Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 13:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
What is that area?? (Marked in Squre)
Is these for spekar or A/C vents or just a dummy space ??
that is normal roof lining and it shows the fabric pattern. used flash for that pic.
Old 12th October 2010, 13:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

How much it will cost for T-Jet Alloys and Tyres (both set of 5)? Is it possible to fit those directly into Punto 90 HP without any alteration?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Vinu
Old 12th October 2010, 15:34   #48
ajai_dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai_dev View Post
I pointed out to him that i may buy Cruze LT or the Linea 1.6L MJD and told him about what the Chevy engineer had told me "sir this car internal body is 65% high grade steel industrial strength steel" he smiled and said "our cars like the Punto and Linea also have 60-65% high strength steel".
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
He must be talking about SSAB Swedish Steel.
It is quite a big name!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
+1. That would be SSAB, i guess!

Yep its SSAB thanks for the spell check found this on the SSAB website.

Quote:
The co-operation between Fiat Group Automobiles and SSAB Swedish Steel started with the side-collision bar for the first version of the Punto. “Since then,” says Giancarlo Bertoldi, Director for Interiors Engineering and Design of Fiat Group Automobiles, ”the use of high-strength steels in Fiat cars has increased tremendously, especially since the second version of the Punto. In all these years, these materials have undergone a huge evolution and this accounts for their greater use in the Grande Punto: from 28 percent to 67 percent. This means that, today, a good portion of the car body is made of high-strength steel. Better still, 17 percent is extra and ultra high-strength steel.“
DOCOL - SSAB meets the high requirements of Fiat

I wonder why Fiat does not put this fact on ad's and leaflets, Chevy surely does show off the 65% high grade steel fact a lot.

Old 12th October 2010, 15:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Well lets hope they are looking at this thread and incorporate it!

Anyone else been successful with a test drive?

@Delhi guys

Has HIM motors shut shop?
Old 12th October 2010, 15:46   #50
BHPian

Nice report sid

I myself had a test drive today at Fortune motors,Thane.
The interiors feel much better than earlier and the leather upholstry looks excellent.
The overall comfort that the seats offer is just amazing.
The engine sound is negligible at idle.Slot her into first and the car literally lunges ahead.Slot into second gear and floor the accelerator and the car just flies ahead.The power delivery is quite linear and you dont feel any turbolag whatsoever.
Before i realised i was driving at 120 and the strong chassis of the car just masks the speed.The power and the gear ratios did remind of my petra 1.6.
The car will need minimal gear changes.As i got down the flyover there was a red signal ahead and i lifted my foor from the accelerator.The car was in fifth gear.The speed reduced to 60 and the car was going ahead at that speed without me touching the gears or the accelerator.The car even travels ahead smoothly at 40kmph in fifth gear without the engine sounding strained.The torque will just impress all of you iam sure.
Fuel economy on mid showed 17.11 liters/100kms with average speed being 26kmph.
Old 12th October 2010, 16:06   #51
BHPian

Hats Off Fiat!!

Finally Woke up to the requirements of the market!!

Let us see how the sales charts are changing..
Old 12th October 2010, 16:59   #52
BHPian

Awesome report Sid. I'm dreaming of a Punto T-jet Sports if I have to replace my Punto MJD E+

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
How much it will cost for T-Jet Alloys and Tyres (both set of 5)? Is it possible to fit those directly into Punto 90 HP without any alteration?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Vinu
I dont know excat amount, but I'm sure it is going to cost you a bomb. PS : Punto alloy wheels are 13000+/wheel :(.
Old 12th October 2010, 19:25   #53
BHPian

Kudos to FIAT in launching the much awaited Tjet.
A 6 speed MT would have been raised the stakes more considering that hatchbacks (i20) now come with 6s MT.
Old 12th October 2010, 19:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
Kudos to FIAT in launching the much awaited Tjet.
A 6 speed MT would have been raised the stakes more considering that hatchbacks (i20) now come with 6s MT.
I wouldn't base my purchase decision based on the number of gears. The gear ratios, if set right, are all that count.
IIRC it is only the i20 diesel which comes with 6 gears. Are there any other hatchbacks which do?
Old 12th October 2010, 22:51   #55
BHPian

Anyone done a proper TD yet ? please post it soon ! i might as well just go to the TATA showroom seen in Sidindia's pics, it's near my place......
Old 13th October 2010, 13:32   #56
BHPian

Good review Sid, you covered almost all the queries which prospective buyers might have however I too am not a fan of the retro look of the dials but that's IMO . Exteriors & interiors look pretty good especially leather on the doors but I fail to understand why doesn't FIAT improve the fit (panel gaps which you pointed) !!

It looks a serious contender for almost all cars in that price bracket as it offers quite a lot and amazing torque would definitely keep people happy and interesting addition to the price bracket with Vento and now T-Jet to challenge ANHC. May the best car win
Old 13th October 2010, 14:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

Good one Fiat!

Fiat has finally done it...atleast hoping so. I always liked the Linea looks and it is surely the most beautiful car in the C segment.

Now, it also makes sense under the hood with the T-Jet. But, the price factor might be a hinderance. 8.55 ex-showroom can be somewhere around 10 lacs on the road. Even if 10 lacs is still cheaper than the most expensive Honda City, it will take some effort to bring City sales down.

This is made for sheer-power lovers. Just look at the comparison with other C segment cars:
Comparison with cars in its segment:

Car
Power
Torque
Fiat Linea T-Jet
115 / 5000
207 / 2200
VW Vento
105 / 5250
153 / 3800
Hyundai Verna
103 / 5500
149 / 3000
Honda City
118 / 6600
146 / 4800
Maruti SX4
104 / 5600
145 / 4100

Thats a huge torque. Skoda Laura has 250 Nm torque with 1.8 engine. Rocking power.

However, another hindering factor along with the price could be the FE. FE is going to be lower than the City and Vento on any day.

Fiat is currently loosing ground heavily due to their extremely poor sales of Linea and Punto. Lets hope Fiat is reborn with T-Jet.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th October 2010 at 14:27. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors, also Preview before Submitting messages. Thanks
Old 13th October 2010, 15:13   #58
BHPian

I think the Tjet looks like awesome package for driving enthusiast’s, but FIAT should have offered initial discount as festive season is around, that would have made a buzz! As the prices are very close to ANHC and Vento, i have my own doubts, on how many takers will FIAT have at that price point. As the Brand FIAT need’s to get establish in India for 10+ lac's range; coupled with A.S.S from Tata.
Old 13th October 2010, 15:13   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
However, another hindering factor along with the price could be the FE. FE is going to be lower than the City and Vento on any day.

Fiat is currently loosing ground heavily due to their extremely poor sales of Linea and Punto. Lets hope Fiat is reborn with T-Jet.
FE might not be too high with the T-jet at the same, It can be too low owing to the Torque the 1.4 T-Jet motor produces. The torque will definitely help reduce the number of gear shifts. Driven sensibly the T-jet would probably yield mileage pretty much at par with competitors if not better.
Old 13th October 2010, 15:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

Ealier Punto / Linea had rough texture for dashboard - people say 'plastic quality is bad'

New Punto / Linea (t-jet of course) have smoother texture in the same material - now they say 'plastic quality has improved'

It was not the plastic quality, it was the texture guys!!

Most Viewed