Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:55   #2356
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Manveet
The laundry list seems, I need to look good and people say so so let's have it. Suggest you drive stock with alloys of your choice and decide rest later. There is no end to what we can spend on looks and neither any for what we think is desirable.

Let it grow on you, it works, just like wife

Last edited by vnambiar : 2nd October 2012 at 22:58. Reason: Quote
vnambiar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:48   #2357
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your inputs vnambiar. If I read my post again, I can understand why you get that impression.

However, I have done two test drives already and am sure that horn, tires, rims, steering wheel and front seats are among the first few things that will HAVE to be changed. Secondly, I will have to get rid of the side facing rear seats and look for the best quality easily removable/ installable half soft-top that I can manage. These are the basic usability parameters for me.

Rest I agree with you that the jeep will grow on me. It has been successfully doing that for the last few months.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:33   #2358
XD2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
... However, I have done two test drives already and am sure that horn, tires, rims, steering wheel and front seats are among the first few things that will HAVE to be changed...
Hi Mavneet,

You can look at couple of suggestions that BD sir has posted on DKG's thread, these seems a nice to-do:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2436798

I recall having a similar list that you have, but after around a month of ownership, I'm of the opinion that you may end up liking the canopy and the steel wheels as well.

For the bullbar, I also did get that, but now feel that switching to different bumpers would have been a more logical choice.

One thing on changing to front facing seats, it does become a task getting in/out. I liked the idea of the innova style double folding seats posted here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2616314
XD2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 19:29   #2359
Senior - BHPian

Another new Thar on TBHP, need Color / Tire suggestions

Hi all, after spending the past fortnight in exploring the pre-owned route I have now decided to go for a brand new Thar. Will be negotiating and closing within next 7-10 days.

Any suggestions on Mist Silver vs. Rocky Beige?

Local tyre wala's are recommending that I speak to the dealership beforehand and ask for Bridgestone OE tires as they will fetch me the maximum resale.

They are also recommending the 255/65/16 Yoko Geolander. Is this a good choice, or can I go to 275 as well. And what are the alternatives that I should consider?

Last edited by manveet : 8th October 2012 at 19:31.
Old 8th October 2012, 22:13   #2360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
Hi all, after spending the past fortnight in exploring the pre-owned route I have now decided to go for a brand new Thar. Will be negotiating and closing within next 7-10 days.

Local tyre wala's are recommending that I speak to the dealership beforehand and ask for Bridgestone OE tires as they will fetch me the maximum resale.

They are also recommending the 255/65/16 Yoko Geolander. Is this a good choice, or can I go to 275 as well. And what are the alternatives that I should consider?
Congrats on your decision. Rocky beige looks great IMO. Yoko Geolanders have a good tread pattern and look very good, BUT they only have a 2 ply sidewall. So, if you take this off road significantly, you are likely to encounter a lot of sidewall punctures.
Old 9th October 2012, 02:29   #2361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
BUT they only have a 2 ply sidewall. So, if you take this off road significantly, you are likely to encounter a lot of sidewall punctures.
Slightly OT- Really? Do they have only 2 plys? Any idea about the constituent of the plys on the sidewall? Just curious.

Spike
Old 9th October 2012, 10:11   #2362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet

My choice wud be the rocky beige out of the two. Do the dealers really negotiate on price?
Old 9th October 2012, 11:52   #2363
BHPian

IMO Rocky Beige is the color if you plan to keep it like a traditional jeep. Modifications and Stickering will look better on Silver. This is from the pictures and Thars I have seen.
Old 10th October 2012, 09:23   #2364
BHPian

Checked a Thar upclose (again) at one of the showrooms and loved the vehicle . The vehicle looks crude and raw , which I loved

Sahyadri Motors (pune , pashan) gave a quote of 7.77 as compared to 7.9 of silver jubilee (pune , camp) in Mid may 2012 .

When I was moving the 4x4 lever around (from 4H to 4L) it was rubbing against the console. The wiper stock is difficult to operate , poor ergonomics. If I plan to fix seats (front facing , innova ones , side folding) like nitin_80 did (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2927251) , won't it be very difficult for people to get in and out of the vehicle?

The dealer is offering set of 5 alloys for 27500 onwards. he told me that there were 4-5 options. does it sound like a good deal ?

Accessories list has a "half canopy with pipe" . what is this pipe that will come with the half canopy?

Also the booking amount is 25k and the waiting is around 4-5 months :O
Old 10th October 2012, 13:00   #2365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
Checked a Thar upclose (again) at one of the showrooms and loved the vehicle . The vehicle looks crude and raw , which I loved

The dealer is offering set of 5 alloys for 27500 onwards. he told me that there were 4-5 options. does it sound like a good deal ?

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?
Why do you want to put alloys on Thar?
Don't even install the wheel caps - stock black steel wheels look magnificent.
Which color are you opting? Rocky Beige is simply awesome.
Old 10th October 2012, 13:05   #2366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?
Why do you want to put alloys on Thar?
Don't even install the wheel caps - stock black steel wheels look magnificent.
Which color are you opting? Rocky Beige is simply awesome.
Alloys look cool. I don't like the black steel wheels although the wheel caps look fine. I like red the most. Followed by rocky beige. I feel young ppl can pull off red well
Old 10th October 2012, 13:59   #2367
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so I am still not sure about Rocky Beige vs. Silver Mist. Both cars are in stock and available for immediate delivery. Have insisted on Bridgestone tires as they will give me max resale as per tyre-wallahs.

Dealers are not negotiating on price, but yes, some discounts on accessories are possible - for which they will be quoting today.

In accessories, I am thinking of the (1) Side-step, and (2) Rollover Bar - have given them part no. of South Africa version and asked to check if it is the same. Will also be going for the (3) Head-light and Tail-light grill.

Once I take delivery, plan to change the wheels and tires immediately. Still waiting for inputs on tire size. Attached are photos of Silver Mist Thar on 255/65/16 Yoko's on stock rims. Will replacing stock rims to alloys make the tires look broader? I would like to go for something broader (from an aesthetic perspective, so that they fill the wheel wells better).
The first picture is a little misleading but I liked it so couldn't resist posting it.

Any thoughts whether I can go to 265 or 275 width, and in that case if I should reduce dia to 15".

Also, inputs on alternatives to the Yoko Geolander? Am looking for A/T.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc_0144-copy-copy.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc_0147.jpg  

Last edited by manveet : 10th October 2012 at 14:02.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 11:38   #2368
Senior - BHPian

I have raised a expression of interest for a test drive for that on mahindra website last month. it is more than a month and nobody bothered to call up for scheduling
Old 11th October 2012, 11:49   #2369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt
I have raised a expression of interest for a test drive for that on mahindra website last month. it is more than a month and nobody bothered to call up for scheduling
Its Mahindra. .....its only the jeep bug that keeps going :-)
Old 12th October 2012, 07:44   #2370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt
I never got any response since feb 11. And i kept reqesting on the site every 6 months.

What works is call your delaer and leave your number with him. They'll call you back when they have a TD vehicle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks