Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 15:36   #1
BHPian

VW Polo 1.2 TDI - My Experience & Review

Car Selection
  • Two Swift’s had already been owned
  • The Fiat service could be forgiven but the test drive car with a failed wheel bearing could not be
  • The test drive Jazz that Arya Honda provided was filthy, ride quality very harsh and dashboard was given the thumbs down. Of course this is a very personal choice.
  • The initial thought was to book the 1.6 Polo but with the i10 A/T being heavy on the wallet and the need to make long driving trips, tilted the scales in favor of the diesel
  • Last but not the least: Chethan, who so graciously has replied to every question each of us had about his Polo His ownership thread went a long way in making us confident of our decision. Thanks Chethan!
Dealership Experience
  • There is a lot of discussion around this and hence putting down some of my thoughts
  • My expectations: I don’t expect the sales rep to talk a lot or give me a demo of all the ‘features’ of the car. However I do expect them to be courteous, forthcoming with clear information & provide a reasonably nice test drive car to showcase their product
  • Arya Honda, Concorde Motors, Ichiban Nissan & VW Downtown; All of them were very courteous, attended to me as soon as I got there, let me know everything that I asked and let me test drive whatever I liked though in the case of VW it took time as there were a bunch of people waiting before me to do the same.
  • The car was booked on 27-July at VW Downtown and was promised at or before 3 months elapsed. We took delivery of the car on 28-Oct and it could have been done say a week earlier. All the three email communications sent by me to them were answered promptly. There was no follow up besides these mails. I was called by them to inform me that the car would be dispatched and that I could start making the arrangements for full payment.
  • My overall experience at VW Downtown was excellent and so was the feedback give to them.
Driving Experience
  • I have driven her for about 15 odd kms. So far. Will put on the miles this weekend.
  • With the height adjustment and telescopic steering, the number of ways you can choose to seat yourself is astonishing. Getting the right position takes sometimes.
  • The headrests are quite protrusive as pointed out earlier but it did not really hamper too much view in the rear view mirror.
  • The headlight beam seems good so far. I’m not sure if I did I did the right thing by pre ordering the H4 Xtreme power bulbs. But will change them anyway.
  • The clutch is super soft for a diesel!
  • The turbo drag did not bother me too much, at least yesterday, as I was driving very sedately.
  • The cabin is nice and quiet. Could have been quieter.
  • The Apollo Acelere’s: Well so far they seem fine. But the compound is still a hard one and hence I don’t think they are going to be anywhere close to the i10’s Michelins. I need to check the air pressure though.
  • The fog lamp throw gives you a better view of the side of the road. Very useful
  • The controls did not take time getting used. It has always been very easy for me to switch thanks to the years of driving the Ikon and Corsa Sail.
  • The MFD; well it has a bunch of functions that I need to still read about. Really nice to have the facility to set speed limit for yourself before the car alerts you.
Accessories
  • Rubber floor mats including the boot, Mud flaps & a Tyvek car cover
  • Like to have accessories: Full sun shade set, paint protection film, the RNS 310 sound and navigation system & a roll of sound proof material. Currently everything is out of budget.
Old 29th October 2010, 17:22   #2
BHPian

Congrats, NevGin!

What colour is your Polo? Looking forward to your snaps.

I am glad you are satisfied with the service provided by VW Downtown Bombay. That is a refreshing change.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 29th October 2010 at 17:25.
Old 29th October 2010, 17:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Congrats, NevGin!

What colour is your Polo? Looking forward to your snaps.

I am glad you are satisfied with the service provided by VW Downtown Bombay. That is a refreshing change.
@nowwhat: Thanks. It is Glacier Blue. I will post some pictures over the weekend
Old 29th October 2010, 17:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
@nowwhat: Thanks. It is Glacier Blue. I will post some pictures over the weekend
I love that colour! I saw it for the first time when I went to take delivery of our Polo and I was thinking aloud whether I should have gone for it instead.

Glacier Blue looks fresh and is a low-maintenance colour.

I would still suggest you buy the Jopasu duster (Large Gift Pack) from eBay or from their office in New Bombay (I think). That way you will need to get your car washed only once a week.

The Polo TDI is a good choice. I have sat in Chethan's car here and couldn't hear any noise inside the cabin. It is also a surprisingly peppy car from what I could make out. The mileage is astonishing when compared to our 1.6 so I hope you put in many, many happy miles!
Old 29th October 2010, 18:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!! The first glacier blue on the forum. Welcome to the Polo club Surprising to see that you had a good dealership experience. I had a terrible experience at VW Downtown.
Old 29th October 2010, 21:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Bro.
Post some pictures .
Was I20 diesel in our list by any chance?
Cheers
Old 29th October 2010, 21:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your VW Polo NevGin.

An ownership report without pics is like a cake without icing. Pictures please!

Always wear your seatbelt and drive safe.

Amith
Old 29th October 2010, 23:32   #8
BHPian

congratz buddy!
What about the pics?
Old 30th October 2010, 21:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I love that colour! I saw it for the first time when I went to take delivery of our Polo and I was thinking aloud whether I should have gone for it instead.

Glacier Blue looks fresh and is a low-maintenance colour.

I would still suggest you buy the Jopasu duster (Large Gift Pack) from eBay or from their office in New Bombay (I think). That way you will need to get your car washed only once a week.

The Polo TDI is a good choice. I have sat in Chethan's car here and couldn't hear any noise inside the cabin. It is also a surprisingly peppy car from what I could make out. The mileage is astonishing when compared to our 1.6 so I hope you put in many, many happy miles!
@nowwhat: Thank you. I normally use a simple chamois leather cloth on the days the car is cleaned with water. I need to really see Jopasu in action with the number of recommendations on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Congrats!! The first glacier blue on the forum. Welcome to the Polo club Surprising to see that you had a good dealership experience. I had a terrible experience at VW Downtown.
Thank you. Yes read in great detail your experience with VW Downtown and was just hoping that mine would be better till the end. Luckily it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Congrats Bro.
Post some pictures .
Was I20 diesel in our list by any chance?
Cheers
Thank you sir. Yes the i20 was most certainly considered and not tried simply because we have an i10. There was no reason other than that. Its a wonderfully competent car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Congratulations on your VW Polo NevGin.

An ownership report without pics is like a cake without icing. Pictures please!

Always wear your seatbelt and drive safe.

Amith
Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
congratz buddy!
What about the pics?
Thank you. I hope to take the pictures sometime tomorrow. Will post them asap.
Old 30th October 2010, 22:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car man
Drive safe. And yes, report without pics is incomplete on TBHP :-)
Old 31st October 2010, 02:26   #11
BHPian

Hey NevGin very much congratulation on your Polo. Glacier Blue looks fresh. Post the pics ASAP.
Old 31st October 2010, 08:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car. Good to know you had a nice showroom experience, as all reports on the forum so far have not been very encouraging (There is a thread running on this topic). Enjoy the car and do post pics of your glacier blue Polo...
Old 1st November 2010, 09:16   #13
BHPian

Congrats, we are trying to book a Polo pretty soon, would love to see pics
Old 1st November 2010, 22:32   #14
BHPian

Some pictures

To begin with managed to get just a few. Hope you like them.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo 1.2 TDI - My Experience & Review-1.jpg  

VW Polo 1.2 TDI - My Experience & Review-2.jpg  

VW Polo 1.2 TDI - My Experience & Review-3.jpg  

VW Polo 1.2 TDI - My Experience & Review-4.jpg  

NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2010, 22:37   #15
BHPian

Bulbs Changed

I changed the bulbs this evening to the similar sized H4 Philips Xtreme Power. The bulbs have made a tremendous difference in terms of visibility.

The bulbs were sourced from Powerbulbs, a UK based online retailer and arrived today. It takes about 6 to 7 working days to get them to your doorstep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks