Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 09:46   #2506
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Dear all, I ran a bit of a speed test on a very open stretch today. I feel the jeep is struggling over 120 kmph and I had the accelerator floored and I touched 125 kmph. This is bizarre because I know the jeep was capable of 140+ till a few weeks ago. There is some resistance and the jeep is not as torquey as before. What else could be the problem?
Dear Suedehead - your comment "what else could be the problem"?, the answer is obvious. As you have changed the orientation of the suspension, the complete driving dynamics of the vehicle have gone out of specifications. The cause of "drag" is drastic increase in rolling resistance coefficient. Yaw and roll characteristics will also change. In limiting condition of articulation, the rear propeller shaft will slip out of its yoke joint. All this can lead to serious safety related consequences. Statistical life of components will also get a negative impact. These are facts, I am just being realistic, not pessimistic.

I know, that you know, that I do not recommend such things to be done to the vehicle. Now you have got a first hand demonstration of why I say so. Take this as a learning experience because at least you learnt what happens when you monkey around with the vehicle. Please revert to production specifications, then the vehicle will work properly.

Dear all - there is a correct way to enhance vehicle capability, you all know that MH01V521 was the demonstration prototype. I hope somebody does something to give the customer what he wants.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 11:56   #2507
BHPian

There was a production halt last year in November when one of my friend was waiting for his Thar. But then it turned out to be some internal logistical problem and not a new version. So, I would not speculate yet.
Old 20th February 2013, 13:55   #2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by axon View Post
Hi. I have booked a thar in Mumbai in January. They said initially there was going to be a delay of a month or so. On repeated enquiries, I was told today that the production is temporarily halted. I hope they resume production soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
Hi,

I am not too sure, why the booking amount wasn't considered in India Garage, but Thar is definitely not out of production. One of my friend is in top management of India Garage Sales, and through him I got an input, Thar mHawk engine in on the anvil soon with new Bolero dash.

mHawk engine is 2.2 L 126BHP, 380 Torgue.

Though this engine is more powerful, the top speed is reduced than the current existing CRDe Thar.

That's the update I received from the known source at India Garage. I am definitely not sure until I see the mHawk Thar on road.

Wonder how they would price the new thar, if at all they have planned to
release a new version? Bolero dash ?! hopefully they still retain those analog speed dials.
Old 20th February 2013, 20:25   #2509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I hope somebody does something to give the customer what he wants.
I too am hoping that somebody does something to give the customer what he wants sir.

My revised list after having driven some THAR CRDe and THAR MDI

1. Steering response in CRDE similar to MDI
2. Rigidity in CRDe similar to MDI [Suspension setup]
3. Atleast LSD [if not locker] in the rear to convert power into motion on select surfaces
4. OE cabin with AC - Not the aftermarket stuff
5. A slicker GB
6. Better brake modulation in the CRDe [the current setup does not have feel above 80 and one does not know when the wheels lock]
7. Better Switchgear and plastics inside the vehicle

Somehow felt the MDI to be more offroad friendly than the CRDe and I am beginning to wonder
Old 21st February 2013, 00:08   #2510
Senior - BHPian

Headers, it has been a long wait for you, your prayers have finally been answered. You can have the new family friendly offroader from Force motors. But Chennai being BS-IV you may find it difficult to register this one.

And if you can stretch your budget a little, you always have the new G63 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-46-crore.html

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 12:02   #2511
BANNED

The story of my thar
I Have been trying to pen my story since Nov and here I am finally doing it.
Since childhood I dreamt about jeeps and I grew up drooling over the MM540’s & Army MM550’s. I also took multiple test rides in these but was always put off by the horrible bone jarring ride and disconnected steering. Sometime in 2006 I happened to hear about the IFS Thar and since then I have been following it and waiting for the thar like crazy. In 2007 my dad issued me Rs 6lakhs to buy a swift but I was hooked up on the thar so I decided to wait for the thar to be launched. But then I got married and things got quiet complicated for the thar. The Thar was finally launched in Dec 2010, but was a disappointment as it didn’t have AC but lucky me, the shape was spot on. So the waiting game continued. I took my wife for multiple test rides in the thar crde at mumbai, pune, aurangabad and goa just to convince my better half for it. Then in Aug 2012 the Thar Ac with immobilizer was launched, but by then the price had shot up out of my reach. It was costing me Rs8.35lakhs OTR. What next? Go in for a used thar, but I dint want to buy anything that had been abused or used in OTR activities, so again wait , wait n wait for the right one. As luck would have it first I had managed to convince my wife for the thar or to be more precise, I had rather driven her crazy with my obsession for the thar. Then things turned up the way I was praying for and I finally found a new thar crde which had been used with tender loving care for only 1400kms and it also fit my budget. Finally after having gotten my friends to check out the thar, I got it home on the night of Diwali 2012. So here I am now a proud owner of a thar crde my dream vehicle and have started tinkering with it, firstly alloys and the same tires that were on the fabled 521 of which BD sir is so proud off. There sure are a couple of things to work on before its ready for use as a full time family vehicle. (1) I need to get the torsion bar setting changed to soften the front end a little (2) Thinking of CFL’s for the rear (3)Roll cage- hopefully will stiffen the whole body and hold it together better (4) Hardtop from prabhu/bimbra . Sure I have a tight budget but will work out on these issues slowly over a period of few months/a year or two. I always log on to Teambhp for help and it sure has given me a lot of information. Special thanks to BD sir, Bopanna and others for answering some of my queries. As far as my observation goes the THAR is the most discussed vehicle on the forum. Now I am trying to get myself enrolled for the Mahindra great escape so let’s see how things work out and hope to meet more enthusiasts like me there. LONG LIVE THE THAR N HAPPY THARRING EVERYONE.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc06245.jpg  

Drlmtukkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 13:14   #2512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
The story of my thar
I Have been trying to pen my story since Nov and here I am finally doing it. up
Hey,
Congratulations !

You are at right place in right company. Please great us with more pictures of the beast in action.

Thanks,
Vishal.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 21st February 2013 at 13:16.
Old 21st February 2013, 15:32   #2513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
As far as my observation goes the THAR is the most discussed vehicle on the forum
Dear Drlmtukkar - you sure are a lucky guy to get an almost new vehicle at a less than new price, so congratulations and welcome. Thanks for your gracious comment above, I knew it but I wanted someone else to say it. This comment once again proves that the Jeep shape is timeless and it must not be changed. If it is changed, it will be the beginning of the end of the vehicle. I request you to refrain from deviating from specifications, otherwise your vehicle will not work properly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 21:50   #2514
BHPian

Hi All,

My Thar is back all swanky and good. Thank you Amolpol, Rajith & Dhanush.

It was not a hub problem after all but a stuck gear. All sorted out by ASC under warranty and the jeeps a dream to drive. Taking her out to the beach this weekend and I will start my travellogue / owner experience post that.

Cheers,

Suedehead
Old 21st February 2013, 23:02   #2515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It was not a hub problem after all but a stuck gear.

Cheers,

Suedehead
Can you elaborate on the stuck gear part?
Old 22nd February 2013, 22:31   #2516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Can you elaborate on the stuck gear part?
Dear Tejus,

I reply with the assured risk of sounding silly. From what I understood, 4x4 was not disengaging and the gear responsible for doing so went kaput. I asked if it was the hubs and was told, no; the hubs are fine. What mattered more to me that the jeep was as good as new.

My only disclaimer here being, I am not an engineer. I trust you will be able to forgive my very basic answer.

Sincerely,

Suedehead
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:09   #2517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From what I understood, 4x4 was not disengaging and the gear responsible for doing so went kaput. I asked if it was the hubs and was told, no; the hubs are fine. Suedehead
Dear Suedehead - it is difficult to believe this answer. Who was the dealer? Please PM me, I'll try and get the details.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th February 2013, 22:20   #2518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Suedehead - it is difficult to believe this answer. Who was the dealer? Please PM me, I'll try and get the details.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Sir,

I have sent you a PM with regards to this.

Sincere regards,

Suedehead
Old 27th February 2013, 16:35   #2519
BHPian

Re: Another new Thar on TBHP, need Color / Tire suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Hi all, after spending the past fortnight in exploring the pre-owned route I have now decided to go for a brand new Thar. Will be negotiating and closing within next 7-10 days.

Any suggestions on Mist Silver vs. Rocky Beige?

Local tyre wala's are recommending that I speak to the dealership beforehand and ask for Bridgestone OE tires as they will fetch me the maximum resale.

They are also recommending the 255/65/16 Yoko Geolander. Is this a good choice, or can I go to 275 as well. And what are the alternatives that I should consider?

Hi,

Needed help regarding brake up-grade on Thar. Looking for your mobile no .....
Old 1st March 2013, 15:07   #2520
Senior - BHPian

As per the new budget 2013...

The government defined an SUV/Utility vehicle as a vehicle that has an engine capacity exceeding 1500 cc, is over 4000mm in length and has a ground clearance of 170mm and above. If a vehicle meets all the three criteria, it will face a higher excise duty.

So my question is will we see a Thar with Quanto engine?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks