Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2010, 15:27   #76
BHPian

After having owned 5 fiats in the family (Uno, Petra, Palio MJD, Adventure 1.6, Linea 1.4), i am ready for the newest addition in the family - the Tjet !

I am in the process of selling my old opel corsa today and booking the Tjet @ Pandit Auto Pune, since the Tjet is not yet launched in Bangalore.

I checked with Pandit that the Tjet + is 9.82 lacs on road. They are offering extended warranty free of cost therefore reducing about 5k. After reducing the Pune road tax and adding Bangalore road tax, i am estimating the car to cost me about 10.4 lacs. Am initiating the booking process over the weekend and would create a new thread for my experience.

Cheers
vinay
Old 15th October 2010, 15:31   #77
BHPian

To all the turbo experts out there - I remember reading multiple articles which state that turbo engines, specifically the petrol ones, require a cool down (idling the engine) before switching off the engine. How does it hold up on the Linea Tjet?
Old 15th October 2010, 15:33   #78
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
320km/45l = 7.12 km/l
Don't be shocked! After hard-revving, I have managed to get 5 kpl out of my Vtec . Used up 35 liters for the 320ish kms. 8 - 9 kpl not bad after redlining again & again. Then again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishsegar View Post
I fully agree with you. It is going to be interesting to see how easy it is to drive in city traffic.
- There is a hard acceleration on reaching around 2000 rpm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
I hope even below 2000rpm there is good usable torque for city driving.
If you are caught below 1,500 rpms, you will get bogged down. Downshift imperative. After 2,000, there is a sudden burst of acceleration, yes....but even at 1,700 rpms, the turbo is spooling enough to provide the kind of momentum you need in the city. It is not much of a bother, except for the most newbie driver.

I have to admit, it took a while for "fast" and "Linea" (together) to sink in. Seriously, what a car! Even the brakes are A+.

Quote:
To all the turbo experts out there - I remember reading multiple articles which state that turbo engines, specifically the petrol ones, require a cool down (idling the engine) before switching off the engine. How does it hold up on the Linea Tjet?
Always (I mean always) idle the turbo for 45 - 60 seconds before shutting off.

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2010 at 15:35.
Old 15th October 2010, 15:50   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't be shocked! After hard-revving, I have managed to get 5 kpl out of my Vtec . Used up 35 liters for the 320ish kms. 8 - 9 kpl not bad after redlining again & again. Then again!

I have to admit, it took a while for "fast" and "Linea" (together) to sink in. Seriously, what a car! Even the brakes are A+.
GTO, we all know your love for free revving engines, and with the T-Jet you seem to have had a ball - the best of both worlds if i may so, the torque of a diesel and a free revving petrol (that sounds amazing to make things even better). Really looking forward to your review.
Old 15th October 2010, 18:16   #80
BHPian

GTO we all are eagerly waiting for your extensive test drive report.

I was not able to control my curiosity so I went ahead and arranged a test drive from the web.

Here is my experience:

Before the test drive:

I got a call from Pune and the person on the other line was very courteous and asked me about my details. And he mentioned that the near by dealer in NCR will contact you.

I got a call from the dealer and the test drive was arranged. I also got a call from Pune asking me whether the dealer had contacted me for the test drive.

This is a welcome move from Fiat and it gives a very good first experience that the things are changing at Fiat.

As promised the car was at my door step at 5:00 PM today. It was a gleaming sunbeam beige Linea Tjet plus demo car.

I was not interested in checking out the features as I have a GP. I was more interested in the test drive and wanted to check out the interior quality.

Man what an improvement from the regular Linea, you feel as if you have stepped in to a car which is in C+ segment. The quality of plastics is much much better, the leather seats are awesome, the chrome finish adds sporty touch.

The NVH levels inside the car are well controlled and the cabin is quiet silent. However, I did hear wind noise from the right side door (the windows were all rolled up).

Now the real test, put the car in first gear and you will immediately come to know that this one kind of beast which will definitely put a smile on your face. Press the accelerator and this car will push you back and will lounge forward like a sling shot. Slot the second gear and then press the accelerator, you will get the same feeling.

It is very addictive and will definitely spoil you. I will not divulge in to handling part as we all know what this chassis is capable of.

It is worth mentioning that the brakes are just awesome and will bring the car to dead stop in no time.

Now here is the part which will definitely burn the pockets unless you control your inner urge:

I checked the FE and it was showing 22.1 l/100 KM!!! Just imagine how addictive this machine is.

-PK

Last edited by pk_del : 15th October 2010 at 18:21.
Old 15th October 2010, 19:04   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
Now here is the part which will definitely burn the pockets unless you control your inner urge:

I checked the FE and it was showing 22.1 l/100 KM!!! Just imagine how addictive this machine is.

-PK
Is this the Avg Consumption or the Instant one.. I am not able to believe if this is the Avg consumption.. Whatever Pedal to Metal drive being done should result in atleast 6-7km/lt... Can it be as low as 4.xxkm/l.. I am surprised rather shocked..

I believe on daily "normal" usage it should give 10-11km/lt and on highways 14-15km/lt (again a normal driving style)..

On heavy foot/spirited driving.. it should give 8-9km/lt in city and probably 12-13km/lt in highway.. Awaiting GTO reports.

-Sathya

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 15th October 2010 at 19:08.
Old 16th October 2010, 08:18   #82
BHPian

Everyone here talking about "improved, soft touch plastics" for the interiors on the Tjet but Sorry, I fail to see what's new, improved and soft touch about them. It's exactly the same as in my June '09 Linea. Disappointed !

The leather used on the Steering wheel cover and gearknob has taken a step back; it's dark grey and not black and has a rough feel to it. Disappointed again!

The toolkit is no longer under the spare wheel, but in a cheap canvas bag that's held in place using Velcro! Disappointed again!

The biggest improvement in the Tjet is in the pickup in the 1st and 2nd gears, and the free revving nature of the engine. The Tjet seems eager to jump of the line but that's it. In gear acceleration(read 3rd and 4th) from 20 kmph , under normal city driving conditions, didn't feel to be much quicker than my '09 Linea.

The alloys are drool material, but the wider rubber will affect the economy. The MID on the test drive car showed 6.5 kmpl, which is understandable , as everyone would have been driving with a heavy right foot.

As far as the leather seats are concerned, they are just OK. Nothing special or Italian about them ! Probably because I have better leather in my car!
Attached Thumbnails
Quick First Drive: Fiat Linea 1.4 T-JET-img_4495.jpg  

Old 16th October 2010, 13:00   #83
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
As far as the leather seats are concerned, they are just OK. Nothing special or Italian about them ! Probably because I have better leather in my car!
Yes, although I have seen it in pictures only,I thought the same about the leather cover on steering and gear knob. The shine is not there. Same about the dashboard, doesn't look like much has changed except I think the grain size on the plastic has been reduced.

@ghost_rider: OT:Your seats look fabulous. Could you please tell how you fixed the extra thigh support cushion highlighted in yellow in the below pic? Also was extra cushion used in areas highlighted in white? Could you post some work in progress pics of the seats if you have it?
Quick First Drive: Fiat Linea 1.4 T-JET-img_4495.jpg

Last edited by UKR : 16th October 2010 at 13:05.
Old 16th October 2010, 13:01   #84
BHPian

the fiat guy in my area told me fit and finish has been improved in all new models....i am thinking of MJD as mileage is my priority. I wish 1.6 MJD was coming soon but its taking too much time!
Old 16th October 2010, 19:10   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Everyone here talking about "improved, soft touch plastics" for the interiors on the Tjet but Sorry, I fail to see what's new, improved and soft touch about them. It's exactly the same as in my June '09 Linea. Disappointed !
Exactly my thoughts! Read this post which I wrote in June when I spotted a test mule T-jet at my dealer in New Delhi. And now after seeing the interior pics posted by Sid in this thread, I can confirm that the leather upholstry was the same as well. Italian or not, it is good but nothing to drool about.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1944760-post374.html

Quote:
The leather used on the Steering wheel cover and gearknob has taken a step back; it's dark grey and not black and has a rough feel to it. Disappointed again!

The toolkit is no longer under the spare wheel, but in a cheap canvas bag that's held in place using Velcro! Disappointed again!
Nice observation. Only someone with your eye for detail can spot it so quick. Cheers!

Quote:
The alloys are drool material
Absolutely,

Quote:
haha! Not many people can match you in taste sir.

Hell of a lot confused on whether I should trade in my GP for the Tjet+. Don't know what value would the dealer give to it.
Old 16th October 2010, 21:00   #86
Senior - BHPian

at last fiat has printed a brochure worth showing off. This is only the cover. I will post the full t-jet brochure once the official Test drive review comes up. GTO, when is it coming?

And yes, I do have old memories also intact.
Attached Thumbnails
Quick First Drive: Fiat Linea 1.4 T-JET-dsc00002.jpg  

Quick First Drive: Fiat Linea 1.4 T-JET-dsc00013.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 16th October 2010 at 21:04.
Old 16th October 2010, 22:11   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
at last fiat has printed a brochure worth showing off. This is only the cover. I will post the full t-jet brochure once the official Test drive review comes up. GTO, when is it coming?

And yes, I do have old memories also intact.
Sid, your collection lacks the single-page Palio Stile Multijet brochure. Do you want me to contribute it to your collection?
Old 16th October 2010, 22:36   #88
Senior - BHPian

I have that too. But somehow I don't have the palio NV leaflet in which the car is shown in purple colour. The launch brochure of the adventure is something which i really like, especially its wild cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Quick First Drive: Fiat Linea 1.4 T-JET-photo1260.jpg  

Old 17th October 2010, 19:50   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't you notice that the texture has improved? (Softened)
Old 17th October 2010, 21:49   #90
BHPian

GTO,
You are making us to wait for too long! Only few hours are left in this nice weekend and please don't spoil it by not putting your review here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks