Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 18:11   #91
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Aria Pride 4x4 : White Exterior with Black Interiors

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I was disappointed with TATA not launching 4 X 2 in the Pride variant. Cannot really understand the reasoning behind it considering that the difference between PRIDE and PRESTIGE is only in the lack of ESP, Traction Control and Reverse Camera in PRESTIGE. Also there is only a difference of 60K between the 2 PRESTIGE variants so not a big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
Very true. Well product differentiation might be the reason. But they have kept the Pride version safely above all. What I know is that the 4x2 variants have some structural changes so cant qualify for crash tests. While the Pride I have has a 4 star crash test rating. Cost cutting does have its downsides.

Indeed 2 years is a long time and things will only improve for buyers across all segments.
Indeed the 4X2 and 4X4 have an additional 45 kgs of structural elements removed - which is claimed to be towards 4X4 mechanism. This plus the other components removed result in a net wt difference of 196 kg which brings the 0-100 times to 13.9 sec and I believe the fortuner (of course with the 4X4 mechanism) is at about 13.6. The Aria 4X2 is a rocket for it's wt and segment.

I think the pride variant also has 6 inplace of 2 airbags, + Cruise Control, + SatNav and a larger Screen (for the camera and Satnav) vs the Prestige. Besides the ESP, TC, Reverse Camera that Amit mentions. Possibly both have Bluetooth, am not sure on that front.
Old 16th September 2011, 18:31   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I think the pride variant also has 6 inplace of 2 airbags, + Cruise Control, + SatNav and a larger Screen (for the camera and Satnav) vs the Prestige. Besides the ESP, TC, Reverse Camera that Amit mentions. Possibly both have Bluetooth, am not sure on that front.
^^ You are majorly correct. Here is the latest comparison chart for all the current variants:

Zappex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 21:51   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have few pics to share, These were taken on a weekend jaunt to Lavasa earlier this year.
Hi Zap,
Just went through your pix and notes. Great stuff there ! The Aria seems to be designed as a lean sipper - what with all those figures you have quoted. What were the average speeds when you clocked FE of 14/15 ?
Good luck !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 22:10   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Just went through your pix and notes. Great stuff there !
Glad you liked it! I will try to put in more effort for better snaps.

Quote:
The Aria seems to be designed as a lean sipper
Uhh...You can say so. But FE is very sensitive to driving style. Its not like the Innova where in however you drive the FE marginally changes. But the Innova has been able to get averages of 11-12 km/l while the Aria is capable of shining 'IF' driven well.

Quote:
What were the average speeds when you clocked FE of 14/15 ?
I normally never do speeds excess of 100, The reason the FE varies is when I drive with a light foot and drive with a heavy foot (Pedal to metal).

Quote:
Good luck !
With you'll around luck is always by my side.

Thanks for visiting general.

Your friend,

Zap
Old 17th September 2011, 02:22   #95
BHPian

These are some of the latest shots of my Aria taken about an hour back from a city that never sleeps; Mumbai...

Tata Aria Pride 4x4 : White Exterior with Black Interiors-1.jpg

Tata Aria Pride 4x4 : White Exterior with Black Interiors-2.jpg

Tata Aria Pride 4x4 : White Exterior with Black Interiors-3.jpg

If you like the pictorial updates please leave your comments below;

Until then;

Zap

Last edited by Zappex : 17th September 2011 at 02:27. Reason: Arranging the pics
Zappex is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 05:41   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you like the pictorial updates please leave your comments below;

Hi Zap,
Very nice indeed. The colour of your Aria, the soft yellow street lights etc impart a real ethereal feeling.
Somehow to my eye the vehicle looks very compact in the snaps - though it isn't in real life.
So your version of the dawn patrol ?
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 08:44   #97
BHPian

Hey general thanks for the first hand feedback!

Quote:
The colour of your Aria, the soft yellow street lights etc impart a real ethereal feeling.
Truly, well said.

Quote:
Somehow to my eye the vehicle looks very compact in the snaps - though it isn't in real life.
Yup some how the second snap gives the idea of a very compact car. A reasoning may be that I climbed on a rock to take that pic thus the height shows its effect. Have you seen any Aria's on the road? Also fact is that the Aria is longer,wider and heavier than the Fortuner. It is the sheer height of the fortuner that dwarfs all.

Quote:
So your version of the dawn patrol ?
Not even close! These were just some snaps clicked when I had to make a quick run for some work. The night felt really nice and I decided to try to take a few shots.

For some reason our original dawn patrol was shelved. Time to bring out the plans, eh general?

Until then;

Zap

Last edited by Zappex : 17th September 2011 at 08:51.
Old 17th September 2011, 10:59   #98
Team-BHP Support

What a superb first page review, Zappex. I was hooked. If you are not sure about your career yet, storytelling (writing novels) is something you should consider. The looks and interiors of the Aria make it one of the most desirable vehicles on sale.

Does the absence of dead pedal affect the long distance driving comfort of the Aria?

In GTO's review of the Aria, he mentioned that you can "feel" the steering wheel joints move about when going over bad roads. I have seen this when I drive the Tata Vista too - a not-so-loud "clunk clunk" sound comes from the steering wheel over bad roads. I wonder if this is another Tata problem (like the AC going into fresh air mode automatically). My friend's diesel Manza too has the AC issue, but it happens very occasionally.

Basically, Tatas need to fix the following issues in their cars -

- Understand the importance of dead pedal
- Check the entire AC system of all their cars from experts
- Check the steering noise over bad roads for some of their cars.

Last edited by SmartCat : 17th September 2011 at 11:02.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 18:48   #99
dot
Senior - BHPian

What a wonderful review. My bad that I have missed this thread so far. Gave it 5 stars. I truly felt for you and and your family about the stolen Scorpio. I hope that time has healed the hurt. And it looks like the toothless also helped to ease the pain.

I have not seen the interiors of the Aria so far. How do you compare them with Safari. Probably a dumb question, but nevertheless. What about interior rattles after all these months of driving?
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2011, 01:11   #100
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I wonder if this is another Tata problem (like the AC going into fresh air mode automatically). My friend's diesel Manza too has the AC issue, but it happens very occasionally.

- Understand the importance of dead pedal
- Check the entire AC system of all their cars from experts
- Check the steering noise over bad roads for some of their cars.
The Aria AC does not go into fresh air mode automatically, it stays in the previous selected mode. The Skopa and VW vehicles infact do go into fresh air mode automatically and this is supposed to be a feature. - Obviously not suitable for India, but the Aria has go this one correct.

The Dead pedal learning would do good.

The Steering noise over bad roads in the Aria is relatively negligible, though it is quite substantial in the Safari.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 02:46   #101
BHPian

Quote:
What a superb first page review, Zappex. I was hooked. If you are not sure about your career yet, storytelling (writing novels) is something you should consider. The looks and interiors of the Aria make it one of the most desirable vehicles on sale.
Thank you for the kind words and visiting the thread. Yes, The car is indeed a looker.

Quote:
Does the absence of dead pedal affect the long distance driving comfort of the Aria?
Not really, I don't have a habit of resting my foot on the clutch. But it would have been a really nice addition. Specially for the longer drives. But given the cramped foot-well I doubt where they could have fitted it.

Quote:
In GTO's review of the Aria, he mentioned that you can "feel" the steering wheel joints move about when going over bad roads. I have seen this when I drive the Tata Vista too - a not-so-loud "clunk clunk" sound comes from the steering wheel over bad roads.
The steering is perfect with nothing unusual. It is a bit on the heavier side though., But I enjoy that.Yes, I have observed the Clunk sounds in the front suspension. Coincidentally I too own a vista so I can completely relate to what you say. But the sound is well controlled unless you go on a speed breaker really fast.

Quote:
I wonder if this is another Tata problem (like the AC going into fresh air mode automatically). My friend's diesel Manza too has the AC issue, but it happens very occasionally.
Wow, This got interesting I also purchased a Manza Elan (Tata fans you see). And I am happy to report that both my Elan as well as the Aria have no such AC related problems.

Quote:
Well some of the issues are not faced by me. So cant really comment on those. But yes the clunk sounds were not fixed by the TASC.

For the rest of your query ACM has posted a detailed explanation above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
What a wonderful review. My bad that I have missed this thread so far. Gave it 5 stars. I truly felt for you and and your family about the stolen Scorpio. I hope that time has healed the hurt. And it looks like the toothless also helped to ease the pain.
Firstly, Thanks for dropping by dot. Really nice to have you around. Glad you liked the review. The Scorpio is a chapter of the past now. Toothless has gotten me over it.

Quote:
I have not seen the interiors of the Aria so far. How do you compare them with Safari. Probably a dumb question, but nevertheless.
Do go through my review on the first page. I have put a 'LOT' of interior pics there. Once you see them you will observe that these modern interiors have no comparison with that of the safari.

Quote:
What about interior rattles after all these months of driving?
A very valid question there dot! Well my reply may surprise you but apart from some sound coming from the boot, The Aria has zero rattles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The Aria AC does not go into fresh air mode automatically, it stays in the previous selected mode. The Skopa and VW vehicles infact do go into fresh air mode automatically and this is supposed to be a feature. - Obviously not suitable for India, but the Aria has go this one correct.

The Dead pedal learning would do good.

The Steering noise over bad roads in the Aria is relatively negligible, though it is quite substantial in the Safari.
Thanks for the explanation and the feedback on the pics buddy! You are absolutely right, once again.

Until then;

Zap

Last edited by Zappex : 19th September 2011 at 02:50.
Old 19th September 2011, 11:28   #102
BHPian

Quote:
These are some of the latest shots of my Aria taken about an hour back from a city that never sleeps; Mumbai...

Amazing pics there Zap!! I especially liked the opening shot, very creative. The Aria standing on the side street and cars passing by the road. The hard work seems to have paid off that yellow street light gives a lot of character to the pictures.

Waiting for more,

Furebo

Last edited by Furebo : 19th September 2011 at 11:31.
Furebo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 15:44   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Amazing pics there Zap!! I especially liked the opening shot, very creative. The Aria standing on the side street and cars passing by the road. The hard work seems to have paid off that yellow street light gives a lot of character to the pictures.
Thank you for the kind words, IMO The snaps are not perfect but I will definitely try harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Waiting for more
Sure, there is a lot more to come!

Here is a random click from Lonavla.

Tata Aria Pride 4x4 : White Exterior with Black Interiors-img_0543x_001.jpg

@All: Please do leave your feedback on the pics if you like them or otherwise.

Until then;

Zap

Last edited by Zappex : 20th September 2011 at 15:49. Reason: Alignment
Zappex is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 16:11   #104
BHPian

Hi Zap,

Excellent detailed review. I read the review today only so belated congratulations on owning Aria.

I feel Aria is an excellent vehicle and TATA had all the chances to capture this market (10-15L) only if they had priced Aria around 1.5-2L cheaper. I can understand their dilemma, may be they wanted this vehicle to be a premium vehicle.

How do you rate their A.S.S do you feel that you are getting extra attention when you take your vehicle to TATA workshop?

Now with XUV 5OO out as VFM SUV, Aria seems to lose a lot. I have just one request, when ever you get time could you please test drive XUV and share your thoughts? I am in market to buy a 7 seater SUV/MUV vehicle and am totally confused.

There are many options:

Safari, Scorpio, XUV5OO, Aria, and Innova.

I like Aria but would like to get some competitive analysis against XUV 5OO.

Thanks,

-PK

Last edited by pk_del : 15th October 2011 at 16:13.
Old 15th October 2011, 16:39   #105
BHPian

Lovely review and even lovelier pics. Aria certainly is a great vehicle and a wonderful attempt by tata. I was completely in awe of it till XUV arrived. Now that has made my decision a lot harder

Most Viewed