Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 19:22   #451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The smoothest gear shift is at 2000rpm for the Figo TDCi. If you press the acc pedal too much and turbo spools up quicker then it won't be very smooth. Be light on the throttle and upshift at 2000rpm. Anything below and your lugging the engine when you upshift. Also the revs fall very quickly once you press the clutch, so you need to rev match unless if you upshift very quickly.

The smoothest gearshift is 3500rpm slamming it into the higher gear and still being on full boost in the higher gear. The car really flies at that time.
Ok, let me try the 2,000 rpm shift today (though I guess I used to shift around that mark initially, but then shifted to a lower value due the jerks). Will report the results here. The thing I will try different is being light on throttle as I upshift.

Currently I shift at 1,500 and yes, the rpm falls to around 1,000 in the higher gear initially, so I guess I would be lugging it for a short while

By the way, the 3,500 rpm won't work now as the car is still in run-in, let it cross some 4-5K kms and then the fun begins . What's your Odo currently?
Old 25th November 2010, 21:39   #452
Senior - BHPian

Just came back home.

As said first gear shifts comfortable between 1200-1800 range.

second gear I tried to shift at RPMs from 1500-3500 none of the shifts ended as jerks.

3-4, 4-5 should be above 2000 otherwise engine may lug depending upon the road condition.

I then played along with the clutch and found hat releasing the clutch too hastily did end up in a jerk, but it was not too slow as described before!

3-4 and 4-5 too
Old 25th November 2010, 23:53   #453
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Ok, let me try the 2,000 rpm shift today (though I guess I used to shift around that mark initially, but then shifted to a lower value due the jerks). Will report the results here. The thing I will try different is being light on throttle as I upshift.

Currently I shift at 1,500 and yes, the rpm falls to around 1,000 in the higher gear initially, so I guess I would be lugging it for a short while

By the way, the 3,500 rpm won't work now as the car is still in run-in, let it cross some 4-5K kms and then the fun begins . What's your Odo currently?
Mine is at 2,600kms. I just kept it below 3000rpm for the first 1000kms. After that occasionally till 3.5-4Krpm.

If you baby the car too much it gets bogged down in the long run. If you occasionally open up the engine, the car remains free.

With the figo it's very noticeable. 2-3 days if you drive with a light foot and don't exercise the turbo you'll feel it become sluggish. Drive at high rpm's for few minutes occasionally you'll see the car remain free revving and eager.
Old 26th November 2010, 02:10   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Just came back home.

As said first gear shifts comfortable between 1200-1800 range.

second gear I tried to shift at RPMs from 1500-3500 none of the shifts ended as jerks.

3-4, 4-5 should be above 2000 otherwise engine may lug depending upon the road condition.

I then played along with the clutch and found hat releasing the clutch too hastily did end up in a jerk, but it was not too slow as described before!

3-4 and 4-5 too
I too did my round of testing. The results are as follows
1 → 2 : Anything over 1,700 rpm, and my car lunges forward. First gear is very short
2 → 3 : This is my problematic area. Still not getting the sweet spot. But certainly it's not as easy for me as you mentioned your's (1,500 - 3,500). May be I'm releasing the clutch a bit too fast. Need to try releasing a bit slower tomorrow.
3 → 4 and 4 → 5 : anything over 1,500 works fine, no jerks

So basically I need to work on my first 2 shifts.

Quote:
Mine is at 2,600kms. I just kept it below 3000rpm for the first 1000kms. After that occasionally till 3.5-4Krpm.

If you baby the car too much it gets bogged down in the long run. If you occasionally open up the engine, the car remains free.

With the figo it's very noticeable. 2-3 days if you drive with a light foot and don't exercise the turbo you'll feel it become sluggish. Drive at high rpm's for few minutes occasionally you'll see the car remain free revving and eager.
You are spot on about the eagerness part, I've noticed that too. After a session of free revving, the car is on its toes, bouncing in enthusiasm, and wanting to have another sprint. By limiting my revs, I didn't mean I am making it crawl. Just that I'm new to diesel and its characteristics. Also this is the first time I am getting to "run-in" a car, so just a bit cautious, thats all.
I've touched 3,000 rpm a few times, but mostly I limit it to below 2,500. I wouldn't call myself a sedate driver.

By the way I hope we are not hijacking Joethomasv's thread
Old 26th November 2010, 09:54   #455
BHPian

I will try upshifting around 2000RPM and report.
I do not see much issue in 1st to 2nd gear.

It is mostly in 3rd onwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
How is the clutch play? You have 60K KMS of experience.
It is not as smooth release as it is in Swift. In swift complete clutch gets released when you release 80% of the pedal. In Figo, I felt complete clutch gets released when you release 20-30% of the pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
May be I'm releasing the clutch a bit too fast. Need to try releasing a bit slower tomorrow.
I felt the same and tried releasing it damn slow and jerk disappears.
But I can't drive that way as the vechicle speed comes down so much
Old 26th November 2010, 10:58   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post

I felt the same and tried releasing it damn slow and jerk disappears.
But I can't drive that way as the vechicle speed comes down so much

It does not slow down too much. To gain confidence intially try revving upto 2500 to 3000 and then up shift with slow clutch release. I think you will have to unlearn what you learnt while driving the swift. Cheers!
Old 30th November 2010, 01:42   #457
Senior - BHPian

I TDed the Figo last week, I think they had either a Vxi or exi for the TD. I expresssed my interest in Titanium and asked how the USB outlet would be provided. the SP informed me that it will be provided in the glove box through an internal cable. Is this information correct? If so, will I have to keep the glove box open everytime I want to plug in the USB drive or keep the USB drive inside the glovebox? I would not be comfortable to keep my mobile inside while driving for example. I appreciate advice from anyone who has gotten the USB thing done.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:10   #458
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I TDed the Figo last week, I think they had either a Vxi or exi for the TD. I expresssed my interest in Titanium and asked how the USB outlet would be provided. the SP informed me that it will be provided in the glove box through an internal cable. Is this information correct? If so, will I have to keep the glove box open everytime I want to plug in the USB drive or keep the USB drive inside the glovebox? I would not be comfortable to keep my mobile inside while driving for example. I appreciate advice from anyone who has gotten the USB thing done.
The wire can be provided inside the glovebox or just in front of the centre console. The glove box is usually done so that you can just plug the USB drive in and leave it in there. Song navigation is from the unit.
Old 30th November 2010, 10:55   #459
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, it is not for your mobile phone. It is for the USB (Pen) drives. You connect it and leave it in the glove box and keep the glove box closed. It reduces the clutter. In any case, I don't think too many phones come with USB port.
Old 30th November 2010, 15:10   #460
BHPian

Quote:
I would not be comfortable to keep my mobile inside while driving for example. I appreciate advice from anyone who has gotten the USB thing done.
If you are carrying all your music in your mobile, you can connect to the head unit through bluetooth or aux-in.
Punto also has the USB in the glove box.I think it is placed there for safety of your USB drive or HDD, so that in a parked car nobody will see it and get tempted to flick it.
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:39   #461
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the shifting of gears, I never do based on RPM's . I do on the basis of the power and never had any issues of getting bogged down or jerks. I feel the sychronisation of release of clutch & acc pedal is most important for shifts.
But as said by vid, shifts at higher rpms give more comfort than in early upshifts.
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:58   #462

Last month I went to my local ford dealer for the fog lamp and usb cable installation. Previously I was using aux connector to my ipod.
Fog lamp was easy 20-25 mts job but they never got the USB cable to work with the ipod. They tried with 2 cables but no luck, the stereo won't recognise the ipod, in the end I told them to forget it and I will get some other accessories for the cable price.
Another reason not to install the cable is the quality I mean the cable is really stiff and I was afraid that it may damage the port of the ipod.
Here are the pictures that I clicked.
Ford Figo Titanium TDCi : Initial ownership report-18092010804.jpg
Ford Figo Titanium TDCi : Initial ownership report-18092010805.jpg
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:47   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The wire can be provided inside the glovebox or just in front of the centre console. The glove box is usually done so that you can just plug the USB drive in and leave it in there. Song navigation is from the unit.
So one would need to be a bit more careful when using the glovebox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
AFAIK, it is not for your mobile phone. It is for the USB (Pen) drives. You connect it and leave it in the glove box and keep the glove box closed. It reduces the clutter. In any case, I don't think too many phones come with USB port.
I have an Iphone 4. I do have random USB drives, but the biggest one is 8GB. The iphone is 32GB of which around 18 GB music. That means 3 USB flash drives at the least - the glove box will become a USB box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
If you are carrying all your music in your mobile, you can connect to the head unit through bluetooth or aux-in.
Punto also has the USB in the glove box.I think it is placed there for safety of your USB drive or HDD, so that in a parked car nobody will see it and get tempted to flick it.
I did not notice this in my Punto TD. In any case it has been vetoed by the home ministry. I do agree about the safety part, but if it is a mobile, I am more likely to forget it in the glove box

thanks to all of you for the info! I have some more questions:
do you think the ICE is adequate? I remember the SP telling me that I cannot upgrade as it is factory fitted!
also, if I upgrade the tyres does it affect the warranty?
I read in some of the previous posts that the car seems to become low slung if it is loaded (more occupants/ luggage). is the GC compromised further in this case?

one more question: If I get a sunroof fitted later, does that void any warranty? Does it impact/ compromise the safety in any way?

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd December 2010 at 18:49. Reason: Added question
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:00   #464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
thanks to all of you for the info! I have some more questions:
do you think the ICE is adequate? I remember the SP telling me that I cannot upgrade as it is factory fitted!
also, if I upgrade the tyres does it affect the warranty?
I read in some of the previous posts that the car seems to become low slung if it is loaded (more occupants/ luggage). is the GC compromised further in this case?

one more question: If I get a sunroof fitted later, does that void any warranty? Does it impact/ compromise the safety in any way?
The ICE is definitely adequate for the segment. If your not satisfied replace all 4 door speakers with 5"X7" oval speakers from JBL. Then go for change in Head unit then if needed amplifier and sub.

If you want to listen using your iphone, the bluetooth audio streaming is the best. It's so easy and the sound quality is also very decent. No glove box no wires nothing.
Old 23rd December 2010, 14:35   #465
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo Titanium TDCi : Initial ownership report

Joe,
I have some doubts
How is the sound quality from the ford HU?
Does the peach colored interior is reflective?
Please clear my doubts
SHK

Last edited by shk 8896 : 23rd December 2010 at 14:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks