Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 11:56   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
1. Factory alignment issue, tires worn badly at 1800 km.
2. Front brake sensor malfunction.
3. Oil cum filter change at 8000 km. Costing 11,500 rs.
4. Horn replacement.

Now yesterday another problem cropped up... rear brake sensor malfunction.
Quote:
She sometimes runs into half engine power which then gets sorted out by itself.. seems its due to emission issues..
Unfortunate, it seems that poor reliability is standard with all German cars. The "half engine power" you speak about is the engine going into "safe mode". Please ask them to connect their diagnostic equipment, check the stored history and find out why exactly your engine was moving into "safe mode". Whenever your ECU senses something wrong, it'll limit the max rpm to keep the engine safe.
Old 17th November 2010, 20:24   #62
BANNED

Ok guys. AW BMW 3 is now running on 18 inch alloy wheels. Ride is too good now. Went with Roadstone N3000 tyres staggered fitment.

Front 225-40-18
Rear 255-35-18

Tyre pressure is kept at 35 psi all around.

Alloys are M3 replicas with aggressive offset. Car looks like a monster now. Will be posting pics soon.
Old 17th December 2010, 22:02   #63
BHPian

re: Poor Man's M3 - Alpine White BMW 320d @ 110,000 KMs

Hey Taran,
I had the same problem on my car in the states. It was in 2007, the car has close to 15000 miles on her and I noticed uneven tire wear. It was strange, because I had never seen wear like that. The ride was super noisy, and the tire wear was angled in each button of the tread. I approached BMW and they said it was a defect with the tire compound in the run-flats. There was a an incompatibility with the suspension set-up and the tire compound. And I Wasn't the only one with that complaint. BMW offered to replace all four tires if the customer brought the car in before the first 10000 miles. Since I was already over that, they paid for two tires, and I had to pick up the tab on the other two. This was BMW Knauz in Lake Bluff, Illinois. Hope you have it sorted out.
Old 18th December 2010, 00:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

Wow bro! Sounds awesome! Should be one sweet looking ride!

Can't wait for the pics

I guess the warranty for some of the components is void now?

Also, consider getting the Carbon fiber BMW emblems - will really go well with your ride! Attached a pic for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Poor Man's M3 - Alpine White BMW 320d @ 110,000 KMs-wb160201.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2010, 11:04   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
Hey Taran,
I had the same problem on my car in the states. It was in 2007, the car has close to 15000 miles on her and I noticed uneven tire wear. It was strange, because I had never seen wear like that. The ride was super noisy, and the tire wear was angled in each button of the tread. I approached BMW and they said it was a defect with the tire compound in the run-flats. There was a an incompatibility with the suspension set-up and the tire compound. And I Wasn't the only one with that complaint. BMW offered to replace all four tires if the customer brought the car in before the first 10000 miles. Since I was already over that, they paid for two tires, and I had to pick up the tab on the other two. This was BMW Knauz in Lake Bluff, Illinois. Hope you have it sorted out.
Well anyways I have got rid of the runflats and running on tubeless 18 inchers.. ride is much smooth and comfortable now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Wow bro! Sounds awesome! Should be one sweet looking ride!

Can't wait for the pics

I guess the warranty for some of the components is void now?

Also, consider getting the Carbon fiber BMW emblems - will really go well with your ride! Attached a pic for reference
No the warranty isnt void on any of the components till now. I am using the bmw recommended tire sizes so they cant void the warranty.

Thanks for your advice bro but I think as of now.. one should never modify a bee-em logo. White and blue reflects the free state of Bavaria.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:18   #66
BANNED

Short term review..

Completed 19,000 kilometers.. in about five months.

Got the service done at 18000 KM. costed rs 13250. 5.2 Litre OIL, OIL filter and brake pad diagnosis = 500 rs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything running smooth now. Brake pads need replacement.. OEM from dealer costs rs 32,000 all four pads including front and rear sensors.

Ordered from Tisher BMW, for about $300 including sensors, shipping. Will be taking my car to carnation to have them replace or will be doing it myself.. isnt a hard job.

I simply love the car.. smokes **** out of everything.. Few days ago had a super sprint with merc cls, was able to keep up with a 1.25 cr.. LOL

I cant just stop myself from revving her hard.. get a mileage of 7-8 including highway and Chandigarh city.

Will be putting up pics soon... 18 inch wheels look real cool.

Had a front left tire burst on the highway though.. big pothole.. costed me rs 6500. had the rft spare in trunk with hydraulic jack. I guess welcome to India.

Mods please update title to "Poor Man's M3 - 320d - 19000 KM"

Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 16:57   #67
BANNED

got the brake pads changed from my old trusted mechanic.

everything working smooth except for the power windows.. they are taking their own decisions.. roll down anytime they want..

will be visiting the bmw chd tommorow.
Old 29th December 2010, 18:43   #68
Senior - BHPian

^awesome 19k taran. It seems you are unraveling all the BMW errors and help company update softwares and plan ahead for other customers on the fast lane.

Pics awaited.

Cheers!
Old 30th December 2010, 19:32   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unfortunate, it seems that poor reliability is standard with all German cars. The "half engine power" you speak about is the engine going into "safe mode". Please ask them to connect their diagnostic equipment, check the stored history and find out why exactly your engine was moving into "safe mode". Whenever your ECU senses something wrong, it'll limit the max rpm to keep the engine safe.
GTO bro

They replaced the exhaust pressure sensor today under warranty to fix this issue.. they had all the error codes logged in car... cost rs 5000.

Quote:
got the brake pads changed from my old trusted mechanic.

everything working smooth except for the power windows.. they are taking their own decisions.. roll down anytime they want..

will be visiting the bmw chd tommorow.
driver side power window module needed to be replaced. under warranty.. parts will be here next week.. untill then no windows...

cost rs 4500.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd January 2011 at 18:28. Reason: posts merged
Old 30th December 2010, 23:17   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

It really is scary the way you are describing every other part malfunctioning in just 6 months. Why dont you sit down and discuss it with the BMW staff? I mean did you get a lemon or something by mistake or what? Or is this normal for BMW? For god sake you paid a huge amount of money for this car.
Old 31st December 2010, 11:30   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It really is scary the way you are describing every other part malfunctioning in just 6 months. Why dont you sit down and discuss it with the BMW staff? I mean did you get a lemon or something by mistake or what? Or is this normal for BMW? For god sake you paid a huge amount of money for this car.

^^ Agreed. Even i feel the car is facing niggles way too often. I think the dealer deserves an earful from your end. Why are these things happening this frequently? I am sure its frustrating for you
Old 31st December 2010, 18:18   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
I think the dealer deserves an earful from your end.
Poor dealer is all I can say. On what grounds do you want to give the dealer a earful? Did the salesman build the car? Is the service advisor not giving him proper service?

AFAIK, the dealer is replacing whatever needs to be replaced promptly. If one gets bad service, it's a different matter. But I don't understand why the dealer should get a earful when he is not at fault!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2011, 10:05   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Poor dealer is all I can say. On what grounds do you want to give the dealer a earful? Did the salesman build the car? Is the service advisor not giving him proper service?

AFAIK, the dealer is replacing whatever needs to be replaced promptly. If one gets bad service, it's a different matter. But I don't understand why the dealer should get a earful when he is not at fault!
I am not talking about service promptness. Wouldnt the quality of the vehicle raise doubts if such problems keep cropping up over & over again ???
I am not talking about the usual 'German reliability' issues here.
All i am saying is this seems to be a sore thumb out of an otherwise fantastic product quality that BMW provides. How else would 1 explain so many issues within 1 year of the car ?
I had an i20 1.4 auto which we finally sold off a few months back. Not even 6 months and less than 12k (well driven and kept) it visited the workshop no less than 8 times for sometimes recurring niggles and major different issues at others. So the i20, while a good vehicle otherwise, kept giving us problems as we were the unlucky ones to get a faulty product.
We wrote multiple e-mails to HMIL for providing us with a replacement vehicle as they had provided us with a problematic car.
When i said that, what i meant was he should surely make the dealer know about the problems the car keeps facing !
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:31   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
driver side power window module needed to be replaced. under warranty.. parts will be here next week.. untill then no windows...

cost rs 4500.
@ Taran, when all the parts are being replaced under warranty, what are you paying the Rs 4500 for?
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:35   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am very much pleased with the car.. these small niggles happen. She puts a smile on my face everytime I just press the big round Engine Start Button.

Quote:
^^ Agreed. Even i feel the car is facing niggles way too often. I think the dealer deserves an earful from your end. Why are these things happening this frequently? I am sure its frustrating for you
Dealer is quite nice as of now.. but they do get greedy sometimes..

brake pad diagnosis rs 500!!
wind washer fluid = 250rs.

Quote:

Correct GTO

Quote:
I am not talking about service promptness. Wouldnt the quality of the vehicle raise doubts if such problems keep cropping up over & over again ???
I am not talking about the usual 'German reliability' issues here.
All i am saying is this seems to be a sore thumb out of an otherwise fantastic product quality that BMW provides. How else would 1 explain so many issues within 1 year of the car ?
I had an i20 1.4 auto which we finally sold off a few months back. Not even 6 months and less than 12k (well driven and kept) it visited the workshop no less than 8 times for sometimes recurring niggles and major different issues at others. So the i20, while a good vehicle otherwise, kept giving us problems as we were the unlucky ones to get a faulty product.
We wrote multiple e-mails to HMIL for providing us with a replacement vehicle as they had provided us with a problematic car.
When i said that, what i meant was he should surely make the dealer know about the problems the car keeps facing !
If I face any more problems I will surely escalate this to BMW IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
@ Taran, when all the parts are being replaced under warranty, what are you paying the Rs 4500 for?
I was just letting you guys know the price of the parts.. so that more and more data could be collected on this wonderful website.

Most Viewed