Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2014, 12:08   #3211
XD2
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
A quick question, are the Gypsy's headlamps a direct fit on the Thar?
I am looking for clear lens headlamps for my Thar and the ones made by Autopal are pathetic.

Not so sure about Gypsy ones, but there are direct-fit options available. I have tried two:

1. A set of Lucas-TVS reflectors - excellent throw - but had to remove those owing to not being able to find replacement (reliable) P45t bulbs.

2. A set of Hella reflectors - Do a decent job. Were available with the Hella distributor here.

Both were direct fits to the Thar headlamp assembly.
To note, neither of the above were clear-lens.
XD2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 23:16   #3212
BHPian

You could go for kc hilites or even standard led headlights made by ge or truck-lite. I have a set of kc hilites on my jeep, it's a straightforward replacement, the beam spread is really good and it doesn't dazzle oncoming vehicles at all.
a_nan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 10:19   #3213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
You could go for kc hilites or even standard led headlights made by ge or truck-lite. I have a set of kc hilites on my jeep, it's a straightforward replacement, the beam spread is really good and it doesn't dazzle oncoming vehicles at all.
Thank you. Could you share where you procured them from, the model/part no and the price please?
Old 25th November 2014, 10:36   #3214
BHPian

Ideally you should pick it up from usa, its a standard headlight replacement for jeep, KC HiLiTES 42301 7" Round 60/55w H4 DOT Headlight. Get it online, thats the best.
I already had this otherwise would have definitely upgraded to LED headlights (GE NIGHTHAWK LED 7" Round LED Replacement Headlamp).
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_20141124_225957.jpg  

a_nan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 19:13   #3215
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Nice and subtle pin striping. Could you please post a picture of the overall details along the side profile of the jeep.
Old 26th November 2014, 09:22   #3216
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Could you share where you procured them from, the model/part no and the price please?
Do you want better lights or you just want to change the look to a clear lens one?

If the former, I suggest you change the bulbs to PHILLIPS Rally 100/90W (12569RAC1 H4) costing 500 a pair. Gives a real good throw especially at full beam.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 10:12   #3217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Do you want better lights or you just want to change the look to a clear lens one?

If the former, I suggest you change the bulbs to PHILLIPS Rally 100/90W (12569RAC1 H4) costing 500 a pair. Gives a real good throw especially at full beam.
Changing the bulbs to Philips Rally 100/90W with a Philips 130/100W relay, was the first thing I did and I agree that the throw is brilliant. However, one of the bulbs soon conked off and that gave me an opportunity to try the Osram Rally 100/90W bulbs. They are equally good although I can't claim them to be better than the ones from Philips.

Now coming to the purpose of my previous post(s), I am looking for clear lens headlamps because I like the way they look. I did find a clear lens version of headlamps from Autopal, but the reflector inside looks crappy; looks as if it is just plain sheet metal. I am looking for something similar to the ones found on the new Gypsys (please refer the image below), and I was wondering if I could just use the ones from Gypsy provided they are of the same size and are a direct fit. Hence the question, are there any headlamps readily available for the Thar that look like these below?

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-gypsy.jpg
Pic source: Maruti Gypsy website
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:58   #3218
Senior - BHPian

I am continuously following up with Mahindra dealership. I got a recent update from them to book Thar after 20th dec to get a 2015 make somewhere in last of jan or start of feb.
I am truly excited to own one against all odds and no support from my family.

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 2nd December 2014 at 13:04.
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 19:22   #3219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2 View Post
I have tried a set of Lucas-TVS reflectors, excellent throw but had to remove those owing to not being able to find replacement (reliable) P45t bulbs.
Dear XD2 - do you actually have 7" diameter round reflectors of Lucas TVS having assymetric beam pattern reflector glass and suitable for fitment of P45t bulbs? If at all you want to part with them, I will be delighted to buy them from you, please give them to me. I want to fit them on my fully restored 1967 model fiat 1100 delight MRF6466! Please do post a couple of pictures if it is not inconvenient.

Also, please read my post on page 60 of the "Automotive Lighting" thread on this forum. You will get all the information. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 4th December 2014, 23:20   #3220
XD2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear XD2 - do you actually have 7" diameter round reflectors of Lucas TVS having assymetric beam pattern reflector glass and suitable for fitment of P45t bulbs? If at all you want to part with them, I will be delighted to buy them from you, please give them to me. I want to fit them on my fully restored 1967 model fiat 1100 delight MRF6466! Please do post a couple of pictures if it is not inconvenient.

Also, please read my post on page 60 of the "Automotive Lighting" thread on this forum. You will get all the information. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DB Sir,

It was only after following your posts on the thread that I had centered on the Lucas TVS reflectors. There is a Lucas TVS dealer here in Gurgaon - it look to be an old-old shop with these (vintage?) products.

Now I am not perfectly sure on the 'asymmetric beam pattern part'. I had enquired about it when I got these - but the helpful gentleman across the counter was as confused as I was. But yes, these are Lucas TVS round 7" ones and take the P45t bulbs (I had these all weather ones - again Lucas-TVS ones which were the only ones I could then find).

I will try and post some pics tomorrow - and if these are the ones you are looking for and in a condition that would work for you (the reflector coating seems to be a little worn out actually) - I would be more than glad to ship those across to you. I have yet to thank you for bringing the Thar here - my second most favorite vehicle of all time (the first would still be the Indian Army owned CJ3Bs) .
Old 5th December 2014, 11:26   #3221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2 View Post
DB Sir,

It was only after following your posts on the thread that I had centered on the Lucas TVS reflectors. There is a Lucas TVS dealer here in Gurgaon - it look to be an old-old shop with these (vintage?) products.

Now I am not perfectly sure on the 'asymmetric beam pattern part'. I had enquired about it when I got these - but the helpful gentleman across the counter was as confused as I was. But yes, these are Lucas TVS round 7" ones and take the P45t bulbs (I had these all weather ones - again Lucas-TVS ones which were the only ones I could then find).

I will try and post some pics tomorrow - and if these are the ones you are looking for and in a condition that would work for you (the reflector coating seems to be a little worn out actually) - I would be more than glad to ship those across to you. I have yet to thank you for bringing the Thar here - my second most favorite vehicle of all time (the first would still be the Indian Army owned CJ3Bs) .
Dear XD2 - thanks for your reply. I will be indeed grateful if I can have the headlights. The assymetric beam pattern is the one that gives the 15 degrees cutoff in low beam. On the glass, there will be a line at 15 degrees angle. This is as per the European specification.

Thanks for your comments on the Thar. I did it to realize my dream of what my Jeep ought to be. I'm lovin' it, that's all!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 5th December 2014, 13:13   #3222
XD2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear XD2 - thanks for your reply. I will be indeed grateful if I can have the headlights. The assymetric beam pattern is the one that gives the 15 degrees cutoff in low beam. On the glass, there will be a line at 15 degrees angle. This is as per the European specification.

Thanks for your comments on the Thar. I did it to realize my dream of what my Jeep ought to be. I'm lovin' it, that's all!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Here are the pics Sir :
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc_1554-1024x685.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc_1557-1024x685.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc_1559-1024x685.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc_1560-1024x685.jpg  

Old 5th December 2014, 13:15   #3223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manjeet_Singh View Post
Dear Kk,

From your profile I see that you're located in Ahmedabad. I googled the distance from Noida and its a good 1000kms one way.

I know it would be asking too much, but would it be possible for you to courier/ship the parts? I would cover the transport cost.

I don't have PM previleges yet, so posting in the common thread.

Thanks
Manjeet

PS: NCR jeepers/NIOC peopl e, please do let me know about upcoming weekend OTRs. I will be a very willing apprentice.
Hello Manjeet,

I can send you the OE fenders & footrests thru transport. Let me know if this is convenient.
Old 5th December 2014, 16:48   #3224

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Hello Manjeet,

I can send you the OE fenders & footrests thru transport. Let me know if this is convenient.
Thanks a bunch KK! Really appreciate the warm gesture.

My tryst with the 550 may be short-lived. I've been offered a long term on-site role and after thinking a lot, I've decided to let go of the jeep. Team-BHP classifieds and other online portals have been updated, and there are discussions going on with a couple of interested buyers.

For any interested buyers, my number is listed along with the ad.

Thanks again KK!

Manjeet
Old 7th December 2014, 02:15   #3225
BHPian

Quote:
Now coming to the purpose of my previous post(s), I am looking for clear lens headlamps because I like the way they look.
I agree, Preetham, the clear lens headlights are definitely my favourite look as well... especially in the case of the Thar, where the round shape further accentuates the simplicity and elegance of the clear lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
Personally, I'm not a fan of the LED headlights, the hotspots look terrible IMHO. The only exception (in terms of aesthetics alone) I would make are the JW Speaker LED headlights (see pics below of their 8700 Evolution model).

Then again, everyone has their own preferences, and I respect that... it's just that LED headlights are just not my scene
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-1349.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-jw1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks