Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 23:16   #61
BHPian

Congrats on your buy, I am planning for a used Safari.

Saw couple of them and only the 3L seems to be quite reasonable in second hand market. I am not interested in 2L safari.

I have one question and need some clarifications from the seniors Safari owners from this forum.
Has Tata stopped using the 3L engine, I dont see this engine in any of the new launches including in commercial segment like- Sumo, Winger.
Will this engine be faced out in future and will it be a risk to buy a 3L safari and later face a issue with spares ?

I would look forward for your opinion for my purchase decision

Thanks in Advance !!
Old 29th July 2010, 07:25   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Please find the answers.

1. Yes the space is less, but i can fold the seats without removing, so i can get the place. when i say its for my pet, i will be always keep them folded. so problem saved.
2. yes there is work pending which i have mentioned earlier. please find the pictures. the gaps have to be covered with sponge(seat with rexine covers), seat covers, painting the base. planning to change the entire entiriors then it will look cool.
3. when i say foldable (the seat which you can fully fold an use the space(like Jazz seat, avaiable in tata indica, marina etc).
4. the entire project costed me around 7k.(which includes the seat, labour, and the tinkering work for the locks & seat and movement of middle row seat to 3 inches before to give a little leg room).
5. i dont think so your warrenty is avaoided. since he just drills two holes in the body base, and 2 places welding and tinkering work for locks near the baby seat for the new seat.

please let me know if you require any information.
Thanks for very comprehensive response and I just have only one more request. I think, we need to meet sometime, somewhere in Bangalore
I will PM for further things.

Prem.
Old 29th July 2010, 08:04   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
aravind BS : Has Tata stopped using the 3L engine .. ,

Will this engine be faced out in future and will it be a risk to buy a 3L safari and later face a issue with spares ?
The 3.0 Dicor was stopped when the 2.2 Dicor was launched. The only 3.0's that Tata manufactures now is the base DI version you see in the 207 DI. I dont know if the Common Rail unit is the same one that is on the 2.2 version, but dont expect it to be the same one.

Either way, pls go for the 2.2 version which is the current engine.
Old 29th July 2010, 08:33   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind BS View Post
Has Tata stopped using the 3L engine, I dont see this engine in any of the new launches including in commercial segment like- Sumo, Winger.
I will agree with Condor, but present 3.0L engine has been used in the 207DI, but its not using the CRDI its on a normal engine.(we can call it as a base version).

and if you drop the safari for a service then(spares & mechanical parts) it will de taken care by service centre
Old 29th July 2010, 09:08   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The 3.0 Dicor was stopped when the 2.2 Dicor was launched. The only 3.0's that Tata manufactures now is the base DI version you see in the 207 DI. I dont know if the Common Rail unit is the same one that is on the 2.2 version, but dont expect it to be the same one.

Either way, pls go for the 2.2 version which is the current engine.

The 207D or the 3.0 ltr Safari Dicor engine is hailed by the A.S.C of TATA's as bullet proof engines.

Everytime, i go for my Dicor service to the TATA station, the service advisor's always says this. The only reason being, the same engine serves many Utility vehicles of TATA's without a single niggle and is a seasoned engine.

Ever heard of any 3.0 Safari Dicor having troubles, but not the same with the 2.2's ( I still love the 2.2's )

But if someone is able to afford a 3.0 ltr Safari, he can go and live his dream, since they are equally good
Old 29th July 2010, 09:33   #66
BHPian

So, pavan, what you are saying is that 3.0l engines have lesser niggling problems than 2.2? That's a good sign then. A used 3.0 is a great deal!
Old 29th July 2010, 11:02   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Have to disagree with Pavan on this. The 3.0 DICOR shares the same block with the Tata DI 3.0 engine which is fairly bulletproof. But if you look at the problems that 2.2 has had, it is never with the engine block/pistons/cylinders etc.. Majority of the problem are with the common rail system and associated sensors. So, please don't go by biased opinions. 3.0 DICOR & the 3.0 Turbo DI engine only share some major engine parts but their reliability are not the same. Besides, the Common Rail system is also different between the 3.0 and 2.2 so you have to consider parts availability also. You definitely won't have issues sourcing parts that are shared with the 3.0 DI engine, but I suspect Common Rail parts could be a problem down the road. This engine was offered only for less than two years due to the delays in 2.2 VVTI.

But then again as the saying goes, it's your money don't take my word or Pavan's for it...
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:15   #68
BHPian

Speedy Racer. Great modification work. Can you please post a few pics showing the gap getween the third and middle row. Will it be decent enough for a child and/or a small made person?
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:08   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Ever heard of any 3.0 Safari Dicor having troubles, but not the same with the 2.2's ( I still love the 2.2's )
Pavan, how many 3.0 Dicors have we heard of on TBHP ? I can recollect 3, and touch wood all 3 have been good. There may be a couple more. We have far more 2.2s in our midst. And the feedback about these is also more, giving more material for us evalute.

+1 to the points by @4x4addict. The main part of the 3.0 Dicor unit is the common rail unit, and that's where one must focus his attention on. The underlying 3.0 unit is tested, proven and is not where the big problems may happen.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:24   #70
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the deal and buy, I am sure you paid between 4.5 to 4.8 lacs. it has Michelin tyres too. Looks like it will last another 25k easily. Thats good thing about 3rd row seat modification.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:46   #71
BHPian

Dear Speedy Racer,

Congrats on your buy-happy motoring on the roads of Bangalore. Your vehicle looks good and boy you will scare us hatch backs of the road!!!

Regards,

Col J H Mayne.
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:44   #72
BHPian

I agree with pavan based on the views i have from my freinds & mechanics and also as seen in many forums. Recently i came to know two incidents where the new engine had to be compltely replaced by TATA under warranty.

Its a common comment in the Used car market that 3.0 litre version is better as they have minimal issues with history of more than 150,000 kms. I had one for sometime.

yes of course these might be one off cases and always newere engine is good.

BTB, isnt it better to wait for the engine perfoamnce of more than a lakh kms to judge, especially since its from tata's stable.

My view is very specific to the value for money/reliability front for safari, definitely for someone who can afford a new one, the new 2.2 engine is better.
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:47   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcruise79 View Post
Speedy Racer. Great modification work. Can you please post a few pics showing the gap getween the third and middle row. Will it be decent enough for a child and/or a small made person?
Hi Sid,

yes it is sufficient for childrens as well as the Thin Persons. will not be good for the Heavy aged peoples.

you can find the gap in the mod pictures. its almost all 1.5 feet.
Old 8th September 2010, 15:09   #74
BHPian

You may have problem with RTO guys as the seating capacity has increased. Also in insurance claiming in case of an accident.
Old 27th September 2010, 20:33   #75
BHPian

Intial Owner ship 10,000 kms

Hi All,

finally got the new shoes for my car, and also got the service (10,000) kms,

and the bill was minimal,(4000).

have installed the MICHELIN LTX A/T2 where in each tyre costed me 7,100.

now the car is having better control on the road.

Had faced a minor problem, due to the rain on Friday & Sat, some water has gone into the starter motor, so which is given for servicing.

apart from that vehicle is really performing well.
Attached Thumbnails
Experience in Purchasing a Used Safari-miche.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks