Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2012, 15:00   #2431
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Dear Vishal - congratulations in realizing my dream once more! I have sent you a PM. Let's catch up in Pune sometime next week. Please do call and drive safe.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 11:14   #2432
BHPian

We were in a Mahindra Thar, which ironically wasn’t powered by the 2.5-litre CRDe motor that does duty in the regular Thar. Instead our vehicle was powered by the Scorpio’s 2.2-litre mHawk engine which is more powerful than the regular Thar. The vehicle also featured the instrument cluster and steering wheel from the Scorpio. Inherently the biggest problem we faced with the mHawk powered Thar was clutch burn and we were told not to half clutch!

Read more at http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/mahind...AR46jAspxwd.99

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ar-crde-8.html
Post # 109 & 112
So hopefully the " Mhawk" is going to be in the upcoming refreshed Thar , and the interiors are getting better , along with better brakes .

Old 7th January 2013, 11:16   #2433
BANNED

I happened to read about the italian hardtop on cpbopanna's thar. Any idea where is it available and how much would it cost here in india.
Old 7th January 2013, 12:22   #2434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
I happened to read about the italian hardtop on cpbopanna's thar. Any idea where is it available and how much would it cost here in india.
Please PM your contact details, I shall call you
Old 7th January 2013, 12:40   #2435
BANNED

Dear Mr C P Bopanna, I have gone through all your post on the hardtp and managaed to find out the cost of the Italian hardtop and it is close to Rs2lacs. Sure your Thar looks wonderful with this hardtop but I cant afford to spend a fortune on the hardtop. Happy Tharring sir. Will be i touch. I have got a couple of other queries which experienced people like you will be able to help me out with definitely. Sir you can sms me your cell no. it'll be a great speaking to thar owner like you.
Thank you
Old 7th January 2013, 14:39   #2436
BHPian

Query on compatible Jeep accessories (gear knob) for the Thar

Apologies if this has been asked before or has been posted before (I did search and could not find it)

I wanted to know if any members here have managed to change the gear knob on the Thar?

Specifically, I am looking at this part which fits the Jeep Wrangler (TJ) and the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (TJ)

http://ok4wd.com/drake-off-road-bill...angler-tj.html

Since I have changed the Thar front seats to the Scorpio seats with arm-rests, a bit of extra length will help drivers with little less arm reach, plus it looks quite nice. Are there any specifications on the thread fit I should be looking at?

Inputs mightily appreciated!
Old 9th January 2013, 12:47   #2437
BHPian

I have the CRD'e thar and love everything about it. I just need to know if its possible to install a Turbo cool down timer. If there is one which i can retrofit with the existing ignition cables instead of splicing them. I am also worried about it interfering with the engine immobiliser.

Appreciate some inputs from the technical gurus on this thread.
Old 9th January 2013, 15:16   #2438
BHPian

Re: Query on compatible Jeep accessories (gear knob) for the Thar

I have changed the knob on mine...just pulled the old one out and fit the new one in. Like the one you have posted. Will take a pic of mine and post it soon on my ownership thread.

Regards,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before or has been posted before (I did search and could not find it)

I wanted to know if any members here have managed to change the gear knob on the Thar?

Specifically, I am looking at this part which fits the Jeep Wrangler (TJ) and the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (TJ)

http://ok4wd.com/drake-off-road-bill...angler-tj.html

Since I have changed the Thar front seats to the Scorpio seats with arm-rests, a bit of extra length will help drivers with little less arm reach, plus it looks quite nice. Are there any specifications on the thread fit I should be looking at?

Inputs mightily appreciated!
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 01:51   #2439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
I have changed the knob on mine...just pulled the old one out and fit the new one in. Like the one you have posted. Will take a pic of mine and post it soon on my ownership thread.

Regards,
Manas

Manas that's superb, I have ordered it, and it's a decent price too, will wait for your pics.

Cheers
Old 12th January 2013, 19:11   #2440
BHPian

THAR SEAT REPLACEMENT

moderators please move this post to suitable thread if not fit for this one....

since i bought the thar i have been extremely dissatisfied with the comfort of the seats especially thigh support which for me is a big deal over long drives. after seeing hillythar's (thanks) front scorpio seats with arm-rests i went over to the dealer from whom i bought my thar to do the same.

he asked me to try the Xylo E8 seats instead and indeed they were better than the scorpio seats in terms of thigh support. They have additional lumbar support adjustment and i felt that the cushioning is better.

i also noticed that replacing BOTH the OEM thar front seats with scorpio armrest seats eliminates the possibility of getting to the rear seats from the front.

i dont want to do that since in the 2 months i have used the thar, i have realised that getting in from the front is much more convenient than from the back cos the rear door is the pain to open by default and supplemented by the expedition rear bumper it become even more cumbersome.

also since i am planning to get a hard-top installed soon (yet to decide which one though) the rear door for entry/egress shall be more of a pain.

I wouldnt like to use 2 captain seats at the back with space in between for moving as the seats mount really high on the wheel arches unless some modification to bodywork is done. Also using a 2-3 seater at the back gives more seating/lying down flexibility in long journeys.

so heres what i am planning to do as of now. any advise from other Thar owners / Jeep gurus is asked for and welcomed :
1) Remove thar OEM driver seat and replace with Xylo E8 driver seat with arm-rest.
2) Remove both rear bench seats and fix a front facing Bolero XL last row 2 seater with some space at the back left for luggage.
3) Most importantly, for front entry/exit, install a Xylo second row Left Hand folding type captain seat in place of OEM co-driver seat.

The drawbacks i see with this arrangement are:
1) All the existing seats are rendered useless.
2) Fixing the folding seat in place of co-driver seat will require some modification to bodywork especially to fix the mounts on the floor which catch the locking mechanism.
3) The whole arrangement is costing me Rs.42,500 and thats the cost of the seats only! I m sure all inclusive its gonna go above 50k. Its a steep price to pay but i am ready to do it only once i am sure that this is the right thing to do.

Need lots of advise before jumping into this.... So let it roll guys

Regards,
Ar.Naved.
Enveee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 17:43   #2441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post
THAR SEAT REPLACEMENT

1) Remove thar OEM driver seat and replace with Xylo E8 driver seat with arm-rest.
2) Remove both rear bench seats and fix a front facing Bolero XL last row 2 seater with some space at the back left for luggage.
3) Most importantly, for front entry/exit, install a Xylo second row Left Hand folding type captain seat in place of OEM co-driver seat.

All combinations will be a disappointment, incl current one the stock, so strictly speaking, remove back seat and put beddings!. If you find long journey awful for your co travellers, go for 3. entry/exit easier, lug space and recliner capacity is higher (atleast money spent will reconcile you to happiness).
Make sure you freeze hardtop version, the seat height/location is linked to its dimensions.

Last edited by vnambiar : 14th January 2013 at 17:45. Reason: add comments
vnambiar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 23:32   #2442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnambiar View Post

All combinations will be a disappointment, incl current one the stock, so strictly speaking, remove back seat and put beddings!. If you find long journey awful for your co travellers, go for 3. entry/exit easier, lug space and recliner capacity is higher (atleast money spent will reconcile you to happiness).
Make sure you freeze hardtop version, the seat height/location is linked to its dimensions.
Thanks for your frank opinion on this. Wish i could go with the three seat arrangement but with 2 kids and wife its just not possible.

Also what i mentioned is not 3 combinations but 3 steps to an arrangement.

I know i have to freeze the hardtop first but i really can't decide between the hyderabad and the mahindra customisation hardtops.

The hyderabad HT attracts me for its openable sunroof and height options but lets down on the finishing front.

The mahindra customisation HT seems to be the best finished of the indian tops but lacks sunroof and requires me to send the Thar to mumbai for 1-2 months for installation!

Price wise the difference isn't much....

Hope to get this sorted out soon.

Thanks.

Ar. Naved
Old 15th January 2013, 07:19   #2443
BHPian

Which one is the mahindra HT. I nerve heard that mahindra was selling a HT officially.
Any links to the pics or article on this HT
Old 15th January 2013, 13:10   #2444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post

The hyderabad HT attracts me for its openable sunroof and height options but lets down on the finishing front.

The mahindra customisation HT seems to be the best finished of the indian tops but lacks sunroof and requires me to send the Thar to mumbai for 1-2 months for installation!

Price wise the difference isn't much....

Hope to get this sorted out soon.

Thanks.

Ar. Naved

I wouldn't for for any hard top with a sunroof attached. possilibties of leaking over a period of time and continual usage. So if you like the Hyderabad HT then try to get it without the sunroofs. I would have done the same but my Thar is in Goa, so cant imagine how I could get it there.

The other option is the hard top offered by Brimba. It has the looks and I believe that it comes in 3 pieces so its easily removable. It doesnt cost a lot as well. And the guy ships them across as well so that looks like a good option the way I see it.

As for the seats. wonder if the Wrangler TJ seats can get installed. they are foldable as well, will try to give it a shot next time round. will have to look for a good one at the scrappies.
ad1329 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 14:38   #2445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
Which one is the mahindra HT. I nerve heard that mahindra was selling a HT officially.
Any links to the pics or article on this HT

the mahindra HT is being made and installed by the mahindra customisation division. visit www.mahindra-customisation.com. you ll find all the details with pics over there.

mahindra is not selling this HT "officially" thru its dealer network. it is part of the customisation work for which u have to give them ur Thar to their mumbai workshop for more than a month.

that said, the customisation team seems to be very technically knowledgable and professional going by the interaction i have had with them in the last few days.

personally i would feel more comfortable and confident getting the HT work done by professional company guys rather than third-party installers. besides, the fit and finish of their HT looks impeccable.

the only hitch is the time period and taking the Thar all the way to mumbai and back. you mumbaikars are so lucky!!

Ar.Naved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks