect the Tyre-Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) has conked on my car again since it hasn't picked up the low pressure on the front-left yet. One can visually make out that the tyre is low on air and the car also pulls to the left; yet no warning light on the dash! Since I have to have the air topped up, I shall deflate the tyre entirely and see if the system picks it up.
Fill in 30psi. 40 is far too high. You will find the ride much, much better too.

As for the TPMS, it works on the ABS wheel sensors. So when a wheel loses pressure the number of rotations it has to make compared to the other wheels if different, so the TPMS knows there is a fault. Unfortunately this needs a bit of good road at a near constant speed to calculate properly and give you the warning. So don't expect any notification when the car is just parked.
Old 9th December 2013, 13:22   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
2. Extended Warranty is usually offered at the time of purchase itself. Even my Yeti was delivered in December 2011 and I got my Extended Warranty along with the vehicle.
!
Just checked my documents. It appears I have opted for the Extended Warranty at the time of buying the car! Since I have made the payment, they will have to honour it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Unfortunately it's different among the VAG entities in India. From what I know, VW offers extended warranty only for Polo and Vento. And even within that I believe the newer ones like GT TSI are excluded.
Checked the VW site (the tab of Extended Warranty). They state it is only offered on the Polo and Vento. So much for having faith in the 'tank-like' German engineering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Fill in 30psi. 40 is far too high. You will find the ride much, much better too.

As for the TPMS, it works on the ABS wheel sensors. So when a wheel loses pressure the number of rotations it has to make compared to the other wheels if different, so the TPMS knows there is a fault. Unfortunately this needs a bit of good road at a near constant speed to calculate properly and give you the warning. So don't expect any notification when the car is just parked.
30Psi!? The recommended pressures written behind the fuel-lid are 39-44. Won't such a low-ish pressure affect the fuel economy and tyre wear?

So I went and got my punctures fixed yesterday. As said earlier, I had filled all four tyres to 40 Psi. The front-left was at 24 Psi and the rear-left was at 15 Psi when I reached the pump! And no indication on the dash despite having driven around 5Km! I have a habit of storing the tyre-pressures onto the system each time I refill, so surely not a case of me forgetting to give the system data to work with. I won't be surprised if it is that sensor issue again (which has been discussed at length over the previous few pages).
Old 9th December 2013, 13:50   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
30Psi!? The recommended pressures written behind the fuel-lid are 39-44. Won't such a low-ish pressure affect the fuel economy and tyre wear?

So I went and got my punctures fixed yesterday. As said earlier, I had filled all four tyres to 40 Psi. The front-left was at 24 Psi and the rear-left was at 15 Psi when I reached the pump! And no indication on the dash despite having driven around 5Km! I have a habit of storing the tyre-pressures onto the system each time I refill, so surely not a case of me forgetting to give the system data to work with. I won't be surprised if it is that sensor issue again (which has been discussed at length over the previous few pages).
The recommended pressure are for European conditions, they haven't altered it for here. Also I think 39/44 is for full load. Just try 30psi, you should like the ride quality. Try it for a week or 2, and if you don't like it maybe try 32-33. But 40 is certainly too high for our roads.

As for your TPMS, it is possible the sensor has gone bad again. And yes resetting everytime you fill air is the best practice.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 23:40   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My friend is in a similar dilemma too. Told him to go with the base variant of the BMW 3 series even if its less equipped and needs a 4-5lakh stretch. Its a much much better car compared to Passat, IMHO. Also the 'base' variant of the 3 series is reasonable well loaded.
I would suggest getting a pre owned variant of either segment. There are some pre owned 12 to 18 month old passats being sold by vw.
Old 10th December 2013, 11:06   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The recommended pressure are for European conditions, they haven't altered it for here. Also I think 39/44 is for full load. Just try 30psi, you should like the ride quality. Try it for a week or 2, and if you don't like it maybe try 32-33. But 40 is certainly too high for our roads.

As for your TPMS, it is possible the sensor has gone bad again. And yes resetting everytime you fill air is the best practice.
Thanks! Shall try this out for a couple of weeks and see the difference. Didn't know that the pressure figures were not updated for Indian conditions. I find it quite surprising that any manufacturer won't have the correct numbers printed for the relevant market.

Car is with the dealer for the 2nd service as I type this. Lets see how the experience goes.
Old 13th December 2013, 13:49   #246

Hi Everyone,

Again sensor failure and braking problem. All my emails to VW directly has no effect. The Service center confirmed the sensor is defective and not suitable for Indian conditions. Over all the car is very good but this specific issue is making me crazy as I need to visit workshop to replace sensor every 1-2 weeks. I think it was a big mistake to buy this car after having a look at the next segment cars. I have got proper support for smaller cars from hyundai or Toyota when I wrote to them.

My last option is to have my lawyer file a case in consumer court as the car is highly unreliable these days with ABS, Braking and everything working related to the speed sensors. Have anyone had any issues like this with any car/model ending up in consumer court?

Thanks,

Anoop Menon
Old 13th December 2013, 17:45   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopmenon
Hi Everyone, Again sensor failure and braking problem. All my emails to VW directly has no effect. The Service center confirmed the sensor is defective and not suitable for Indian conditions. Over all the car is very good but this specific issue is making me crazy as I need to visit workshop to replace sensor every 1-2 weeks. I think it was a big mistake to buy this car after having a look at the next segment cars. I have got proper support for smaller cars from hyundai or Toyota when I wrote to them. My last option is to have my lawyer file a case in consumer court as the car is highly unreliable these days with ABS, Braking and everything working related to the speed sensors. Have anyone had any issues like this with any car/model ending up in consumer court? Thanks, Anoop Menon
There are numerous cases of VW customers being unhappy about the service provided. If u just go through the forum you can see instances where the dealers have taken customer cars for a joy ride and wrecked the car and even refuse to compensate for it. As far as your case is concerned I am astonished at the service VW has given you as you have bought one of their flagship models. Try to settle it with the dealer itself and resort to consumer forum if no other option works out since i would not advise to run around courts, its such a waste of time and energy. Warn them that u will go to the court and lets see if their tails catch fire !!!!
Old 13th December 2013, 21:09   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopmenon View Post
Hi Everyone,

Again sensor failure and braking problem. All my emails to VW directly has no effect. The Service center confirmed the sensor is defective and not suitable for Indian conditions. Over all the car is very good but this specific issue is making me crazy as I need to visit workshop to replace sensor every 1-2 weeks. I think it was a big mistake to buy this car after having a look at the next segment cars. I have got proper support for smaller cars from hyundai or Toyota when I wrote to them.

My last option is to have my lawyer file a case in consumer court as the car is highly unreliable these days with ABS, Braking and everything working related to the speed sensors. Have anyone had any issues like this with any car/model ending up in consumer court?

Thanks,

Anoop Menon
I'm very sorry to hear of the repetitive problems on your car. I'd say send a letter detailing your ordeal and intention to go to the courts should the need be. Just send this (ordinary) letter by registered post and hopefully VW will resolve your issue. It worked in my case.

Also please get it in writing from service centre that sensor is faulty. Or they'll blame you at a later stage to save themselves from possible legal obligations.

My friend has a 2 year old Passat and is facing so such issues.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 13th December 2013 at 21:10.
Old 14th December 2013, 20:19   #249
BHPian

Thanks for thr detailed review. I was confusing to choose between Honda Accord and Skoda superb.
Old 15th December 2013, 14:32   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Again sensor failure and braking problem. All my emails to VW directly has no effect. The Service center confirmed the sensor is defective and not suitable for Indian conditions.

My last option is to have my lawyer file a case in consumer court
Wow! This is absolutely crazy! Can't believe the sensor failed so quick. I had it go on two instances on my car, but not at such close intervals. By the way, have you had someone change a wheel recently? If not done properly, it may apparently damage the sensor being discussed. (I remember someone pointing it out here on the forum). That too may be a reason for the problem occuring.

Try getting this sorted out at the dealer level. Going to court will be a big pain considering the speed at which our country's judicial system moves. Did you not opt for the Extended Warranty while purchasing the car?

Hope your situation gets resloved at the earliest. Good luck!
Old 16th December 2013, 14:46   #251

Hi Everyone,

I have already written strongly to the customer care about my last option to go to consumer court and their only response was this will be resolved in Trivandrum service center. I spoke to my lawyer and he has the document ready which will be first, a legal notice he will send to VW and the service center to resolve the issue.

The service center claims, they have replaced 2 wheel sensors with reliable insulated ones and only the other two would have failed now and will replace both today. They assure the problem will be solved by today. I will be taking the vehicle back today evening and lets see.

Since I am traveling outside on Christmas eve, I have given all documents to lawyer to have my office administrator to be the power of attorney to sign any documents on behalf of me if I need to go to consumer court.

Regarding the wheel replacement, only one sensor had any problem. The two others are wheels which are untouched and not even rotation done by VW I believe since vehicle has clocked only 13K in close to two years. The last time the spare wheel was added by service center itself.

Regarding the extended warranty, although i asked multiple times, they said there is no option for extended warranty for VW Passat when I bought the car in feb 2012.

Thanks,

Anoop Menon
Old 17th December 2013, 18:03   #252

Hi Everyone,

Update: I got my car back and the faulty sensor is replaced again. My request for changing any old speed sensor (read not upgraded with reliable waterproof sensor) has been rejected by VW. Although service center raised a request, they didn't approve. But I am going to get a VW assurance letter that this problem will not happen again. I have to wait to see the letter to understand what is the actionable item, if the problem resurfaces.

VW has no plans to provide an extended warranty unless its a Polo or Vento. Interesting enough that the service center claimed the passats has no complaints other than the sensor problems.

I will update once I get the letter and also if the problem comes back.

Mean time, those who are using cars in the next segment entry level sedans (A4,320d,C class etc), are you having similar experiences? Reason I am asking is I have plans for a new car in 2014 and wanted to know what I am marrying in to. If its the same treatment like what I am getting now, the only brand deemed fit in Kerala at least is Toyota, where I never had any issues with quality or service.

Thanks,

Anoop Menon
Old 19th December 2013, 08:49   #253

Dear friends,

Finally VW India has seen my problems as genuine and offered to give an assurance that any sensor problems to my car in future, they will fix it free of cost (Parts & Labor) through out the life time of this car.

I truly respect the decision from their side, understanding once in a while one car can come up with issues like this. It also shows that they care about their customer which builds confidence for me to buy again from them or their subsidiaries. I got very good support from Trivandrum EVM all through out the process.

Only funny thing is unlike all other brands, VW will operate only through the dealer and never talk to the customer. May be it is what it is. I am happy that I don't need to worry about any sensor issues which is the only issue I have seen in this car for the past 2 years.

Thanks to my good friends in Team-bhp who shared their comments and advises on how to go forward in this case. It also shows that when you knock with genuine reasons repeatedly, the manufacture will listen to you.

Thanks,

Anoop Menon
anoopmenon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 11:22   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Finally VW India has seen my problems as genuine and offered to give an assurance that any sensor problems to my car in future, they will fix it free of cost (Parts & Labor) through out the life time of this car.

It also shows that they care about their customer which builds confidence for me to buy again from them or their subsidiaries. I got very good support from Trivandrum EVM all through out the process.
That is great news! Good to see Volkswagen taking notice and pulling their socks up. Car manufacturers often get a bashing on public forums when things go wrong with their products. But I guess they can be forgiven to an extent if they rectify a genuine problem and handle the situation in the proper manner (rather than ignoring it). It's great that you got proper support from the Dealer's end as well. Happy Motoring!
Old 8th January 2014, 13:51   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen India has temporarily stopped building the Passat luxury saloon. CKD assembly of this car in India, is likely to restart this month.

The 2014 version of the Passat sold in India is likely to feature a few changes in terms of interiors taking a cue from the UK spec 2014 Model.

Quote:
Considering the fact that most changes on the 2014 UK-spec Passat were already available on the India-spec version, the only changes that the Indian version is likely to sport are: auto dimming IRVM, Touchscreen-based Satellite Navigation and detailing changes on the interiors and exteriors.
http://www.cartoq.com/new-trims-of-u...ndian-version/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks