Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2014, 00:58   #3241
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Is the front bull bar available as Mahindra accessory in Thar a direct fit over the stock bumper or a total replacement?
Hi ruchirtnt, the Mahindra Expedition kit bumper is a direct fit on the Thar. The stock bumper has to be removed and the replacement bumper has to be fitted with the supplied bolts. It takes 20 minutes to do the job. Here is a picture of my Thar fitted recently with the bumper. You can see more pics on my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-crde-4x4.html

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc_2567.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 10:38   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
I have a chrome bull-bar on my Thar only because it was installed by the first owner. I have grown fond of its looks and it has helped out in a couple of minor fender benders.

On the negative side it adds to the noise during the drive by causing some rattles and squeaks and needs to be tightened often. One other issue is that the stock position of the number plate mounting holes get covered and the stock number plate will not fit. Swami has already mentioned the drooping bumper already - that too will happen over time and with kids hanging from the bull bar and people trying their strength with it.
Ok. I got it. This is what Team bhp is for. To grow of one's own experiences and help others not too commit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Hi ruchirtnt, the Mahindra Expedition kit bumper is a direct fit on the Thar. The stock bumper has to be removed and the replacement bumper has to be fitted with the supplied bolts. It takes 20 minutes to do the job. Here is a picture of my Thar fitted recently with the bumper. You can see more pics on my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-crde-4x4.html

Attachment 1318969
Thanks for the help. Can you please quote the price of your accessories. secondly I have read BD sir suggesting not to remove the stock bumper hence I am contemplating option to have something on the stock one itself. another option is just to weld a raised bar on stock bumper as you have

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 16th December 2014 at 10:46.
Old 17th December 2014, 13:06   #3243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Can you please quote the price of your accessories.
The following accessories have been installed on the Thar from the expedition kit -
Front bumper
Rear bumper
Side steps
Insect mesh
Headlight grills

The total cost is approximately Rs. 38K
Old 17th December 2014, 13:50   #3244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I read somewhere by BD sir that stock bumper is must to keep hence I was looking to add something instead of disowning them. Any help? If I have no option then which is better swastik or expedition one?
Dear ruchirtnt - front bumper reply in totality is as follows:

1. Production Thar CRDe bumper is exactly same as that of the Max Maxitruck (the vehicle which carries vegetables to markets). Part number is also same, therefore it has the white reflector tapes on it which is actually not required for M1 category vehicle (Thar) but it is compulsory for N1 category vehicle (Max Maxitruck), therefore good money is spent everyday to give something that is not required! .
2. Production Thar CRDe bumper is held on two channel shaped brackets welded on the base chassis. As the front cross member is tubular in construction, these brackets are required. Ideally, the bumper should have been mounted on four such brackets, there is provision in the front bumper for this in the form of slots. As the Max Maxitruck uses two brackets, Thar also uses two brackets, simple!
3. The best bumper for Thar (MM540 looking vehicle) is the original Jeep bumper which was supplied riveted to the chassis as an integral part. No other bumper will make the vehicle look exactly like Jeep. If you can lay your hands on a bumper removed off a scrapped chassis, buy it, fit it and enjoy the real Jeep look. I have been saying this from day one but nobody has done it so far. This bumper is not fitted in production Thar because it will not meet the "external projections" CMVR requirement for M1 category!
4. Aftermarket bumpers do not make the vehicle look like Jeep. In my opinion, the vehicle loses its charm as a Jeep as soon as such a bumper is fitted.
5. What should you do? I will go for option 3. However, this requires correct fabrication, CO2 welding and perfect alignment during assembly, which you may not be able to do. Therefore, in my opinion, in absence of anything else, please stick to the production bumper. At least it does not look as bulky as the aftermarket ones and you will save thousands of rupees also. Just remove the bumper from the vehicle, peel off those silly tapes, get it repainted nicely in shining black color and refit it (the production paint is done by the vendor, it is not good). In my opinion, if you choose not to fit the silly wheel caps and also remove the production side footsteps, the vehicle will look very macho in the combination of rocky biege and black colors only, as the interiors are also black!
6. You have mentioned that you want to fit yokohama geolander 255 / expedition side black steps / 3M sun film / hella fog lights / roll over bar / headlight and tail lamp grills and insect mesh. In my opinion, except the Hellas, none of these accessories adds value. The tires will spoil the handling and ride. If at all, please get the dealer to obtain the South Africa rollover bar and fit it, which will give value. Please see the pictures of Rajith's vehicle.

Your call! And thanks for your comment on the Audi A3 cabriolet! At 8.5 lacs, if this thingy does not turn more heads than The Audi, I'll lose anything! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 15:01   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The following accessories have been installed on the Thar from the expedition kit -
Front bumper
Rear bumper
Side steps
Insect mesh
Headlight grills

The total cost is approximately Rs. 38K
Thanks for the quote. any discount on accessories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear ruchirtnt - front bumper reply in totality is as follows:

1. Production Thar CRDe bumper is exactly same as that of the Max Maxitruck (the vehicle which carries vegetables to markets). Part number is also same, therefore it has the white reflector tapes on it which is actually not required for M1 category vehicle (Thar) but it is compulsory for N1 category vehicle (Max Maxitruck), therefore good money is spent everyday to give something that is not required! .
2. Production Thar CRDe bumper is held on two channel shaped brackets welded on the base chassis. As the front cross member is tubular in construction, these brackets are required. Ideally, the bumper should have been mounted on four such brackets, there is provision in the front bumper for this in the form of slots. As the Max Maxitruck uses two brackets, Thar also uses two brackets, simple!
3. The best bumper for Thar (MM540 looking vehicle) is the original Jeep bumper which was supplied riveted to the chassis as an integral part. No other bumper will make the vehicle look exactly like Jeep. If you can lay your hands on a bumper removed off a scrapped chassis, buy it, fit it and enjoy the real Jeep look. I have been saying this from day one but nobody has done it so far. This bumper is not fitted in production Thar because it will not meet the "external projections" CMVR requirement for M1 category!
4. Aftermarket bumpers do not make the vehicle look like Jeep. In my opinion, the vehicle loses its charm as a Jeep as soon as such a bumper is fitted.
5. What should you do? I will go for option 3. However, this requires correct fabrication, CO2 welding and perfect alignment during assembly, which you may not be able to do. Therefore, in my opinion, in absence of anything else, please stick to the production bumper. At least it does not look as bulky as the aftermarket ones and you will save thousands of rupees also. Just remove the bumper from the vehicle, peel off those silly tapes, get it repainted nicely in shining black color and refit it (the production paint is done by the vendor, it is not good). In my opinion, if you choose not to fit the silly wheel caps and also remove the production side footsteps, the vehicle will look very macho in the combination of rocky biege and black colors only, as the interiors are also black!
6. You have mentioned that you want to fit yokohama geolander 255 / expedition side black steps / 3M sun film / hella fog lights / roll over bar / headlight and tail lamp grills and insect mesh. In my opinion, except the Hellas, none of these accessories adds value. The tires will spoil the handling and ride. If at all, please get the dealer to obtain the South Africa rollover bar and fit it, which will give value. Please see the pictures of Rajith's vehicle.

Your call! And thanks for your comment on the Audi A3 cabriolet! At 8.5 lacs, if this thingy does not turn more heads than The Audi, I'll lose anything! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi BD sir,
1-5. I agree stock bumper is good enough. What i need is a raised bar like expedition bumper welded to stock one for setting Hella on it.
The below quote has made me more confused on the color part since I am also in love with rocky biege but family likes red
"if you choose not to fit the silly wheel caps and also remove the production side footsteps, the vehicle will look very macho in the combination of rocky biege and black colors only, as the interiors are also black!"

6. the SA roll over bar requires back seat to be removed and I do not want to do it so soon so should i buy a normal Thar expedition roll over bar.

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 17th December 2014 at 15:02.
Old 17th December 2014, 16:58   #3246
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quote. any discount on accessories?
Do not expect any discount on Thar as well as its accessories. Buying a Thar is a big obligation on M&M
Old 17th December 2014, 17:04   #3247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Do not expect any discount on Thar as well as its accessories. Buying a Thar is a big obligation on M&M
No. I have read at many occasions that dealer do give discount on accessories but there is no mention on a round about percentage.
If fellow members can share some figures or cost of each accessory they bought, it will help me and rest to negotiate with dealership.

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 17th December 2014 at 17:05.
Old 17th December 2014, 18:06   #3248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi BD sir, I agree that the stock bumper is good enough. What I need is a raised bar like expedition bumper welded to stock one for setting Hella on it. The SA roll over bar requires back seat to be removed and I do not want to do it so soon so should I buy a normal Thar expedition roll over bar.
Dear ruchirtnt - arre kya yaar! OK, you can take this advice also, for free! HaHaHa!

Hellas: you want to mount Hellas, mount them. You already have the base chassis long members. Remove the front bumper, you will see that the chassis long members' construction is "C in C". You will also see 4 nos M6*1.0 tapped holes in the long members for mounting the sheet metal cover with the company name embossed on it. Convert these holes from M6*1.0 to M10*1.5 tapped holes. Use the correct size drill otherwise the threads will slip. Drill dimension for tapping M10 will be given at the backside of any Mitutoyo 6" or 12" steel scale. Then take 2 nos 50mm*50mm square tubes (excellent section modulus), cut them to the correct length and mount the tubes on the M10 tapped holes, using 4 nos M10*1.5 size 8.8 grade green passivated bolts by using a box spanner and extension. This gives you two planes lifted 50mm above the long members. Mount the Hellas on the holes that you made on the top of the box sections for assessing the fasteners below. Refit the front bumper. Hide the mounting fasteners by making two small sheet metal covers so that an enterprising thief who comes to steal your Hellas will curse me, go to another vehicle and steal the Hellas of that vehicle! I am posting a photograph of my Scorpio MH15BX3184 which shows the 50mm*50mm channel mounted on top of the bull bar base. This was for my Hella Rallye 2000 150W pencil beam spots, it also perfectly placed the front number plate made of 6mm thick aluminum sheet, white powder coated! The vehicle was black, the blue and grey colors are photoshopped! The total cost of doing all this to you will be less than 500 rupees, the total time will be 3 hours + powder coating time.

SA rollover bar: after the number plate is fitted (ahem!), get 1 no RH seat and fit it on the LH side also, remove the LH seat and throw it out. At worst, you'll have to drill 4 holes in the wheel arches, so simple!

Kya yaar! If you want to do things, do them properly otherwise don't waste your money. Most of the things available are nonsense and the prices are so high, I don't even feel like laughing anymore but i'll put the LOL smiley anyways! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-scor5.jpg  

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 17th December 2014 at 18:07.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 10:34   #3249
BHPian

Yesterday, while doing some spirited driving, noticed some smoke spewing out at 3000rpm.
Mine has clocked 2800kms and I did not expect such smoke bellowing out when revved hard!!
Is this normal?
Old 20th December 2014, 16:33   #3250
Senior - BHPian

Today I checked for a Michelin latitude of size 255/65/16 which is costing 30k after exchange which is 14k expensive against Yokohama 255/65/16. Pls suggest if I have to choose between two is it advisable to bear 14k additional. I don't mind investing extra if I can get VFM.
Old 20th December 2014, 16:47   #3251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I checked for a Michelin latitude of size 255/65/16 which is costing 30k after exchange which is 14k expensive against Yokohama 255/65/16. Pls suggest if I have to choose between two is it advisable to bear 14k additional. I don't mind investing extra if I can get VFM.
Have you thought of Maxxis AT771 255/65/16, at 8K per tyre its an Amazing tyre.
Old 20th December 2014, 16:49   #3252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Have you thought of Maxxis AT771 255/65/16, at 8K per tyre its an Amazing tyre.
It is not available at my place in Lucknow hence contemplating between two above.
Old 20th December 2014, 17:15   #3253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Yesterday, while doing some spirited driving, noticed some smoke spewing out at 3000rpm.
Mine has clocked 2800kms and I did not expect such smoke bellowing out when revved hard!!
Is this normal?
Yes, it is normal.
Get over it, and move on.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:50   #3254
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is normal.
What is the probable cause of diesel engines behaving like this? For gasoline, black smoke indicates worn-out piston rings and blue smoke indicates rich mix.
Old 23rd December 2014, 07:09   #3255
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is normal.
Hasn't happened with my Thar even at the 4k RPM. It has done more than 40k kms.

I suspect fuel quality if black smoke is coming out of the exhaust. Try another pump and if the issue is still there then I would suggest consulting a good mechanic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks