Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 17:17   #226
BHPian

Just called up a VW dealer in bangalore for an enquiry of the Passat. He tells me that VW has stopped taking bookings for the Passat and the new model is coming up in Feb 2014 with an upgrade in feature list. He says that prices should stick to the 35-36 lakh on road sticker.
Old 29th November 2013, 19:44   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
Just called up a VW dealer in bangalore for an enquiry of the Passat. He tells me that VW has stopped taking bookings for the Passat and the new model is coming up in Feb 2014 with an upgrade in feature list. He says that prices should stick to the 35-36 lakh on road sticker.
You mean 25-26 lakhs probably? I have set my eyes on Jetta but can stretch for mid variant Passat max, so 35-36 lakhs caught my attention!
Old 30th November 2013, 17:14   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins
You mean 25-26 lakhs probably? I have set my eyes on Jetta but can stretch for mid variant Passat max, so 35-36 lakhs caught my attention!
25-26 lk would be the ex showroom price of the car . Actually we both are travelling in the same boat. I was fixed on the Jetta but the Passat just feels much better and more spacious. Will check out once the facelift comes and see if my finances are willing me to buy one. Hope VW does a good job in pricing the product well with good after sales and reasonable service costs
Old 30th November 2013, 19:27   #229
BHPian

Quote:
25-26 lk would be the ex showroom price of the car . Actually we both are travelling in the same boat. I was fixed on the Jetta but the Passat just feels much better and more spacious. Will check out once the facelift comes and see if my finances are willing me to buy one. Hope VW does a good job in pricing the product well with good after sales and reasonable service costs
Slightly unrelated, but would like to know the public opinion on "Top variant car of a lower segment car vs. Base variant of the next segment car" debate. Generally, price-wise they quote with in striking distance of each other. Any inputs here are appreciated.
Old 30th November 2013, 21:54   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post

Slightly unrelated, but would like to know the public opinion on "Top variant car of a lower segment car vs. Base variant of the next segment car" debate. Generally, price-wise they quote with in striking distance of each other. Any inputs here are appreciated.
My friend is in a similar dilemma too. Told him to go with the base variant of the BMW 3 series even if its less equipped and needs a 4-5lakh stretch. Its a much much better car compared to Passat, IMHO. Also the 'base' variant of the 3 series is reasonable well loaded.
Old 30th November 2013, 22:01   #231
BHPian

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
You have made an interesting comparison here , i will give you a similar example that could answer your question. Actually it all depends on the two car brands that you finally decide at. Now when you would compare say a top of the line version Verna or a base Jetta. it all comes down to your priorities as what do you actually want and would you be using all the features of the car. I am always of the opinion higher the amount of electronics higher the chances of failure. But then saying that i have found most of the features of Hyundai for ex to be working fine for a minimum period of 5 years. Also another factor is the SNOB value this is what traps the customers. Basically why would anyone say buy a Passat when they can get a stripped Audi A4. People want to be recognized when they pay money and want to be unique, most of them are not concerned of the feature list or the gimmicks but tend to drool at the badges of their cars(personal opinion). If you would ask me I would just be deciding a car based on my needs and what i can afford comfortably in the long run. No point in buying a car just for the sake of upgrading it or to showoff
Thanks
Red's
Red's is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 22:45   #232
BHPian

Quote:
You have made an interesting comparison here , i will give you a similar example that could answer your question. Actually it all depends on the two car brands that you finally decide at. Now when you would compare say a top of the line version Verna or a base Jetta. it all comes down to your priorities as what do you actually want and would you be using all the features of the car. I am always of the opinion higher the amount of electronics higher the chances of failure. But then saying that i have found most of the features of Hyundai for ex to be working fine for a minimum period of 5 years. Also another factor is the SNOB value this is what traps the customers. Basically why would anyone say buy a Passat when they can get a stripped Audi A4. People want to be recognized when they pay money and want to be unique, most of them are not concerned of the feature list or the gimmicks but tend to drool at the badges of their cars(personal opinion). If you would ask me I would just be deciding a car based on my needs and what i can afford comfortably in the long run. No point in buying a car just for the sake of upgrading it or to showoff
Thanks
Red's
You are correct but the comparison becomes interesting when we consider the cars of same brand. Anyway, all the best hunting for your next car!!
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:48   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopmenon View Post
Hi,

It seems this exact problem happened to some people using Passat. I strongly believe this is a low quality sensor? Any thoughts? This is happening to me the second time that too with in 13K Km range. Thinking of writing to volkswagen about this. 3 People I know had the same problem and had to replace sensor for 4500rupees.

Thanks,

Anoop Menon
I used to park my car on the podium in open. In June end, if I recall correctly, I noticed a clean line crack on front wind shield of passat with no apparent mark of any chipping on it . Car was lying idle for almost a week as I was travelling prior to noticing the crack. I was suspecting that the glass cracked due to intense heat inside the car when parked in sun. During these 2 days after noticing the crack, I drove it sedately for approx. 30 kms. It developed secondary crack lines in next 2 days. However, the windshield didnt shatter at all nor gave any inidcation of typical wind shield shatter pattern as it normally happens in case of laminated safety glass.

Referred it to the workshop who arranged to get it picked up. It took almost 1 week for them to ascertain the probable cause of crack as to whether it would be considered a manufacturing defect or an accident repair case.

VW technicians ruled out the possibility of any manufacturing defect. I had no choice but to agree for accident repair. I had to pay almost Rs. 5k for compulsory deduction and adhesive etc , other costs were covered under insurance. I got the car back in 12-13 working days. Learnt on this forum that 2-3 other VW cars have faced similar issues.

I had given my car for first service at the authorised dealership on 30 Sept after approx 9k kms. I had availed pick up and drop service. After returning to Mumbai on 6th Oct, I found that several lights on the instrument panel were not going off or go off and on for no specific reason and several heart stopping warning signs prompted like ABS failure, brake failure, esp failure, tyre pressure monitoring, reverse / front sensors, auto parking, steering warning light, auto start / stop system too not working.

Workshop arranged to get it picked up after a few days. After inspection, I was informed on the 3rd day that car can be picked up. Apparently some ABS sensor had failed which was chargeable. I agreed and paid the amount - approx. Rs. 4 k.

3rd day after repair again same problem occurred. I left the car at workshop on the next Tuesday. This time , I was informed that a rat had chewed a wire because of which the ABS sensor had failed and they will revert soon after thorough inspection. I was appraised on daily basis about the progress. Saturday , I went to workshop again and learnt that they had assigned their best team on the car and so far they had case of repeated failures of sensors once they took it out for test drive ( 4 till then). When I meekly suggested that it could be due to poor quality of sensor, teh technician almost took and offence and said it was no way a possibility since VW takes extreme care for quality specially for Passat and Touareg. He offered me two suggestions- either to wait for them to diagnose real problem or , change the entire harness and due to rat having chewed some wire, there could be a possibility of some short circuit as well. Repairing the wire is not recommended and VW suggests to change the entire harness. I insisted on seeing evidence before taking a decision. The price of harness quoted was exhorbitant. Fortunately, it is covered under the insurance in case of rat bite too. I was not convinced as I could clearly see that only the plastic covering / sleeve of one of the wire connected to battery was chewed, I could see no harm / damage to wires as such which could have caused any short circuit. They also took out each tyre to check Tyre pressure sensor also.

Finally, after almost 3 more working days, car was returned to me with all ABS sensors replaced and touch wood since that day car is in perfect shape. I was charged for cost of 1 sensor again.

After reading similar experience of others in this thread, I called up the service advisor. He has suggested that all of us who have suffered same problem , should write to VW collectively or, he can help if we share the VIN nos of the concerned cars as if, the quality of the sensors is a suspect, it must be addressed now as after expiry of warranty/ extended warranty, we may have more difficulties to face. If you like may please, PM me and share your VIN. I will be able to initiate the communication through the authorised workshop / dealer here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I just got mine fixed too. However, I didn't have the warning lights on the dash this time. Only the Parking Sensors, Reverse-Cam & TPMS were not working. They would sometimes start working after selecting 'Reverse' and then abruptly die within a few seconds. Got the sensor replaced under warranty. This particular part seems prone to failing relatively often. Hope it doesn't come up again!

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Calling the customer care helpline is equally useless too. You can shout through the roof all you want, but VW will never reply or interact with you in anyway. At best someone from dealership MAY call you.

This is based on my experience with a problematic Polo.
Customer helpline is almost useless and I agree. There is no response on email / phone or twitter. But a CRE assigned at dealership calls up to confirm whether issues have been resolved or not and irrespective of the adverse feedback or request for some help, there is little improvement in the situation. As far as following the process is concerned, they seem to be very process oriented and work like a govt PF office officials ( if anyone has visited, would know what I am referring )

However, on road assistance program partners are good and prompt in attending. I experienced it in case of tyre burst I experienced after hitting a corner of the divider while trying to avoid a cyclist.

As far as the car is concerned, it has an excellent ride quality and overall a good purchase, IMHO- as long as we dont have to visit a workshop.

I have got 2 years extended warranty and 3 years AMC. I had purchased car from Thane in Sept 12. Received extended warranty booklet after more than one year of purchase that too with a wrong date ( which dealer explained as the date of booking the car by the dealer or company irrespective of the date of booking done by customer . The explain given by dealer is illogical and irrational since, it would mean that if I buy a car which may have been lying in the dealer's stockyard for say 6 months, a customer would get only 2+ 1.5( 3.5) years warranty despite paying for 2+2 years).

Last edited by shatrughna : 2nd December 2013 at 17:58.
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:43   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
. As far as the car is concerned, it has an excellent ride quality and overall a good purchase, IMHO- as long as we dont have to visit a workshop. I have got 2 years extended warranty and 3 years AMC. I had purchased car from Thane in Sept 12. Received extended warranty booklet after more than one year of purchase that too with a wrong date ( which dealer explained as the date of booking the car by the dealer or company irrespective of the date of booking done by customer . The explain given by dealer is illogical and irrational since, it would mean that if I buy a car which may have been lying in the dealer's stockyard for say 6 months, a customer would get only 2+ 1.5( 3.5) years warranty despite paying for 2+2 years).
That is total poppycock. The warranty starts on the day you take delivery. It is in the warranty documentation. If you read elsewhere in the forum, VW Downtown Bangalore, tried to fob off so,e customer,re in a similar way
Old 5th December 2013, 14:57   #235
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen India has discontinued the Passat temporarily. The updated Passat with minor model changes is expected to be revealed at the upcoming 2014 Auto Expo in February.
This news is as per BS Motoring!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

Last edited by PPS : 5th December 2013 at 15:00.
Old 5th December 2013, 15:35   #236
BHPian

Very true local dealer has stopped taking bookings, I had called to find out about a possible test drive but the guy said they have sold the dealer car too.
Old 6th December 2013, 15:42   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

All new Passat to debut in early 2014!

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-_mg_0931.jpg

Quote:
The 2014 Passat model will be based on Volkswagen's very popular MQB platform and the new model will be launched in 2014. The new model is also expected to get an all-new engine as well. It will be powered by a new biTDI diesel engine that churns out a maximum power output of 200bhp. The other engines will remain the same 1.4L, 1.8L and 2.0L, which belts out a max power output between 130 and 250bhp.
http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...2014-11843.htm

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th December 2013 at 15:44.
Old 7th December 2013, 11:33   #238
BHPian

Can anyone point out what pressure to fill the tyres up to? I usually keep mine at 40 Psi. Is this fine? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
After returning to Mumbai on 6th Oct, I found that several lights on the instrument panel were not going off or go off and on for no specific reason and several heart stopping warning signs prompted like ABS failure, brake failure, esp failure, tyre pressure monitoring, reverse / front sensors, auto parking, steering warning light, auto start / stop system too not working.

They also took out each tyre to check Tyre pressure sensor also.

I have got 2 years extended warranty and 3 years AMC. I had purchased car from Thane in Sept 12.
Why am I not surprised reading about the failure that occurred on your car? This problem seems to be quite common on the Passat going by the posts here (including mine). Wonder why VW haven't managed to find a proper solution to this yet. This has happened to me twice, but thankfully haven't had to pay anything since the car is still in it's warranty period.

I suspect the Tyre-Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) has conked on my car again since it hasn't picked up the low pressure on the front-left yet. One can visually make out that the tyre is low on air and the car also pulls to the left; yet no warning light on the dash! Since I have to have the air topped up, I shall deflate the tyre entirely and see if the system picks it up.

How did you manage to get the 2 years extended warranty? My car was delivered late-Dec 2011 and VW have not offered me the option of taking extended warranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Volkswagen India has discontinued the Passat temporarily. The updated Passat with minor model changes is expected to be revealed at the upcoming 2014 Auto Expo in February.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
All new Passat to debut in early 2014!
http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...2014-11843.htm
Any clue as to what upgrades are being added? Surely this is just a facelift and not an all-new model? Especially since the spy-shots of the next-gen Passat still show the car to be in a fairly early stage of development.
Old 7th December 2013, 11:39   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Can anyone point out what pressure to fill the tyres up to? I usually keep mine at 40 Psi. Is this fine? How did you manage to get the 2 years extended warranty? My car was delivered late-Dec 2011 and VW have not offered me the option of taking extended
1.I am surprised that the tyre pressure you are using is 40PSI. I use only 32PSI in my Yeti.
2. Extended Warranty is usually offered at the time of purchase itself. Even my Yeti was delivered in December 2011 and I got my Extended Warranty along with the vehicle.

I assume that the policies cannot be far different within the VAG Group companies!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th December 2013 at 11:40.
Old 7th December 2013, 11:58   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I assume that the policies cannot be far different within the VAG Group companies!
Unfortunately it's different among the VAG entities in India. From what I know, VW offers extended warranty only for Polo and Vento. And even within that I believe the newer ones like GT TSI are excluded.

Most Viewed