Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2021, 16:45   #3781
BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Hello Bopannaji,

I did went through your experience with the Race chip on your Thar ownership thread, whatever you have mentioned on the thread about the behavior of your Thar in city driving after race chip, same thing I am also looking for.

I am in touch with few vendors for tuning boxes, but I am not finding them much convincing at this stage. Let’s see what shapes up, race chip would have certainly been the best option but as of now I am banging my head after different options that are available in the market.
Hello Abhik, I wrote to Race Chip and I am reproducing their reply for your ready reference:

"Hello Bopanna,

Thank you for contacting the RaceChip Customer Service.

The RaceChip Pro2 was a previous version.

Now we have a new generation of RaceChips, the equivalent, would be the RaceChip RS.

However, the RaceChip GTS is our top product and is now 100 EUR/USD off, you may want to give it a look also.
https://www.racechip.com/chip-tuning...-overview.html

Should you require any more information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
You may simply reply to this message and a member of our team will get back to you.

M. Melzer-Tovar
Customer Service RaceChip"
Old 16th June 2021, 23:25   #3782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Hello Abhik, I wrote to Race Chip and I am reproducing their reply for your ready reference:

"Hello Bopanna,

Thank you for contacting the RaceChip Customer Service.

The RaceChip Pro2 was a previous version.

Now we have a new generation of RaceChips, the equivalent, would be the RaceChip RS.

However, the RaceChip GTS is our top product and is now 100 EUR/USD off, you may want to give it a look also.
https://www.racechip.com/chip-tuning...-overview.html

Should you require any more information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
You may simply reply to this message and a member of our team will get back to you.

M. Melzer-Tovar
Customer Service RaceChip"
Thanks for sharing the mail, the first time I visited their website, I got confused between the different products as Mahindra Thar was not flashing as an option in the select your car section.

The Racechip RS is priced at 249 EUROS as per the website and it says it has got about 6 tuning maps which is quite interesting.

Let’s see I am not in a hurry with time I will decide on the correct solution.
Old 24th June 2021, 22:08   #3783
Senior - BHPian

Started raining here. I noticed that when the brakes are wet from rain they are super sensitive and quite difficult to apply gradually. I ended up locking the wheels on few occasions. No change in my technique, or in the hardware. The only thing changed is weather. Besides after a while (probably after water has evaporated from heat) the brakes return to normalcy and don't lock up immediately. What's happening here?
Old 25th June 2021, 00:26   #3784
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Started raining here. I noticed that when the brakes are wet from rain they are super sensitive and quite difficult to apply gradually. I ended up locking the wheels on few occasions. No change in my technique, or in the hardware. The only thing changed is weather. Besides after a while (probably after water has evaporated from heat) the brakes return to normalcy and don't lock up immediately. What's happening here?
Old, dry, worn-out tyres losing traction due to very little weight on the rear on wet roads?

Swollen brake shoes in case of being submerged?

Which wheels locked up?
Old 25th June 2021, 06:39   #3785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Old, dry, worn-out tyres losing traction due to very little weight on the rear on wet roads?

Swollen brake shoes in case of being submerged?

Which wheels locked up?
The tyres are okay with about 60% grip left. The rear wheels locked up as far as I can tell though I can't be sure. The car was empty except me and there was no load in the rear.
Old 25th June 2021, 09:47   #3786
BHPian

Quote:
In rainy season, yes the brakes gets sensitive. This is due to the moisture level and water which hampers the braking disc/shoe.

The remedy which I found to be a bit useful are:

1. Get the disc and drum brakes cleaned before rainy season
2. Check the tyre pressure (to avoid locking of tyres) - in rains I move from 30 psi to 25 psi

The above two remedy has worked for me, so check it and keep us posted.
Old 25th June 2021, 11:22   #3787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post

The remedy which I found to be a bit useful are:

1. Get the disc and drum brakes cleaned before rainy season
2. Check the tyre pressure (to avoid locking of tyres) - in rains I move from 30 psi to 25 psi

The above two remedy has worked for me, so check it and keep us posted.
Thanks,
I'll try the pressure reduction. Right now I'm at 30-31. Going to get the brakes checked any way from a Mahindra mechanic whom I know personally. Will update the status soon!
Old 25th June 2021, 12:18   #3788
BHPian

Quote:
I have been observing this on my Thar since many monsoons. Reason is the hygroscopic nature of the rear brake liners. Changed them a couple of times but maybe the OEM quality is of this nature. Once the liners are warmed up - it gets back to normal.
So I have made this habit of gently keeping the brake pedal pressed for about 20 mtr distance which cures this problem.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 15:04   #3789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
So I have made this habit of gently keeping the brake pedal pressed for about 20 mtr distance which cures this problem.
Been doing the same! But I always forget to do it immediately after getting out of parking and first press on the brake is always scary
Old 26th June 2021, 00:30   #3790
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I have been observing this on my Thar since many monsoons. Reason is the hygroscopic nature of the rear brake liners. Changed them a couple of times but maybe the OEM quality is of this nature. Once the liners are warmed up - it gets back to normal.
What you people have mentioned, certainly used to be the issue in old school cars. Luckily in my Thar CRDe I have never faced this issue despite excessive driving in the monsoon. Is it so because mine is the 700 signature edition ( they had sorted almost all the niggles by then) or because it came with ABS.

Last edited by abhikb : 26th June 2021 at 00:31.
Old 26th June 2021, 15:14   #3791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
mine is the 700 signature edition ( they had sorted almost all the niggles by then) or because it came with ABS.
Possibly because of ABS. I'll check with service folks if 700 had different braking components.
Old 26th June 2021, 17:10   #3792
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for explaining and sharing this trait of the pads.

Quote:
Been doing the same! But I always forget to do it immediately after getting out of parking and first press on the brake is always scary
I remember having the same problem in my Royal Enfield rear drum brake.

Solution was the same, drag the brakes for a few 100 mtrs to heat them up and get rid of the soaked moisture.
Old 27th June 2021, 19:10   #3793
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't meet with the mechanic but Wolf Moto guys had come to Pune and got the ECU remap done.

I went for stage 1+. The difference is instantly noticeable and not just the driver but even the passengers can feel added power. Car revs easily now and sluggishness in 2nd, 3rd is gone. This has been pending since lock downs started in March. I was in touch with them and last week they confirmed that they will be traveling to MH.

The acceleration in every gear has increased but the sweet torque in 3rd, 4th and even 5th gear is to die for. In places where I had to drop to lower gear now I can easily cruise in 3rd-4th. The car is eager to leap unlike ever before.
Haven't tested it much on highway and top speed couldn't be tested but 5th gear is much more "free" and easy breathing. Cruising in top gear and overtaking is definitely going to be a cake walk now.

The ECU takes few on-off cycles before the new map kicks into full effect and can't wait for it to settle down! Money well spent. Also gave me two good looking 'Wolfd' stickers - pictures soon.

Will update on highway behavior in two days when I travel back to my home town.
amol4184 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 00:03   #3794
BHPian

Quote:
Couldn't meet with the mechanic but Wolf Moto guys had come to Pune and got the ECU remap done.

I went for stage 1+. The difference is instantly noticeable and not just the driver but even the passengers can feel added power. Car revs easily now and sluggishness in 2nd, 3rd is gone. This has been pending since lock downs started in March. I was in touch with them and last week they confirmed that they will be traveling to MH.
This is indeed quite an update on your Thar, are there any overheating issues being faced and any impact on the FE?

Thar CRDe’s sluggish low end torque is indeed a pain in the special place while using it in city driving, it’s good to see that you have taken the required measure. Do post on your experience on the highway.
Old 29th June 2021, 16:51   #3795
Senior - BHPian

During city driving Jeep started making a whooshing sound around 1800-1900rpm that will go off once I lifted off from throttle. Didn't feel like it impacted much at slow speeds but it had me worried.

Called Wolf Moto guys at night and they immediately diagnosed it (kudos to them). This hose from intercooler to engine had developed a crack. Seems like a common problem after remapping with Thars of this vintage.

But I had to travel urgently back home in the morning and had no time to wait till shops opened.
Used a generous helping of duct tape to seal it and drove the Jeep home. The duct tape also sprung a leak around after 60km and car started making whooshing sound again. Last 60kms I drove with extremely light foot and tried to keep the whooshing low. Did notice some power loss and black smoke. Also scared a few bikers with that sound while overtaking. It's a good thing that the Jeep now pulls much more cleanly and linearly and thus reached home safe.

No CEL or overheating warning. FE seemed normal in fact it would be higher since I really went easy on the throttle.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-20210629_120942.jpg

Edit : the crack is on the underside of the pipe. And I removed the duct tape before taking picture. Also the pipe with brown paper tape is something I did out of caution. Felt like it had a crack. I ran out of duct tape by the time I got to it

Anyhoo, called up both the service centers here and they don't this hose in stock - which is surprising because it's not an expensive or big item.
Will try some third party automobile shops which I am not a big fan of but alas.

Last edited by amol4184 : 29th June 2021 at 16:58.
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks